Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

L.A.B. Putters - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow the testers main posts in the links below!

@RoverRick TESTING POST

@McGolf TESTING POST

@pozzit TESTING POST

@Splatt TESTING POST

@Syks7 TESTING POST

@TSauer TESTING POST

Favorite Review?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which tester had your favorite overall review?

2 hours ago, DRLEONARD58 said:

I suppose I am just concerned with the need for a lie angle adjustment after ordering my custom putter. I do feel like the toe of my current putter is up a bit so the slightly flatter angle (2* flatter) would remedy that. 

Slightly off-topic: How did everyone who uses a LAB Putter choose the particular style (Link, MEZZ, or DF)? I am honestly torn between the Link and the DF. I am currently rolling a Ping Sedona blade-style putter that I have had for ~25 years. I have always been interested in mallet style putters but nothing has convinced me to make the switch -- until LAB golf. Aesthetically, I do not love the MEZZ, which is shocking since the DF style actually appeals to me. I had been eyeing the Link due to it's traditional style but I am wondering if I would gain more consistency and scoring from a DF. Any thoughts are welcome!

I'm responding here to both of your previous queries, as it's easier to group them into one - and the second is not off-topic at all! 🙂

I was selected to test the LAB last year, and even though I was then playing a fang-style putter and was really drawn to the Mezz, I opted for the DF 2.1, specifically because (according to LAB and Sam Hahn, LAB's CEO) it's their most forgiving, most tech-filled putter.  It's the thing that really changed everything, and it's still their flagship product, as far as MOST forgiving.  Now, had the Mezz Max been out at that moment, I might have gone that direction, but honestly - the DF is the single greatest piece of golf equipment I've ever owned.  It actually DOES what they CLAIM it does.  All you have to do is pick the line and pace (hard enough as it is, I know), and then rock those shoulders so as to not get your hands involved, and the ball WILL roll on the line you chose.  It's kind of crazy. 

As for the fit, I can tell you this: I went and did an in-person putter fitting about 3 months before my LAB experience.  I was fit into a 68 degree putter.  I did the LAB fitting shortly thereafter, as I was already considering buying one, and they came back with 68 degrees, which I thought was pretty amazing.  But then I did a WHOLE lot of work on my putting stroke, so much so that I changed a LOT of things - where I stood, how I held it, etc...and when I got selected for my test and did the fitting, I was fit into 65(!) degrees.  I actually discussed this with the fitter at the time, and his advice was simple: trust us.  They could see from the video that 65 was where I was set up, and one of the things I love the most about the DF is how it's simplified my set-up.  I used to get over the ball and not know if I was in the right spot - but now, I center the putter behind the line on the ball (I use the directional line to ensure I'm lining up over the line I want to start on), ensure that it's laying flat, then step up to it - if the putter's heel is off the ground, I'm a little too close, and if it the toe is up, I'm a little too far away.  It's that easy. 

I feel like I sound like I work for LAB - I wish. I get no kickbacks if you buy one of their putters, lol.  

But I'll say I've genuinely thought about adding another one to my collection - I honestly don't think I'll ever game a non-LAB putter again. 

Take that for what it's worth 😉

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

2 hours ago, DRLEONARD58 said:

I suppose I am just concerned with the need for a lie angle adjustment after ordering my custom putter. I do feel like the toe of my current putter is up a bit so the slightly flatter angle (2* flatter) would remedy that. 

Slightly off-topic: How did everyone who uses a LAB Putter choose the particular style (Link, MEZZ, or DF)? I am honestly torn between the Link and the DF. I am currently rolling a Ping Sedona blade-style putter that I have had for ~25 years. I have always been interested in mallet style putters but nothing has convinced me to make the switch -- until LAB golf. Aesthetically, I do not love the MEZZ, which is shocking since the DF style actually appeals to me. I had been eyeing the Link due to it's traditional style but I am wondering if I would gain more consistency and scoring from a DF. Any thoughts are welcome!

My main reasoning for choosing the Link over the others is pretty straightforward... the looks. Do I feel the other models may be even more forgiving? Absolutely. But, from an aesthetic standpoint, I believe I would feel much more confident standing over a putt with the Link versus a Mezz or DF. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to golf, and I've always been an advocate for playing a club that pleases the eye.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

31 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Do I feel the other models may be even more forgiving? Absolutely. But, from an aesthetic standpoint, I believe I would feel much more confident standing over a putt with the Link versus a Mezz or DF. 

Same deal for me.  I have to like the look of what I'm standing over.  From the moment I saw the Link I liked it.  🤷‍♂️

Aesthetically speaking the Innovai is similar in shape to the Mez so I could also have gone that way, but I'm just not thrilled about needing the forward press grips -- even though I understand the necessity. I'm just not a huge fan of the thicker putter grips in general.

On another note I was talking to a friend I haven't seen in a while about testing the Link and he mentioned that he too was trying L.A.B products out on advice from a fairly well known PGA pro he's friends with.  In talking about our experiences he's clearly experienced  period  in there being an acclimatization period where he wasn't thrilled before his friend told him that he had to stop fighting the technology with his hands (same boat as me).  He's now completely sold.  I know there's a lot of fans out there but I'm curious about the folks that don't give it a chance.  

Edited by Syks7

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

15 hours ago, DRLEONARD58 said:

Question for the reviewers and other MSG forum members that have LAB Putters: if you did the remote virtual fitting, how accurate was the fitting? I did the remote fitting and I am on the verge of placing my custom putter and am concerned with the fitting.

I found it to be very accurate though make sure you measure your putter properly.  The Lie angle suggested to me was about 4 degrees flatter than what I have on my Innovai and I chose to roll with what was suggested.  There were some small adjustments in setup but I made quick work of it using a mirror and the sight lines on the putter to have a visual cue to when the putter is at the proper lie angle.  It's pretty easy to tell when you have it right because any stroke is smooth.  If your lie angle is off at all you'll know immediately.  I find myself stopping during the back stroke and resetting when I'm off.  As far as adjustments go   I have not asked Sam, but I'm guessing any adjustments to lie angle require shipping back to L.A.B. for rebalancing and a fee?  Fortunately for Link, I think it may be reasonable straight forward since it's so modular.  I'm guessing each hosel is machined at an exact lie angle and they have tables of weight configurations based on raw head weight with fine adjustments available depending on the exact measurements of the weights.  I'd bet they swap the hosel, reshaft, install weights, check the balance, and get it back out.  I'm sure its proprietary but I'd still love to see an assembly start to finish.

The only adjustments I've made have been to swap the grip and take 1/2" off the length.  I was having a repetitive funny issue with fatting putts.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

Update on my LAB Golf Putter Journey:
I was able to sneak away this afternoon and headed to my local PGA Superstore where they had all LAB Golf models available to demo. On the floor, they had Link.1 Stock (35"), DF2.1 Stock (35"), MEZZ.1 Stock (35") MEZZ.1 Max Custom (Blue, 35", White Accra Shaft)!

BLUF or TLDR: I came out of this quick escape session with a dramatically increased interest in the MEZZ.1 Max putter and the need for another session.

Before today, the only other DF's that I had seen in person were broomstick and armlock configurations, but after seeing it in person with a standard style shaft.. the proportions take some getting used to but still actually like the aesthetic. The Link is gorgeous in my opinion, but the surprise was the MEZZ and MEZZ Max -- I had never seen either in person and honestly didn't like the online pictures -- they are much more attractive in person! It doesn't hurt to see a custom one in a nice shade of blue with the white shaft to really set it off.

On the performance side, I was surprised (but perhaps I shouldn't have been) at how different all of these models felt and subsequently on how I putted with each. Here are my quick thoughts (and some I am still digesting):
- Link.1: Gorgeous, felt the "heaviest" during the swing and felt the most familiar at address as I currently play a Ping Sedona blade style putter. Very hard for me to line up with the shaft and the alignment mark all intersecting at the same (or close) point in the middle of the head. 

- DF2.1: Coming from the Link, the DF2.1 felt gigantic and the 3* forward press grip was very different. Did a quick search and they suggest putting the ball in the front of your stance when putting with the DF which helped immensely. Easier to line up than the Link given the large head with stock markings and the shape of the head.

- MEZZ.1:  After the DF2.1 this looked almost comically small or the proportions were off. On the performance side, lining up this putter was very easy and loved the feel off the face.

- MEZZ.1 Max: Liked the marginal size increase over the MEZZ.1 and like the MEZZ.1 was very easy to line up and the feel was great. 

I struggled with the Link and DF in lining up puts and subsequently made less puts. With all of the putters, the ball rolled phenomenally right from the start (after adjusting to the 3* forward press on the DF2.1) but at one point I made 18 straight puts from 8-10 feet with the MEZZ.1 Max, the 1.5* press grip on the MEZZ.1 models was easier for me to adapt to when compared to the 3* grip on the DF2.1. I kept coming back to the MEZZ.1 Max during my rotation testing and just flat out making puts. In terms of ranking (by # of made putts) it would be MEZZ.1 Max, DF2.1 and Link.1.

Clearly, I need another session and time to digest my experience!

Edited by DRLEONARD58

WITB:

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS Driver 10.5* (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS 5 Wood with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Untitled2.png.80d892461ed08eaa7fe955b28995d7e9.png Ping G430 22* Hybrid with HZRDUS Smoke Red 80g 6.0 shaft

Untitled.png.5ecdabcbb4b233d7651619da934c3a6a.png Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW with KBS Tour Light R shafts

Edison.png.1b14460d57753ae667327c0f7d3399a9.png Edison 2.0 Wedges 51° 55° 59° with KBS Tour 110 R shafts

image.png.a072db0e36674771c57e6581a9a7be30.png L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX with LAB x Accra shaft

On 6/6/2023 at 11:51 AM, GolfSpy SAM said:

I'm responding here to both of your previous queries, as it's easier to group them into one - and the second is not off-topic at all! 🙂

I was selected to test the LAB last year, and even though I was then playing a fang-style putter and was really drawn to the Mezz, I opted for the DF 2.1, specifically because (according to LAB and Sam Hahn, LAB's CEO) it's their most forgiving, most tech-filled putter.  It's the thing that really changed everything, and it's still their flagship product, as far as MOST forgiving.  Now, had the Mezz Max been out at that moment, I might have gone that direction, but honestly - the DF is the single greatest piece of golf equipment I've ever owned.  It actually DOES what they CLAIM it does.  All you have to do is pick the line and pace (hard enough as it is, I know), and then rock those shoulders so as to not get your hands involved, and the ball WILL roll on the line you chose.  It's kind of crazy. 

As for the fit, I can tell you this: I went and did an in-person putter fitting about 3 months before my LAB experience.  I was fit into a 68 degree putter.  I did the LAB fitting shortly thereafter, as I was already considering buying one, and they came back with 68 degrees, which I thought was pretty amazing.  But then I did a WHOLE lot of work on my putting stroke, so much so that I changed a LOT of things - where I stood, how I held it, etc...and when I got selected for my test and did the fitting, I was fit into 65(!) degrees.  I actually discussed this with the fitter at the time, and his advice was simple: trust us.  They could see from the video that 65 was where I was set up, and one of the things I love the most about the DF is how it's simplified my set-up.  I used to get over the ball and not know if I was in the right spot - but now, I center the putter behind the line on the ball (I use the directional line to ensure I'm lining up over the line I want to start on), ensure that it's laying flat, then step up to it - if the putter's heel is off the ground, I'm a little too close, and if it the toe is up, I'm a little too far away.  It's that easy. 

I feel like I sound like I work for LAB - I wish. I get no kickbacks if you buy one of their putters, lol.  

But I'll say I've genuinely thought about adding another one to my collection - I honestly don't think I'll ever game a non-LAB putter again. 

Take that for what it's worth 😉

@GolfSpy SAM is dead on!  The DF putter is the single greatest piece of golf equipment I've owned as well (followed closely by my Edison wedges).  The description of the fitting and setting up the putter is exactly how I set up and know I have the right putting position.  

I put my LAB DF 2.1 into play at the first of this year.  I'd been an OK putter and was struggling with a fitted Evnroll putter when I read the MGS LAB putter reviews and visited their website.   I sent in two of videos of my putting stroke (two most recent putters I was using of the 20 or so I have in my shed).  I got the feedback and the rep and I agreed with best lie angle for me.  I purchased one and put it in play right after the first of this year.   Without any practice time with my new putter on the course, it was an instant success.  My first round I had 24 total putts, two-thirds were one putts and one third were two putts.  No three putts!

Here's my strokes gained from putting for last year before introducing the LAB DF 2.1 putter and strokes gained so far this year with it:

2022  (Before DF 2.1 putter)                                                                               2023 (With DF 2.1 putter)

image.png.7b069b39f7b3f703255ee5736c9d6b15.png  image.png.73b9b38ca5bd1ab932978cbd4fe2cdea.png

And the 2023 LAB putter data includes a recent putting slump I've had.  

I loved the LAB DF 2.1 putter so much, I bought another one just as a backup just in case something happened to the first!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

24 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

@GolfSpy SAM is dead on!  The DF putter is the single greatest piece of golf equipment I've owned as well (followed closely by my Edison wedges).  The description of the fitting and setting up the putter is exactly how I set up and know I have the right putting position.  

I put my LAB DF 2.1 into play at the first of this year.  I'd been an OK putter and was struggling with a fitted Evnroll putter when I read the MGS LAB putter reviews and visited their website.   I sent in two of videos of my putting stroke (two most recent putters I was using of the 20 or so I have in my shed).  I got the feedback and the rep and I agreed with best lie angle for me.  I purchased one and put it in play right after the first of this year.   Without any practice time with my new putter on the course, it was an instant success.  My first round I had 24 total putts, two-thirds were one putts and one third were two putts.  No three putts!

Here's my strokes gained from putting for last year before introducing the LAB DF 2.1 putter and strokes gained so far this year with it:

2022  (Before DF 2.1 putter)                                                                               2023 (With DF 2.1 putter)

image.png.7b069b39f7b3f703255ee5736c9d6b15.png  image.png.73b9b38ca5bd1ab932978cbd4fe2cdea.png

And the 2023 LAB putter data includes a recent putting slump I've had.  

I loved the LAB DF 2.1 putter so much, I bought another one just as a backup just in case something happened to the first!

Another LAB and Edison user! I've always grouped the two clubs together because of their game changing technologies, funny enough Sam from LAB uses Edison wedges and Terry from Edison uses a LAB putter. They're meant to be! Solid stats for you after putting the DF 2.1 in play, I had similar gains with my DF as well and will be getting my new Link on the course this weekend!

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter: L.A.B. DF3 34"/67°
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

I had others tell me my distance control with the DF2.1 was amazing, and I was hitting the putts exactly where I was aiming. I just wasn’t aiming at the hole. I wasn’t far enough off to miss the 3’ers but wasn’t making much further than that unless the had a severe break and I got the speed perfect. 

So I was finally able to spend some time on my practice green with an alignment aid. I am now convinced that I was playing the ball too far forward and standing too close to the ball at address. These little set up changes, and I was draining 12’ers all last evening. I’ll probably putt 50 12’ers tonight without the alignment aid. (Wifey is not home and too much work to play today.) 

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 4 on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:taylormade-small: P790 Black 5-G on :kbs: TGI 80S 

:mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 58° on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Now officially played a round with the Mezz.1 Max. I have so many thoughts... Be ready for a freaking novel!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Now officially played a round with the Mezz.1 Max. I have so many thoughts... Be ready for a freaking novel!

Can't wait! I need to find some more time to sneak away and roll these putters again!

Edited by DRLEONARD58

WITB:

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS Driver 10.5* (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS 5 Wood with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Untitled2.png.80d892461ed08eaa7fe955b28995d7e9.png Ping G430 22* Hybrid with HZRDUS Smoke Red 80g 6.0 shaft

Untitled.png.5ecdabcbb4b233d7651619da934c3a6a.png Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW with KBS Tour Light R shafts

Edison.png.1b14460d57753ae667327c0f7d3399a9.png Edison 2.0 Wedges 51° 55° 59° with KBS Tour 110 R shafts

image.png.a072db0e36674771c57e6581a9a7be30.png L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX with LAB x Accra shaft

That headcover is superb.

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

Week 2

Alright wasn't super successful on getting out to golf (only 9 holes) but did get to the putting green for some more practice putts and a little head to head 18 hole putting green match with the 2 ball.

My 9 hole round was pretty rough there were some good some bad, and well the ugly was putting. I could not dial in speed or line. I think I forgot how to play the game. in total there were 21 putts I actually recorded a hand full of my putting but as it was a bit distracting and stupid hot out my phone and I wasn't having it. I did play great tee to green and hit 8 GIR but well could not lag putt. I left myself over 4-9 feet 6 times and only made 3 of them. My only missed green was the only 1 putt of the day.

Now on to something I want to talk about the head to head with my 2-ball putter. I had the green mostly to myself and its quite large so I ranged putts from 6'-60' I primarily focused in the 24-35' range since that is most often where I am from on a GIR. I hit 1 ball with each putter from each spot and rotated back and forth which I hit first to make it fair on misreads, I also went though my full routine with each putt. Over the total 18 DF had 39 putts, 2-ball had 42 putts. Seems like a lot of putts but only had 3 distances inside of 15' so 1 putt were rare, actually the only 2 one putts were with the LAB (8' & 37').  The biggest issue was definitely speed control, if I missed it was long, and it wasn't just the LAB.

Overall I feel like im learning its taking a bit but the LAB has outperformed the 2Ball so far. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

42 minutes ago, pozzit said:

Week 2

Alright wasn't super successful on getting out to golf (only 9 holes) but did get to the putting green for some more practice putts and a little head to head 18 hole putting green match with the 2 ball.

My 9 hole round was pretty rough there were some good some bad, and well the ugly was putting. I could not dial in speed or line. I think I forgot how to play the game. in total there were 21 putts I actually recorded a hand full of my putting but as it was a bit distracting and stupid hot out my phone and I wasn't having it. I did play great tee to green and hit 8 GIR but well could not lag putt. I left myself over 4-9 feet 6 times and only made 3 of them. My only missed green was the only 1 putt of the day.

Now on to something I want to talk about the head to head with my 2-ball putter. I had the green mostly to myself and its quite large so I ranged putts from 6'-60' I primarily focused in the 24-35' range since that is most often where I am from on a GIR. I hit 1 ball with each putter from each spot and rotated back and forth which I hit first to make it fair on misreads, I also went though my full routine with each putt. Over the total 18 DF had 39 putts, 2-ball had 42 putts. Seems like a lot of putts but only had 3 distances inside of 15' so 1 putt were rare, actually the only 2 one putts were with the LAB (8' & 37').  The biggest issue was definitely speed control, if I missed it was long, and it wasn't just the LAB.

Overall I feel like im learning its taking a bit but the LAB has outperformed the 2Ball so far. 

Great stuff - it definitely takes some getting used to, for sure, but love the work you're putting it to see if it works for you. Where are you putting the ball in your stance? That was the biggest adjustment for me - having it forward of the putter head (I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow in case that's not immediately clear) - almost a ball ahead - really helped the roll almost immediately. Pace definitely took the longest to dial in, but some of that (for me, anyway) was just the head weight change and "feeling" the pace of the greens. 

Excited to see how things continue for you!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Okay as promised I have an update!

It is late so probably not as long as I had originally thought... but before here is a photo dump of the LAB Mezz.1 Max I got!

PXL_20230606_165545673.jpg PXL_20230606_165613730.jpg 

PXL_20230606_153941989.jpg  PXL_20230606_153932916.jpg

PXL_20230606_153836817.jpg  PXL_20230606_153817800.jpg

PXL_20230606_153744959.jpg  PXL_20230606_153901000.jpg

PXL_20230606_153735128.jpg  PXL_20230606_153827020.jpg 

Okay first impressions - Looks

I was torn between going with the bright orange and the brown cappuccino. I am really glad that this is the directions I ended up taking. Not that the Mezz.1 Max is big, but more that it just looks so clean. The shaping of the mezz also leads to it looking a little smaller in a lot of lighting situations which is kinda nice too. 

The headcover is an all time great. Truly, LAB absolutely nailed it with the headcover. 

I chose T line as well and am really happy with how it looks and turned out. 

The all black Accra shaft has a different feel to it (texture wise) however looks every bit the part. 

Grip! Its sweet, I really like it and the feel is soft, but tacky and the black white I think is fine. Not my favourite, but it does the job! 

Feel - If anyone is looking for a great feeling putter. Run now to whatever store has these and try it out. I love the feel of this. After using the White Hot Micro Hinge face which is often characterized as marshmellowy this is so much better. 

Now toe and heel strikes have a very very different feel and sound. Which is good, but they are not nearly as pleasant as the middle. 

The balance, weighting and stroke with this putter is going to take a bit of getting use to. I normally forward press when I putt and with this grip and how the putter sits after some practice strokes I realized this was not the method for this putter. It is going to take some practice and getting used to, but quick spoiler. My frustrations and misses from 6ish feet are gone. 

First Impressions on the course. 

I will start by saying i had everyone in my group asking about the putter as soon as I took the headcover off. I played with a range of golfers today from scratch to 35 hdcp and they were all very intrigued by it. 

(oh and with it being lie angle balanced my new favourite thing is twirling the club as it just spins and spins and spins). 

So full disclosure I did 3 putt the first hole. Not a great start, but also not the putters fault. It was a user error on the speed. I will note on the practice green I did struggle a lot more with longer putts ... just something I need to practice more getting speed and finding middle with longer lag putts. 

That was my last 3 putt for the round and I will have to check my scorecard, but had several 1 putts and a good amount of 2 putts. 

This thing in terms of non longer lag putts is about as automatic as you can get for hitting the line you want it to be on. The putts I missed were because I misread the green and didn't account for enough break. I also made a concerted effort to mark every putt and align the the marker so I had it where it should be. 

I made 1 tap in birdie putt and missed 4 others by less than a ball burning edges all day long. It was fun I have to admit and several of them it just came down to speed control. Which is fine, first round I really cant complain. 

Key Takeaways after round 1
- Feel on this putter is truly exceptional. A can't miss try it when you can. 
- Lie Angle Balance is the real deal (again after 1 round)
- Shorter putts feel automatic and longer putts are going to require some more training and practice.
- This thing looks so good. I will get more photos on course hopefully Monday as it looks that much better on the course and in sun light. 
- I had no aversion or really noticed the fact it was center shafted. Didn't cross my mind once. 

PXL_20230606_153811851.jpg

Glad you could finally join us! The cappuccino color looks FANTASTIC, probably my favorite of all their options. Plus, paired with that headcover... 15/10 combo!

Interested to hear your thoughts after a few more rounds. 👍

The Link drained a 25 footer tonight for birdie, it is easily earning its spot in the bag. I am really torn on upgrading the grip though, I'll give it a few more rounds and see how she goes.

Let the games begin 

IMG_7410.jpeg

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Wasn’t lucky enough to get selected for this, but came across a person that had one (MEZZ.1) on course and they let me roll a few on the practice green, cause naturally I asked about it 🙂

Couple of things I noticed, and would be interested in peoples comments who have spent time with them.

The length was 34” but it felt shorter, like maybe an inch shorter. Perhaps because of the preset shaft lean due to grip?

The biggest surprise though was it sounded super clicky, like crazy clicky. The putter had the stock steel shaft so would be interested in any confirmation of that from others. But also those that might have optioned more exotic graphite shaft options what their feels and impressions are?

Driver: Titleist TSR2 9º with TPT Nitro Driver 17 Hi

Fairway #1: Titleist TSR2 15º with TPT Power Fairway 17 Hi

Fairway #2: Titleist TSR2 21º with TPT Power Fairway 17 Hi

Utility: Titleist T200 Utility Build 3i (20º) with TPT Power Hybrid 16 Hi

Irons: Mizuno Pro 241 (4-PW) with UST Mamiya DART V 120 F4

Irons (special occasions): Miura MC-502 (4-PW) with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx

Wedges: Vokey SM10 Jet Black (50.08 F, 56.08 M, 60.04 T) with UST Mamiya DART V 120 F4

Putter: L.A.B MEZZ.1 MAX Counterbalance with L.A.B. x TPT Long

Ball: Titleist Pro V1 X or Bridgestone Tour B X

3 minutes ago, Torden Golf said:

Wasn’t lucky enough to get selected for this, but came across a person that had one (MEZZ.1) on course and they let me roll a few on the practice green, cause naturally I asked about it 🙂

Couple of things I noticed, and would be interested in peoples comments who have spent time with them.

The length was 34” but it felt shorter, like maybe an inch shorter. Perhaps because of the preset shaft lean due to grip?

The biggest surprise though was it sounded super clicky, like crazy clicky. The putter had the stock steel shaft so would be interested in any confirmation of that from others. But also those that might have optioned more exotic graphite shaft options what their feels and impressions are?

I recall LAB saying that the Shaft plays a huge role in sound. To my knowledge, myself and all the other testers went with the Accra shaft. 

When you do the custom option with LAB both the Steel and Accra are $100 so I don't know why (if you go custom... and given the options I think it is worth it) anyone wouldnt want to go with the Accra shaft. 

As for length, I play 35 and that is what it is spec'd for and I would actually say the opposite that it feels longer (which is a nice thing for me)

I would expect that it felt short due to the lie angle. The lie angle is crazy important for these and what makes them tick and work for each individual as a golfer. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I recall LAB saying that the Shaft plays a huge role in sound. To my knowledge, myself and all the other testers went with the Accra shaft. 

When you do the custom option with LAB both the Steel and Accra are $100 so I don't know why (if you go custom... and given the options I think it is worth it) anyone wouldnt want to go with the Accra shaft. 

As for length, I play 35 and that is what it is spec'd for and I would actually say the opposite that it feels longer (which is a nice thing for me)

I would expect that it felt short due to the lie angle. The lie angle is crazy important for these and what makes them tick and work for each individual as a golfer. 

The one I saw and tried definitely looked/felt like cost was the primary objective. I mean they’re on the more expensive side to begin with. But even the head cover looked like the cheapest option they have.

I would also 100% go with an upcharge shaft, most likely even the LA Golf option.

And completely agree on the absolute necessity to get fitted for this putter, more so that any other. I mean, bottom line, if the lie angle is wrong for the player then the whole premise of the putter is undermined.

If you send in the fitting video, aside from lie angle, can they also look to recommend the length based on angles?

Driver: Titleist TSR2 9º with TPT Nitro Driver 17 Hi

Fairway #1: Titleist TSR2 15º with TPT Power Fairway 17 Hi

Fairway #2: Titleist TSR2 21º with TPT Power Fairway 17 Hi

Utility: Titleist T200 Utility Build 3i (20º) with TPT Power Hybrid 16 Hi

Irons: Mizuno Pro 241 (4-PW) with UST Mamiya DART V 120 F4

Irons (special occasions): Miura MC-502 (4-PW) with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx

Wedges: Vokey SM10 Jet Black (50.08 F, 56.08 M, 60.04 T) with UST Mamiya DART V 120 F4

Putter: L.A.B MEZZ.1 MAX Counterbalance with L.A.B. x TPT Long

Ball: Titleist Pro V1 X or Bridgestone Tour B X

6 minutes ago, Torden Golf said:

The one I saw and tried definitely looked/felt like cost was the primary objective. I mean they’re on the more expensive side to begin with. But even the head cover looked like the cheapest option they have.

I would also 100% go with an upcharge shaft, most likely even the LA Golf option.

And completely agree on the absolute necessity to get fitted for this putter, more so that any other. I mean, bottom line, if the lie angle is wrong for the player then the whole premise of the putter is undermined.

If you send in the fitting video, aside from lie angle, can they also look to recommend the length based on angles?

Yeah, to an extent. You need to take measurements of your current putter and send those along as well so that they can make the proper recommendation. 

It is quick and easy to do. Sam has a great video explaining it as well. 

https://labgolf.com/remote-fitting/

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Major update for me and the LAB. I was honestly thinking that I was not going to be able to figure this putter out. The distance control was great. I could hit it exactly where I was aiming, according to my playing partners. I just couldn’t seem to aim at the hole. 

There is nothing more frustrating than hitting 18 putts that stop a few inches left of the hole, and then hearing, “That’s where you were aiming.” 

The wife was out of town so the putting green was moved to the living room and putted several times a day. I played it forward, back, open stance, closed stance, up close, far away, and it didn’t seem to make any difference. I pulled out the Odyssey and drained it. Evnroll, no problem. 3 different Scotty’s were also fine. LAB, I would miss. I decided to give the LAB some more time. 

Then in my pre-round warm up I was on the range, I had a range ball on the ground, I took my grip with my left hand, ensuring that the face was “square” to the back of my left hand, and SHAZAM!  It hit me. I was squaring the LAB with the line of the putt and then gripping the club. 

So I head over to one of rhe practice greens and drop a ball, grip the club with my lead hand ensuring the face is square to he back of it, read my putt, address the ball and square the face to the line keeping the lead hand grip. I found that nothing else really mattered. 

22 putts today. Some of these were absolutely perfect putts. They arched to the hole and entered dead center and never wavered. The few putts that missed were from miss reads. In almost every case I shouldn’t decide if I was a 1 or 2 percent slope and opted for the lesser slope and it was more. Although I just had a tap in to clean it up. 

The guys were thinking I was putting well before, but now I feel like I am about to really cut loose. 

Had my first round with the new Link.1 today and I'm so glad they created this putter. I loved my DF 2.1 and never thought I'd change from it, but having that technology in a shape and size I've used my whole life is a game changer. I've never been one to miss on the heel or toe with a putter, but my big issue was the putter twisting and becoming open or closed at impact. That's absolutely been solved by LAB and hasn't happened once since I made the switch. But the big thing for me with this one is the improved feel. The Link with the upgraded ACCRA shaft is perfect. And it doesn't hurt that the putter fits in my bag a little better, haha.

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter: L.A.B. DF3 34"/67°
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

On 6/9/2023 at 4:51 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Okay as promised I have an update!

It is late so probably not as long as I had originally thought... but before here is a photo dump of the LAB Mezz.1 Max I got!

PXL_20230606_165545673.jpg PXL_20230606_165613730.jpg 

PXL_20230606_153941989.jpg  PXL_20230606_153932916.jpg

PXL_20230606_153836817.jpg  PXL_20230606_153817800.jpg

PXL_20230606_153744959.jpg  PXL_20230606_153901000.jpg

PXL_20230606_153735128.jpg  PXL_20230606_153827020.jpg 

Okay first impressions - Looks

I was torn between going with the bright orange and the brown cappuccino. I am really glad that this is the directions I ended up taking. Not that the Mezz.1 Max is big, but more that it just looks so clean. The shaping of the mezz also leads to it looking a little smaller in a lot of lighting situations which is kinda nice too. 

The headcover is an all time great. Truly, LAB absolutely nailed it with the headcover. 

I chose T line as well and am really happy with how it looks and turned out. 

The all black Accra shaft has a different feel to it (texture wise) however looks every bit the part. 

Grip! Its sweet, I really like it and the feel is soft, but tacky and the black white I think is fine. Not my favourite, but it does the job! 

Feel - If anyone is looking for a great feeling putter. Run now to whatever store has these and try it out. I love the feel of this. After using the White Hot Micro Hinge face which is often characterized as marshmellowy this is so much better. 

Now toe and heel strikes have a very very different feel and sound. Which is good, but they are not nearly as pleasant as the middle. 

The balance, weighting and stroke with this putter is going to take a bit of getting use to. I normally forward press when I putt and with this grip and how the putter sits after some practice strokes I realized this was not the method for this putter. It is going to take some practice and getting used to, but quick spoiler. My frustrations and misses from 6ish feet are gone. 

First Impressions on the course. 

I will start by saying i had everyone in my group asking about the putter as soon as I took the headcover off. I played with a range of golfers today from scratch to 35 hdcp and they were all very intrigued by it. 

(oh and with it being lie angle balanced my new favourite thing is twirling the club as it just spins and spins and spins). 

So full disclosure I did 3 putt the first hole. Not a great start, but also not the putters fault. It was a user error on the speed. I will note on the practice green I did struggle a lot more with longer putts ... just something I need to practice more getting speed and finding middle with longer lag putts. 

That was my last 3 putt for the round and I will have to check my scorecard, but had several 1 putts and a good amount of 2 putts. 

This thing in terms of non longer lag putts is about as automatic as you can get for hitting the line you want it to be on. The putts I missed were because I misread the green and didn't account for enough break. I also made a concerted effort to mark every putt and align the the marker so I had it where it should be. 

I made 1 tap in birdie putt and missed 4 others by less than a ball burning edges all day long. It was fun I have to admit and several of them it just came down to speed control. Which is fine, first round I really cant complain. 

Key Takeaways after round 1
- Feel on this putter is truly exceptional. A can't miss try it when you can. 
- Lie Angle Balance is the real deal (again after 1 round)
- Shorter putts feel automatic and longer putts are going to require some more training and practice.
- This thing looks so good. I will get more photos on course hopefully Monday as it looks that much better on the course and in sun light. 
- I had no aversion or really noticed the fact it was center shafted. Didn't cross my mind once. 

PXL_20230606_153811851.jpg

Nice!!!! I like the review and the pics of the putter even better.  It looks backwards,though, like it might be for a lefty or something strange like that……🫱🫱🫱🫱😉😉😉 Glad you love it.  When you get those reds down, the putts will fall like rain.

Just now, Caddie1966 said:

Nice!!!! I like the review and the pics of the putter even better.  It looks backwards,though, like it might be for a lefty or something strange like that……🫱🫱🫱🫱😉😉😉 Glad you love it.  When you get those reds down, the putts will fall like rain.

Should be get those reads down.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

21 hours ago, Josh Ross said:

Had my first round with the new Link.1 today and I'm so glad they created this putter. I loved my DF 2.1 and never thought I'd change from it, but having that technology in a shape and size I've used my whole life is a game changer. I've never been one to miss on the heel or toe with a putter, but my big issue was the putter twisting and becoming open or closed at impact. That's absolutely been solved by LAB and hasn't happened once since I made the switch. But the big thing for me with this one is the improved feel. The Link with the upgraded ACCRA shaft is perfect. And it doesn't hurt that the putter fits in my bag a little better, haha.

I have stated that if I were to have bought one, still a possibility some day, I would have gotten the LINK1. Although the 10 putts I made with one did not have great results. But once I found out my problem aiming the putter, it has been simply awesome. 

Don’t get me wrong, even when I was aiming wrong, I was making more putts than the others I played with. I had 47 putts this weekend. 22 Saturday and 25 Sunday. If LAB made a driver, I might sell a kidney or something for it. 

I solved my problem by simply making sure my the back of left hand square with the putter face. While I’m waiting for my turn to putt I read the green then when it’s my turn, I turn away from the line and grip with my left hand and hold the back of my hand to the sky and the putter face to the sky. I’m sure it looks strange and is not as necessary today as yesterday. After doing this on several holes and making the putts I was asked if I thought I was Babe Ruth pointing out my home run.  

I now know the shape of the Press II 3.0 grip made me want to hold it where the two were not square with each other. It felt really odd yesterday, but now it’s starting to feel normal. 

I read one of these posts that said to have a light grip pressure, so I was trying to just get it comfortable. I would square the putter face to the line but then close the face when I took my grip. By firmly gripping it with my lead hand first and then aiming it, I do not twist the face closed while aiming. 

I’m thrilled with this putter  

I managed to get some time to go back to the PGA Superstore to test things out placed this order this morning!
image.png.9c4e4a7570bbc532af03d9f2acf0c5f4.png

Anxiously awaiting the new putter and trying to not sit there and refresh my email constantly waiting for updates!

WITB:

1 hour ago, pozzit said:

May be a bit MIA on some course updates the next few weeks. Got to get a good indoor setup going since we just had our 2nd girl. IMG-20230611-WA0028.jpg.e59e5e9a35b7467b689cf8fbbff9f046.jpg

Unfortunately the LAB was in the wrong car so I couldn't hit putts down the hospital hallway. 

Awesome.  Congrats!

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

1 hour ago, pozzit said:

May be a bit MIA on some course updates the next few weeks. Got to get a good indoor setup going since we just had our 2nd girl. IMG-20230611-WA0028.jpg.e59e5e9a35b7467b689cf8fbbff9f046.jpg

Unfortunately the LAB was in the wrong car so I couldn't hit putts down the hospital hallway. 

Congratulations!