unofficial: Srixon ZX7 / ZX5 combo Irons

Thin2win

21 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

a set of Cobra TRails for her

Was looking at those for my cuter golf partner last year but she felt wanted a set of clubs with traditional irons. Those are definitely on my radar, though, for sometime in my future.

Anyway enjoy your new magic sticks and hope they help restore confidence and improve your game!! 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

23 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Was looking at those for my cuter golf partner last year but she felt wanted a set of clubs with traditional irons. Those are definitely on my radar, though, for sometime in my future.

Anyway enjoy your new magic sticks and hope they help restore confidence and improve your game!! 👍

We went and played 9 last night for her to put them in play for the first time.  Those T Rails are amazing.  I've never seen her get the height and distance that she was with them.  She liked them better than the Taylormade and the Cleveland versions.  i think they are going to be great for her.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Added an order of Pure pro midsized neon yellow grips for these.

SmartSelect_20230618_224618_Firefox.jpg.9a1eeddcae2e97e76ed914a6a1f6f75b.jpg

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Going to be a fun review! Thanks for doing it. 

I have seen a lot of the previous version on the buy sell site here and been awfully tempting however haven't pulled the trigger.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Going to be a fun review! Thanks for doing it. 

I have seen a lot of the previous version on the buy sell site here and been awfully tempting however haven't pulled the trigger.

I'm pretty excited.  Between the MGS MW results and the hitting bay fireworks I'm expecting weekly hole-in-ones with Jim Nance voice overs.

WITB:

Thanks for doing this review - I’m fixated on these or edels to replace my D7 forgeds - they are turning 4 this fall and 3-5 years is my iron cycle as opposed to 3-5 months for driver, almost never for fairway woods, 10 years for putter and I try every years but have 12 year old SCORs in the bag.

I’m curious about the sole/turf interaction. I would probably go straight 5’s but will be anxious to hear your thoughts on the transition. I’m also wondering why there’s a 6 degree gap between the PW and AW in the straight 5’s - my gut would be to weaken one or strengthen the other in the preorder.

My initial question for you is why did you go S in the aero tech? Those play a flex stronger so it’s very stout.

Regardless enjoy- I’m going for an iron fitting July 5th - these are in the queue 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

55 minutes ago, revkev said:

Thanks for doing this review - I’m fixated on these or edels to replace my D7 forgeds - they are turning 4 this fall and 3-5 years is my iron cycle as opposed to 3-5 months for driver, almost never for fairway woods, 10 years for putter and I try every years but have 12 year old SCORs in the bag.

I’m curious about the sole/turf interaction. I would probably go straight 5’s but will be anxious to hear your thoughts on the transition. I’m also wondering why there’s a 6 degree gap between the PW and AW in the straight 5’s - my gut would be to weaken one or strengthen the other in the preorder.

My initial question for you is why did you go S in the aero tech? Those play a flex stronger so it’s very stout.

Regardless enjoy- I’m going for an iron fitting July 5th - these are in the queue 

If you play in neutral or soft conditions you should love the sole. I tried a 565 two years ago and loved it. These are also on the docket for me when my irons crap out but I am going to need multiple clubs to have a cracked face or something to continue my spouse I need new clubs. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

10 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

If you play in neutral or soft conditions you should love the sole. I tried a 565 two years ago and loved it. These are also on the docket for me when my irons crap out but I am going to need multiple clubs to have a cracked face or something to continue my spouse I need new clubs. 

My cousin, Frankie, who lives in Arizona who could come up and take care of cracking those faces for you - after he gets out of prison. 🙂 Living in Florida I normally play in wet conditions - we've had, emphasis on had as of today, exceptionally dry conditions this spring but dry for us is wet elsewhere - I thought we were getting lots of roll out until I played in Indiana last month.  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 6/18/2023 at 8:10 AM, Thin2win said:

@Thin2winIt turns out Srixon was running a fathers day special open to all forum members and all humans world wide

I tried to sell my wife on that exact sell but she wasn’t buying it! 😂 Well played my friend. 

I played with a fella the other day that had a set of the ZX7’s and I think he nearly drove every green with his 5i so I think you will have plenty of opportunities for hole in ones with that combo set. He let me swing a one of his 7i and the weighting felt amazing. I really liked how they moved the tungsten out to the toe and it felt like it gave you just enough closing power to smash it to oblivion. 

Scott Hanson

You guys are killing me - 

I know this is going to be a dangerous comment - I've been fit for irons a number of times so there is not likely to be any surprises.  I'm wondering if it's really worth the $150 to go for an iron fitting which is just an excuse to try Edels and these side by side.  As appealing as the combo might be I believe my ZX 7 days are behind me.  I can always look, long, lust and think that I should have gone with them whenever I pull a short iron - I do that all the time with the D7 forged irons - the reality is that Players/Distance irons are built for players like me and I hit them well.  

Right now I can get straight ZX 5ii's with the customization that I want for 1,100 - throw in a couple of trade in clubs and it's down to $800 which is in the report not ask category for weekly family budget meetings at this moment in time  (Got to love Social Security retirement while still working) - I don't know if that arrangement will be in place in July nor do I know if I can get the Srixon's at that price - they may become and ask and I know what that answer will be.

I'm completely torn on this.  I came close to hitting the buy button last night so to have this thread pop up first think is maddening.  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Congratulations!  When you get them, come on down!  Or maybe we need to come for a visit.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:10 AM, Thin2win said:

It turns out Srixon was running a fathers day special open to all forum members and all humans world wide( maybe not lefties). I was able to pay full retail price and will now be waiting 2-3 weeks for delivery.

This reminds me of Martha's oldest brother who was a platinum Hyundai salesman (after his police force days).  Her two other brothers got the "family discount" which was MSRP +15%.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 6/19/2023 at 12:47 AM, Thin2win said:

You must wear sunglasses when you play. 😁

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

14 hours ago, revkev said:

I thought i was just going to go straight 5s. I was crushing them. Legitimate club further than the D7 Forged I'm still gaming.  They felt good,  and the performance was $.

But they had the 7s, and size wise,  the 7 isn't much different...  i think it's the biggest club in its category. So i hit the 7, and my soul melted.  7i was 3y shorter than the 5s but 1k more back spin and higher launch.  

I know people say that Mizuno has the feels.  And I've hit Mizuno trying to see what the commotion is about and I've never really felt it.  But the 7s... 8 days since i last hit then and i can stop thinking about them.

WITB:

13 hours ago, revkev said:

You guys are killing me - 

I know this is going to be a dangerous comment - I've been fit for irons a number of times so there is not likely to be any surprises.  I'm wondering if it's really worth the $150 to go for an iron fitting which is just an excuse to try Edels and these side by side.  As appealing as the combo might be I believe my ZX 7 days are behind me.  I can always look, long, lust and think that I should have gone with them whenever I pull a short iron - I do that all the time with the D7 forged irons - the reality is that Players/Distance irons are built for players like me and I hit them well.  

Right now I can get straight ZX 5ii's with the customization that I want for 1,100 - throw in a couple of trade in clubs and it's down to $800 which is in the report not ask category for weekly family budget meetings at this moment in time  (Got to love Social Security retirement while still working) - I don't know if that arrangement will be in place in July nor do I know if I can get the Srixon's at that price - they may become and ask and I know what that answer will be.

I'm completely torn on this.  I came close to hitting the buy button last night so to have this thread pop up first think is maddening.  

We are not getting younger, the 5'S probably have a longer life cycle. I made the same decision between the Titlist T200 and 300 this year and went with the 300  out of practicality.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

Nice thing about the local golf shop here is they have a 30 day 100% return policy.  So if i decide that the 7s are "one hit"ting bay wonders then i can turn them in for all 5s.

@revkev also,  you asked about the i95 in stiff,  and i was wrong. I went to look at the Srixon website, and it turns out i was hitting the fc90cw steelfibers in stiff. I should have paid more attention, but i kinda blacked out after the first swing and only vaguely remember handing over my credit card while the euphoria slowly wore off.

WITB:

On 6/19/2023 at 1:47 AM, Thin2win said:

Never played these. What are they comparable to?

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

9 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

Never played these. What are they comparable to?

iomic sticky, are what i think are the closest. They are just a better version of the GP tour velvet or Lamkin Crossline. Tackier, while softer and still plenty firm for control.

WITB:

So what’s with the 6 degree gap between the PW and GW

in the x5’s? I’m thinking I’d customize it to 5 or skip the GW altogether. Any experience with it?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

6 hours ago, revkev said:

So what’s with the 6 degree gap between the PW and GW

in the x5’s? I’m thinking I’d customize it to 5 or skip the GW altogether. Any experience with it?

I'll see how they gap when i get them.  But guessing I'll need to make some adjustments. 

WITB:

Turns out the yellow is definitely visable from most interstellar objects.

20230624_083046.jpg.2a5fb714c8ebd53f2d54f49d5a630703.jpg

Now need the clubs to arrive.

WITB:

So,  2-3 weeks for delivery actually means 6 days.  20230624_175721.jpg.1133ec198f1cbf1fbf401864b2e367b2.jpg20230624_175932.jpg.58936e06527f9ece3dcbbd65009a7d06.jpg

WITB:

Grips on20230624_211405.jpg.3487eb486a4e6c662e7f74a4a25bae83.jpg20230624_211411.jpg.509c84b6842c098c5b08f72fcee4a73a.jpg

And,  @revkev i was right the first time i95 in stiff.

WITB:

1 hour ago, MacTourney said:

The grips look good and now you're all set to play in a fog.  They look nice and tacky too, more tack = more smack.

I was telling my neighbor that these qualify as a safety device now. i can use them to help guide a plane into position,  as a backup emergency flare if i breakdown on the way to the course.  I should never leave one greenside, that's for sure.

WITB:

Did an initial gaping session for my first swings with these. I'll do this again tomorrow and maybe once more before I make and changes. but initial thoughts are 7i is weak, 8i is strong.  Will see what tomorrow brings. I did 20 shots before starting this to be pretty warmed up, and I started with the PW and worked up. Tomorrow, I'll start 5i and work down to see what that looks like.

Also, the 9i was 3 shots, all within 1y of center all within 3y of each other, it was silly.

initialzxirongap.png.e958a8b0ff80c12bd8603627dec69c41.png

WITB:

Updated WITB pictures. 20230625_114735.jpg.1625eed0c73a457d1f6b556b286da877.jpg20230625_114844.jpg.36f850121922ae1b8009fd35faf6b0a0.jpg20230625_114837.jpg.667143d1f9c42482aa5036bbc60e96f1.jpg

WITB:

So, another gaping session today, definitely an issue between 8i and 9i. Didn't hit the 5i as well today, started with my 7w and worked down. Turns out my 7w and 4i utility are about the same, don't need to carry both of those.

Before gap test, I warmed up with my 7i, here are the last 5 shots with it. The consistency of these ZX7s is just crazy. The furthest from center was my last strike, at 8.8L. the other 4 were all within 3.5y of center. So fun to hit.

Screenshot2023-06-26105842.png.3e5487af2a3d16129a36297785f74492.png

Gaping Session #2

Screenshot2023-06-26113503.png.b05d27fbf8de10cfd2279dd3c5d7bfb6.png

What do you more apt club fitters think on the PW-7i gaps?  9i .5° strong, 8i 1° weak?

WITB:

Very nice

Let me ask do your start the MK 5's at the 6?  

Also is there anyone checking in here who has considered doing this with the MK 5's and the MK 4's?  I keep reading and seeing how the 4's are the marked improvements in this iteration - As I age I struggle with launching it high enough as well as with distance.  I'm thinking I may be better off in a 4/5 combo or even a 4/7 combo - I was thinking that I might go 2 7 irons if I were to do that.  The MK 4 6 and 7 would play as my 5 and 6 in that scenario.  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

4 minutes ago, revkev said:

Very nice

Let me ask do your start the MK 5's at the 6?  

Also is there anyone checking in here who has considered doing this with the MK 5's and the MK 4's?  I keep reading and seeing how the 4's are the marked improvements in this iteration - As I age I struggle with launching it high enough as well as with distance.  I'm thinking I may be better off in a 4/5 combo or even a 4/7 combo - I was thinking that I might go 2 7 irons if I were to do that.  The MK 4 6 and 7 would play as my 5 and 6 in that scenario.  

Yeah,  mkii zx7 goes pw-7. Zx5 is the 6i/5i .

I know the zx5s are really good,  but i think the 7s might be better.  They are just as forgiving and so smooth.

WITB: