Testers Wanted: CaddyDaddy The Claw Golf Gloves ×

What Have You Built Recently?

3 minutes ago, DAKDAK said:

Hello all. I have been a master club builder for almost 40 years. (Been building for almost 50 years but took a while to become good). For many of you new to club building, this goes back to the days before metal woods so we had to whip woods to shafts. I have not been hitting my 3 wood well at the start of this golf season (NE Ohio) so cleaned up and regripped a Tommy Armour EQL. Hitting it almost as far as 3 wood but accuracy is substantially better. Also using Reid Lockhart 60 degree wedge that has 4 bounce angles for at least 15 years. Remains best wedge ever in my opinion. I use Avon Chamois OS Grips with 5 layers of tape under bottom hand.  

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

I haven’t seen Avon Chamois in a long time…used these for years growing up.  The grip was completely smooth after years of use and was still tacky!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

for those interested in swapping out ferrules I thought this was a great description of how to do it.
He doesn't use any fancy/expensive tools (i.e. belt sander) except for what he calls a "hotbox". I hadn't even heard of such a thing; I just boil some water on the stove and dunk the ferrules in a glass bowl. The water isn't hot enough to melt them but hot enough to soften them up.

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (6i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

35 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

for those interested in swapping out ferrules I thought this was a great description of how to do it.
He doesn't use any fancy/expensive tools (i.e. belt sander) except for what he calls a "hotbox". I hadn't even heard of such a thing; I just boil some water on the stove and dunk the ferrules in a glass bowl. The water isn't hot enough to melt them but hot enough to soften them up.

I always like his video's

Woods:  :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15* (set to 17*), Stealth 2, 22*, both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 4H, Xcaliber RTI75 S  

Irons: :Takomo: IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 Stand Bag / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

image.png

For anyone wanting to save major dollars, the first tool I would buy is a shaft puller. There is a fine line between the epoxy melt point and the bonding agents used to hold graphite shafts together. I have a B & D workmate that I keep in the garage for removing shafts and also for gripping clubs. My wife is bothered by the smell, especially from using a propane torch to release shafts. To keep discoloring to a minimum, I place aluminum foil over the hosel. This is paramount with many of the paints used on drivers and fairways woods as the paint will easily discolor.

1 hour ago, DAKDAK said:

For anyone wanting to save major dollars, the first tool I would buy is a shaft puller. There is a fine line between the epoxy melt point and the bonding agents used to hold graphite shafts together. I have a B & D workmate that I keep in the garage for removing shafts and also for gripping clubs. My wife is bothered by the smell, especially from using a propane torch to release shafts. To keep discoloring to a minimum, I place aluminum foil over the hosel. This is paramount with many of the paints used on drivers and fairways woods as the paint will easily discolor.

*if you are working with graphite shafts. you don't need one of these for steel shafts, but yes, without a doubt the only safe way to remove anything from graphite is with a shaft puller.

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (6i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I admit it, I have a problem... this poor bastard has more vinyl wrap than a civic at a Thursday night car meet in a Costco parking lot...

To answer your questions, no it doesn't seem to affect the roll of the ball, and yes the feel is almost the exact same.

It has a slightly more muted sound on soft putts, but anything more than 5ft it sounds and feels the same.

I dunno... I like it... 🫣

image.png.d8aa971e54b07f9206341319dfb6d4c1.png

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero & Epic Flash TaylorMade M5 Mizuno ST-190

3W: Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5º (2015)

5W: Adams Tight Lies 16º (2014) Adams Black Super Hybrid 17º / Adams Super Hybrid 19º

Irons: Adams CB1 4 - GW / Adams CMB 4 - GW / Adams CB2 5 - GW 

Hybrid: Adams V4 4 iron

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56º / Burke Golf TF01 60º 

Putter(s): Odyssey 2-Ball® / O-Works 2-Ball Fang Tank Ping Candence TR Tomcat C

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Burton29 said:

Here are a few of my favourite builds from the past few months. I have more but was having trouble uploading pictures. I'll try to add the others shortly. Including my own Broomstick builds. 

20240218_105251.jpg

20240227_214721.jpg

20240401_152244.jpg

20240504_144605.jpg

Those are all pretty…liking the ferrules!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

6 minutes ago, Burton29 said:

Since the last post gained some love. I figured I'd share some more of my recent builds! Enjoy! 

20240420_144845.jpg

20240323_144507.jpg

20240311_203302.jpg

20240311_203240.jpg

20240228_195301.jpg

20240218_105058.jpg

After looking at some of your builds, I have come to the conclusion that I am not a fan of super colourful, mismatching ferrules. 

Which is a surprise to me, because that's exactly what I though I would want if I built a set, I thought the idea of each iron having it's own unique ferrule would be a neat idea.

I do like the colourful ones, but only when they are all uniform, and I'm not a fan of how they look on shiny chrome shafts and heads.

The really colourful ones need to be on darker shafts/heads IMO.

I'm also not a fan of really tall ferrules, they kind of look clumsy, again IMO, and again something that surprised me as I thought I liked the tall colourful ones. 

I'm realizing that ferrules look WAY different off the clubs than how they look on the clubs.

Keep posting, I'm learning things about myself through your builds haha

5W: Adams Tight Lies 16º (2014) Adams Black Super Hybrid 17º / Adams Super Hybrid 19º

2 minutes ago, RaRa Golf said:

After looking at some of your builds, I have come to the conclusion that I am not a fan of super colourful, mismatching ferrules. 

Which is a surprise to me, because that's exactly what I though I would want if I built a set, I thought the idea of each iron having it's own unique ferrule would be a neat idea.

I do like the colourful ones, but only when they are all uniform, and I'm not a fan of how they look on shiny chrome shafts and heads.

I'm also not a fan of really tall ferrules, they kind of look clumsy, again IMO, and again something that surprised me as I thought I liked the tall colourful ones. 

I'm realizing that ferrules look WAY different off the clubs than how they look on the clubs.

I do not disagree with you. I also believe in uniform ferrules. With maybe the exception of having different ones for the wedges. I personally only have black on all mine haha. Although I do have some in stock that I'm thinking of firing on. But they have a black base with colored rings. 

Yes, I also agree the the taller ones are not my cup of tea either.

All of these are commissioned by customers. Many of them purchased the ferrules themselves and then bring them to me to install. It's what I love building clubs and making ferrules look sharp and polished!  

I appreciate the thoughts! I'm also glad that you're finding the pictures useful in helping you decide what you want for your own clubs!

I have an older co-worker who I golf with a lot.

He's got an older package set of Ram Accubar irons and G-Force woods.

2 seasons ago I sold him a set of RocketBladez irons, but he still has his old woods. 

I've had him hit some of my newer drivers, but he just really gets along with his Ram, and he's very, let's say, "quirky" with his clubs.

Example, he won't hit his 9 iron because he hit it badly a couple of times, and in his head he just can't hit that club now, hence the preference to his driver. 

The grips on his clubs were turning shiny and slippery, so I re-gripped his Dr, 3w, 5w and hybrid.

The paint on the woods was chipping really bad, and I had some paint lying around, so I touched up his Dr and Hybrid.

Not sure if I will do the 3w & 5w yet, but the 2 I did paint turned out pretty good. 

I just pained his Dr semi-gloss black and added a thin strip of carbon at to the front lip, and painted his Hybrid a metallic flake silver. 

They turned out nice, but I'm not putting too much effort, he refuses to use headcovers so these will probably be all banged up by the end of the season. 

This is the Hybrid before, I don't have a before pic of the Dr, but it looked pretty much the same:

image.png.6913917b198ce13153a0e9622fce4135.png

Driver:

image.png.c0c0c351b013935af3a2fd3f11b4fa8f.png

Hybrid:

image.png.0c4088b2b6f7be6bcdd112c340129ddc.png

New Grips:

image.png.030c471760686194bdf1e3c35fc4195e.png

For anyone who may have missed our Toura Build and Review Thread, I highly recommend checking out the work in the main posts for each of us.  It's been a blast so far trying to see who can do the best job of building a custom set of these irons.

7 minutes ago, ctg44 said:

For anyone who may have missed our Toura Build and Review Thread, I highly recommend checking out the work in the main posts for each of us.  It's been a blast so far trying to see who can do the best job of building a custom set of these irons.

I would second this!  Has been an awesome thread and the builds have been great!

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, ctg44 said:

Couldn’t agree more…some fantastic builds here!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

On 5/10/2024 at 9:37 AM, RaRa Golf said:

I agree here.  I was really looking forward to how my Albatross (red, white, and blue) ferrules would look on my Toura Build, but as soon as I saw the dark bluing that @azstu324 did with the black, white, and silver banded ferrules, I had a little "builder's remorse" in not going w/ something different....that has grown a little more as the clubs have started to get a little rusty as I'm not sure the pure raw finish goes with those:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/T6xHZoNYNaQrNVRC8...

However, we'll see how that goes long term.  One thing I know is that the regular, non-tour issue DG X100 shafts are NOT as consistently weighted as the Tour Issue versions.  If I decide the Toura Irons are staying in the bag permanently, I'll very likely do a pull and rebuild them with Tour Issue X100s I procure on my own.  I'm finding little inconsistencies in the distance gapping, even with the lofts and lies being perfectly set where they should be and ball speeds being where they should be on multiple launch monitors.  That might open up the rabbit hole of changing ferrules, buying MORE of the ZGRIP Plus2s to put on another set of shafts, etc. that might make my wife want to beat me with a golf club, but I'm sure I'd deserve it somewhat at that point...

53 minutes ago, ctg44 said:

I agree here.  I was really looking forward to how my Albatross (red, white, and blue) ferrules would look on my Toura Build, but as soon as I saw the dark bluing that @azstu324 did with the black, white, and silver banded ferrules, I had a little "builder's remorse" in not going w/ something different....that has grown a little more as the clubs have started to get a little rusty as I'm not sure the pure raw finish goes with those:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/T6xHZoNYNaQrNVRC8...

However, we'll see how that goes long term.  One thing I know is that the regular, non-tour issue DG X100 shafts are NOT as consistently weighted as the Tour Issue versions.  If I decide the Toura Irons are staying in the bag permanently, I'll very likely do a pull and rebuild them with Tour Issue X100s I procure on my own.  I'm finding little inconsistencies in the distance gapping, even with the lofts and lies being perfectly set where they should be and ball speeds being where they should be on multiple launch monitors.  That might open up the rabbit hole of changing ferrules, buying MORE of the ZGRIP Plus2s to put on another set of shafts, etc. that might make my wife want to beat me with a golf club, but I'm sure I'd deserve it somewhat at that point...

As I mentioned I think the coloured ferrules suite black shafted clubs more than chrome. 

A quick and dirty (and most importantly wife approved/cheap) method I use to change the look of existing clubs is to use vinyl wrap.

It's cheap, lightweight, removable, and if done right, looks awesome. I'm really big on thinking that you have to like the look of what you are playing with, but changing shafts, ferrules, grips on a whim just because of the looks is time consuming, and not cheap.

I'm hoping one day to have the time and money to play around building sets, play a few rounds, sell them off, wash, rinse, repeat.

For now, while I'm pinching pennies, the vinyl wrap is my go too.

I've wrapped all my putter shafts Black, I have my wedges wrapped in a light Blue colour, and I have my irons wrapped White, and the ferrules wrapped in the same Blue as my wedge shafts.

image.png.4e8079bc12aaee77b4718e211c157e50.png

On 5/23/2023 at 11:46 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Calling all club builders!

Lets see some of those recent builds and clubs you have been working on. Reshafting, regripping, new ferrules and whatever else club related that you have been been building lets see it and share some of the fun builds that are going on in the MGS Forum Community!

More photos from me to follow as I just finished what may be one of my favorite clubs to date ... and it isnt even for me 😞

IMG_0464.jpeg.07d75461d0b72080666da00420a84fd0.jpeg

IMG_0463.jpeg

IMG_0465.jpeg

IMG_0527.jpeg

IMG_0555.jpeg

IMG_0544.jpeg

Terry Bonilla

I’m not nearly as talented as all the club builders here, but I got tired of laying my clubs on the ground so I DIY’d a bag stand. 
IMG_6155.jpeg.24a58ca6bd8a496492ca681f943447a2.jpeg  IMG_6157.jpeg.da553f576d2388615a17342fd6e78c58.jpeg

MOST IMPORTANT- I used wood that’s been in my garage for years. Always told SheWhoMustBeObeyed I’d use it someday…

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

On 5/24/2024 at 1:39 PM, Josh Parker said:

20240524_123622.jpg.bada40da5a29e1b05c9c949a8003bd2c.jpg

Have you been able to take the DI out and test it?  What are your thoughts on the Kinetix shaft?

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

29 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Have you been able to take the DI out and test it?  What are your thoughts on the Kinetix shaft?

I have hit it at the range a few times. When I get the timing right, it flies a mile.  If timing is off, watch out. Haha. 

13 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I have hit it at the range a few times. When I get the timing right, it flies a mile.  If timing is off, watch out. Haha. 

I need to get my P790UDI bent upright a little bit, as it's a touch flat for me.  When I catch it clean, it's amazing.  When I don't, well, it's still better than the @(#* Titleist TS2 hybrid I had, so it'll stay in the bag either way...

32 minutes ago, ctg44 said:

I need to get my P790UDI bent upright a little bit, as it's a touch flat for me.  When I catch it clean, it's amazing.  When I don't, well, it's still better than the @(#* Titleist TS2 hybrid I had, so it'll stay in the bag either way...

I somehow need to convince my wife that I need one of these in the garage, though, to make this kind of stuff easier...

https://www.mitchellgolf.com/shop/loft-lie/angle-machines/irons/tourgauge-digital-irons-machine/

45 minutes ago, ctg44 said:

I somehow need to convince my wife that I need one of these in the garage, though, to make this kind of stuff easier...

https://www.mitchellgolf.com/shop/loft-lie/angle-machines/irons/tourgauge-digital-irons-machine/

For the $2500 price tag, good luck.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

1 hour ago, ctg44 said:

Better have some business lined up to justify it to the wife. Haha. My wife would say.... "how's it going to make me money?"

🤣

21 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Better have some business lined up to justify it to the wife. Haha. My wife would say.... "how's it going to make me money?"

🤣

Yeah, that's not likely to happen with me ALSO working 50+ hours a week at the main job and then 10+ hours a week reffing ice hockey games on the side, so if I want to get a loft and lie setup, it's gonna have to be an eBay special I'm afraid.

On 5/31/2024 at 5:55 PM, WaffleHouseTour said:

I’m not nearly as talented as all the club builders here, but I got tired of laying my clubs on the ground so I DIY’d a bag stand. 
IMG_6155.jpeg.24a58ca6bd8a496492ca681f943447a2.jpeg  IMG_6157.jpeg.da553f576d2388615a17342fd6e78c58.jpeg

MOST IMPORTANT- I used wood that’s been in my garage for years. Always told SheWhoMustBeObeyed I’d use it someday…

Nicely done!!!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

On 5/31/2024 at 5:55 PM, WaffleHouseTour said:

That turned out great!

57 minutes ago, ctg44 said:

Yeah, that's not likely to happen with me ALSO working 50+ hours a week at the main job and then 10+ hours a week reffing ice hockey games on the side, so if I want to get a loft and lie setup, it's gonna have to be an eBay special I'm afraid.

Yeah, or just go pay the few bucks to have them done.