Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Putter fitting - worth it or not ?

Putter fitting - worth it, or nah...  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is paying to get fit for a putter worth it?

Through my old career Ive been fitted by Cameron studio, Taylormade Kingdom and the Nike Oven. I had equipment contracts over the years with a few manufacturers. They all fitted me relatively similar but that meant absolutely nothing with day to day performance. They all fitted me into Newport/Anser style putters 34" from 350-360g heads and a few degrees flatter than the arbitrary "standard".

The problem is, Ive had plenty or 2-Balls,Spiders,Bettinardi bb40's, face balanced belly putters, golo's, rifes and odyssey fangs or tank fangs that have all been absolutely fine. My garage looks like a schizophrenics attempt at a putter collection.

I'm using an old buttonback right now but I'd have no problem with my favorite off the rack original 2Ball white hot with the fluted shaft. And NO ONE fit me into that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If you don't mind my asking, why do you keep switching? I've seen both ends of the spectrum on this matter (lots and lots of putters vs the same putter since childhood)

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Through my old career Ive been fitted by Cameron studio, Taylormade Kingdom and the Nike Oven. I had equipment contracts over the years with a few manufacturers. They all fitted me relatively similar but that meant absolutely nothing with day to day performance. They all fitted me into Newport/Anser style putters 34" from 350-360g heads and a few degrees flatter than the arbitrary "standard".

The problem is, Ive had plenty or 2-Balls,Spiders,Bettinardi bb40's, face balanced belly putters, golo's, rifes and odyssey fangs or tank fangs that have all been absolutely fine. My garage looks like a schizophrenics attempt at a putter collection.

I'm using an old buttonback right now but I'd have no problem with my favorite off the rack original 2Ball white hot with the fluted shaft. And NO ONE fit me into that thing.

I'm with uno1337. I think that getting fit for lie, length, loft is worth while—if only to give you confidence and remove as many variables as possible to putting the ball online.

But this gets at my original comment above. I would not take as gospel, anyone who says your swing suits this putter.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I am the only person so far to cast a No vote. But I do still think a fitted putter can be helpful and important. Here's why I cast a No vote.

Your putter fitting will depend entirely (as will any fitting) on who's doing the fitting.

I've had one putter fitting only and it was at the Edel headquarters in Texas and it was a disappointment as far as the overall experience is concerned. Does the putter perform well? Yes... it does actually. But I will tell you, my $$$ fitted Edel putter preforms equal to my OTR $39 Odyssey.

Would I go through another putter fitting? It all depends. But certainly not at the Edel Headquarters.

I think that at some point we can adapt to our situation. If i have the wrong putter, I will eventually adapt to it to the point it works for me.. I also feel that is true with all of our clubs.. I also think that getting fit will make it easier to adapt. based off of the science behind it.. 

Putter fitting less so IMO, than irons, wedges, Hybrids and Driver.. 

MY $.02.... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I think we can adapt to any putter for periods of time. Basically we get streaky or fail on pressure situations. A great example is Rory. He has a conflict between how he putts, wants to putt, and the putter he uses

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've never had one, but I know guys that we're fit at Bettinardi Studios and others who were fit for a SeeMore putter and they all raved about how much they learned about their stroke and how much it helped them.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I think we can adapt to any putter for periods of time. Basically we get streaky or fail on pressure situations. A great example is Rory. He has a conflict between how he putts, wants to putt, and the putter he uses

Definitely agree, I'm usually am streaky good for long periods of time then things go south and I switch. I switch between a blade and anser styles. I prefer the blade until it doesn't prefer me.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Definitely agree, I'm usually am streaky good for long periods of time then things go south and I switch. I switch between a blade and anser styles. I prefer the blade until it doesn't prefer me.

Classic case of live by the blade die by the blade.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning,

Had to change my vote to a YES. Getting fitted for the most used club in the bag would be eye opening. It would be nice to see the spin of different face inserts or millings. Length/Lie might be a personal feeling, but shaft placement, swing arch would be valuable to improve the roll.

Thanks for starting this thread

golf set.jpg

I've never had one, but I know guys that we're fit at Bettinardi Studios and others who were fit for a SeeMore putter and they all raved about how much they learned about their stroke and how much it helped them.

I'm headed over to the PGA Superstore this morning in Atlanta to go through a fitting for the Bettinardi I will be reviewing.  I've never had a putter fitting so this should be interesting to say the least. I've also contacted The Georgia Club which is a private golf club in Athens, Ga. that is a Bettinardi "Dealer".   The Lady I talked to at the club said she had passed my request to the pro shop however I have not heard back as of yet.   Hopefully I will have at least one good fitting to provide my specs to Bettinardi so I can get that puppy ordered!

I plan on keeping the "Betty" for life as I've never gamed a high dollar putter.  I want to make it right for me. I was talking to my wife and a good friend about going with stock specs or a fitting.  Both said fitting because this putter could be special and I want to give it every chance to succeed.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'm headed over to the PGA Superstore this morning in Atlanta to go through a fitting for the Bettinardi I will be reviewing.  I've never had a putter fitting so this should be interesting to say the least. I've also contacted The Georgia Club which is a private golf club in Athens, Ga. that is a Bettinardi "Dealer".   The Lady I talked to at the club said she had passed my request to the pro shop however I have not heard back as of yet.   Hopefully I will have at least one good fitting to provide my specs to Bettinardi so I can get that puppy ordered!

I plan on keeping the "Betty" for life as I've never gamed a high dollar putter.  I want to make it right for me. I was talking to my wife and a good friend about going with stock specs or a fitting.  Both said fitting because this putter could be special and I want to give it every chance to succeed.  

Wise advice from Kelly and your buddy.  I am excited to see what this putter does for your game.  Good luck today!

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST MaxRogue ST Max 3, 5 & 7 Wooda 
Irons -      Rogue ST MAX OS  5 - AW
Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*  

Putter -    ER2
Rangefinder -  NX9 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Soft Drip

Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I'm headed over to the PGA Superstore this morning in Atlanta to go through a fitting for the Bettinardi I will be reviewing. 

I am sure you will,  but make sure you post what you learned.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am sure you will, but make sure you post what you learned.

The fitter said standard lie & loft looked great for me. He used a mirror on the floor and then a board that showed how the ball skipped when rolling. The length needs to be in the 35.5 range and he did mention I would be better off with a non toe hang putter. A face balance would suit my stroke better although I rolled a ton of putts from eight feet into the hole so I'm not convinced about that.

More info when I get home as I was called by The Georgia Club to swing by there when heading back. Two fittings in one day!

Cleveland

I had a great time today looking at and rolling a few Bettinardi putters!

IMG_2169.JPG

The Queen B 9 is a toe hang putter which the fitter said might be an issue.

He suggested this putter :

IMG_2171.JPG

It's a face balanced putter which better fits my stroke.

I rolled this one too:

IMG_2170.JPG

Center shaft model which felt really good!

Anyways I came away with knowing that standard loft and lie works for me. The best length for me was 35 inches and face balanced is the ticket for more consistency.

Cleveland

I had a great time today looking at and rolling a few Bettinardi putters!

The Queen B 9 is a toe hang putter which the fitter said might be an issue.

He suggested this putter:

It's a face balanced putter which better fits my stroke.

I rolled this one too:

Center shaft model which felt really good!

Anyways I came away with knowing that standard loft and lie works for me. The best length for me was 35 inches and face balanced is the ticket for more consistency.

I'll jump on the sword and do the B9 for you to avoid any stroke conflict

Yesterday at the PGA Superstore prior to my fitting :

https://youtu.be/S6IHMEH5bgc

Cleveland

I'll jump on the sword and do the B9 for you to avoid any stroke conflict

That's what friends are for

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I want to get fit as much for a lesson as well as learning from the SAM Putt Lab. I want a little data even if it does change me from my beloved #9

There are two approaches you can take with a putter fitting.  The first is to fit the putter based on what you learn from SAM.  The other is make adjustments to your stroke to fit the putter you love.   I think the second is harder,  but people do that that approach.  A famous example of a player that changes his stroke to match what he wants to do is Rory.

Yes. For one most important reason: to determine where you naturally aim, and if the loft is high/low. A simple laser fitting would be the minimum I would recommend. With each head you try, you WILL aim differently based on your natural view of what seems to be square. Add loft either high or low, and you could be aiming WAY off-line. So, at minimum, I would have to be fitted using a laser on each head I like, or feels good to me, to make sure that when I was over a putt, I am actually aimed where I think I am.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

After my round yesterday with my fitted ping putter I am 100000% for putter fittings. I had more 1 putt holes yesterday than I've had in a long time.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

There are two approaches you can take with a putter fitting.  The first is to fit the putter based on what you learn from SAM.  The other is make adjustments to your stroke to fit the putter you love.   I think the second is harder,  but people do that that approach.  A famous example of a player that changes his stroke to match what he wants to do is Rory.

I'm not sure how qualified my fitter was but during the fitting I asked him if someone can go from a toe-hang blade putter to a face-balanced mallet and change things up... he said probably not.  I suppose the "probably" part was more along the lines of ... "if you had a chance to practice hundreds of putts you could do it"...  I agree that it is possible but I think his point was just go with what your body wants to do and don't fight it.  

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Not sure if anyone caught the Century Link championship in Tahoe on the telly last weekend (I only switched during commercials of the JDeere...)

Anyhow - caught a part where Jeremy Roenick was putting and they showed his putter standing up all by itself.

He left it, went behind the hole, made a couple of adjustments and putt.

He still missed it, but this almost seems like cheating!

Here's a sample pic:

roenick.jpg

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

After watching the instant difference it made for Theoo this weekend I'd say without a doubt it can be worth it with a good fitting.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

After my round yesterday with my fitted ping putter I am 100000% for putter fittings. I had more 1 putt holes yesterday than I've had in a long time.

Watched this first hand yesterday. Never seen such an immediate difference equipment can make.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I'm not sure how qualified my fitter was but during the fitting I asked him if someone can go from a toe-hang blade putter to a face-balanced mallet and change things up... he said probably not.

People do it all the time; think about people that choose putters based on looks. There are basically changing how they putt to accommodate the putter. Seemore advocates changing your setup to fit the putter. If you move from theories proposed by Dave Stockton to Dave Pelz you move from toe hang to face balance. Given the same stroke going from a toe hang to a fade balanced putter will impact the direction the ball goes at impact. For me a face balanced putter tends to go right.

In the end it is about the choices you make about how you putt. These choices drive what you need in a putter. I personally would rather fit my tendencies than try to change how I putt to fit a putter.

Granted my approach to putting is fairly analytical. A player that doesn't want to delve into the details and just go by looks and feel will have a different opinion. What I discuss on the forum is information I have learned from my putting instructor

I think a putter fitting is a good idea for everyone but would not take the fitting as gospel, meaning if something suggested at the fitting doesn't feel comfortable, I'm not sure I'd commit to the change. To me, putting is about being comfortable and confident. I had a pseudo fitting once where the guy told me I needed a 33' putter so my head would be closer to the ground to read putts. Instead, it killed my posture and did not work well at all.

I had another fitting though where the guy was thorough and saw that my stance was open while I putted. He said not to change that. After looking at the numbers I had, he had a few suggestions which I use to this day when looking for a putter.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

I've been fit for my driver and irons - I've wanted to get a putter fitting because that's the worst part of my game but I'm a bit hesitant ..

Recently bought a Huntington Beach putter and have been putting lights out... Luck of the draw maybe?

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

I've been fit for my driver and irons - I've wanted to get a putter fitting because that's the worst part of my game but I'm a bit hesitant ..

Recently bought a Huntington Beach putter and have been putting lights out... Luck of the draw maybe?

Why are you hesitant to try a fitting? You don't have to change anything or maybe get a few tweaks. If you are putting lights out with that putter it might be the right fit for you

Why are you hesitant to try a fitting? You don't have to change anything or maybe get a few tweaks. If you are putting lights out with that putter it might be the right fit for you

Hesitant because the putter fitting is around 100-125 plus the cost of the putter! I bought the Huntington as a last effort before getting fit, and it's worked !

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

Hesitant because the putter fitting is around 100-125 plus the cost of the putter! I bought the Huntington as a last effort before getting fit, and it's worked !

Ping iPhone putter app is free and the cradle is $10. This is what they used at GG when I got fitted. FYI the recommendation from the app is generic vs Ping centric.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel