Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What tournaments should you play?

Rickles

I love playing period but I really love competition. Last year I played in my city championship, (I had an honest shot and finished top ten.) the state mid-am, (I had a shot at qualifying but had no shot at contending.) and my state am. (I only tried to qualify because it was at a course I play a lot and I still had no chance against the college boys, Jordan Speith won two years ago) All of that was leading up to this question? What tournaments do you think a player should play in? Should it be only those one can contend in? Should it be anything you have an honest shot at making the field in? Or should it be anything your handicap gives you a shot at even if to qualify it would require a near career round? For instance, I tend to want to make fun of the guy I played with in the state am qualifier who couldn't break 90 who was suposed to have a handicap better than 5. What do y'all think?

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Some guys crack under the pressure. Course handis and tournament handis are exclusive of each other. Never know until you try though. I say play any of them you want and can get in. Testing yourself gives you the only real answers.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Here is my perspective...

Play in every tournament and qualifier you possibly can if you really want to be a better tournament player. Nothing else can recreate the same mental toughness that you will need to succeed. Doesn't matter if you have a shot at it or not, you will still gain from the experience. Plus with any sport one of the best ways to get better is to play with/against people that are better than you. It will make you humble, and you can learn a lot just from watching them.

As for making fun of the 5 handicap guy who didn't break 90, I would suggest not doing it. We've all been there and had off days and I would hope that nobody would treat me in that manner.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm up for playing in anything I possibly can. I can beat guys in tourneys that beat me every other day, because I just play it as another round. Playing with better players can only make you better, so go for it. You obviously have the mental aptitude to play tourney golf and to me that's 95% of it. I just look at it this way, whether I win or lose, in gonna go home and get hugs and "I love yous" from my three princesses.

I play in anything I can afford and have time to. unless I clearly have no shot at making my money back, nobody likes to donate.

Tour R11s V2 8*- Devotion 75 04 tipped or Fubuki Alpha 70x

Wilson dxi 16*- devotion 85 05

Tour TM Rescue Peanut 22*- devotion 85x

R9TP 4-pw- Project x 6.0 hardstepped

Titleist sm4 50/54- Project x 6.0

ATV 58*- Project x 6.0

Kia Ma Fontana 2010

It's a tougher question the lower you get - not counting me in this! playing off 9 I'm not eligible for many comps anyway and even the mid handicap comps can see a 9 hcp balloted out if numbers are high. But the really low single figure players have to consider a lot more than a player like me.

At the Same time I've caddied at open qualifying for pro's who have far less chance of getting through than some of the 1 and 2 handicappers. Crikey there are some club pro's I know I'd beat 7 out of 10 times - you'd be gutted if you got them in a pro am team!

It's still sport and should be fun; so I tend to make a decision based on the course, the field and the state of my game. Don't like to pay out to play an awful course, against a field of county players when I'm shanking the ball all over the place.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Thanks for all the great comments guys. As usual you all have good comments and perspectives. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back. I've been away this weekend. I would like to clarify a few things.

1. I agree that the best way to get better in tournaments is to play as many as possible. However, unfortuantely I have very little money. So let me rephrase the question. If you can only afford to play in a few tournaments is it better to play in tournaments where you have a shot at contention or should you try to play the toughest tournaments where you have a greater shot at glory but are less likely to qualify or contend.

2. Plesd read my wording about the making fun thing. In my fallen humanity I want to make fun of someone, However I never have made fun of abother player other than the normal ribbing between buddies and I would never kick another player when he was down. In fact, in a tournament qualifier I try to make things as comfortable as possible for my playing partners. I honestly hope that we all play well and all qualify. That being said in an actual tournament and especially in a match play situation I want to beat the tar out of the oposition.

What's in my Bag:
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Thanks for all the great comments guys. As usual you all have good comments and perspectives. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back. I've been away this weekend. I would like to clarify a few things.

1. I agree that the best way to get better in tournaments is to play as many as possible. However, unfortuantely I have very little money. So let me rephrase the question. If you can only afford to play in a few tournaments is it better to play in tournaments where you have a shot at contention or should you try to play the toughest tournaments where you have a greater shot at glory but are less likely to qualify or contend.

2. Plesd read my wording about the making fun thing. In my fallen humanity I want to make fun of someone, However I never have made fun of abother player other than the normal ribbing between buddies and I would never kick another player when he was down. In fact, in a tournament qualifier I try to make things as comfortable as possible for my playing partners. I honestly hope that we all play well and all qualify. That being said in an actual tournament and especially in a match play situation I want to beat the tar out of the oposition.

Both very good clarifications :)

With a limited budget I would tend to play more in tournaments where I had a shot. Mostly just to get the highest chance to play more golf. Nobody likes wasting money, so I would pick the ones where there is a higher likelyhood that I would get to play more rounds. That being said it still might be worth the experience to pick one tourney a year that falls into the "harder" bracket just for the experience. Or if one is at a course you really want to play and wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to do so.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Hosted a two day tournament at my facility this weekend...

Had a guy who shot 122-137 for a smooth 259. It was a very generous 259. To get him around the golf course he wasn't playing stroke and distance and he was running to and from his ball- quite the scene.

That guy should not play in tournaments! He had a great time at the event and we had a nice little chat after the tournament. He was very appreciative for help.

Both very good clarifications :)

With a limited budget I would tend to play more in tournaments where I had a shot. Mostly just to get the highest chance to play more golf. Nobody likes wasting money, so I would pick the ones where there is a higher likelyhood that I would get to play more rounds. That being said it still might be worth the experience to pick one tourney a year that falls into the "harder" bracket just for the experience. Or if one is at a course you really want to play and wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to do so.

This is pretty much the way I have been doing it. Thanks for the input.

What's in my Bag:

Hosted a two day tournament at my facility this weekend...

Had a guy who shot 122-137 for a smooth 259. It was a very generous 259. To get him around the golf course he wasn't playing stroke and distance and he was running to and from his ball- quite the scene.

That guy should not play in tournaments! He had a great time at the event and we had a nice little chat after the tournament. He was very appreciative for help.

Wow. That certainly puts things in perspective.

What's in my Bag:

Archived