Testers Wanted: Vice Golf Irons ×
Site Maintenance - June 17 6pm EST to 6am EST (Planned) ×
Site Maintenance - June 17 6pm EST to 6am EST (Planned)

MacGregor MT86 Irons - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow our testers main posts in the links below!

MacGregor MT86 Pro Testers
@DiscipleofPenickTESTING POST
@wely324TESTING POST

MacGregor MT86 OS Testers
@Hook DeLoftTESTING POST
@DoubleBogeyDadTESTING POST

@GolfSpy TCB: TESTING POST (*Forum Staff Tester)

@ZJeb67 - Re-Test Opportunity Post

Congrats @ZJeb67!

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 4:32 AM, ZJeb67 said:

Hi All,  Thanks MGS! Huge thanks to @Hook DeLoft for putting these back out to test and for getting them shipped to me. Thrilled to be selected as a re-tester. I mean, it's not a red ryder BB gun, but definitely more appropriate for my age group. I'm going to throw some movie quotes in the intro if anyone wants to pick that up.

Haven't golfed much since learning as an adult, but now the kids are grown and mostly off the payroll. I've really got hooked this year, and even bought a launch monitor for the patio sim. I'm at at 25 handicap playing with a Costco Callaway Edge set, Kirkland wedges, Costco bag, Kirkland glove, and Kirkland balls. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.  The question is, can I hit clubs not sold at my local wholesale warehouse?

Disclaimer: I am not a paid Costco shill, but I am a part owner.  At least 0.000000011% of the company, so I got that goin’ for me, which is nice.

As I test these, I really want to see if I'm more accurate and if I get any extra distance. All the while remembering not to think of it as work. The whole point is just to enjoy yourself. To get more than the budget golfer hacker point of view, I've enlisted my brother in law (low handicap) and nephew (all around athlete) to try the irons as well. For a visual, imagine the some of the Fantasic Four.  Bro-law - Mr. Fantastic, Nephew - Human Torch, me - The Thing (not the most graceful on the course, but improving). A man's got to know his limitations. 

More to come in the following weeks. Light snow coming down today in South East Michigan. The heated driving range will be welcome.  Hasta la vista!

Update on the First day of Winter
Received the clubs on Tuesday (expected them on Monday, C’mon USPS!)  Immediately got them out on the patio sim for 18 holes of only iron shots.
20231219_162634.jpg.d96018895900ecfd33f1771850c5e89b.jpg

Playing the 18 with a 5 iron being the longest club gave me a lot of practice.

Mac5Iron.jpg.39d3241751e85e6f55bb39d54d340595.jpg

Today I was able to get out for a quick 9 (or 14) at my local course.  It took a little time to get used to playing off somewhat soggy ground as I’m used to practicing off the mat. 

The irons have not disappointed and I hit the green on both short par 3’s (and birdied neither)

20231222_152434.jpg.c7bb3c01c66fef68a5c037e78b45c18f.jpg

I’m still getting used to hitting the irons and winter golf in Michigan isn’t quite ideal conditions.  Next step will be the heated bays at the local driving range.  I’ll be using the SC4 launch monitor to get Science!

Update:
December 28th, high 40s, lots of rain

Local driving range with heated bays is closed between the holidays!  C'mon man!

Luckily Carl's Golfland is within 15 miles.  Despite the cool temps and driving rain, their range was packed.
Got the Bro law, nephew and myself out hitting on the range with the SC4 Launch monitor.

Nephew was absolutely crushing the 6 iron.  Ah, to be young again.
Bro Law had his usual smooth, consistent and television worthy swing.
I couldn't match the distances, but continue to hit them longer than any previous 6 iron.

CarlsData.jpg.9f59e990e188d8d41c700b878d0bab0d.jpg

Update:

December 29th, 41 degrees and overcast. Soggy course from all day rain on the 28th. 

Out to the course for a quick 9 before celebrating the 33rd wedding anniversary (no time off for good behavior)

Still hitting the  Macgregor irons longer than my usual Callaway Edge irons despite the standing water in the course.  Even a soggy day on the course is a good day

20231229_111741.jpg

20231229_111749.jpg

Update 30Dec2023

Got out again for 9 (OK, I played 14 holes as the course was near empty)

36 degrees, overcast, golf grounds mostly swamp like, but I'm determined to keep playing until snow or she who must be obeyed puts a kibosh on the season. 

Hit the 5 iron to the front of the Donald Ross designed par 4 15th hole in regulation. 

Then followed with the 5 iron on the green at the par 3 16th. 

Really starting to get a good feel for the irons despite layers of t-shirt, heated vest, hoodie, and wind proof outer shell.  Had the armpit vents open halfway, but after walking 14 holes, full venting might have been the more judicious option. #Steamed

20231230_112700.jpg

Update 8Jan2024  It's a new year and the MacGregor Irons are getting a lot of work on the backyard sim.  36 holes on Sunday and another 36 tonight.  33 degrees, big winter storm coming, this might be the last backyard sim round for a bit.  Bought right hand Kirkland gloves just to go along with the left glove to keep the fingers as nimble as possible at almost freezing.

Hit the 7 Iron to 2 feet on the 17th handicap par 3, 3rd hole for a birdie.

If the snow decides to be rain instead, my next quest is to play one par 3 hole exclusively and take some chances on a hole in one.

The (winter re-test) Review - 8Jan2024

MacGregor MT-86 OS Irons (5-PW) – Official MGS Forum Review by ZJeb67

First Impressions  (20 out of 20)

Sleek! Shiny! Throwback look!  Arrived just before Christmas and while not ideal for outdoor play in Michigan, couldn't have been more excited to try them out.

Aesthetics (10 out of 10) 

Per MacGregor:
“We were clear that we wanted to respect and honor the aesthetics and clean lines of the original”
“explosive impact for penetrating shots”
“The head is filled with a proprietary polymer which gives that buttery soft feel you know and love, while also improving acoustics for a satisfying sound.”

I agree the clubs are quite eye pleasing.  While there weren’t many other Michigan golfers out in late December, I am looking forward to my league this year and telling the MGS story.  The bro-law was quite impressed with the look similar to the clubs of yore.

I don’t know about explosive impact, but I do hit them farther than my previous irons and that is huge for me and my game.

It was hard to listen for acoustics when the ambient temp for my testing was low 30s to mid 40s and hats were in play.

cousin-eddies-snow-trapper-hat.jpg.392470222b1dfbb9a1f6163cc47df135.jpg

The Numbers (10 out of 10)

I found the irons to be accurate with better distance than I’m usually hit.
I played 3 outdoor 9+ holes rounds on a local course in cold, wet and soggy conditions.

I’m planning on getting to a warm weather location this winter to try the clubs in a warm and inviting locale. 

I got 18 rounds of 18 holes on the sim at Aviara in Carlsbad, CA.

Am I a good enough golfer to shape shots with these irons or any other?  No, not yet, but hope springs eternal.

On-Course (18 out of 20)

I’ve used these clubs on my league course and scored better in December than all my league summer scores. 

My 9 hole average was 3 strokes better than my best league month.
Is the added distance due to the ½” longer shafts?  Maybe, all I know is I get longer distance, and the same accuracy as my previous irons.

The Good, the bad, the in-between (17 out of 20)

By far, the best for me is increased distance of 5-12 yards per club and equal accuracy. The distance was great on the soggy December course where any shot had 0 roll out. The Lamkin grips were great in the cold temps. I expect they'll be just as great in the warm summer months.

Play it or Trade it? (17 out of 20)

I am absolutely playing these clubs and that’s big for someone who is all Costco all the time. I do consider myself a budget golfer so the price is a bit more than I like.  However, my Scrooge like frugality frequently leads to a false economy of worse play due to lesser clubs.  (There’s probably a lesson I could learn there. . .)

I do plan on going for a professional fitting at some point in 2024 to see what ideal irons would be and how they compare to the MacGregors.

Conclusion

Can't thank MGS and @Hook DeLoft for the re-test opportunity.  Wouldn't have believed it if someone would have told me I'd get in almost 20 rounds of golf the first 3 weeks of winter.  Between the irons and all the practice my handicap has gone from 25 to 17.5 (maybe there's something to this practice stuff they speak of)

Final Score (92 out of 100)

download.jpg.18c9025a3fb61b991735937fe112c8a0.jpg

7Iron.jpg

Good review!  I'm really glad you're liking them.  Give us an update in the spring after the weather improves.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

• 1 month later...

Got out for a more than 9, less than 18 round before the Super Bowl.  
Tried for Saturday but the weather was great and the course was packed.
Sunday at noon was mid 30s and cloudy.  Four other golfers braving the elements and the soggy course.
The MacGregors did not disappoint.  I am looking forward to playing with them on a dry course with the temps above 60

Screenshot_20240211_141002_Weather1.jpg.35329acb2032549fc2d8f5d91207d65b.jpg

20240211_1409511.jpg.8ecdff43368694fb13bdc19cd68ef176.jpg

Driver/3H :callaway-small: Mavrik 22
5H/SW: :callaway-small:Edge 
5-PW: :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56/60: Kirkland Signature 
Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

• 3 months later...

So after a little struggle with the MT-86, I put my Titleist 714 CBs back in the bag. And what a difference it makes. I was hitting lasers right away, and have played two very solid rounds, including one where I hit more greens than I had in months going back to last season. I may not be playing enough to justify the CBs being in the bag, but I definitely need the X shafts in those irons. I ordered stiff in the Macs, which I guess was a bit of a mistake. The CBs are staying in the bag for now, but they are going on 11 years old and I'll probably look for a new(er) set in the offseason.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star