Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft Reviews - Lower Cost Options?

JonasVenture

Have you ever thought about reviewing some "lower" cost shafts, i.e. one's that are less than $100 (or even lower)? I love seeing Matt's reviews of the latest from Diamana, Fujikura, Matrix, Miyazaki, etc., but as soon as I see the price tag on some of them I usually stop reading. I'd love to spend $200-$300 on a driver shaft, but it just isn't going to happen. However, I have considered some of the lesser known, lower cost brands (Acer, True Ace, SK Fiber, etc.) from Hireko & other sites as options for me. It would be nice to see a few of them reviewed to compare to the higher-end shafts. I'm not sure how the review process and selection works, but I can't imagine I'm the only one out there on a budget!

Driver: Taylormade R11 9°, Fujikura Blur 60 S-flex

Fairway: Taylormade R11 15.5°, Fujikura Blur 70 S-flex

Fairway: Acer XDS React 18° "Machete", Fujikura Fit-On E-360 R Flex

Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0, 4-PW, Steel SuperFast 85 R-flex

Wedges: Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl 52° AW, 56° SW, 60° LW

Putter: Bionik 207 Nano Mallet Belly Putter, 43", Winn 21-inch Red/Black Putter Grip

Putter: Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ, Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Ball: Searching for a Penta TP replacement...

Callaway LR550 Laser Rangefinder

As an alternative suggestion, stick up what shaft you'd like that's too expensive. Chances are a cheaper version already exists (though with feel differences).

For example say you wanted a DI6 stiff shaft but didn't want to pay for one. I'd direct you to the ProForce V2 60 stiff or the Prolaunch Red with Speed Coat 60 regular. Then you've have a shaft within 2% of the one you want (again, excluding feel) for a signifigantly reduced price.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

For example say you wanted a DI6 stiff shaft but didn't want to pay for one. I'd direct you to the ProForce V2 60 stiff or the Prolaunch Red with Speed Coat 60 regular. Then you've have a shaft within 2% of the one you want (again, excluding feel) for a signifigantly reduced price.

MAN if you could build an iPhone app for that you'd make a mint!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

As an alternative suggestion, stick up what shaft you'd like that's too expensive. Chances are a cheaper version already exists (though with feel differences).

OK.....I know the question wasn't directed at me......but......I want a graphite iron shaft that will be close to the UST Proforce V2 95 Hybrid shafts I'm using in my 910H's.....thoughts?

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

OK.....I know the question wasn't directed at me......but......I want a graphite iron shaft that will be close to the UST Proforce V2 95 Hybrid shafts I'm using in my 910H's.....thoughts?

UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype.

Posted Image

Jonas,

Thanks for the suggestion. We have tried to work with some of the smaller companies in the past, but, as T and I often say, sometimes there are reasons that they are small. Often they aren't interested in a review or are unwilling to send in product. Companies that have a range of products usually are more interested in having their premier stuff reviewed.

All that said, we will continue to try to provide the content that you're looking for.

Best,

Matt

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

The Talamonti Shafts at least the original version of them, are $75 and are as fine a shaft as you will find. There have been several reviews of them on this site.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Archived