2020 Official Member Review: Titleist T100S/T200 irons

On 4/3/2020 at 10:39 AM, chisag said:

Stage 1

… Well, well, well I received my irons a week after THEZIPR23, blackngold_blood and DavePO43, yet am the first to Stage 1. What a bunch of slackers! 🤣 A quick intro for those that don't already know me. chisag stands for CHIcago Screen Actors Guild. I have been a member of SAG for 42 years. Being an actor meant I was either very busy or had a ton of free time. The free time can work very well with a sport I am passionate about that takes a good 5+ hours to play considering the round and travel. As an actor gets older, roles are not as plentiful and free time is much more the norm than being busy. Obviously great for golf and I can take an entire winter off, which I did in 2019 playing 4 months in Phoenix. 107 out of 117 days playing golf can really fine tune your game. That said, this year due to a herniated disc, rehab and Covid closures, I did not play a single round of golf for 5 months. That is by far the longest break I have ever had from playing.

SAG.jpg.5123ab68f4572da0dc3128a58fd3bb4c.jpg

… While the short game is my bread and butter for scoring, iron play is certainly a strength of my game. Loving equipment, I have owned way too many iron sets to mention. I currently play and rotate some Taylor Made P760’s & P790’s, Cobra Forged Tours and some Srixon Z Forged MB’s. Needless to say, the last thing I needed was a new set of irons. But of course I always look and the irons that caught my attention in 2020 were the Titleist T100-S. When MGS offered a set for review, I threw my hat into the ring and was very pleasantly surprised to be picked. Thank you MGS. All of my current irons have strengths and weaknesses but I will concentrate on comparisons with my P760’s, the irons I played most. I love everything about them other than their surprisingly thick top line. One of my biggest questions going forward is will the T100-S mid/long irons be as long and forgiving as my foam filled P760’s.

1991802395_Ironheads.jpg.2fc0f0ce6aa44287fbd80dd1fd62492b.jpg

… Right out of the box, the T100-S looked like irons I had a hand in designing. Head size, shape, hosel transition, sole camber and a thin top line is just about perfect to my eye and they immediately jumped to my favorite irons aesthetically. I dated a Playboy Bunny back in the late  70’s for a very short time and know all too well that looks don’t always match up with perfoprmance. So as beautiful to my eye as the T100-S are, they will have to outperform what I am playing now. That is a tall order.

467406215_T100gripsandbox.jpg.a0f67a90ef3befb31aecfe989b82ebce.jpg
1831557469_T100wholeclub.jpg.af18f8d6cf5d41ab866468efd3e4965c.jpg
1472647873_T100cb.jpg.3a4a574e9e2bf924a75074ab17055c1c.jpg

… About 15 years ago I spent an entire fall playing only knockdown shots determined to master that shot in Chicago’s winds. Most courses here stop watering around October and the fairways can become rock hard. I am happy to say I now have that shot, but by pounding all my clubs straight down into the hard turf I developed a nasty case off elbow tendonitis. Per my Ortho’s orders (a serious golfer himself) I switched to heavy weight graphite in my irons to reduce the wear and tear on my elbow and my body. I am glad I did and I never went back to steel. My favorites are the Recoil Prototype 95’s and I was extremely interested in the Kuro Kage Tini 105 gm shafts that were available in the T100-S. I ordered them in Stiff Flex and soft stepped once. Specs and description looked really good and my only concern was feel. I found playing some Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, the feel is a little closer to steel than graphite. Great for Pro’s that have been playing steel their entire lives, but I am used to the smoother, slightly dampened feel of Aldila VS Proto’s and Recoil Prototypes. With Tini wire in the tip section for stability, I was hoping they felt more like Recoils than Steelfibers. If not, I would just re-shaft with my Recoil Prototypes but after 3 rounds, the feel is exactly what I look for in a heavyweight graphite iron shaft. Stable, accurate and precise with a slightly dampened feel to absorb unwanted shock. They launch a little higher than I am used to, but adjusting should not be difficult.

1598141416_Ironshafts.jpg.b6846e7e5bedb4c6015354bfe9eb70f8.jpg

2039229149_T100KKshafts.jpg.914fcff96ea9d193ccbf9d84f11e69e4.jpg

… Due to the Corona virus I was not able to schedule a fitting for my T100-S but I know my specs and what shafts work for me, so it really wasn’t a concern for me. That said, I would always choose a fitting if possible. Other than 2* upright, soft stepped once and 1/4” long, my specs are standard. With only 3 rounds played, I m still trying to figure out yardages for each iron, something I will have down for Phase 2. I will say as an old school golfer that played a 48* pw for most of my golfing life, I have reluctantly learned to navigate the 6* gap between my 46* pw and 52* sw. But the opportunity to play a 48* wedge that Titeist calls a W2 was a welcome surprise. And instead of a W1 and W2 on the sole, Titleist labels these 2 wedges as P and 48* so no confusion pulling a wedge without reading glasses LOL. A small thing but a nice touch.

1748940363_Pand48.jpg.956dccdfa3387b595572cba743be0980.jpg

… While I can and have played MB’s, I see no advantage over a Players CB that gives me everything a MB provides with added forgiveness. Like many low index players, on my good days I can hit anything well, but on my off days and especially days when my back is tight I will use all the forgiveness I can get. I am very interested to see how forgiving the tungsten in the heel and toe of the mid and long irons will be on slight mishits. And would the slightly thinner face of the T100-S compared to the T100 produce a hair more distance. A myth is other than the longest hitters, a little more distance for a better player is not wanted in their irons. But a slight increase in distance is always a plus if that distance is accurate, repeatable and all your gaps are covered. Why would I not want to hit my 4 iron 205 instead of 200? While I have never experienced any fliers from a good lie with my P790’s, they can occasionally be a few yards longer, because with a 5* interval between irons they cover a larger gap than I would ideally prefer. My hope is going back to 4* gaps I will experience more precise yardages and gapping from my T100-S. (bottom left)

350649040_Ironfaces.jpg.4b2a716a24dd436558ba44e3abf1af06.jpg

… And lastly, these are not GI’s or posses any magic that can correct a bad swing. Unlike many GI and certainly SGI irons, you will definitely know if you hit one thin losing distance and your fingers stinging similar to a MB. But the T100 series is the most played iron on the PGA Tour for a reason, and that tells me they can be extremely accurate and repeatable for guys who make their living knowing exactly how far they hit every iron. And make no mistake, the vast majority of players on all tours, PGA /LPGA/Champions want all the forgiveness they can get when it comes with accuraccy, for both direction and distance. So all I am looking for is an iron that:

1. Feels great
2. Looks ideal at address
3. Allows me to be laser accurate with my good swings
4. Gives me a little forgiveness with my bad swings
5. Produces a few more yards 

971358079_T100cavity.jpg.5385e1425bb809fef9554a95c199bc3b.jpg
1305932868_T100face.jpg.b99f348652f8b530fce2a9610732319a.jpg
737410612_8ironteemark.jpg.cb4056ab67d5e5dfba6f1c2aee95acfc.jpg

… If there are any specific questions about the T100-S irons or Kuro Kage shaft you would like answered, or something you are just curious about, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer as I play and become more familiar with their capabilities. I have not requested to be considered for irons and a MGS review until the T100-S so they clearly have an opportunity to not only make it into my bag, but became my primary irons. I look forward to sharing my progress with all of you.

It was a pleasure reading that @chisag and I'm glad to they're performing for you. I will say, you know how to nail a photo op. Those clubs are gorgeous!

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/3/2020 at 10:39 AM, chisag said:

Stage 1

… Well, well, well I received my irons a week after THEZIPR23, blackngold_blood and DavePO43, yet am the first to Stage 1. What a bunch of slackers! 🤣 A quick intro for those that don't already know me. chisag stands for CHIcago Screen Actors Guild. I have been a member of SAG for 42 years. Being an actor meant I was either very busy or had a ton of free time. The free time can work very well with a sport I am passionate about that takes a good 5+ hours to play considering the round and travel. As an actor gets older, roles are not as plentiful and free time is much more the norm than being busy. Obviously great for golf and I can take an entire winter off, which I did in 2019 playing 4 months in Phoenix. 107 out of 117 days playing golf can really fine tune your game. That said, this year due to a herniated disc, rehab and Covid closures, I did not play a single round of golf for 5 months. That is by far the longest break I have ever had from playing.

… While the short game is my bread and butter for scoring, iron play is certainly a strength of my game. Loving equipment, I have owned way too many iron sets to mention. I currently play and rotate some Taylor Made P760’s & P790’s, Cobra Forged Tours and some Srixon Z Forged MB’s. Needless to say, the last thing I needed was a new set of irons. But of course I always look and the irons that caught my attention in 2020 were the Titleist T100-S. When MGS offered a set for review, I threw my hat into the ring and was very pleasantly surprised to be picked. Thank you MGS. All of my current irons have strengths and weaknesses but I will concentrate on comparisons with my P760’s, the irons I played most. I love everything about them other than their surprisingly thick top line. One of my biggest questions going forward is will the T100-S mid/long irons be as long and forgiving as my foam filled P760’s.

… Right out of the box, the T100-S looked like irons I had a hand in designing. Head size, shape, hosel transition, sole camber and a thin top line is just about perfect to my eye and they immediately jumped to my favorite irons aesthetically. I dated a Playboy Bunny back in the late  70’s for a very short time and know all too well that looks don’t always match up with perfoprmance. So as beautiful to my eye as the T100-S are, they will have to outperform what I am playing now. That is a tall order.

… About 15 years ago I spent an entire fall playing only knockdown shots determined to master that shot in Chicago’s winds. Most courses here stop watering around October and the fairways can become rock hard. I am happy to say I now have that shot, but by pounding all my clubs straight down into the hard turf I developed a nasty case off elbow tendonitis. Per my Ortho’s orders (a serious golfer himself) I switched to heavy weight graphite in my irons to reduce the wear and tear on my elbow and my body. I am glad I did and I never went back to steel. My favorites are the Recoil Prototype 95’s and I was extremely interested in the Kuro Kage Tini 105 gm shafts that were available in the T100-S. I ordered them in Stiff Flex and soft stepped once. Specs and description looked really good and my only concern was feel. I found playing some Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, the feel is a little closer to steel than graphite. Great for Pro’s that have been playing steel their entire lives, but I am used to the smoother, slightly dampened feel of Aldila VS Proto’s and Recoil Prototypes. With Tini wire in the tip section for stability, I was hoping they felt more like Recoils than Steelfibers. If not, I would just re-shaft with my Recoil Prototypes but after 3 rounds, the feel is exactly what I look for in a heavyweight graphite iron shaft. Stable, accurate and precise with a slightly dampened feel to absorb unwanted shock. They launch a little higher than I am used to, but adjusting should not be difficult.

… Due to the Corona virus I was not able to schedule a fitting for my T100-S but I know my specs and what shafts work for me, so it really wasn’t a concern for me. That said, I would always choose a fitting if possible. Other than 2* upright, soft stepped once and 1/4” long, my specs are standard. With only 3 rounds played, I m still trying to figure out yardages for each iron, something I will have down for Phase 2. I will say as an old school golfer that played a 48* pw for most of my golfing life, I have reluctantly learned to navigate the 6* gap between my 46* pw and 52* sw. But the opportunity to play a 48* wedge that Titeist calls a W2 was a welcome surprise. And instead of a W1 and W2 on the sole, Titleist labels these 2 wedges as P and 48* so no confusion pulling a wedge without reading glasses LOL. A small thing but a nice touch.

… While I can and have played MB’s, I see no advantage over a Players CB that gives me everything a MB provides with added forgiveness. Like many low index players, on my good days I can hit anything well, but on my off days and especially days when my back is tight I will use all the forgiveness I can get. I am very interested to see how forgiving the tungsten in the heel and toe of the mid and long irons will be on slight mishits. And would the slightly thinner face of the T100-S compared to the T100 produce a hair more distance. A myth is other than the longest hitters, a little more distance for a better player is not wanted in their irons. But a slight increase in distance is always a plus if that distance is accurate, repeatable and all your gaps are covered. Why would I not want to hit my 4 iron 205 instead of 200? While I have never experienced any fliers from a good lie with my P790’s, they can occasionally be a few yards longer, because with a 5* interval between irons they cover a larger gap than I would ideally prefer. My hope is going back to 4* gaps I will experience more precise yardages and gapping from my T100-S. (bottom left)

… And lastly, these are not GI’s or posses any magic that can correct a bad swing. Unlike many GI and certainly SGI irons, you will definitely know if you hit one thin losing distance and your fingers stinging similar to a MB. But the T100 series is the most played iron on the PGA Tour for a reason, and that tells me they can be extremely accurate and repeatable for guys who make their living knowing exactly how far they hit every iron. And make no mistake, the vast majority of players on all tours, PGA /LPGA/Champions want all the forgiveness they can get when it comes with accuraccy, for both direction and distance. So all I am looking for is an iron that:

1. Feels great

… If there are any specific questions about the T100-S irons or Kuro Kage shaft you would like answered, or something you are just curious about, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer as I play and become more familiar with their capabilities. I have not requested to be considered for irons and a MGS review until the T100-S so they clearly have an opportunity to not only make it into my bag, but became my primary irons. I look forward to sharing my progress with all of you.

He’ll of a write up and those babies live up to the titleist name, sleek, flashy and simple all at the same time.

im just gonna ask what everyone else is thinking how was dating a playboy? 🤣

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Stage 1

… Well, well, well I received my irons a week after THEZIPR23, blackngold_blood and DavePO43, yet am the first to Stage 1. What a bunch of slackers!  A quick intro for those that don't already know me. chisag stands for CHIcago Screen Actors Guild. I have been a member of SAG for 42 years. Being an actor meant I was either very busy or had a ton of free time. The free time can work very well with a sport I am passionate about that takes a good 5+ hours to play considering the round and travel. As an actor gets older, roles are not as plentiful and free time is much more the norm than being busy. Obviously great for golf and I can take an entire winter off, which I did in 2019 playing 4 months in Phoenix. 107 out of 117 days playing golf can really fine tune your game. That said, this year due to a herniated disc, rehab and Covid closures, I did not play a single round of golf for 5 months. That is by far the longest break I have ever had from playing.

1. Feels great

Nice Stage 1 chisag. Those look lovely at address.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Great Stage 1 Chisag, I love the looks of those clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

3 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

The man can even act through a forum post!  The first paragraph was class.  On behalf of us high cappers, I want to personally thank you for testing all of the club.  Performance from a hosel-rocket is a must when I am looking at irons.

On a more serious note, what does the soft step accomplish in terms of performance for you?  Is it higher ball flight/more spin? 

... Several reasons but the main one is flex is reduced about 25% compared to the next flex down, so it softens then just a little. Hearing the Kuro Kage has Tini wire in the tip for additional stiffness where it counts, I just wanted to make sure they were not too stiff for my swing. It is like a stiff flex is an 8 and a regular flex a 4. Soft stepping gives you a 7 flex and soft stepping twice produces a 6 flex. 

... Also many shaft OEMs have the same flex in the 9 iron as the wedges and I prefer the same kind of transition that I have from 7 to 8, then 8 to 9, then 9 to wedge.  I can't remember the last time I hit a "S" but the very first swinging the T100-S showed I was maybe juuuust a little too excited to finally have them on the course. Replacing any 2 iron with a 4 iron for hitting off the tee, I felt like I needed to really jump on it and hit another "S". 🤪  Next time off the tee with the 4 iron I just took a normal swing and all was well. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Several reasons but the main one is flex is reduced about 25% compared to the next flex down, so it softens then just a little. Hearing the Kuro Kage has Tini wire in the tip for additional stiffness where it counts, I just wanted to make sure they were not too stiff for my swing. It is like a stiff flex is an 8 and a regular flex a 4. Soft stepping gives you a 7 flex and soft stepping twice produces a 6 flex. 

... Also many shaft OEMs have the same flex in the 9 iron as the wedges and I prefer the same kind of transition that I have from 7 to 8, then 8 to 9, then 9 to wedge.  I can't remember the last time I hit a "S" but the very first swinging the T100-S showed I was maybe juuuust a little too excited to finally have them on the course. Replacing any 2 iron with a 4 iron for hitting off the tee, I felt like I needed to really jump on it and hit another "S". 🤪  Next time off the tee with the 4 iron I just took a normal swing and all was well. 

Are you the most excited about the club heads or the Kuro Kage shafts? I currently play the TM P790 irons with Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Stiff shafts and currently hitting them very nice. I am like you, always looking for another set. Looking very seriously at the Titleist T100S and T200, my handicap is 6.5. just trying to gather as much info as possible.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - Ventus TR Reg
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 9 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

1 hour ago, GaDawg said:

Are you the most excited about the club heads or the Kuro Kage shafts? I currently play the TM P790 irons with Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Stiff shafts and currently hitting them very nice. I am like you, always looking for another set. Looking very seriously at the Titleist T100S and T200, my handicap is 6.5. just trying to gather as much info as possible.

... More excited about the T100-S heads. Interested in the shafts would be more accurate because I love my Recoil Prototypes. Yet we are always looking to improve, and the KK Tini were a stock option and I have never met a heavy weight graphite Iron shaft I didn't want to try. 🤣  But my P760's are about as good as it gets for my swing and my only disappointment is the aesthetics. Don't care for the Tiger Stripe cavity, although I never see it at address. But that is the kind of improvement I usually buy the next season when they clean it up. The thicker top line is more of a problem when swinging poorly, as something else to share the blame in the moment can be a convenient involuntary excuse. Of course when swinging well I never even notice the thick top line. So the T100-S have such a razor thin top line and it is very visually appealing to me. Like you, I also love the P790's but took the Prototype shafts out to put in my 760's and tried Steelfiber 95's in my 790's and just don't like them as much as the Recoil PT's. I will give them another shot when I know I can play several days in a row. I'd like to give them 3 consecutive rounds and see how I feel but for the time being the T100-S deserve my full attention. 

... Fwiw, If I had to play steel in my irons I would also play the 950GH's. I love those shafts. 

10 hours ago, chisag said:

... My Stage 1 review is complete! 

Fantastic @chisag, I going to enjoy seeing how you all get along with these clubs. I am also fascinated by the graphite shaft options. I remember when they first came out for irons, your shot distances were all over the place and no one seemed to be able to get the club head square. It seems now that they are a legitimate alternative to steel.  

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, Nippon Modus Tour 115 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

@chisagI wouldn't get tired of that view.  I've been a Titleist player for most of my life and this head design is a slight change from what I've grown accustomed to seeing.  Rounded toe, and from the angle, what appears to be a shorter toe to heel groove length.  While looks are one factor of the composite, if you like what you see it won't hurt your confidence.  

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

6 hours ago, bens197 said:

@chisagI wouldn't get tired of that view.  I've been a Titleist player for most of my life and this head design is a slight change from what I've grown accustomed to seeing.  Rounded toe, and from the angle, what appears to be a shorter toe to heel groove length.  While looks are one factor of the composite, if you like what you see it won't hurt your confidence.  

... Yea Bens I think that is just the picture. I was trying to show offset and hosel grind. I think the 8 iron at 38* is a transition iron, not quite short and not quite mid and I appreciate the shape that reflects it isn't really either short or mid iron. I have included pictures of the 9 iron, the 7 iron and then the 9/8/7 together. Hopefully that gives you a better idea of the shapes. 

9.jpg.13265c2175f916556c7f193405f40d51.jpg

7.jpg.ce20217457020498b05651cdca5ac7d4.jpg1049800250_789.jpg.72d24e8cc7c9cae152eb11b25ce84f63.jpg

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Yea Bens I think that is just the picture. I was trying to show offset and hosel grind. I think the 8 iron at 38* is a transition iron, not quite short and not quite mid and I appreciate the shape that reflects it isn't really either short or mid iron. I have included pictures of the 9 iron, the 7 iron and then the 9/8/7 together. Hopefully that gives you a better idea of the shapes. 

7.jpg.ce20217457020498b05651cdca5ac7d4.jpg1049800250_789.jpg.72d24e8cc7c9cae152eb11b25ce84f63.jpg

One of the first things I noticed was the shape change when I took 8 iron out of the box. I haven’t played a Titleist iron in a long time, but these definitely have the Titleist look in my opinion. They may be more rounded than previous iterations but from address they just look fantastic.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, chisag said:

The rounded 8 looks like a nice blend to the 7. I hope they play as well as they look. 

I know they’re different types of heads but how do they feel compared to your 790’s?

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

18 minutes ago, bens197 said:

The rounded 8 looks like a nice blend to the 7. I hope they play as well as they look. 

I know they’re different types of heads but how do they feel compared to your 790’s?

... The T100-S feel like a forged carbon steel iron and when hit in the center they could easily be confused with Titleist MB's. I am sure I don't have to tell you Titleist forgings are a little crisper than say Mizuno or Srixon. I have heard some say Mizuno/Srixons are too soft and others say Titleists are too crisp. Feel is subjective of course and I tend to agree in general with the above but find them more of a subtle difference, not a reason to choose one feel over the other. So no complaints at all about the T100-S feel. 

... I think the P790's feel very good for a hollow headed, foam filed, thin faced iron. But it is a muted feel that I would not confuse with a forged carbon steel head. Not a dead feel and hitting the center feels sweet and you know when you miss hit them, even a little. But not that dense forged feel either. Keep in mind I play heavier weight graphite iron shafts and that dampens feel even more. 

I hear ya on the shock to joints for steel shafts. My current PtxPros have the V Tour 110's that I really like but my fingers and elbows are really starting to hurt again.  After a stint of f3 recoils on my 790's, the joints felt better quickly.  Unfortunately, they were the f3's and too soft and too light (69g)  to ever really get a grip on. I sold them to one of my buddies with a smoother and slower swing, and he flat loves them. But, the joint pain got much better with the graphite shafts without question.  Ill be going with the f4's (85g) in the new Hogans. Not quite as heavy as steel, but I did get them in my  Equalizer wedge set, and I already really like them. My first entry into graphite iron shafts were steel fibers i110's in my Ap2's. One of my favorite sets ever, which I foolishly got rid of...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Stage 1 is up!

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   :titleist-small: GT2 with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Apex TiFusion 4-PW 2* flat with PX Hazrdus Gen4 Silver 75s

Wedges:    JP Camber 48 & 55 shaft TBD

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

image.png.b02060fc08e22d8eebf76c427285a84e.png

this cracked me up~ thats where I am waiting for the Hogans..

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

image.png.b02060fc08e22d8eebf76c427285a84e.png

this cracked me up~ thats where I am waiting for the Hogans..

It was the longest wait of my life. I will say after this I won’t be taking off work to wait for a package again anytime soon. At least at work my mind would be preoccupied for a few minutes here and there.

Driver:   :titleist-small: GT2 with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Apex TiFusion 4-PW 2* flat with PX Hazrdus Gen4 Silver 75s

It was the longest wait of my life. I will say after this I won’t be taking off work to wait for a package again anytime soon. At least at work my mind would be preoccupied for a few minutes here and there.

Kinda like being 10 years old again waiting for Christmas morning

Rick

Left Hand, 

Kinda like being 10 years old again waiting for Christmas morning

I gotta admit that I change clubs often being a club ho and have clubs coming a lot so I don’t get too excited. However when it is clubs coming to test for MGS the switch gets flipped.

Stage 1 is up!

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

Stage 1 is up!

Nicely done Ryan! Seems like they nail the look of a players iron. Will be interesting to see how the performance holds up against the p790 and Srixons you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:taylormade-small: Qi10 - Terra Forza White | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :ping-small: G430 3-Hybrid - Kai'li White 80s

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:L.A.B.: Mezz Max | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | Vortex Blade | Ghost Maverick Black Ops - Forum Edition | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

2 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Nicely done Ryan! Seems like they nail the look of a players iron. Will be interesting to see how the performance holds up against the p790 and Srixons you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a handful of rounds they are close to the perfect iron for me. There are some compromises, they are a harsher feel than the Srixon’s, but when hit flush they are a pure feel. And they won’t touch the length of the P790’s. There have been some real squirrelly shots though. I mean it is my swing but they were not there prior to switching irons. 

Another round in this morning and the T200's were the stars of the show. I had to do a lot of scrambling today with only hitting 1 fairway but the irons were up for the challenge.
I was starting to wonder if the LZ shafts were the right choice after letting the True Temper website fitting make the final call between them and the AMT whites. Today showed me that the potential is real and my swing isn't near where it needs to be yet.
If I can keep Grooving these irons I believe I can put up some seriously low rounds for me when the putter and driver start be behave again.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 6/3/2020 at 9:58 PM, chisag said:

... My Stage 1 review is complete! 

I'm sorry, I only read the part about the Playboy bunny and ignored the rest 🤣

Great write-up! What interests me is the option of going graphite in something heavier/stiffer. I know you've been playing graphite for too long, but assuming you have comparable shafts, I suppose graphite will also be longer than the same steel shaft? I played golf 3 days straight and felt a sore elbow (first time for me), so your input is very helpful!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Great write-up! What interests me is the option of going graphite in something heavier/stiffer. I know you've been playing graphite for too long, but assuming you have comparable shafts, I suppose graphite will also be longer than the same steel shaft? I played golf 3 days straight and felt a sore elbow (first time for me), so your input is very helpful!

Playboy Bunny?? What did I miss

Rick

Left Hand, 

Playboy Bunny?? What did I miss

Read the stage 1 posts; I am sure some people will say pictures were lacking.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Kanoito said:

... One of the problems graphite iron shafts had to overcome was hitting the ball farther than comparable steel. Aldila fixed that with their first heavy weight NV offering, the NV Tour shafts that were 130gms and had 1.5* of torque. VJ played them for awhile. Aldilas goal was to offer performance equal to Dynamic Gold but even tighter dispersion with the joint saving benefits of graphite. They accomplished their goal but at 1.5* of torque compared to around 2* for steel, they were beasts. I found Aldila VS Protos played almost identical to KBS Tour shafts. I think once they got the attention of better golfers withs hafts performing just like steel counter parts, they began making their own designed shafts to maximize performance like Steelfiber shafts, that don't resemble and steel shafts and are extremely popular on the LPGA and Champions Tour. 

... I think today you can find just about any combination of performance you want with graphite iron shafts. Soft/mid/stiff tips and varying degrees of torque. While ball flight, spin and distance is very similar for Styeelfiber 95's and Recoil 95 Prototypes, the balance and feel is quite different. And so far I really like the low balance point of the Kuro Kage 105gm shafts. But distance is not longer than a comparable steel weighted shaft.

... Think of a wedding cake display that is just stunningly beautiful, but inside is cardboard and you sure would not want to eat it. That is what dating a Playboy Bunny was like.  🤪

Thanks for the input. I might just consider graphite shafts for the next set!

You don't have to eat the cardboard, but can lick off the frosting on the outside 😁

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

... I think today you can find just about any combination of performance you want with graphite iron shafts. Soft/mid/stiff tips and varying degrees of torque.

Graphite shafts are high in my ponder list. Wish there was someplace I could go to try a wide range of them to see what works best. Unfortunately not many OEMs send them as part of the most wanted sets.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Graphite shafts are high in my ponder list. Wish there was someplace I could go to try a wide range of them to see what works best. Unfortunately not many OEMs send them as part of the most wanted sets.

... That's a bummer. I hope you get the chance. I switched to graphite in my irons because of elbow tendonitis but after playing them for years now I just could not even imagine going back to steel. When I play my Z Forged with Modus 120's I feel the vibration, and Modus are very smooth for steel. If I were going to play them more than a handful of times each year, I would reshaft them with graphite. 

Archived