Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

COMBO SETS ?

Divothead

Mercy, the things you miss when you're away on business....

You can't leave us kids alone for a moment :o

I intend to spend an extended stretch in the corner with my dunce cap casting a long, memorable shadow. Was genuinely trying to help but feel so very sorry.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Am I the only one that can't read the OPs posts?

No, it looks like since he couldn't delete the post he edited each and deleted everything but the first letter. Probably have to have a single letter to save a post

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

... I don't own a watch, I don't wear jewelry and don't care too much for fashion. I like to look good of course, but what looked good to me 40 years ago still does today. So I really don't care what clubs look like in my bag. I care what it looks like at adress, but not in my bag. I have heard some on WRX say even if a club performed and looked good at address, if the cavity was too busy or had the wrong color or badging or the sole (the sole?) was something they didn't like they would never play them. Boggles my mind how shallow some are when the game is about performance and a number on a scorecard. 

... I think many of those should actually have sex with someone other than themselves. I think we might see less "this club is sexy".  :wacko:

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... I don't own a watch, I don't wear jewelry and don't care too much for fashion. I like to look good of course, but what looked good to me 40 years ago still does today. So I really don't care what clubs look like in my bag. I care what it looks like at adress, but not in my bag. I have heard some on WRKs say even of a club performed and looked good at address, if the cavity was too busy or had the wrong color or badging or the sole (the sole?) was something they didn't like they would never play them. Boggles my mind how shallow some are when the game is about performance and a number on a scorecard. 

... I think many of those should actually have sex with someone other than themselves. I think we might see less "this club is sexy".  :wacko:

I may be a little off here, but when the club is actually in motion I can't see what it looks like at all...  :huh:

That said, I like good looking clubs but I really like clubs that like me back. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I intend to spend an extended stretch in the corner with my dunce cap casting a long, memorable shadow. Was genuinely trying to help but feel so very sorry.

The finger wagging is done, now go outside and play.... :lol:  :lol:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

No time out needed in my opinion. As I mentioned above. I personally appreciate honest yet civil observations from everyone. It helps me see things more clearly sometimes, and it's much cheaper than Lasix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So is it not a good thing to have a combo set? Like

T-MB/AP3/AP2 for example?

I think most OEM are making sets to be blended nowadays so it makes sense.

I have/had been set on 718 AP1. But after a discussion with a friend last night. I'm wondering if I should combo AP1 in 4-7 and AP3 in 8-G

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

OH and to quote another friend. I think the above combo is "BadAss"

I think most OEM are making sets to be blended nowadays so it makes sense.

I have/had been set on 718 AP1. But after a discussion with a friend last night. I'm wondering if I should combo AP1 in 4-7 and AP3 in 8-G

It's funny because people have been doing it for a while. Back when Taylormade had the Tour Perferred line (2010) it was pretty common to se the MC/CB/MB married up in different configurations.

Allows a golfer to play with the forgiving clubs where they need it, and allow th to feed the ego where their ball striking is a bit more consistent.

It's funny because people have been doing it for a while. Back when Taylormade had the Tour Perferred line (2010) it was pretty common to se the MC/CB/MB married up in different configurations.

Allows a golfer to play with the forgiving clubs where they need it, and allow th to feed the ego where their ball striking is a bit more consistent.

Yep. You nailed it on the TP series.

And even further back. I had a combo of Cleveland CG2 and CG4 and then CG Red and CGYellow.

Guess i was a pioneer. Ahead of my time. Ha

Cleveland makes more than just wedges? Hmm who knew

That's the word on the street!!   the way I played yesterday, I may need to look at a combo set of the  HB Launcher and CBX irons.   :D

I think combo sets are brilliant, some of us can still stroke the ball well, and like the looks of a blade, it simply cannot handle the "blade" in the low lofted irons, usually 4-6 irons or 3-5 irons, but with a combo set I can keep the buttery soft blade look in my 7-PW, or 8-PW, and then have something more forgiving in the longer irons. Nowadays there are so many options with club manufacturers that you pretty much get your choice. My opinion is that Srixson and Mizuno have done the best job to blend them together, the looks of the sets match better than some of the other manufacturers.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Combo sets aren't bad.  Some manufacturers tailor their lines to help people put together combo sets.  As has been mentioned Mizuno has been doing this for decades.   Other manufacturers sets don't line up so nicely and as a result you may have overlapping numbers on the bottom of the club (sort of what started the issue in the thread) due to lofts and distances you hit particular clubs.    My assumption would be that if you are putting together a combo set,  you aren't just grabbing clubs;  you are looking at how each club performs and making a set that fills gaps.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Combo sets aren't bad.  Some manufacturers tailor their lines to help people put together combo sets.  As has been mentioned Mizuno has been doing this for decades.   Other manufacturers sets don't line up so nicely and as a result you may have overlapping numbers on the bottom of the club (sort of what started the issue in the thread) due to lofts and distances you hit particular clubs.    My assumption would be that if you are putting together a combo set,  you aren't just grabbing clubs;  you are looking at how each club performs and making a set that fills gaps.  

I once went into a 2nd swing store in WI when I had an unexpected free day to play, and asked for a rental.  I believe I got a combo of Nike, Adams, Cleveland, Taylor Made and Cobra  :D

I'm in the camp that says with the current lines that are out there ii is quite easy to blend sets to meet the needs of the golfer. Sexy is all in the eyes of the beholder.

However if ego drives part of that set make up then a golfer need to be prepared for his/her fate. Regardless of the club a good swing will produce a good shot, where as a poor swing will produce just that. I've played some of the most demanding clubs in the past, and have done fairly well with them. But it requires effort, it requires time to to practice. As I shift to a more forgiving set of irons I'm looking forward to an easier game, however I also know if I get lazy those poor swings will produce less than desirable results. Play the club bs that make you walk by your bag and pull one out for a waggle or two.

I once went into a 2nd swing store in WI when I had an unexpected free day to play, and asked for a rental.  I believe I got a combo of Nike, Adams, Cleveland, Taylor Made and Cobra  :D

That's a common combo set.  I had that exact same set in Albuquerque, but it came with an old Titleist Bullseye putter.   ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That's a common combo set.  I had that exact same set in Albuquerque, but it came with an old Titleist Bullseye putter.   ;)

Not to mention the loaner bag was a big green thing with Rental written in big bold print on the side....LOL  The group I got paired up with had to be shaking their heads in disgust when they saw that...ha

Dang. I was kind of fond of Divothead. combo sets certainly have been around for a long time. I was at an estate sale last year (?) And for sale was a set of Hogans that were (I think) 2,3,4 Radials, then 5-Ws were Medallions (or Directors, I can't remember) they may not have been sold that way, but judging by the wear marks (this guy could find the screws) they were played as a combo set. I still wish I bought them, but funds were tight, and they knew what they were selling. Also- I already had my Goodwill combo set of Radial 4i, Hagen "forged in USA" 5-W for "vintage" days.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Archived