Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Butt Cutting Driver Shaft to fit 5W

I am sure that this topic has been discussed before but I was unable to find a match on the search bar and wanted to see if I could get some insight from anyone that has done this before.  First I will explain my thought process and what I want to do and if you have done something similar please weigh in with your experiences.

So I have an old driver laying around that I typically use as a backup or let someone play if they are visiting without clubs.  I have been tinkering with adding a 5W in my bag for a while and as everyone knows the cost of new clubs these days is really high and not conducive for my experiments.  I currently have the extra shaft, with the adaptor of the manufacturer that I want to get a 5W with and I have the tools to do a butt cut only on a driver shaft I already own.  I am fully aware that the shaft manufactures suggest that you cut both the tip and butt to maintain the shaft's characteristics, but being able to do all of this on my own and order a brand new 5W club head for ~$100 has me considering trying it this way.  The purpose of this post is to see if anyone has done anything similar and how it worked out for them.  If there are horror stories to this process then I would probably avoid but if works essentially the same then I think the cost savings is worth the risk.

Let me know if anyone has done anything similar.

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

I butt cut my driver shaft about 2.5" when I went down to a 43" driver for a while (granted you are going into a 5W head which will probably be heavier than almost any driver head). Obviously made it play stiffer but it really threw off the swing weight. May not be as much of a problem for you but I found it hard to get used to the significant change in swingweight (which you can try to counteract with lead tape or shaft weights or head weights, etc.). Not a horror story really and I will step aside for more knowledgeable people to respond. Personally, I love to tinker so if an idea like this gets in my head I am generally going to try it out. 

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

3 hours ago, vandyland said:

I butt cut my driver shaft about 2.5" when I went down to a 43" driver for a while (granted you are going into a 5W head which will probably be heavier than almost any driver head). Obviously made it play stiffer but it really threw off the swing weight. May not be as much of a problem for you but I found it hard to get used to the significant change in swingweight (which you can try to counteract with lead tape or shaft weights or head weights, etc.). Not a horror story really and I will step aside for more knowledgeable people to respond. Personally, I love to tinker so if an idea like this gets in my head I am generally going to try it out. 

Nailed it right here.  

I totally understand about the swing weight on the same club/swing.  But this would be the first 5W that would be in my bag, the weight would be the only experience I would have with this club.  Curious if I would even know the difference, or if it would greatly affect the performance of the club.

Edited by DeBartola_B

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

19 minutes ago, DeBartola_B said:

Nailed it right here.  

I totally understand about the swing weight on the same club/swing.  But this would be the first 5W that would be in my bag, the weight would be the only experience I would have with this club.  Curious if I would even know the difference, or if it would greatly affect the performance of the club.

It really isn’t just about swing weight.  by not tip trimming a driver shaft and putting it in a 5w you will probably be dropping is a flex or maybe 2 depending on the shaft profile so a Stiff shaft may be a regular or senior in the 5 wood.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

55 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It really isn’t just about swing weight.  by not tip trimming a driver shaft and putting it in a 5w you will probably be dropping is a flex or maybe 2 depending on the shaft profile so a Stiff shaft may be a regular or senior in the 5 wood.  

This 👆

Shaft is going to play very whippy, I would recommend against your plan.  If you want to use the shaft and save money then it would be worth pulling the adapter and tip trimming it the recommended amount.

Mind if we ask what shaft and club head you are talking about?  You may be better off finding a used 5w for similar cost and trying that out first but the cost is going to depend on what you are looking for.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

17 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

This 👆

Shaft is going to play very whippy, I would recommend against your plan.  If you want to use the shaft and save money then it would be worth pulling the adapter and tip trimming it the recommended amount.

Mind if we ask what shaft and club head you are talking about?  You may be better off finding a used 5w for similar cost and trying that out first but the cost is going to depend on what you are looking for.

The shaft is a Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60 XS off of a Cobra Speedzone driver.  A quick eBay search shows I can get a Cobra LTDx 5W head for around $100.  A LTDx 5W is currently selling for ~$200.

I am definitely weary of the shaft dropping multiple stiffness categories, it seems like the best bet would be to get someone pull the adapter and trim the tip the correct amount.  Which is still probably cheaper than the new club.

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

I think pulling the adapter and tip trimming is the way to go. 

2nd option would be to look at used clubs.  Guessing you can find a shafted cobra 5w for not much more than the head only if you are patient, but if you want something right away and are open to other brands I would check out Sub70 for a great product at a lower price.  Also Callaway Preowned has 25-40% off their fairway woods right now.

Best of luck with your search, 5w is one of my favorite clubs 🙂

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I've done with a 5 wood. It was a bit "whippier" due to extra tip length. If I got on it, it was a big hook. If I swung smoothly, it was great, straight and long...longer than typical 5 wood which is about 210 for me. I was getting 225-230 with it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk