ncwoz

So I did an iron fitting today...

Our Sponsors

After some back and forth, I never ended up with my TM data from my last fitting either (not Club Champion). He tried, but something didn't get associated with my account correctly.

I'll echo @PMookie's advice for you to reach out to Discount Dan's. If that shaft is an option in the P790s, they will have the best price for the set.

You certainly could try to do something with Sub70 or Maltby (probably the TS-1s - specs seem to be the closest), but you do take the risk of them not working the same for you. Of course, with Golfworks you could have them build a single 6 iron as a tester, but then you're out ~$100 just to test a single iron. Having them built by them isn't going to be the cheap route, either.

As @dlow206 mentions, you could go the DIY route as the shafts are not particularly expensive. But then you're going to need some space and a basic set of tools.

Sounds like you had a good fitting and definitely have a lot to consider. I wouldn't pay the Club Champion price, if it were up to me. But if those 1150s are not available as an option, DIY or CC might be your only way.

• Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 11.3 (Last Updated Sept. 20, 2020)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: :tour-edge: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Tungsten, UST Recoil 670 F4, Tour Edge/Lamkin R.E.L.
5-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Looking at TM site those shafts aren’t offered so you are paying for the aftermarket price. The p790s are $1200ish for 4-p if everything is stock. Plus you pay the build price for CC services.

As been mentioned you could get the specs from CC for your lie and length and source everything yourself and build or have built but depending on the route you go you may only end up saving a couple hundred doing it that way of everything is new.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

14 minutes ago, edingc said:

After some back and forth, I never ended up with my TM data from my last fitting either (not Club Champion). He tried, but something didn't get associated with my account correctly.

I'll echo @PMookie's advice for you to reach out to Discount Dan's. If that shaft is an option in the P790s, they will have the best price for the set.

You certainly could try to do something with Sub70 or Maltby (probably the TS-1s - specs seem to be the closest), but you do take the risk of them not working the same for you. Of course, with Golfworks you could have them build a single 6 iron as a tester, but then you're out ~$100 just to test a single iron. Having them built by them isn't going to be the cheap route, either.

As @dlow206 mentions, you could go the DIY route as the shafts are not particularly expensive. But then you're going to need some space and a basic set of tools.

Sounds like you had a good fitting and definitely have a lot to consider. I wouldn't pay the Club Champion price, if it were up to me. But if those 1150s are not available as an option, DIY or CC might be your only way.

I was really hoping I'd get fit into a super common shaft and wouldn't need to worry about tracking something down haha. Right now I'm definitely leaning towards the Sub70 or Maltby route (which I kind of was from the get-go anyway) and building/getting something built as close as I can to the set I was fit to. The only thing I know for sure is I'm not going through CC with how much they've marked it up. 

• Like 2

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

I was really hoping I'd get fit into a super common shaft and wouldn't need to worry about tracking something down haha. Right now I'm definitely leaning towards the Sub70 or Maltby route (which I kind of was from the get-go anyway) and building/getting something built as close as I can to the set I was fit to. The only thing I know for sure is I'm not going through CC with how much they've marked it up. 

Were any other shafts close in comparison to the recommended shaft. You could also reach out to CC to see what a more common alternative might be.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Were any other shafts close in comparison to the recommended shaft. You could also reach out to CC to see what a more common alternative might be.

That's a great question. He mentioned one during the fit he thought could be an alternative, but I'll have to check back with him to see what it was.

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

P790s were introduced in August of 2019.  https://golf.com/gear/irons/first-look-taylormade-p790-p790ti-p790udi-irons/  When is TaylorMade coming out with a replacement.  If in August, these irons could be on sale soon.

• Like 1

• :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • :cobra-small: S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedges 54 and 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball :srixon-small: Q Star Tour or Z Star

Another thought.  Did you try the P790s with stock shafts?  How much different were they than the ones with upgraded shafts?  Could you get the P790s with stock shafts now and upgrade the shafts later - divide your purchase into two - maybe a birthday present and a Christmas present.

• Like 1

• :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • :cobra-small: S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedges 54 and 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball :srixon-small: Q Star Tour or Z Star

24 minutes ago, HAC said:

P790s were introduced in August of 2019.  https://golf.com/gear/irons/first-look-taylormade-p790-p790ti-p790udi-irons/  When is TaylorMade coming out with a replacement.  If in August, these irons could be on sale soon.

TaylorMade has been on 2 year cycles with their p series irons. The original p790 came out in 2017 so the next iteration won’t be til next year. 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, HAC said:

Another thought.  Did you try the P790s with stock shafts?  How much different were they than the ones with upgraded shafts?  Could you get the P790s with stock shafts now and upgrade the shafts later - divide your purchase into two - maybe a birthday present and a Christmas present.

Certainly a good thought, but Club Champion just goes through all the shafts they have in whatever order makes sense in the fitting as I understand it. And I don't even remember exactly which shafts we tried unfortunately.

Right Handed

On 7/15/2020 at 10:23 PM, ncwoz said:

Certainly a good thought, but Club Champion just goes through all the shafts they have in whatever order makes sense in the fitting as I understand it. And I don't even remember exactly which shafts we tried unfortunately.

I did an iron fitting with Jackson at CC in January.  Didn’t have me try a standard shaft either.  I went to a local shop (MH) when they had Callaway in for demo day and they fit me in a no up charge shaft (they had the CC suggestion for comparison even).  Paid $850 vs $1500 with identical numbers.  They do a good job, but they are fans of the shaft up charge and my budget doesn’t support that. 
Good luck with the search

• Like 1

PXG gen2X, 10.5, Adila NV nxt 65s

Tour Edge CBX 3t 16.5, HZDUS Yellow 6.0S

3&4 hybrid Cobra AmpCell S shaft

5-PW Callaway Mavrik Pro, Project X LZ 105 6.0

GW&SW Cobra AmpCell TT Dynalite 90 S

60 Bettinardi forged, TT Gold S200

Srixon ZStar

3 hours ago, keveng said:

I did an iron fitting with Jackson at CC in January.  Didn’t have me try a standard shaft either.  I went to a local shop (MH) when they had Callaway in for demo day and they fit me in a no up charge shaft (they had the CC suggestion for comparison even).  Paid $850 vs $1500 with identical numbers.  They do a good job, but they are fans of the shaft up charge and my budget doesn’t support that. 
Good luck with the search

Huh, that's good to know I wasn't the only one!

Right Handed

The nice thing is you have all the info and you can call a couple local places, or not so local, and see what they will  quote for the same set up.  While the 790 is on the higher end, that shaft is very reasonable.  

• Like 1

PXG gen2X, 10.5, Adila NV nxt 65s

Tour Edge CBX 3t 16.5, HZDUS Yellow 6.0S

3&4 hybrid Cobra AmpCell S shaft

5-PW Callaway Mavrik Pro, Project X LZ 105 6.0

GW&SW Cobra AmpCell TT Dynalite 90 S

60 Bettinardi forged, TT Gold S200

Srixon ZStar

I did a CC fitting a few years ago for a set of Callaway Apex irons, even though Callaway had 6 or 7 shaft options CC fit me into shafts that weren’t in Callaway’s offering so there was a BIG up charge.

I ended up going to a Callaway demo day about a month later and I was armed with my specs and trackman data from the CC fitting.....the Callaway fitter dialed me in with shafts they offered and the trackman data was almost identical.

I ordered the on the spot and saved about $300

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

CC seems to go out of there way to find combos that are not "standard order" Which makes sense at 60$ a club to reshaft. If you love the shaft and the Mizuno head was close to the same result and was available from Mizuno at no upcharge I would go that route. 

• Like 1

CC seems to go out of there way to find combos that are not "standard order" Which makes sense at 60$ a club to reshaft. If you love the shaft and the Mizuno head was close to the same result and was available from Mizuno at no upcharge I would go that route. 

I think that this is because people aren’t upfront during the initial questioning. If you tell them you don’t want to venture into the exotic shaft realm you don’t have too. I was fit into KBS Tour 120
Shafts which is a no cost upgrade for basically every manufacturer.
  • Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think that this is because people aren’t upfront during the initial questioning. If you tell them you don’t want to venture into the exotic shaft realm you don’t have too. I was fit into KBS Tour 120

Exactly: be upfront about your budget and expectations and it’ll help the fitter do a better job.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yeah, that's definitely fair. I probably could have done a better job of doing some research going in, but I also figured it'd be easy enough to do some research afterwards now knowing what he's fit me into.

• Like 1

Right Handed

On 7/14/2020 at 6:39 PM, ncwoz said:

So I did an iron fitting at Club Champion today, fully knowing I would not walk out ordering anything the same day. (And I actually managed it too!) I wanted to throw this up on a thread and see what some of your thoughts are, and maybe convince someone to get fit for themselves as well.

I got fit at Club Champion in Grand Rapids, MI, with Jackson. They use Trackman, and had me warm up by hitting a few balls. After I was warmed up, he had me hit a few balls with my current gamer (Ping Eye 2) 6 iron. I was getting smash factor around 1.23, and he said he was trying to get it up around tour average, 1.38. I typically hit my 6i about 170-175 with a ~5yard draw. My usual miss is a toey pull hook that goes way left.

I came in with basically no expectations of what would fit me well, nor much of a preference in any particular style or look. I was just hoping to see what kind of a head and shaft combo would work best with my swing.

We tried a few shafts until we got to something we liked (started out in a heavier KBS Tour I believe, but we tried a lot so it's hard to remember exactly). After some inconsistent results from a few different shafts, I tried the Nippon 1150GH Taper, X-stiff. This was the first time I had really swung different shafts in close succession, and I was super surprised at how different they felt and performed. Something about the 1150GH just seemed to work better with my swing, and the results were supporting the feel. He gave me +1/4" length and it really clicked.

Once we had the shaft narrowed down, we starting going for heads. I was still pretty inefficient in the i200, high spin killing distance and not a great dispersion either. We tried probably 7 or 8, and the three that initially stood out were: Mizuno MP20 HMB, Callaway Apex, and Titleist T200. At some point in there, he wanted to have me try out the P790, but the adapter had sheared earlier in the day. He went back and got it epoxied up, and we dialed in the lie angle while the epoxy set. We went 1* upright, which had me surprised because of my left miss. When I asked, he said that was to get me back hitting the center, because he felt shortening the shaft wasn't going to work for me. Sure enough, that helped me find center more and actually straightened me out more with some increased efficiency.

At that point, the T200's seemed to be falling back, and the HMB's felt like they might have been slightly pulling ahead. Each of the 3 were carrying roughly 190. By this time the P790 was ready to go, and from the get-go I absolutely smoked it. Outside of one dead push and one I turned over a bit much, I was hitting them straighter than anything else all day, and 200+ carry. I asked him what each loft was at, and I'm 95% sure he said they had all been bent to 27*. The P790's seemed to stand a head above the rest, and that's where we settled: P790's; 1* upright; Nippon 1150GH X-stiff, +1/4".

He totaled it up for me and, including the $100 fitting and $13 per club upgrade for Sonar+ grips, landed at $1,977.19. To be frank, I'm not ready to drop almost $2k on a new iron set. Now that I'm home, it seems like the shaft is a little less common from what I can find. But there's absolutely no denying, I'm leaving a lot of strokes on the course with my current gamers.

SO. What say you? Do you think I should bite the bullet and go for the set he recommended? Try to scrounge for components myself? Find another similar composition from someone like Sub70 or Maltby? Anything in the fitting that seems questionable to you? Another note, I haven't seen the Trackman data posted yet. Not sure if that's something they automatically or not, but I shot him a message hoping he can upload them yet.

@ncwoz I hope you enjoyed the fitting! As a fitter myself there are a few things I found odd. Length lie etc can effect shot shape but before you invest your money hit more than just a 6i. When I do iron fittings I do 4i /7i /PW or in your case in the players distance I do 5i /8i / GW since most people elect to go with a hybrid in the 4i slot. The reason for this is because there are progressive changes through out the club sets. You may crush the 6i but struggle with the 5i or 4i as the blade gets longer and the offset increase. Also never seeing you swing I find the shaft choice odd. The Nippon N.S.Pro 1150 has a different profile from the rest of the Nippon N.S.Pro model line. It is a different shaft, not simply the next weight step up. The butt is stiffer. it is a fitting option for someone with an aggressive transition and will play more like a Dynamic Gold. If he saw you swing and put you into something that is aggressive I am wondering why #1 he did not give you the DG 120X or The Nippon Modus 120X (opposite design of the NS 1150 but same weight). I would have to see your launch and spin numbers, but if your launch was anything less than 15 deg. you will have a hard time holding a green with that 6i. 

I fit honestly and if someone chooses the P-790 I sell them the 2017 version since there zero performance changes and we either track them down a set of shaft pulls or order them new ones. I offer them puring, but I tell them in the case of certain iron shafts and the level of their game they should save the money. Also the grips are $5 more expensive then they should be.

It looks from the price that they are charging you an up charge for the 1150... I just did your build with the Nippon Modus 120X since it is a no up-charge shaft and the total with the grips is Total :$1,463.99 + Tax @1.0825 ( $120.78) = $1584.77 + $100 fitting = $1684.77.... That is 4i-GW set built 1/4" long 1 up with sonar plus grips... Looks like they are charging you $25+tax and labor for each shaft. 

Also a used set of the 2017 p-790 goes for around $600 - $700 + tax for 8 clubs and the new ones go for $850-$950 +tax depending on the shape... You could order the 1150 shaft and with labor it would run you around $350 which is still under the cost by a decent amount.... or try to find them with a shaft you like but finding them with 1150 might be a challenge...

Club Champion is the only fitting option for a lot of people and not all club champions are the same, but not trying shafts that are zero dollar up charge and over charging for grips is something I see more than I would like too.... 

I could go on more but hopefully this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions...

• Like 5

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 4H, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90X

UDI:titelist-small: U500 2i, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide Forged, DG TI S400, 52/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

1 hour ago, Manimal26 said:

@ncwoz I hope you enjoyed the fitting! As a fitter myself there are a few things I found odd. Length lie etc can effect shot shape but before you invest your money hit more than just a 6i. When I do iron fittings I do 4i /7i /PW or in your case in the players distance I do 5i /8i / GW since most people elect to go with a hybrid in the 4i slot. The reason for this is because there are progressive changes through out the club sets. You may crush the 6i but struggle with the 5i or 4i as the blade gets longer and the offset increase. Also never seeing you swing I find the shaft choice odd. The Nippon N.S.Pro 1150 has a different profile from the rest of the Nippon N.S.Pro model line. It is a different shaft, not simply the next weight step up. The butt is stiffer. it is a fitting option for someone with an aggressive transition and will play more like a Dynamic Gold. If he saw you swing and put you into something that is aggressive I am wondering why #1 he did not give you the DG 120X or The Nippon Modus 120X (opposite design of the NS 1150 but same weight). I would have to see your launch and spin numbers, but if your launch was anything less than 15 deg. you will have a hard time holding a green with that 6i. 

I fit honestly and if someone chooses the P-790 I sell them the 2017 version since there zero performance changes and we either track them down a set of shaft pulls or order them new ones. I offer them puring, but I tell them in the case of certain iron shafts and the level of their game they should save the money. Also the grips are $5 more expensive then they should be.

It looks from the price that they are charging you an up charge for the 1150... I just did your build with the Nippon Modus 120X since it is a no up-charge shaft and the total with the grips is Total :$1,463.99 + Tax @1.0825 ( $120.78) = $1584.77 + $100 fitting = $1684.77.... That is 4i-GW set built 1/4" long 1 up with sonar plus grips... Looks like they are charging you $25+tax and labor for each shaft. 

Also a used set of the 2017 p-790 goes for around $600 - $700 + tax for 8 clubs and the new ones go for $850-$950 +tax depending on the shape... You could order the 1150 shaft and with labor it would run you around $350 which is still under the cost by a decent amount.... or try to find them with a shaft you like but finding them with 1150 might be a challenge...

Club Champion is the only fitting option for a lot of people and not all club champions are the same, but not trying shafts that are zero dollar up charge and over charging for grips is something I see more than I would like too.... 

I could go on more but hopefully this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions...

I appreciate your thoughts! To be completely honest, I was going into the fitting with 90% certainty I would either be finding a DTC similar set composition to whatever they fit me to, or pulling the set together by parts. When I saw the price they quoted, 90% went up to 100% certainty really fast haha.

Your insight (especially because you do fittings yourself) on the fit is giving me some more reason for hesitation in trusting the fit though. The fitter was pretty young (nothing inherently wrong with that), but didn't seem to be abundantly knowledgeable. His explanations and answers to some of my questions were really basic, but it's hard to tell if that was an indication of his potential lack of knowledge or if he is used to fitting golfers who don't have much of an idea of golfing/club fitting concepts. I asked him what he was looking for in the shaft that he thought would fit my swing, and his answer kinda felt something along the lines of "let's just put a bunch of shafts in there until you hit one well". I guess not inherently the worst strategy, but doesn't feel like there's a lot of knowledge and science behind the decision. He was also predominately concerned with smash factor when selecting both the head and the shaft, and didn't mention almost anything about angle of descent, potential gapping, dispersion, spin, etc. I was a little bummed as well that I never got access to the Trackman data from the fitting.

The thing I found most curious about the fit was that he fit me to 1° upright, even though I was consistently hitting a my few yard draw throughout the fitting, and almost every single "miss" swing I hooked far left (also what I do on the course). I asked him specifically why he thought 1° upright would be better for me, and he just told me to take a swing and said something along the lines of "See I was right".

I didn't know the Nippon Pro 1150 was more suited for an aggressive transition, but don't feel like I am particularly aggressive. Here's a video I took for the Tour Edge hybrid review, I'd be curious if you do think I might be more aggressive than I thought:

We are fortunate enough to have a few options for fitting near us, and I know @edingc has had good experiences at Maple Hill. @Manimal26 As a fitter yourself, do you think it would be worth trying another fitter to see if they fit me into something similar to Club Champion, or if they go a different direction entirely? Again, thanks for your insight.

• Like 3

Right Handed

On 7/23/2020 at 12:38 PM, cnosil said:

I just went to our local Club Champion to be fit for shafts for the Wilson D7 test.  I'll do a more thorough write-up of the fitting as a part of the testing thread but some quick observations:

1.  I made it clear that I wasn't buying anything from them but the fitting.  
2.  I let them know that I was only looking at the no-upcharge shafts, and I came in with a list.
3.  I let them know that we'd only be hitting the D7's, because this is what I'll be testing.
4.  The fitter (Mason Wolf) was great, but I knew him by reputation, so I wasn't worried about the fitting I'd get.
5.  Yes, we only hit the 6 iron.  I don't think that's great, but I wasn't so worried as I knew that I'm getting the D7's.  I seem to recall that's all I hit when I had my Cobra F8 "fitting" two years ago at Golf Galaxy. 
6.  He spent the full 90 minutes on just one head and a smaller universe of shafts.
7.  They're going to do a spec check on the build that I get from Wilson and adjust lofts and lies to the specs they came up with for me.

My build for the D7 Forged, 4-PW, with Recoil 110s would be about $1,600.  It's definitely spendy.  But I couldn't have been more impressed with the job they did with the fitting, operating under the constraints I put on them.  Full disclosure, I was going to go to a local place for the fitting, but they couldn't get me in soon enough.  

• Like 5

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino