Rule Change Needed? Free Lift and Drop from a Divot?

23 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

it's a divot when your playing partner says it's a divot.  After all, the playing partner is there to protect the field.

This is difficult, we're all going to interpret this differently.  Remember the "backstopping" conversation not long ago, Jimmy Walker said that sometimes the ball was left in place to help a player you like, and other times it was marked to avoid helping someone you don't like.  Divots would be similar, I bet, the player's approval to get relief would often depend on being well-liked by his peers.  Every other relief situation has a pretty straightforward definition, you'd have to have one for divot holes if you want to make a rule allowing relief.

• Like 6

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The thing that is curious though is that when a ball is on the green the surface is treated as though it must be pristine and you are allowed to adjust it, thus giving more weight and importance to a putt vs a ball in the fairway where you expect to be rewarded for a good shot.

• Like 2

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

2 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

The thing that is curious though is that when a ball is on the green the surface is treated as though it must be pristine and you are allowed to adjust it, thus giving more weight and importance to a putt vs a ball in the fairway where you expect to be rewarded for a good shot.

The rules have increasingly recognized the putting green as a special place, compared to the rest of the golf course.  This is almost certainly due to the increasing quality of the surface available on most greens due to improvements in equipment, agronomy, chemicals, water control, and other factors.  And it has really only happened over the last 60 years or so.  Prior to that you couldn't improve your line of play on the green, you couldn't lift or clean your ball on the green, you just played it down.  Watch old films of putting at Augusta, you find faster greens today at most local muni courses.

While fairways have certainly improved for many of the same reasons, the rulesmakers haven't seen fit to tell us that we should expect perfection when we (occasionally) hit a fairway.  And to do so would throw out one of the basic foundations of the rules, play the course as you find it.

• Like 4

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The rules have increasingly recognized the putting green as a special place, compared to the rest of the golf course.  This is almost certainly due to the increasing quality of the surface available on most greens due to improvements in equipment, agronomy, chemicals, water control, and other factors.  And it has really only happened over the last 60 years or so.  Prior to that you couldn't improve your line of play on the green, you couldn't lift or clean your ball on the green, you just played it down.  Watch old films of putting at Augusta, you find faster greens today at most local muni courses.
While fairways have certainly improved for many of the same reasons, the rulesmakers haven't seen fit to tell us that we should expect perfection when we (occasionally) hit a fairway.  And to do so would throw out one of the basic foundations of the rules, play the course as you find it.

Ah yes days of old. Let’s go back to the stymie! Golf the way it was intended [emoji23]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Ah yes days of old. Let’s go back to the stymie! Golf the way it was intended emoji23.png

I didn't say all of the changes are bad, just that I think changing the rules regarding divot holes would be unnecessary, unwise, and unenforceable.

• Like 2

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I didn't say all of the changes are bad, just that I think changing the rules regarding divot holes would be unnecessary, unwise, and unenforceable.

I agree with you. When you were talking about how the greens used to be and. It being able to pick up the ball, it made me think of the rollback golf thoughts and how courses are become irrelevant which made me think about how stymies

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I agree with you. When you were talking about how the greens used to be and. It being able to pick up the ball, it made me think of the rollback golf thoughts and how courses are become irrelevant which made me think about how stymies

I read an article Tufts wrote for the USGA in about 1959 or 1960, wondering whether the Rules were getting too soft, based on the changes to the rules for the putting green.  That's what I was reminded of, and maybe in a couple of decades we'll be asking the same thing if divot relief is actually approved.

• Like 3

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

When I was kid, several balls in my range bucket were devoted to practicing less than ideal lies - rough, divots, etc. - because they are inevitable.

Playing from a divot is an opportunity to test your grit, one of the things that makes the game so very special. It’s meant to challenge character, build resolve and ultimately, take your lumps like a gentleman.

Here’s a thought exercise for those expecting eternally perfect fairway lies: In exchange for free fairway divot relief, would it also be reasonable for a playing partner to step on your ball that’s sitting up in the rough - to make sure you get what you truly deserve?

Life is about maintaining balance and golf is one of the few remaining activities that mimics the randomness of our journey, in 18 hole doses of good and bad breaks. I’ll continue to take the challenging path of playing the ball as it lies. Hopefully the result will be more grace in those gritty situations we inevitably encounter outside the game and also more appreciation for the occasional good breaks I didn’t deserve.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

No. We play the course as we find it with the rule variations as they exist. What then, would constitute a "divot"? Yesterdays? Three days ago? The one filled last week with sand that hasnt grown in? The one where the grass was replaced and the ball sits on the replaced grass.

If we"re going to that, why not lift, clean, and place every shot?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Hey Guys - Quick note. First time I tried to Merge a thread - I started a very similar thread today into this one and thought I was doing it correctly, but I did it backwards (copied the OG thread, when I should have copied the new thread). Apologies to the members who were commenting on this topic previously and hopefully you can forgive the oversight as I still learn all the particular nuances of the system!

Regarding the topic at hand - I'm in the camp of "play it where it lies." It sucks that happened to Lee, but it could have been anybody and we all have to deal with it. I realize it's even more prevalent on the Tour given there is a "landing zone" that can get pretty chewed up by Sunday of a tournament, but that's what separates the pros from the joes - they can still get on the green from that divot while we'd be in the woods or bunker, haha!

• Like 4

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Evenflow Black 65 6.0

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:wilson_staff_small:  D7 4-GW, KBS 105

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

I’d say there is good reason that they have chosen not to make a rule change. Like a lot of proposed rule changes, it looks great on paper but in reality it just opens up a whole can of worms. You have to define a “divot” and have some sort of protocol in place for how to police it. Which, as Patrick Reed has proven, the tour doesn’t seem too concerned about policing the rules. Play it as it lies like any other situation on course and move on.

Here’s a thought... Why don’t they fill their divots in the first place? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeftyRM7 said:

I’d say there is good reason that they have chosen not to make a rule change. Like a lot of proposed rule changes, it looks great on paper but in reality it just opens up a whole can of worms. You have to define a “divot” and have some sort of protocol in place for how to police it. Which, as Patrick Reed has proven, the tour doesn’t seem too concerned about policing the rules. Play it as it lies like any other situation on course and move on.

Here’s a thought... Why don’t they fill their divots in the first place? emoji848.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, you KNOW Reed would push the limits of that rule the first chance he gets, lol

• Like 2

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Evenflow Black 65 6.0

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:wilson_staff_small:  D7 4-GW, KBS 105

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

I’ve always said that should be a rule...during some PGA events where the fairway is sloped one direction it looks like a mine field of divots by the end of the week.

You should never be punished for hitting a drive in the middle of the fairway. If the ball came to rest on a sprinkler head you get relief, if it hits casual water you get relief...heck if it’s an ant bed you get relief!!

A fairway divot should be considered ground under repair and you should be entitled to relief. Plain and simple

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

If you move your ball out of a divot, you're cheating yourself out of one of the greatest thrills in golf when you rip a low screamer with tons of spin out of an old divot.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

12 hours ago, LeftyRM7 said:

Here’s a thought... Why don’t they fill their divots in the first place? emoji848.png

I agree almost 100%.  As for Reed, he was penalized (appropriately) for moving sand in a backswing, thus improving his lie.  He followed every rule during the embedded ball drama recently.  The Rule that the Tour seems not to care about is "backstopping", and that's done fairly regularly by players that are generally well liked.  And of course they're well-liked, they're leaving balls in place to help other players, when they really should be marking and lifting.

• Like 1

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I agree almost 100%.  As for Reed, he was penalized (appropriately) for moving sand in a backswing, thus improving his lie.  He followed every rule during the embedded ball drama recently.  The Rule that the Tour seems not to care about is "backstopping", and that's done fairly regularly by players that are generally well liked.  And of course they're well-liked, they're leaving balls in place to help other players, when they really should be marking and lifting.

Those guys are better than me.  If I were playing for the kind of money they play for, I'm not liking the other players very much.  And, I'm marking my ball!!!  LOL

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

10 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

If you move your ball out of a divot, you're cheating yourself out of one of the greatest thrills in golf when you rip a low screamer with tons of spin out of an old divot.  

Balls don't come out of non-sand filled divots very well with a hybrid, which I use a lot where other use irons.  I have taken an unplayable lie in the middle of the fairway.  Another reason I don't play in tournaments anymore.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 3/9/2021 at 8:21 PM, GolfSpy_THV said:

Oh man, you KNOW Reed would push the limits of that rule the first chance he gets, lol

Every single golfer out there would use the rule to its maximum advantage.  I know I do, I take relief when it allowed and it helps me.  That's one reason a good understanding of the rules is a real asset in playing competitively.

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Ha! When one plays a public goat ranch like I do, hitting out of a divot would be an improved lie most days! 
😂 
I could see a change needed if it happened all the time, but since it’s rare, it goes to the “rub of the green” idea for me. It’s almost like we’d also have to say, “If your ball hits a tree, and ends-up in the fairway, you have to place the ball amongst the trees.” There are good and bad breaks, but they are rare occasions.

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila RIP Alpha 105 S, tipped 1”

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All clubs have :Arccos:  In the Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 Oversize grips