Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2012 Equipment Thread

Matt Saternus

After being on the road for a couple weeks, I got back to the shop today to see a bunch of new stuff. While I got to see a lot of it at the PGA Show, today was my first chance to hit a lot of it. Here are a couple thoughts:

Cleveland Classic driver: Holy shut club face, Batman! Every one that I picked up looked very closed. I'm not saying this isn't smart since most people slice, but I suspect it will be a turn off to many. The bigger turn off to me was the super lightweight shaft, which I could barely feel in the swing. The head felt solid, but I had a hard time telling where I hit the ball on the face.

Ping i20 driver: WOW! I don't think I've ever liked the look, sound, and feel of a club as much as this. I don't think it will be a great fit for me, but I might try to make it work because I am in love with all the "other" stuff. Cleveland, take note: if you want to make a classic driver, don't write "Classic" on it, just make it a classic.

RBZ hybrid: As T alluded to in his blog post, this hybrid could be a bigger story than the fairway. I took three swings (reasonable full swings, not swinging from my heels) with the 19* hybrid and the total distances were 245, 250, and 260, and I don't consider myself long. Also, before anyone calls shenanigans, this was on a Foresight that I had tested moments earlier with my PW to see if it was accurate (it was). If the hybrid is this long, and the 3W is equally long, then I might not need a driver anymore. Seriously.

So, fellow spies, what have you tried so far? What have you liked, loved, or hated?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I haven't tried anything yet, but you mentioned the two clubs that I have been most excited to get my hands on...the i20 driver and RBZ hybrid. I've pretty much talked myself into the RBZ hybrid already without even hitting it. I'm also going to check out the RBZ 3W as I need to find something to replace my old Cobra SS. All this cost money that I don't have right now though, so I might have to pimp myself.

I haven't tried anything yet, but you mentioned the two clubs that I have been most excited to get my hands on...the i20 driver and RBZ hybrid. I've pretty much talked myself into the RBZ hybrid already without even hitting it. I'm also going to check out the RBZ 3W as I need to find something to replace my old Cobra SS. All this cost money that I don't have right now though, so I might have to pimp myself.

I only took a couple swings with the i20, and I wasn't on a monitor, but I guarantee you won't be disappointed with the RBZ hybrid. I think I'll be adding the 3W too. The only question will be what shaft to put in them. I wish they had FCT, but I know they have to save something for RBZ 2.0 ;)

I hit the RBZ hybrid this weekend at the local Golf Galaxy Taylor Made event. It felt great. The sales person claimed customers were hitting the RBZ fairway woods 15 yards further than their current clubs. They did not mention anything about the hybrids, so I am planning on bringing my current 3 hybrid back to the store so I can compare it head to head on their launch monitor.

Driver: Cobra Bio Cell3 wood: Cobra Fly Z3/4 Hybrid: Cobra BafflerIrons: Ping G25 5 - SWfLW: Titleist Vokey 58Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Ok, Ok, I am going to Dallas today, to look at new golf shoes, yes, Kikkor is at the top of the list. And I am going to try out the RBZ hybrids. But be warned, the Titleist 909H was unable to kick the Ben Hogans out of my bag. Yesterday, I hit one of the Hogans, 257 yards over the water to the front of the green, one of the nicest shots I have ever had. I am not ready to drink the TM koolaid, and am not coming home with a TM logo stamped on me any where ( we all know who I am talking about :D ) but I am certainly excited about trying these clubs out. I have already admitted that the white heads are pretty awesome looking. (More on that later.)

The Ping I15 was great. I debated the Ping or the Titleist and ended up with the D3 but it was close. Everything I had read first said that the I15 face was very open looking at address but to me the Titleist was much more open at address. I did find that my go to shot with the Titleist is a very slight fade where with all the rest of my clubs I hit a draw. I have been averaging 13 fairways hit per round so I am not in a hurry to change that. There is one fairway I can not hit if I throw the ball out of the cart.

Now back to white heads, I was at the course day before yesterday, and a casual friend was there with his 8 year old daughter. I jumped in with him and played a few holes. We got to the green and he had a white Rossa putter, but his daughter also had a white putter with three green dots on it. I was 20 feet away or so but it looked like a Scotty Cameron Kombi painted in RBZ colors. Finally, I asked about it, (thinking who would paint a Scotty and then give it to an 8 year old) and he had painted the Scotty himself and then his daughter took it over. Setting all the heresy aside, I thought back to the marketing of the white head. Pure genius. This is the third time I have seen someone who has painted the head of a club white.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I only took a couple swings with the i20, and I wasn't on a monitor, but I guarantee you won't be disappointed with the RBZ hybrid. I think I'll be adding the 3W too. The only question will be what shaft to put in them. I wish they had FCT, but I know they have to save something for RBZ 2.0 ;)

Yeah, I'm actually wanting to buy heads only, because I love my current shafts. You know a legit source where I can buy heads only? I've been burnt too many times on Ebay.

Yeah, I'm actually wanting to buy heads only, because I love my current shafts. You know a legit source where I can buy heads only? I've been burnt too many times on Ebay.

Unfortunately I don't. Good luck finding one, though.

Unfortunately I don't. Good luck finding one, though.

I sent TM an email, asking where I could make that purchase. A friend of a friends brother worked in TMs marketing department (don't know if he's still there) a few years ago, I might have to try to pull some strings. Back in 2008 he got me an exact replica of Sergios Tour Burner for $100 shipped overnight.

I'm fairly meh on most of the heads this year. The stand outs being the fairways IMO. The VRS, RBZ, F12 and Super XTD are all a signifigant improvment over previous offerings.

Mostly I'm interested in shafts.

VTS of all flavours

Attas T3

Attas Elements

Fubuki K

Matrix Kujoh

Fujikura Kuro Kage

Whatever the new line Mitsu has been rumbling about

I'm also interested to see if anyone follow's Matrix down the graphite putter shaft route. I know Fujikura's had one for a bit but it doesn't get much notice where as the "prototype" from Matrix might as well be a main stream option.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I'm interested in the Ping i20 hybrid, driver, 3 wood, and Cally RAZR FIT driver in that order.

And just for giggles I'd like to POW on a Rocketballz wood, but then put it back and never hit it again. (I can't stand the little techno graphics they put on the white crown around the top perimeter.) WHY DO THEY ADD USELESS PAINTED GRAPHICS!

I spy with my little eye something...

Back in the shop beating balls today. Reconfirmed that the RBZ hybrid is long as #*&%. I hit it head to head with the i20, and while I didn't hit enough shots to publish head to head numbers, but the ballspeed with the RBZ was much higher. Best shot vs. best shot: the RBZ was about 15 yards longer.

I spent some time hitting clubs today over lunch, here are my impressions.

RBZ Hybrid - man this thing is hot. I was also in the 240-260 range with the 19*. Only problem is I'm trying to fill a 220yd or so gap. So as much as I like it, I don't think it will make this years bag. I'll try again with the 5 hybrid once they get one with a stiff shaft

RBZ Driver (non tour) - I did not like the sound or feel. I think I averaged longer with the hybrid than the driver

R11s - Best feeling driver I hit today. Impact felt solid and I was very consistent. Numbers were on par with my current R11 though so I don't really see a value in it.

Cleveland Classic - Couldn't tell where I was hitting it. It just never felt like I flushed one. Very light and hard to get a feel for the shaft.

Long Tom - It's long. Very long. And I mean the shaft, not the distance. I'm just not good enough to play a driver that long.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm waiting for the arrival of an Adams a12 19* hybrid with RIP VS Proto shaft, and that's about all that I'm planning to get for 2012 clubs.

I purchased the Adams a12 pro hybrid 20* with the RIP VS Proto shaft in X-flex. I really love this club. The face is very compact, and the shaft gives a nice boring medium trajectory. I like to think of my hybrids as replacement for my irons more than replacements for my fairway woods, and I can't think of a better hybrid for this purpose.

I am sure that the Rocketballz hybrid is amazing based on all the other reviews, although I'm not sure why people get so caught up on the distance of hybrids. I hit my A12 pro about 230 yards which is perfect for me. I actually got rid of my 19* Tech V3 hybrid because I was hitting it about 250 which gave me a huge gap between that club and my 4 iron which I hit about 210-215. When I pick a hybrid I'm much more interested in the consistency (with respect to distance) and how it performs out of various lies.

Driver: Cleveland Classic Custom 9 degrees with Matrix Black Tie Stiff Shaft

3 Wood: Nike VR Pro Limited edition with Diamana Ahina X-stiff shaft

3 hybrid: Adams A12 pro (20 degrees) with RIP X-stiff shaft

4-PW: Titleist AP2 with True Tember Dynamic Gold X-300 shaft

52 degree wedge: Cleveland CG15

56 degree Wedge: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

60 degree wedge: Cleveland 588 forged

Putter: Edel custom with Flatso mid grip

I purchased the Adams a12 pro hybrid 20* with the RIP VS Proto shaft in X-flex. I really love this club. The face is very compact, and the shaft gives a nice boring medium trajectory. I like to think of my hybrids as replacement for my irons more than replacements for my fairway woods, and I can't think of a better hybrid for this purpose.

I am sure that the Rocketballz hybrid is amazing based on all the other reviews, although I'm not sure why people get so caught up on the distance of hybrids. I hit my A12 pro about 230 yards which is perfect for me. I actually got rid of my 19* Tech V3 hybrid because I was hitting it about 250 which gave me a huge gap between that club and my 4 iron which I hit about 210-215. When I pick a hybrid I'm much more interested in the consistency (with respect to distance) and how it performs out of various lies.

No argument on the point of wanting consistency, and I have yet to test the RBZ's consistency because I haven't had the time. The reason that I'm impressed with the length is that it will allow me to hit the same distances with a higher lofted club. Since higher loft means straighter, that's a win-win.

• SPY VIP

I spent some time hitting clubs today over lunch, here are my impressions.

RBZ Hybrid - man this thing is hot. I was also in the 240-260 range with the 19*. Only problem is I'm trying to fill a 220yd or so gap. So as much as I like it, I don't think it will make this years bag. I'll try again with the 5 hybrid once they get one with a stiff shaft

RBZ Driver (non tour) - I did not like the sound or feel. I think I averaged longer with the hybrid than the driver

R11s - Best feeling driver I hit today. Impact felt solid and I was very consistent. Numbers were on par with my current R11 though so I don't really see a value in it.

Cleveland Classic - Couldn't tell where I was hitting it. It just never felt like I flushed one. Very light and hard to get a feel for the shaft.

Long Tom - It's long. Very long. And I mean the shaft, not the distance. I'm just not good enough to play a driver that long.

Hitting Long Tom is a freaky experience. Only driver I've ever hit where I felt like there was drag.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Being a lefty, our demo choices are about as quality as a tijuana hooker...minus the morning after side-effects.

As I digress, this lefty demoed some wedges for SCOR...best move of my golf career. I am telling you, it is worth every $$. I understand it is hard to take that leap of faith to purchase a club that you haven't seen before, but the whole sha-bang-a-bang is top notch. The feel, the V-sole is perfect in all conditions, the look, etc. The feel is buttery smooth on solid shots but not harsh on slight mis-hits. Its easier to flight the ball with the wedges, and the spin is pretty high (but won't chew up balls).

I hit the RBZ hybrid yesterday at a local Golfsmith. Granted they only had a demo in Regular flex (currently swing Ozik X-Stiff in 16 & 19 adams hybrid), but it felt pretty good. No numbers, but not too shabby.

I hit the RAZR Fit but I will stick with the Razr Hawk Tour. I have a mental block that the adjustable drivers aren't all that great due to the shaft's spine not always in proper alignment. I guess i read too many articles on that.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I've only had one range session with the Adams Idea A12 hybrid (not the OS or Pro version), but I think it's as good as advertised and is a good fit with the RIP VS Proto.

Now I'm very curious about the Adams Super XTD hybrid.

Stick the i20 wood line on my list as well. I'm mighty impressed, enough so that the Ping rep is coming back on Saturday with a couple of options he didn't have last time that he thinks will fit better.

So far, I'm quite impressed. The hybrid might be the sleeper of the line and a good canidate for sleeper of the year with the VRS.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Archived