Rule Change Needed? Free Lift and Drop from a Divot?

32 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Agree, let’s get rid of sprinklers and drains and play the game like golfs forefathers. You know follow the spirit of the game and get rid of these finely manicured courses. emoji23.pngemoji1787.pngemoji23.pngemoji12.png

I'm not sure I can build a pile of sand high enough for my tee shot! 🤣

• Like 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

1 hour ago, Brinkie said:

I know......That is my point.  Why should a divot in the fairway treated differently

Divots occurred naturally on golf courses even before there WERE rules, they have always been considered a natural and normal part of the challenge of golf.  Obstructions (which are defined in the rules as being artificial) occurred later, generally speaking, and the Rules were adapted to address these "new" issues on the course.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

That actually has been the trend in golf course architecture for the last 25 years. Going to a more naturalistic and less manicured look.

Could be if you look at courses like Brandon. But looking at other courses with 100 yard wide fairways and bulldozer created structures seems to say the opposite. The trend seems to be sustainability of a course meaning fewer bunkers, more unkept areas, and shorter less landmass courses. That said, I would guess they still water and keep the fairways pretty immaculate.

My intended joke was to get rid of irrigation and drainage; which isn’t going to happen, and just play in the fields like when golf started.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

My intended joke was to get rid of irrigation and drainage; which isn’t going to happen, and just play in the fields like when golf started.

You need to explain jokes to some people.

• Like 3

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'm not sure I can build a pile of sand high enough for my tee shot! [emoji1787]

Watch Laura Davies, she has a good process for making a tee

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

54 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Could be if you look at courses like Brandon. But looking at other courses with 100 yard wide fairways and bulldozer created structures seems to say the opposite. The trend seems to be sustainability of a course meaning fewer bunkers, more unkept areas, and shorter less landmass courses. That said, I would guess they still water and keep the fairways pretty immaculate.

Using a bulldozer or not, or the number of bunkers, has nothing to do with it. The predominant trend has been for a naturalistic and not manicured look. 

2 hours ago, Brinkie said:

I know......That is my point.  Why should a divot in the fairway treated differently

Because sprinkler heads and drain covers are immovable obstructions as defined by the rules.  A divot is not.

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

20 hours ago, CarlH said:

Because sprinkler heads and drain covers are immovable obstructions as defined by the rules.  A divot is not.

Thanks, I know the rules.  If you could move a divot then your argument may be valid.

• Like 1

Golf without a cigar has not been a good use of time.

21 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Divots occurred naturally on golf courses even before there WERE rules, they have always been considered a natural and normal part of the challenge of golf.  Obstructions (which are defined in the rules as being artificial) occurred later, generally speaking, and the Rules were adapted to address these "new" issues on the course.

I guess everyone is missing my point.  If you stripe a drive down the middle of the fairway and land in a divot 275 yards away that cannot be seen from the tee, why should you be punished for that when someone else in the group can drive it into another fairway and find a perfect lie and line because it's an area others haven't hit from frequently

• Like 1

I guess everyone is missing my point.  If you stripe a drive down the middle of the fairway and land in a divot 275 yards away that cannot be seen from the tee, why should you be punished for that when someone else in the group can drive it into another fairway and find a perfect lie and line because it's an area others haven't hit from frequently

There is no good reason to fail to give a free drop out of the divot. If a maintenance worker put the same hole in the fairway, it would be ground under repair and a free drop. 

• Like 1

We are not missing your point.   Perhaps you can write the rule;  how do you definitively determine without a doubt that a divot is no longer a divot. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So many worried about a situation they may experience once in a blue moon.

I think the last time i ended up in a divot was 2018

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

21 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

So many worried about a situation they may experience once in a blue moon.

I think the last time i ended up in a divot was 2018

Been playing this game for more than 20 years and don’t remember ever being in one!

• Like 3

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

30 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

Been playing this game for more than 20 years and don’t remember ever being in one!

Yeah. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been in a divot in the 24ish years I’ve been playing and I don’t always play top notch courses.  9 hole course I play back home is in a public park. I’ve never been in a divot there

• Like 1

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

On 4/24/2021 at 10:37 AM, cnosil said:

We are not missing your point.   Perhaps you can write the rule;  how do you definitively determine without a doubt that a divot is no longer a divot. 

If a ball in the fairway lies in a depression without grass underneath then the player may take the nearest point of relief no closer to the hole.....done!  Although I am sure you will still have issue with this.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brinkie said:

If a ball in the fairway lies in a depression without grass underneath then the player may take the nearest point of relief no closer to the hole.....done!  Although I am sure you will still have issue with this.

What about if your ball comes to rest on the pelt of grass from a divot that's been recently replaced in the divot? The ball's not in a depression but it's still in a divot. By your rule, there's no relief allowed for that.

Edited by FrogginBullfish
  • Like 1

So you get relief from areas on the fairway that have no grass and aren't divots?  How much grass is necessary to no longer consider it a divot.   

Make the rule Patrick Reed proof. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

What about if your ball comes to rest on the pelt of grass from a divot that's been recently replaced in the divot? The ball's not in a depression but it's still in a divot. By your rule, there's no relief allowed for that.

Sounds right and very clear. If it is on grass and not a depression, no relief. 

15 hours ago, cnosil said:

So you get relief from areas on the fairway that have no grass and aren't divots?  How much grass is necessary to no longer consider it a divot.   

That is not what he said. He said there is a depression and no grass. Similar to what I posted earlier- the ball lies below fairway height and no grass. 

15 hours ago, cnosil said:

This is what I’m waiting for. Just want to see someone wrote a rule that’s clear cut.