Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Crossfield Proving A Point.

Sschaffer24

So as some of you know and I've done other posts around this, I am a huge fan of Mark Crossfield and his channel. Seriously fantastic stuff.

Well recently he has refocused the channel (specifically his product testing) around real world environments. This has really shifted the narrative of his channel.

I think it's REALLY powerful stuff and could be the type of perception that can refocus our conversation.

What do you guys think? 

This video really drives the point home:

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

It's been something like 7-8 years for me. Has influenced me more in the world of golf than anything besides maybe MyGolfSpy. He's just doing phenomenal stuff.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I'm not really sure what his point is?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

been enjoying his daily vlogs lately; he kind of gives you a bit of a "peak" into his real life and goes over viewer swings.  entertaining and educational.

I also enjoyed some of the ball testing he did on course.  excellent stuff!  you can get a general feel for things in a bay but when you see it happen on the course it really makes a difference

also been enjoying the Shiels/Finch videos lately as well.  Some fun on course stuff - did a DK promo with SebOnGolf and MeAndMyGolf guys... 4 shortish videos that are fun

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

That dry ball environment data means virtually nothing compared to real world data. And that if you look purely at data (him hitting the sweetspot on spin/carry versus lockey having higher spin and similar carry) you would think Mark's drive would outperform Coach. But once you actually see how the balls perform in the real world, the "high spin" drive is still outperforming him.

Basically that custom fitting is all about feel/looks and emotional connections and we aren't going to randomly find massive gains from a new head, shaft, etc.

Check out his videos comparing balls. Really interesting stuff to see performance data versus on course performance.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

been enjoying his daily vlogs lately; he kind of gives you a bit of a "peak" into his real life and goes over viewer swings.  entertaining and educational.

I also enjoyed some of the ball testing he did on course.  excellent stuff!  you can get a general feel for things in a bay but when you see it happen on the course it really makes a difference

also been enjoying the Shiels/Finch videos lately as well.  Some fun on course stuff - did a DK promo with SebOnGolf and MeAndMyGolf guys... 4 shortish videos that are fun

I like Shiels and Finch, but I just don't get the same connection with them that I do with Mark. He seems to be shooting for a larger point more often. But they both have their heads on straight and produce A+ content.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

On course testing in any environment will give better data. I can get decent contact almost every time on the college's indoor simulator, when I reality I'm probably hitting some fat, thin, etc.

And I get super low spin numbers with my irons which I know aren't right. It's an "About Golf" brand simulator. Fairly reliable results. But I don't ever remember having a perfect lie on the course unless it's tee'd up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Mark is the man... been watching him for years.  Like MGS, he's always had a critical eye for the hype that marketing departments spew for their latest hardware.  If most amateur golfers were honest about their club-head speeds, they'd realize that the ultra low-spin formula just doesn't work for their games.  Unfortunately, the brainwashing marketing machine is just sooo powerful.  I love where he's trying to take the conversation.  

Currently (and for quite some time) gaming Bridgestone, Rife, Mizuno, Exotics and Cobra.  

I like Shiels and Finch, but I just don't get the same connection with them that I do with Mark. He seems to be shooting for a larger point more often. But they both have their heads on straight and produce A+ content.

I think they are aiming too high with their quest for the open. Shiels and Finch both have the length to compete, but have very questionable short games.

If you watch Crossfield and Coach they get themselves into similar situations as SF but make shots around the green like crazy.

I'd say Coach would have the best chance of the four to qualify.

I think they are aiming too high with their quest for the open. Shiels and Finch both have the length to compete, but have very questionable short games.

If you watch Crossfield and Coach they get themselves into similar situations as SF but make shots around the green like crazy.

I'd say Coach would have the best chance of the four to qualify.

I honestly think the best thing about Crossfield and Coach is that they don't care about trying to qualify. They both know what truly matters and is most relevant to their audience -being relatable-

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Basically that custom fitting is all about feel/looks and emotional connections and we aren't going to randomly find massive gains from a new head, shaft, etc.

Didn't your fitting at Modern Golf change your performance though?

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

It did!

And I'm wondering if that's a subconscious based "feel" thing more than it's a "this shaft provides these differences compared to that shaft" thing. Isn't it more about how I respond?

I just think it's pretty cool stuff. And I also think that Mark isn't saying custom fitting as a thing is wrong. We still need the right length, loft, etc. But if I'm gaming the Apex this year and Callaway comes out with some "new" technology next year his point is that those changes aren't going to revolutionize my game.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I like him alot, I like his product reviews and quick lessons alot

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Shiels is actually wearing thin on me. He doesn't understand statistics and uses small sample sizes, which often include clear outliers, to try to make his points.

I agree, he seems like he's trying to make shorter to the point videos but isn't doing the work for the data that's needed to really show how these clubs perform

He's good these days.

Early on he would get out there with the likes of Westwood, for example, and play what is known in the English vernacular as 'silly buggers". Slap stick to grab ass basically.

Since he has seemed to find some focus and if I go he is the one and Shiels and the rest get the pass. Having family in England the brit-ness that gets good play here is all to often seen for the silliness they are laying down that yanks find charming.

That said Crossfield does some good work now. His lesson piece with a 10 on driver CG and ball/face impact was one of the best vids ive seen anyone do in regard to position of ball off the driver and its end result. In short hitting the ball 'off the toe', which is in all but the very few cases center to left of center towards the toe is the best way I know of to dial in that driver face and find its center. And the swing for it is a natural thing that produces that on a regular basis with benifits accross the board, without going through any girations or ruining an already good set-up in search of the sweet spot was also his point. He pointed out that where we think we hit it at is usually very diffferent from where we actually did. The overall take away was that you decide where that ball meets the face and that driver is then under your control, simply because you have a spot to hit it at, rather than just hitting "it".

The guy has come a long way and is pretty darn good!

Archived