What is the longest iron in your bag?

When I swapped in a 4 iron (Mizuno Pro 245 to match my Pro 243’s) and sent the G425 4h to the garage mid summer, I dropped 3-4 strokes on my index over the second half of the summer. Seriously made a huge difference in how I approach the course. I don’t even carry a hybrid now because I don’t think they work well for my swing. Sure, I’m lacking a bit in options that are 220+ out of the rough, but I’ve had way more success laying back, trying to get up and down for par and protecting bogey. For now, I’ll leave that spot in my bag open. 

Replaced my 5 iron a few years ago with a hybrid so 6 is as long as I go.

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 25deg 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM10 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Bushnell Tour V6 Shift
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow or Srixon Q Star Tour 5 Yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:   :sunmountain:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

A 5i is the longest iron i carry in the bag.  I have 'jacked' the loft on it gradually over the years to maintain the gapping i want. 

I used to swap in a 4i for a hybrid when playing in windy weather.  But i gradually developed a lower shot with the hybrid so i don't need to do that any more.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Longest iron in my bag is a 4-iron.  Fortunately, I still have enough speed to get the distance and height…on a decent swing…to keep it in the bag.  Plus, I use it as a punch-out club too, cuz, ya know, trees 🤷🏽‍♂️

Driver - Ping G410+ LA golf 65S

3wood - Ping G400 Aldia green 75S

5 wood - Ping G410 Aldia 75S

4-pw Iron - TM M3 steel fiber  i110

Ping Glide 3.0 - 50, 54, 58 Nippon 115

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

Depends.  The longest iron I own is a 4-Iron (Mizuno Pro 221 @ 24*).  In windy conditions or when my home course is playing hard and fast, I'll leave it in the bag.  When the course is soft, I don't get as much benefit out of it and I will often swap it out for a similarly lofted hybrid.  I hit them similar distances, though the iron flies slightly lower and shorter and rolls out while the hybrid flies higher and slightly longer and stops more quickly.  When I visit other courses, I'll generally carry the hybrid...it's not often I'm somewhere that I'm not helped by a high flying soft landing club that's good for 215.  There was a time when I carried a 1-iron, but that was also when I was bulletproof and could leap tall buildings in a single bound.  Older I get, the better I used to be 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 driver w/Tensei White S, Cobra F9 3W & 5W w/Hazrdus Black S,  Mizuno Pro221s 4-PW S-300s .75" long,   TM MG series 50,54,58.  Lamkin Crossline 360 Grips, Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 putter.   

The longest iron in my bag is the 6-iron.   I carry either my Maltby PTM-5 #6, which matches my set or an Adams Idea #6 which is sort of a hybrid-iron.   They're both senior flex, but the Adams feels much stiffer, so I'm thinking of re-shafting it to match the rest of my set and using it exclusively next year.   I hit the Maltby well off the tee (like on a par 3), but as I age....just turned 79.....I'm getting less consistent with it off the fairway.

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

Depending on the course, I have a 4-iron and a rescue club that I swap back and forth.

WITB

Driver:    :titelist-small: Titleist TSi3 w/ HZRDUS RDX Black6.0, A1 setting

Fairway:  :titelist-small:  Titleist TSi3 15* with HZRDUS RDX Black 6.0, 1/2 short, A4 setting

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW, 19* with HZRDUS RDX Black

Irons:.   :taylormade-small: Taylor Made P790 4-9 with KBS Tour Flt 120 Stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM9, 50, 56 with KBS Tour stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7, 60* with Tour Flt stiff shaft

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Odyssey Ten mallet

Ball:.  :titelist-small:  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Grips:. Golf Pride MCC+4, 3 wraps

Srixon 2 iron 🙂

Brandon Johnson, MBA
COO / Co-founder North American Golf Tour 

www.northamericangolftour.com

e: bjohnson@northamericangolftour.com

WITB: 

• D - Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 3w- Taylormade M1 w/ tensie pro orange 
  • 2i - Srixon 
  • 4- 5 Srixon 785 
  • 6- 9 Srixon z blades 
  • PW, GW, SW, LW Cleveland rtx 
  • true temper shafts in all of my irons 
  • putter - Odyssey #9

Just this week I got fitted for a hybrid 4 iron .  I went to PING to get fitted and I told the rep that I wanted more height ( carry ) on my 4 iron .  I can get 190 out of my 4 iron but that is total distance not carry distance .  We worked with Trackman to find right combination for launch, carry, and angle of descent .  I think the only thing I will miss is using my 4 iron for low bullet punches that occasionally come in handy. 

Wilson DynaForged Irons 

Callaway Smoke  Driver

Cobra Hybrid ( 2 iron )

Ping Hybrids (2)

Volkey Wedges (58,54,47)

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

I have 4-iron down to GW - but I regularly trade out my 4 iron with a Callaway (4I) driving iron depending on course conditions.

Titleist TSI2 - Graphite Design AD MJ-6 Stiff Shaft

Tour Edge EX10 16.5* - Proforce V2 Stiff shaft

Titleist 818h 19* - Oban Devotion 6 Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex 21 irons 4-AW - Project X PXI 6.0 shafts

Titleist Vokey wedge - SM8 54s & 58k

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Squareback Custom 

ProV1x

I have not carried anything longer than a 7 iron for probably 10 years.  I prefer to use higher numbered fairway woods.  There are 15 clubs shown below, and one of them is not used depending on course and conditions.  When I was playing my best as a younger player and using Dynamic Gold X300 stiff shafts & the balata ball, I carried 2 - W irons + sand wedge, putter, driver, 3 and 5 woods.  I still shoot in the lower 70s to low 80s, and have shot my age (77) or below 11 times this year with a best of 71. 

Driver - Callaway Paradym X 

Fairway Woods - Callaway Epic 3 and 7

Fairway Woods - Callaway Paradym 9 and 11

Irons - Callaway Paradym - 7 through A Wedge

Miscellaneous Wedges - 52 and 54 Callaway Paradym

Sand Wedges - 56 and 60 degree Callaway Jaws

Putter - Callaway Odyssey Triple Track 

Golf Ball - Titleist Tour Soft & Callaway Chrome Soft (both yellow)

Great topic folks - longest iron iron currently a 6 (28deg) (Edel SMS Forged) then a sister Edel 7i which then moves to Maltby TS1 8-Pw, 50-54-58 Indi wedges. Hybrids are all Ping G400 - 3h (19 deg), 4h (22 deg), 5h (26 deg) with the top of the bag G410 Max 10.5 and 3w (both set to small “+”).  The 5h and 6i are so close that I could easily drop either and usually it’s the 5h that sits out.  Hitting wise - the hybrids suit my eye behind the ball and send it flying.  Of course on the other end  I will still break out the Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scots and play 3i (21deg) thru Sw.  That set usually goes driver, 3wHl (17 deg) that marries well with the 3i and the TA’s forgiving cavity design and generous offset keep them fun.  I think because I am always mixing it up, the continual mix of old blades (MacGregor Mike Souchak) even at 3i thru modern designs keep things scary but a fun scary.  At 65 the game should not be about scary but rather making it easier to get around the track.   

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls.