Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

PXG Gen 7 Irons - 2024 Forum Review

1 minute ago, Javs said:

In that round I played I was seeing a higher ball flight. I didn’t need more height, but it is still very penetrating. That’s what really amazed me the most. The extra height wasn’t ballooning it was still a penetrating flight. 

I'm not getting any of the ballooning shots at all.  They have all been the penetrating flight

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 minute ago, Josh Parker said:

I'm not getting any of the ballooning shots at all.  They have all been the penetrating flight

Yes that is what surprised me. Some of the shots were towering, but they still went the distance and cut through the wind. 

Play like a champion today!

Just now, Javs said:

Yes that is what surprised me. Some of the shots were towering, but they still went the distance and cut through the wind. 

For someone that has always struggled to get the ball height, my worry was def ballooning shots and I'm not seeing them at all.  Still getting my distance has been awesome!

1 minute ago, Josh Parker said:

For someone that has always struggled to get the ball height, my worry was def ballooning shots and I'm not seeing them at all.  Still getting my distance has been awesome!

Sounds like a winning combo for you! I was pleased with my first round with them. I played White Wing and there are more elevated greens there. I loved hitting those towering shots that flew long and landed soft. Also it wasn’t too much spin. More of a hit and bite. 

12 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

it is really cool to see a shot that goes 90-100 feet up but still looking “normal” I’ve never really experienced it consistently. I’m starting to see it more and more with these irons where initially I wasn’t seeing much or at least thought I wasn’t.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

On 8/5/2024 at 12:37 PM, Josh Parker said:

Introduction:

Hello Spies and a big thank you to PXG for this amazing opportunity!  My name is Josh just as the screen name suggest and I can’t wait to get this testing going with the PXG irons.  I am out of the Austin, Texas area and practically play golf year-round.  I joke around with the wife by saying that my home course practically pays me to play with the amount I am out there. (She puts up with my habit somehow) 

golf1.jpg.67891b4d766c98e4ec34b066b468134c.jpg

I have two smaller children (8 and 3) and spend as much time as possible with them.  They both love to get on the course and help dad out with filling divots or just riding around on the course looking at the deer.  Neither of the kids are super interested in golf yet but have shown some interest and I am hoping that they decide to enjoy the game at some point.  

When I’m not golfing, I am doing Real Estate and just started up my construction company which is what my background was prior to real estate.  What can I say, I like to stay busy.  Enough of the small talk, let’s get to why we are all on this site.  The Golf!  I am currently around a 4 handicap with some big goals for the remainder of the year.  The biggest of them, breaking 70.  I have hit 70 twice but haven’t broken that magic number yet and dang it, I want that badge! 

20240716_152846.jpg.2754e2aea0699baaf4e696a6e2b3f578.jpg

What do I know about PXG?  Well, I know that they like to make some noise in this industry and shake things up.  They treat our Military and First Responders great and that alone is something I wish more companies did!  They have always been a little more on the expensive side and some have said that they are all for show.  So here is what I found on their website:  

SIMPLY PUT, PXG CLUBS ARE THE DUCK'S NUTS*

*A colloquial but most compelling way to describe the world’s sexiest, most forgiving golf clubs that launch higher, go farther, feel softer and have a sweet spot the size of Texas.

I would say those are some mighty large claims and as someone from Texas….. well let’s just say there are plenty of statements about Texas.  Ha

So, what can we expect from these statements and what will we see during testing? 

1.      While they claim to have a sweet spot the size of Texas, will that equate to tighter dispersion than my current gamers? (Srixon MKii ZX5’s and ZX7’s)  I will be using my Flightscope Mevo at the range to test this out as well as on the course testing.

2.      How does the fitting compare to other fittings I have had in the past?  Do they go thru a certain process?  What questions are asked?

3.      As a golfer who has struggled to get the ball flight higher, will the polymer filled clubs accomplish this?  Does their claim of being a high launch club stand true?

4.      Can the PXG clubs beat out the gamers and help me hit the goal of breaking 70?

20240728_152915.jpg.f7a11d30714fe30ab6a673785ec5e7bf.jpg

If anyone has anything specific that they would like to see tested, please don’t hesitate to ask. 

Fitting: 

PXG is known for "The Ultimate Fitting Experience" and with over 200 locations it would be easy to assume that is true.  They also have about 22 stand-alone fitting studios that from the photos and videos I have seen are a golfer's dream come true.  To check those locations out, feel free to click HERE  

The entire process has been flawless, and I made a comment earlier about how on top of it, PXG has been.  From being notified about the test to having the fitting set up was in a whole 2-day span and they have yet to disappoint.  

I did not have the ability to go to a satellite location as the closest one was 3 hours away and I wanted to get this rolling.  I have 3 locations within 30 minutes of the house and the outdoor one was almost a month out.  I chose to do my fitting at a local place called Golfinity which is a 2 story lounge with 20 hitting bays, putting green, bars and Robogolf Pro.  

20240806_124810(1).jpg.7f8f6e10f7b9ed07dba0fa7dd4209e67.jpg

I walked in and was greeted by the staff and told them I was there for the PXG fitting and they directed me to the side of the building where the PXG fitter was working with another golfer.  

My fitter Gavin had reached out to me in the morning of my fitting, and we had a good 20-minute conversation on my goals, what clubs/shafts I was using, and what my ideal shot shape would be, amongst other things, so I was ready to get warmed up and jump right in to the fitting.  He came and introduced himself and proceeded to finish up with the prior golfer.  As I sat there waiting "patiently by the way" they had all of the PXG club heads out to take a look at. 

20240806_123952.jpg.82d3a854123607f28b7e3079fb6f6c11.jpg

20240806_131020.jpg.df11a8dcfbb275dfe3633da08ecbcc55.jpg

Once the prior fitting had been completed, it was go time for my fitting.  Gavin chatted about the new technology and how PXG's new Gen 7 clubs max out the C.O.R. with the USGA limit, feature the new QuantumCOR technology, a new Titanium Bezel Technology, and the thinnest face.  They have gone away from the famous Tungsten weight in the back with all the screws and instead have placed it behind the face and at the toe.  This has created better CG and boosting the MOI to add forgiveness.  

20240806_132534.jpg.d845b5ba5352f4752dbd2b056fb9ed34.jpg

After that process we jumped in to hitting clubs.  We started with steel shafts and worked through about a half dozen and while some of them were producing decent results, neither of us were quite happy, so we proceeded to move to graphite.  During this process, Gavin shared his knowledge of fittings and what he looked for in optimizing clubs for each golfer that he fits.  We then proceeded to go to graphite shafts and started off a little heavier and then shockingly went super light.  

I am waiting on the TM data to be emailed over and will add that once I have it but I can say that Gavin was more thorough than any other fitting I have been too.  We landed on a few options that "could have" worked and he wasn't satisfied with them and we kept pushing through until we were both happy with the data.  

20240806_141030.jpg.0b0da64765ee2fec602fb827cececb8d.jpg

I will wait to post final specs on the build once I have them in hand from PXG but wanted to get this out there for everyone on just how great the fitting experience was with Gavin and PXG.  

First Impressions (10 out of 10)

When I first opened the box, impressed was an understatement. 

20240812_105244.jpg.5f6eb72fad4b50370cd950e516c52f80.jpg

Every club was protected and packaged to prevent any damage during shipping.  PXG has done an awesome job of making these irons shine and stand out.  Going away from their classic look with multiple weight ports to a single port has a lot to do with the claims that PXG has made with the Gen 7 irons. 

P1000933.JPG.788c82423f1ad7f63592fa589b6cab84.JPG

Here is what PXG has claimed: 10 years in the making, new PXG GEN7 Irons are the first irons to push ball speed to the official USGA limit. Featuring new QuantumCOR Technology, Titanium Bezel Technology, and the thinnest face in golf, GEN7 Irons deliver a groundbreaking new level of speed, distance, accuracy, sound, and feel.

P1000925.JPG.f6d864b73e883b2010681ccc55b8b62f.JPG

PXG has basically taken these clubs as far as they can to make them the most forgiving clubs without a pro hitting them for you. 

20240812_105917.jpg.03c6babf11188f80e77f79c3668d0dd0.jpg

So, for scoring the first impressions, I am giving these Gen 7 irons a 10 out of 10.  PXG has been on top of it from day one.  From the initial communication, thru the fitting and even until the day the clubs arrived at the house, they kept you informed and updated.  

20240812_105227.jpg.4fe64a8f9157babcacc20de8388adacc.jpg

Good morning @Josh Parker, great intro... I am finally able to catch up on your testing thread, I know I'm way behind but summer has been crazy and i have been wanting to see how you are liking the PXG... 

committed to performance excellence

14 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Another two rounds played this weekend with the Gen 7's and I think the Srixons are on the way out.  I have doubled my height and kept the same distance with these clubs. 

I was getting a little quick today and had a few pulled shots, but overall I have seen better shot shape and stopping power. Looking forward to getting some hard data this week. 

Interesting that the Srixons are on the way out... That is really good that you found a club that is delivering what you are looking for.

12 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Hey @Josh Parker do you think if you put the lighter graphite shafts in the Srixons you would get similar results? 

12 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

1 hour ago, Jim Shaw said:

Interesting that the Srixons are on the way out... That is really good that you found a club that is delivering what you are looking for.

1 hour ago, Jim Shaw said:

Hey @Josh Parker do you think if you put the lighter graphite shafts in the Srixons you would get similar results? 

I do think the Srixons could survive with a different shaft and lie adjustments. My swing when I got fitted for those has changed and are sitting at 1* up where these are 1* flat.  Playing a 1/2in long. 

Curious if any of you have hit the 0317 T irons yet and how they compare to the Gen 7's? 

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

3 minutes ago, Chux13 said:

Curious if any of you have hit the 0317 T irons yet and how they compare to the Gen 7's? 

I have not. 

Got outside to hit into the net for a bit. Working on a few swing changes. 
IMG_0044.png.8628c31f01961a796bc310f0c844ddbf.png

IMG_0043.png.ab447774e2dbe12122309afbecf4d4e0.png

IMG_0042.png.582a5dc062a58aa1905a05441739e38f.png

Edited by Josh Parker

I’m a big fan of the turf interaction that my v-sole Sub70 659CB irons have here in southern Michigan. How do you all like the turf interaction with the Gen 7 irons compared to your previous irons?

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

11 minutes ago, jbern said:

I’m a big fan of the turf interaction that my v-sole Sub70 659CB irons have here in southern Michigan. How do you all like the turf interaction with the Gen 7 irons compared to your previous irons?

They have done well for me. I will say, the srixons prob have better turf interaction overall, but the PXGs haven't had any issues.  

The previously forecasted rain turned into a beautiful day today so the birthday boy and I decided to go golf after a well earned/ regularly scheduled midday nap. We made it 5 holes and I really didn’t have my best stuff today. I did however have a 75 yard pitch that I hit to 10’ past the hole. While I sat and watched this gorgeous high shot I could only think about how I’m going to explain this hot to you all and my buddies when it goes in the hole. Even though it went just a bit too far it was definitely the best pitch shot I’ve had in recent memory. 

So all in all not too terrible of a golf day. 

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

5 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

They have done well for me. I will say, the srixons prob have better turf interaction overall, but the PXGs haven't had any issues.  

Same here. I would say it's not necessarily a standout feature of the Gen 7 (my Edel SMS Pro's were exceptional in that regard) but it's definitely not a limiting factor for the PXGs at all.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Qi10 7w, 21, :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Accra TZ 95 stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :EVNROLL: EV8

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

So I'm going to maybe break a rule or two and mix in the PXG Sugar Daddy wedges I added to the bag along with the test Gen 7 clubs a bit. I'll go lightly on that at first and see how it takes.

The bottom line: I am REALLY liking the bottom end of my bag right now.

image.png

Carrying 5 wedges does leave me with a bit of a gapping/club selection problem at the top end, but I'll save that for another post. Left to right in this picture are a 44 degree pitching wedge and a 49 degree gap wedge from the Gen 7 P line. Then the Sugar Daddy III in 52, 56, and 60 with 10, 10, and 7 degrees of bouncy-goodness respectively.

I have to say, each of these wedges are sooo confidence-inspiring to hit. If I could ever sort out my drives and consistently put one of these in my hands for my second shot, my handicap would plummet. The Sugar Daddy's are incredibly soft and great to work with green side. And I'm really loving having a set gap wedge rather than a specialty wedge there.  Needless to say, I'm a happy tester right now.

image.png

image.png

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Qi10 7w, 21, :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Accra TZ 95 stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :EVNROLL: EV8

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

1 hour ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

So I'm going to maybe break a rule or two and mix in the PXG Sugar Daddy wedges I added to the bag along with the test Gen 7 clubs a bit. I'll go lightly on that at first and see how it takes.

image.png

Carrying 5 wedges does leave me with a bit of a gapping/club selection problem at the top end, but I'll save that for another post. Left to right in this picture are a 44 degree pitching wedge and a 49 degree gap wedge from the Gen 7 P line. Then the Sugar Daddy III in 52, 56, and 60 with 10, 10, and 7 degrees of bouncy-goodness respectively.

I have to say, each of these wedges are sooo confidence-inspiring to hit. If I could ever sort out my drives and consistently put one of these in my hands for my second shot, my handicap would plummet. The Sugar Daddy's are incredibly soft and great to work with green side. And I'm really loving having a set gap wedge rather than a specialty wedge there.  Needless to say, I'm a happy tester right now.

image.png

image.png 

Hard to beat the looks of the sugar daddy wedges.. That's a beautiful club

:PXG:Bubba Ivy 

9 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Got outside to hit into the net for a bit. Working on a few swing changes. 
IMG_0044.png.8628c31f01961a796bc310f0c844ddbf.png

IMG_0043.png.ab447774e2dbe12122309afbecf4d4e0.png

IMG_0042.png.582a5dc062a58aa1905a05441739e38f.png

This is really cool! What system is this?!?!

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

1 hour ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

image.png

image.png

image.png 

I have the Sugar Daddy III’s in 54 and 58 in the black heads. I also have the PW and GW in the Gen 7’s. Love these wedges! Easy to hit, easy to flight up or down and great spin. 

2 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

what iron were you hitting? 

Pitching wedge. 46*

1 hour ago, FallenSaber said:

This is really cool! What system is this?!?!

Mevo+

27 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

that is similar to what I am getting with my PW but I think it is 44*... How are you loving those shafts? 

So far I am liking them.  

Ok folks, here’s the numbers for the Gen 7s. I will work on gathering the Srixon data this week or early next. 

IMG_0045.png

IMG_0046.png

IMG_0047.png

IMG_0048.png

IMG_0049.png

IMG_0050.png

IMG_0051.png

Edited by Josh Parker

3 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Ok folks, here’s the numbers for the Gen 7s. I will work on gathering the Srixon data this week or early next. 

IMG_0045.png

IMG_0046.png

IMG_0047.png

IMG_0048.png

IMG_0049.png

IMG_0050.png

IMG_0051.png

Weather and 3 year old permitting, I plan to do the same with my sub 70 699 pros starting today. Is spin something you also have available? 

6 minutes ago, Coulter said:

Weather and 3 year old permitting, I plan to do the same with my sub 70 699 pros starting today. Is spin something you also have available? 

PW - Avg Spin 6478 - Smash avg 1.22

8I - Avg Spin 6646 - Smash avg 1.34

6I - Avg Spin 5579 - Smash avg 1.42

47 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

PW - Avg Spin 6478 - Smash avg 1.22

8I - Avg Spin 6646 - Smash avg 1.34

6I - Avg Spin 5579 - Smash avg 1.42

Nice numbers, and great smash. Are you worried/surprised on the PW spin number? I thought it'd be closer to 8k+.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!