Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Got a gadget that helps measure the putter rotation through a putt.  I'm averaging about 5.5 deg on backward path and 3.1 deg going forward.  Trying different grips and ball positions to close the putter face more on the forward path without much success.  Anyone have any tips or suggestions that can help with this?  Or maybe the opposite, tips to help reduce the backward angle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maclan13 said:

Got a gadget that helps measure the putter rotation through a putt.  I'm averaging about 5.5 deg on backward path and 3.1 deg going forward.  Trying different grips and ball positions to close the putter face more on the forward path without much success.  Anyone have any tips or suggestions that can help with this?  Or maybe the opposite, tips to help reduce the backward angle.

Why do you want to change it?    This may simply be how the putter rotates in your stroke.     Your options are learn a new stroke or get a new putter. 

  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cnosil said:

Why do you want to change it?    This may simply be how the putter rotates in your stroke.     Your options are learn a new stroke or get a new putter. 

True. Really like the look of putter but a change could be in the cards 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maclan13 said:

True. Really like the look of putter but a change could be in the cards 

You don't have to change;  are you chasing specific numbers or trying to fix line or speed issues?

 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cnosil said:

You don't have to change;  are you chasing specific numbers or trying to fix line or speed issues?

 

Trying to fix line and return face square to ball.  I'm about 2 deg open as is and tend to push the ball. Before looking at new putters, I was checking the forum to learn if there's a particular grip or drill that can help practice to close the face more.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, maclan13 said:

Trying to fix line and return face square to ball.  I'm about 2 deg open as is and tend to push the ball. Before looking at new putters, I was checking the forum to learn if there's a particular grip or drill that can help practice to close the face more.  

You are travelling down the road of fitting yourself and stroke to an existing putter; this can work but isn't the ideal strategy.  If you want the face to close more,   try smaller grip or rotate your hands more.    The potential problem is that when you get under pressure that built stroke won't work.   To increase rotation you would do better with lighter weight;  you could also increase offset which will tend to kept the face more closed 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 8:28 PM, cnosil said:

You are travelling down the road of fitting yourself and stroke to an existing putter; this can work but isn't the ideal strategy.  If you want the face to close more,   try smaller grip or rotate your hands more.    The potential problem is that when you get under pressure that built stroke won't work.   To increase rotation you would do better with lighter weight;  you could also increase offset which will tend to kept the face more closed 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine played around with adding some weight to the putter head to clean up his rotation a bit - helped him keep his putter and have it working toward a more neutral flow and presentation at impact - but it did reveal he was pulling a bit as I recall so than chased that for a bit which he tracked to alignment  - seems quite happy now though so this path could be an option since it is possible on DIY basis if you have data to measure the changes/trends - which it sounds like you do

 

Stay safe

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am believer in seeing which hand is causing the variation.  See if you can duplicate swing in left hand and then right in same position on the grip for each as your two handed grip.  I have found that my right hand is the main issue to overcome.      

long and straight!

Link to post
Share on other sites
I am believer in seeing which hand is causing the variation.  See if you can duplicate swing in left hand and then right in same position on the grip for each as your two handed grip.  I have found that my right hand is the main issue to overcome.      
How do you improve on that on you've figured out which hand is the issue?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Force myself to put in 5 left handed in a row, then same for 5 right handed then 5 both handed from 6-8 ft.   Stay as long as it takes.  In house in the winter and on practice greens rest of year.   Notice that if I do this at least once per week does improve putting on course.                  

long and straight!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...