On The Range - Where Your Swing Begins and Ends

1 hour ago, Buzzard3 said:

I pass on what is probably the wisest advice ever offered in the entire history of golf  ... for free ... and I get accused of trolling.  This is tragic.

Ok let’s end this here. You clearly believe or want us to believe that your way is best and everyone else is wrong that does it differently. That’s your opinion but calling it “the wisest advice ever offered in the entire history of golf” is just false. 

You have officially given your stance and no one is gonna change your mind. This is not the place for this type of mindset. If you aren’t willing to listen to other’s opinions and see validity in them then please move along.  You clearly say you don’t practice on the range so this topic is not for you. 

Im sorry but there is no one way to play/practice this beautiful game we are all clearly passionate about. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Going through all of that was 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back... Off to the Good Morning Thread!

@Buzzard3 glad that works for you and you have the facilities to make that work.

This is a open community with lots of opinions. Great to have your own, but just as your advice is encouraging others to improve their games maybe just maybe having an open mind about some suggestions will also in turn help your game. If this falls on deaf ears so be it.

I enjoy the range personally. With enhancements like top tracer challenges and drills it helps narrow focus on practice.

Playing practice is something I just don't have time for with a growing family and work. While I have done it in the past I can't say it improved my Overall game. Maybe maintained the Standard I had?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 8/19/2023 at 4:03 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Playing practice is something I just don't have time for with a growing family and work. While I have done it in the past I can't say it improved my Overall game. Maybe maintained the Standard I had?

Yes, it's a bit strange.  Some golfers improve with range practice but it actually makes my game worse.  My handicap had been stuck on 11 for a few years, but when I started practising by playing just one ball on a golf course, it dropped to 5 in six months.  I was amazed that something so dead simple could make that much difference and so quickly ... wish I'd discovered that secret earlier! 

If it worked for me, maybe it would work for someone else ...

Edited by Buzzard3

On 8/19/2023 at 9:34 AM, cnosil said:

Because you can only use one ball per your description.  if I dropped a ball at 73 yards before I got to the green that would be a second ball.  

Sigh ...

It's evident by now that there are a few Mean Girls on this site - it didn't take long for them to crawl out of the woodwork, I must say -  but I'm sure the vast majority of posters here are nice people.

Edited by Buzzard3

40 minutes ago, Buzzard3 said:

Sigh ...

It's evident by now that there are a few Mean Girls on this site - it didn't take long for them to crawl out of the woodwork, I must say -  but I'm sure the vast majority of posters here are nice people.

I can assure you - everyone on here is nice and only have the best of intentions....

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

1 hour ago, Buzzard3 said:

Sigh ...

Sorry you feel that way. I can see from both sides where there could be frustration or misunderstandings. Bottom line your method while it works for you is truly not possible for most of us. Facilities, time, preferences and more just don't allow for it. This has worked for you, great. In reality I dont know if it would work for many though. Given your handicap you must have a decent swing and understanding of your swing to allow you to do this. Not the case for many where they are trying to find a swing feeling, thought or placement. Realistically this will take a lot more than playing on the course. Not to mention the time that it would take. If you are taking 80 strokes per round you are getting 80 practice shots (including putting), with most members here that would be a 4 hour round for 80 overall shots. 

I can do a concentrated, focused practice and hit 80 balls in 20 hours and find a much better flow or feeling to my swing, vs figuring out on the course. 

Another factor not talked about is not everyone has a membership and can play a round whenever they want which would say be included in their membership. 

No way I would go and pay $80 for a round of golf (cost is actually much higher here, but lets go with 80 for kicks) which I would just consider practice. 

That same $80 would give me 400ish golf balls at the range. I can get a lot more training, practice and time to sort things through with that cost as well. 

This is all to say again, this method works for you which is great. Happy it does and because it works dont change! However dismissing others opinions as it doesnt align with yours isnt going to win many favors. It was good you explained your method more in depth afterwards, so maybe next time lead with that and the reactions will then be more in line with what you are hoping for. 

This is a fantastic community and a ton of information, good members and just flat out good people. Be open to suggestions, opinions and pushback on takes which may go against convention as well the norm is clearly going to be just that the norm. Not to say it is right or wrong, but a little more explanation out of the gate will surely help. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 8/18/2023 at 4:03 PM, cksurfdude said:

There's also another popular theory (no, which does not make it correct but..) that 10,000 hours of dedicated, focused practice can lead to mastery of the chosen subject.

Funny how there are many other areas of life where we practice, practice, practice so that when we have to perform muscle memory takes the lead. There are certain professions where we work hard to develop that muscle.memory yo set the basis of performance, because that hundredth or thousandth of a second delay it takes to "think" about what you might do before executing can be catastrophic; that built-in ability to react effectively also allows that additional time to assess and respond to ever changing (fluid) situations; how does this NOT translate to golf? Train like you fight, fight like you train; is an old and apt adage. The hours of developing a consistent swing provides THE basis upon which everything else is built.

But as stated by another here, don't forget to have fun doing it.

Peace out.

Edited by Subdiver1
  • Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

1 hour ago, Subdiver1 said:

Funny how there are many other areas of life where we practice, practice, practice so that when we have to perform muscle memory takes the lead. There are certain professions where we work hard to develop that muscle.memory yo set the basis of performance, because that hundredth or thousandth of a second delay it takes to "think" about what you might do before executing can be catastrophic; that built-in ability to react effectively also allows that additional time to assess and respond to ever changing (fluid) situations; how does this NOT translate to golf? Train like you fight, fight like you train; is an old and apt adage. The hours of developing a consistent swing provides THE basis upon which everything else is built.

But as stated by another here, don't forget to have fun doing it.

Peace out.

It doesn’t happen with golf because golf is a lot of unnatural movements and for most people they picked up the game when they were adults so they have the requisite strength to overpower the club and they make what are more natural movements which in golf is a bad thing.

Then when they decide they want to take the game serious and work on their swing many want immediate results and will move on from one thing to another instead of sticking with one thing til they improve on it.

another reason is they lack the the understanding of the movements or lack sense of the body and it’s movement so they end doing the movement wrong from from the start and end up creating a bad motor pattern. Muscles dont have memory and what that refers to is actually motor control and the motor neurons creating that memory path.

The longer that they engrain that bad motor pattern the longer it will take to undo it. Also add in many have family and other commitments that they either don’t have the time to practice, won’t make the time for the practice or prefer to play over practice. All that leads to not getting better or having big peaks and valleys in their game.

The time it takes to undo bad motor patterns is weeks and months. Slow controlled movements at first, then slowly increasing reps, then in the case of golf speed until the new motor pattern becomes natural. As mentioned most adults don’t have the time, patience or both to go thru the process.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I consider myself a bit of a range rat, so I figured I'd give some insight into what I do to try and get the most out of a driving range session:

• What is YOUR approach on the range?
    • As most golfers already know, you want to go into a range session with a goal in mind. Something you want to work on that day or a miss that you're trying to correct. You don't want to just show up, mindlessly hit balls and go home. Typically I'll go into a session with one or two things I want to fix/improve and go from there.
  • What CRAZY range activities have you seen from others?
    • I've seen people show up to a range, hit 200 balls with one club and then go home. There is definitely a big factor of quality over quantity when it comes to a range session. Although you might think you're putting in hard work, you may just be reinforcing bad habits.
  • Do you consider yourself a Range Rat, or is it just a place to loosen up the joints and then head to the course?
    • As stated above, I do consider myself a Range Rat! I live in the city, so it's not as easy for me to just get out for a quick nine after work during the week. I have a range fairly close to me that is open year round, so I try to take advantage and get out when I can. When it comes to a range session before a round, I've always found it beneficial to hit some balls to loosen up and see how my game is shaping up.
    • However, there is a major difference for me between a standalone range session and a session before a round. A standalone range session for me is typically working on my swing, alignment, misses, etc. so that I can prepare for future rounds. I usually have alignment sticks and a camera set up to get real-time feedback on my swing. There are often many swing thoughts bouncing around my head in these standalone sessions.
    • When I get to a driving range before a round, I try not to think about anything of those intrusive thoughts. If you're overthinking on a golf course, you're starting off on the wrong foot already. I just try to swing easy and hope that the muscle memory I've been building in those standalone range sessions carries over.
  • Do you prefer "old school" open air ranges and just watching the ball fly, or do you like to have some launch monitor data to go along with your range time? 
    • Personally, I've always preferred "old school" open air ranges. I think it's a more realistic environment and you can get real-time feedback on your ball when it's in the air. However, with the introduction of all of this new technology, I can understand why some people might enjoy having a launch monitor present to view the data. An ideal scenario to me would be an open air range with a launch monitor - best of both worlds.
  • Grass tees, or Mats (if you have a choice...)?
    • I will take grass over mats every single time. I would be seriously questioning the sanity of anyone who would prefer mats for a proper driving range session. I can understand how some grass ranges can get beat up over time, especially if not properly maintained. But a good grass range is absolutely preferred 10/10 times. 
  • Do you hit at targets, hit to a distance, or watching shot shape (or all of the above)?
    • I think it is always a good idea to hit to a target. I'm not often hitting to a particular distance, but I do try to take note of how far (approximately) certain shots are going. Going back to what I said earlier, mindlessly hitting shots just to hit shots doesn't lead to improving your game. Pick a target, get into a routine that you can recreate on the course, take a practice swing, and analyze the shot after it's hit. I'm typically not trying to shape the ball much - if I can get them to go towards the target I'm aiming for, that's usually good enough for me.  
  • What is your club selection at the range?
    • I'm sure others have heard of Tiger's range warmup before a round, but if you haven't, I'll break it down here: 18 shots with a 56-degree wedge, 10 shots with an 8-iron, 9 shots with a 4-iron, 4 shots with a 5-wood, 6 shots with a 3-wood, 7 shots with a driver, 3 more 8-iron shots, 5 shots with a 60-degree wedge, 2 more shots with 3-wood, 2 more drivers, 5 more chips with 56-degree wedge
    • My routine for a standalone range session is somewhat similar, but modified for personal preference. I typically start by hitting 10-15 shots with my 54-degree wedge, 10 shots with 8-iron, 6-8 shots with 5-iron, 5 shots with 3-hybrid, 3 shots with 3-wood, 8 shots with driver, 4 shots with 6-iron, 5 shots with pitching wedge, 5 shots with 58-degree wedge.
    • That routine can also change based off things I'm working on, clubs I'm struggling with, etc... earlier this year when I was going through swing changes, I would spend way more time on my shorter clubs before transitioning to longer ones. You want to make sure your technique on a lay-up is correct before moving beyond the 3-point line.
  • Any other nuances that make your range work your own?
    • At the end of every range session, I always chip 5-10 balls at the closer flags 50 or so yards away. This conclusion to my routine helps ground me and bring me back to the basics, while also working on my accuracy and alignment. Also I always make sure to end on a good shot! Even if you leave a few balls left for the next person, don't end on a shank. Best of luck to everyone grinding on the range!

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425  Max 9.0º, Ventus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º, Ventus Red Velocore 7S, image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR1 5 wood 18º, Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW Blue 65S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball: image.png.52cb58764bddc9c00ba3060db6a87cc7.png Tour B XS

20 hours ago, Byrnzee said:

I consider myself a bit of a range rat, so I figured I'd give some insight into what I do to try and get the most out of a driving range session:

• What is YOUR approach on the range?
    • As most golfers already know, you want to go into a range session with a goal in mind. Something you want to work on that day or a miss that you're trying to correct. You don't want to just show up, mindlessly hit balls and go home. Typically I'll go into a session with one or two things I want to fix/improve and go from there.
  • What CRAZY range activities have you seen from others?
    • I've seen people show up to a range, hit 200 balls with one club and then go home. There is definitely a big factor of quality over quantity when it comes to a range session. Although you might think you're putting in hard work, you may just be reinforcing bad habits.
  • Do you consider yourself a Range Rat, or is it just a place to loosen up the joints and then head to the course?
    • As stated above, I do consider myself a Range Rat! I live in the city, so it's not as easy for me to just get out for a quick nine after work during the week. I have a range fairly close to me that is open year round, so I try to take advantage and get out when I can. When it comes to a range session before a round, I've always found it beneficial to hit some balls to loosen up and see how my game is shaping up.
    • However, there is a major difference for me between a standalone range session and a session before a round. A standalone range session for me is typically working on my swing, alignment, misses, etc. so that I can prepare for future rounds. I usually have alignment sticks and a camera set up to get real-time feedback on my swing. There are often many swing thoughts bouncing around my head in these standalone sessions.
    • When I get to a driving range before a round, I try not to think about anything of those intrusive thoughts. If you're overthinking on a golf course, you're starting off on the wrong foot already. I just try to swing easy and hope that the muscle memory I've been building in those standalone range sessions carries over.
  • Do you prefer "old school" open air ranges and just watching the ball fly, or do you like to have some launch monitor data to go along with your range time? 
    • Personally, I've always preferred "old school" open air ranges. I think it's a more realistic environment and you can get real-time feedback on your ball when it's in the air. However, with the introduction of all of this new technology, I can understand why some people might enjoy having a launch monitor present to view the data. An ideal scenario to me would be an open air range with a launch monitor - best of both worlds.
  • Grass tees, or Mats (if you have a choice...)?
    • I will take grass over mats every single time. I would be seriously questioning the sanity of anyone who would prefer mats for a proper driving range session. I can understand how some grass ranges can get beat up over time, especially if not properly maintained. But a good grass range is absolutely preferred 10/10 times. 
  • Do you hit at targets, hit to a distance, or watching shot shape (or all of the above)?
    • I think it is always a good idea to hit to a target. I'm not often hitting to a particular distance, but I do try to take note of how far (approximately) certain shots are going. Going back to what I said earlier, mindlessly hitting shots just to hit shots doesn't lead to improving your game. Pick a target, get into a routine that you can recreate on the course, take a practice swing, and analyze the shot after it's hit. I'm typically not trying to shape the ball much - if I can get them to go towards the target I'm aiming for, that's usually good enough for me.  
  • What is your club selection at the range?
    • I'm sure others have heard of Tiger's range warmup before a round, but if you haven't, I'll break it down here: 18 shots with a 56-degree wedge, 10 shots with an 8-iron, 9 shots with a 4-iron, 4 shots with a 5-wood, 6 shots with a 3-wood, 7 shots with a driver, 3 more 8-iron shots, 5 shots with a 60-degree wedge, 2 more shots with 3-wood, 2 more drivers, 5 more chips with 56-degree wedge
    • My routine for a standalone range session is somewhat similar, but modified for personal preference. I typically start by hitting 10-15 shots with my 54-degree wedge, 10 shots with 8-iron, 6-8 shots with 5-iron, 5 shots with 3-hybrid, 3 shots with 3-wood, 8 shots with driver, 4 shots with 6-iron, 5 shots with pitching wedge, 5 shots with 58-degree wedge.
    • That routine can also change based off things I'm working on, clubs I'm struggling with, etc... earlier this year when I was going through swing changes, I would spend way more time on my shorter clubs before transitioning to longer ones. You want to make sure your technique on a lay-up is correct before moving beyond the 3-point line.
  • Any other nuances that make your range work your own?
    • At the end of every range session, I always chip 5-10 balls at the closer flags 50 or so yards away. This conclusion to my routine helps ground me and bring me back to the basics, while also working on my accuracy and alignment. Also I always make sure to end on a good shot! Even if you leave a few balls left for the next person, don't end on a shank. Best of luck to everyone grinding on the range!

Love this. Agree with it all. I wouldn’t add a thing. 

Current WITB:

Driver:   default_benhogan-small.gif.bd4aea80f46a0fd64e2b8412d1ee19dc.gif Big Ben CS3 9.5deg Aldila NV-h 70-R

Fairway: Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png KE4 3W w/KE4 75-R

Irons Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png MMB Forged 3-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold Lite

Wedges:  Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png56 Deg, 60 Deg

Putter:   Sub70.png Sycamore 008 Mallet

Preferred Balls: Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

Ran across this video today and thought it was a really good discussion about practicing on the range.  If you have read my posts before you should know I am a DECADE and Scott Fawcett fan so this lines up with how I think.   As someone who struggles with chipping distance I am going to work on tip 3.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Ran across this video today and thought it was a really good discussion about practicing on the range.  If you have read my posts before you should know I am a DECADE and Scott Fawcett fan so this lines up with how I think.   As someone who struggles with chipping distance I am going to work on tip 3.   

1st.youtube video I have ever watched, interesting drill on the putting green, havent worked much on 7-10-12-15 foot chips but will start doing that. 

committed to performance excellence

Good morning spy's

One of my playing partners, who has been in the game for many years and has coached some players etc, but isnt a teaching pro or have a ton of competitive golf cred (I mention this because I dont usually take much notice from weekend warriors)

Anyway I have been pulling some of my scoring irons off my intended line, he said, "you may be standing a bit too close to the ball" 

So I went to the range yesterday and moved marginally, probably an inch or two further away from the ball and man did it feel good, seemed like the shots were more on line however I did still pull some shots, but even that little bit of room gave me the feeling of freedom so could swing down the line on my follow through.

The proof will be in the pudding today.

committed to performance excellence