Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Gauge Design Golf (US) vs. Gauge Design Japan

David Whitlam's name came up in the Scratch Controversy thread and I Googled Whitlam's name to find out more. Came across this on another discussion board. Interesting stuff... maybe this is very old news to everyone but I personally didn't know the history. Gauge Design Japan eventually went bankrupt in 2007. I guess Takei finally got what was coming to him...

------------------------------------------------------

December 5th, 2005

Gauge Design Golf vs. World Brands

Let the Truth be Known - An Open Letter from David Whitlam

I have been getting a few more calls lately regarding the past dealings with my ex-distributor in Japan, and I want to set the record straight.

Gauge Design Golf was founded by me, David Whitlam, in 1999. From the beginning, all of my putters have been 100% Made in the USA. I enlisted the help of an old business partner and friend, Yoji Takei of World Brands Inc. in Japan, to distribute the line. Things were going well and we were one of the hottest new lines in Japan. Finally, in the fall of 2001, I got enough funds together to register the trademarks in Japan, since that was my main market. I searched the marks and they came back already registered. It ended up they were registered to World Brands and Mr. Takei. So, I confronted Takei and asked him what he was thinking. His reply was that I can buy back the trademarks, but it was going to cost me $200,000 US. Well, let me mention that in 2001 it did not cost $200,000 to register two trademarks in Japan. In February 2002, I went to the JPGA show in Tokyo and noticed that Mr. Takei had knocked off a couple of my putters. I immediately asked him what he was doing and he replied that he needed to make some extra money so he could pay for the one tour player (Shingo Katayama) that we had signed.

At this point, I knew I was in trouble. Not only was I subsidizing Takei so he could make my brand successful, now I could not pursue a legal challenge because I just did not have the funds to file suit. In trademark law, the trademark goes to the first to register, and he had. Not only did Takei steal my trademarks, he was now violating my patent pending status in Japan. This is all from the guy who thought enough me and respected me enough to be his best man at his wedding and called me brother.

So whenever someone asks, I let them know that I am simply not too fond of this person. He has promised the world to so many employees, friends, and business partners, that he cannot keep his stories straight. One of my former collegues, Iwao Onoue of Create Products in Japan, says Takei is "Sub-Human”. Takei was stealing from him when we were distributing Odyssey. Takei was taking money here in the US, then having Onoue pay him in Japan, all while he was grey marketing into Japan and hurting the market. The sad thing is greed will get him sooner or later.

There has also been a lot of nonsense posted on websites that try to compare "Gauge Japan" product to mine stating that mill marks are bad and that they mill a finer product. This is simple nonsense! You need mill marks on the face to aid in ball spin. My product is high quality, and I use quality material and milling techniques that Takei will never be able to replicate in China. I have held and putt with the product they make: it is cheap, poorly milled, and poorly finished. How is it selling in Japan then, you might ask? Their image was already built off of my quality workmanship. Proof is in the product. Let me assure you, if China could make a better putter, then Cameron, Bettinardi, and I, would all make our putters in China. So, if you want great product made in the USA, then call me.

Any Gauge Japan products being sold or advertised in the US market are in violation of our US trademarks and patents. We would appreciate a call or e-mail notifying us of any potentially unauthorized sales.

Thank you for supporting products Made in America, by Americans.

Wonder whether any of you have heard about this issue? Gauge Design Japan is popular in Asia, thought it would be good to hear some of your thoughts.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

If I can remember right, I don't think Gauge Design Japan even exists anymore under that name. They're known as G-Field now.

XXIO should be able to help me out here.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Thanks for the article, good stuff. Good to see Made in America is hanging on.

Like I've said elsewhere on this site, you guys are not so bad off and for sure most of the products made in America are better than they actually need to be. It's all the more true with golf clubs.

Shambles

That was in 2005.

It all reads like one big soap opera.

GD Japan vs GD USA. George Takei (?) vs David Whitlam vs Eggers.

G Field, Whitlam Golf, George Spirits.

Noone really knows the truth anymore. Chris/TSG has his version. Whitlam has his version.

I actually made a brief of what I learned and dug up from different sources that were not linked to each other in any way and sent it to a fellow internet denizen awhile back. It has a bit of hearsay so I will not post it here. If anyone is interested send me a PM and I will look for it and send it to you. It starts all the way from GO> BSG- Bighitter> TSG/QualityDayDream-Chris and GD.

I had 4 GD Whitlam putters at one time and tried several GD Japan putters from friends. I will say the GD Japan had better putters overall, but there was nothing wrong with the GD Whitlam putters. I have never seen a GD-Eggers putter in person.

• SPY VIP

The truth is petty well known inside the golf industry although outside the confines of people in the business most didn't really know who to believe which ruined Gauge Design US.

It is unfortunate because Chris from TSG and George Takei are not known for there squeeky clean images in this business to say the least. Don;t have to look much further then their character to know the truth I will tell you that.

That was in 2005.

Noone really knows the truth anymore. Chris/TSG has his version. Whitlam has his version.

I actually made a brief of what I learned and dug up from different sources that were not linked to each other in any way and sent it to a fellow internet denizen awhile back. It has a bit of hearsay so I will not post it here. If anyone is interested send me a PM and I will look for it and send it to you. It starts all the way from GO> BSG- Bighitter> TSG/QualityDayDream-Chris and GD.

I had 4 GD Whitlam putters at one time and tried several GD Japan putters from friends. I will say the GD Japan had better putters overall, but there was nothing wrong with the GD Whitlam putters. I have never seen a GD-Eggers putter in person.

#TruthDigest

Yup from independent sources I hear George Takei is someone you would not want to do business with. I wonder how George Spirits is doing now and where they get their clubs designed and made.

I still love the argument that was posited to show David Whitlam "was a nobody" at the Japan golf show. The argument was that he was not wearing a tie. You gotta have more proof than that right?

G,

Nice to see you here. Board down for you too? It was fine for me til last night.

I got additional "info" after we stopped discussing as well. In the end the small market will weed itself out. Notice how GS was never well received.

That was in 2005.

PM Sent. I'd be interested in that brief xxio.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Archived