Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Adams Announces Idea 9031 Hybrid and Super DHy Irons

• SPY VIP

Adams Golf officially announced availability of two new hybrid clubs. The Idea SUPER 9031 can be seen as the replacement for the Idea Pro Black. It's a hybrid that's very nearly an iron. Also announced is the Idea SUPER DHy. Billed as a driving hybrid, the DHy is a modern take on the the driving iron. It's an iron that's almost a hybrid. Adams specifically designed the DHy to be more versatile than other driving irons. It's designed to be playable from just about anywhere on the golf course.

The releases are interesting for a number of reasons.

1. Adams remains the number #1 hybrid company, so just about anything they do with hybrids warrants some attention.
  2. The Idea Pro Black had a following of sorts among guys who loved the low profile design. While it won't be their best seller, it's sure to be well-received by enough golfers to justify its existence.
  3. For now it appears that TaylorMade is content to let Adams do its thing in the hybrid space. We wondered if the TMaG acquisition might spell the end of the great Adams hybrid tradition. Given that these are the 3rd and 4th Adams hybrids to hit the market in 2013, it appears TaylorMade is leaving well-enough alone.
  4. The DHy is particularly interesting as it provides an potential option for the "I just can't hit a hybrid crowd". It's also not wholly unlike the Callaway XHot Utility, which makes us wonder if perhaps we're not on the leading edge of a new trend. Will Callaway and Adams stand alone, or will others join the fray?

Here are a few pics I shot at demo day a couple of weeks ago, followed by some of the info from the Adams Press Release:

ADAMS Idea SUPER 9031

Adams 9031-1.jpg

Adams 9031-2.jpg

Adams 9031-3.jpg

Adams SUPER DHy

Adams DHy-1.jpg

Adams DHy-2.jpg

Adams DHy-3.jpg

Adams DHy-4.jpg

From the Press Release:

Idea SUPER 9031
Featuring an eye-pleasing compact 80cc clubhead, the SUPER 9031 combines a Cut-Thru sole slot with a refined crown slot. The result is faster ball speeds compared to non-slotted hybrids and traditional long irons. An ultra-thin 455 stainless steel clubface produces a trampoline effect approaching the USGA limit.

“Our goal was to improve what was already arguably the most popular hybrid on the PGA Tour, and we succeeded,” said Michael Fox, Director of Global Product Management. “When you look at the performance characteristics combined with strategically-placed center of gravity toward the toe, SUPER 9031 is the ultimate players' hybrid.”

Idea SUPER DHy
Merging the unique attributes of a hybrid and a traditional long iron, the Idea SUPER DHy is a power-packed replacement. It gives the extra distance and forgiveness of a hybrid with the shot-shaping control and workability of a long iron. A unique bulge-and-roll face technology improves forgiveness and shot dispersion.

“We set out to design this club as an easier to hit alternative to most of the utility clubs on the market,” added Fox. “Tour players consistently rave about its versatility and how ideally it launches the ball, with several asking if we can make them a full set of DHy irons!”

Models, Pricing and Availability
The Idea SUPER 9031 Hybrid will feature the Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 82gram shaft (R, S and X flex) and be offered in lofts of 16°, 18°, 20° and 23° with left-handed models for 18° and 20°. It will carry an MSRP of $199.99, with a retail launch date of May 15, 2013.

The Idea SUPER DHy will come standard with the Matrix OZIK hX3 White Tie shaft in R, S and X flex. It will be available in lofts of 18°, 21°, 24° and 27° with left-handed models for 18°, 21° and 24°. It will carry an MSRP of $199.99, with a retail launch date of May 15, 2013.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Exciting :) Lots of choices now. Callaway, Titleist (I know the 712U is a bit different, more iron than driving iron) and now Adams. And it looks like Ping are planning a driving iron. Plus all the japanese clubs like Yonex Zero and TM Gloire.

The need to sort out the names. Driving hybrid. Utility iron. Driving iron.

I have two of the Adams Pro Black 9031 and like them a lot.

As far as the driving irons go, Callaway and Titleist seem to be getting all the press but Mizuno has been making these clubs for years, Originally the T Zoid then the MP FLI HI then the MP FLI HI DLR and now the H4. I have the middle two generations of these and they are excellent.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

As a self professed Adams *****, "it" moved. Love when Adams (now under the TM umbrella of course) listens to what we commoners ask for.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The DHy looks like a boss of a tee club. If Adams has made these so they can adjust lie angles on them as well, I'd be highly tempted to put one up against the Stage 2 tour hybrid and see who is the ruler of the tee shot.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Im really liking the looks of the Super HDY, might have to take a look at them to maybe replace my 3,4 and maybe 5 iron

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 4 weeks later...

I have. I hit both. I LOVE the Dhy. The 9031 is Meh... for me. Looks funny at address, but solid feel, strong flight, and very consistent distance and direction. All you could want in an iron.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I'm interested in the Dhy as a driving iron sort of deal

Me too. Just waiting for the stores to them in stock

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The DHy looks really good. I like that the lofts are as high as 27* and I REALLY like that it is not white.

Looking forward to a review of this one.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

Saw both today, only R flex were available at that store. I'm wanting to try them badly but it'd have been unfair and fruitless.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I have a DHY coming to me, I really like the look of it. I wasn't as happy with the 9031, it felt a little harsh to me.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I have a DHY coming to me, I really like the look of it. I wasn't as happy with the 9031, it felt a little harsh to me.

That Adams club is REALLY gonna look out of place in that bag full of Callaway.....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I hit the DHY 18 degree the other day and it's pretty good. I wasn't hitting it the best but I can see a lot of people getting a kick out of it. The only reason I wasn't sold on it was because it wasn't the most forgiving but that's obvious and I went slightly right with it and had a hard time turning it over.

Archived