Testers Wanted: CaddyDaddy The Claw Golf Gloves ×

JPX 923 Irons Model Comparison

Urrrshurrr

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently getting back into the game after ~5 years away from it. 
I played a couple times per season in those years away, but it was a far cry from the ~110 rounds I played in the year prior to getting too busy to play regularly.

I currently have ~12 year old equipment and am looking to upgrade but am having a hard time deciding on which model to go for.
I'd like to try to the JPX 923 series, but am not sure on how each model compares to the others in terms of forgiveness.

I used to shoot high 80's to mid-90's regularly, but since starting back up I'm having a hard time breaking 100. 
I plan to put in the effort and practice to get my game back (currently installing a net with a launch monitor in my back yard), but I'm not sure if I should be looking at the 923 HM, 923 HM Pro's or the 923 Forged.

Although I'm aware that I need a forgiving iron set, I'm worried about the thicker top lines messing with my head when addressing the ball.  
How much less forgiving would the HM Forged set be when compared to the regular HM?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated!

• Ping G430 Max Driver
  • Takomo 101U #2 Driving Iron
  • Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Irons (5-GW)
  • Taylormade TP XFT Wedges (50, 54, 58)
  • Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 Putter

I have the HMP's and could have gone with the HM's.

I would have a serious look at the HM HL or the HM's.

This a good video from Chris Voshall from Mizuno about the HM HL, HM and HMP.

One thought, I don't know why people get so hung up on top line. It's not like they're 1" thick.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

15 hours ago, Urrrshurrr said:

Although I'm aware that I need a forgiving iron set, I'm worried about the thicker top lines messing with my head when addressing the ball.  
How much less forgiving would the HM Forged set be when compared to the regular HM?

What does forgiving mean to you and what kind of forgiveness are you looking for?   Forgiving is generally associated with loss of ball speed on off center hits.  It does not address or help prevent fat or thin shots or correct major slices/hooks. IMO, choosing a club simply based on its forgiveness profile isnt the best way.  You need to go hit the clubs and see how they perform in you hands and not worry about how they look but how they perform.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, MattF said:

I have the HMP's and could have gone with the HM's.

I would have a serious look at the HM HL or the HM's.

This a good video from Chris Voshall from Mizuno about the HM HL, HM and HMP.

One thought, I don't know why people get so hung up on top line. It's not like they're 1" thick.

I still think about top line and offset.  It’s just seems harder to aim for me if it’s too out of whack.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x (MGS Tester ‘24) / GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

Thanks everyone.  I watched the posted video and I've watched numerous other review videos online as well.  Unfortunately it's a bit of a hike for me to get somewhere to test a bunch of irons out in a simulator.

I should have been more specific when mentioning why I thought I needed irons with forgiveness.  Since I'm getting back into the game after a hiatus, my ball striking isn't as it used to be.  I still have plenty of speed and don't require any further distance, I'm just looking for something that will be less off-line when it's not struck right in the center of the clubface.  (Not concerned with trying to save shots massively out on the heel or toe, I know that's a lost cause and I don't deal with too many of those.)

If that's not what the game improvement irons really help, perhaps I'm looking at the wrong type of clubs.

As an example, I played a round last week with a friend and tried out the Taylormade M4 irons that he uses.  Although my shots with his clubs were decent, every single shot was producing a draw. (Not a full hook, but more of a draw then I would like to play all of the time.)  So I'm guessing that irons like that have too much offset for my swing?

I think I'll see the most improvement to my swing once I get some consistent practice back in and can keep my swing path straighter every time.

• Ping G430 Max Driver

6 minutes ago, Urrrshurrr said:

Thanks everyone.  I watched the posted video and I've watched numerous other review videos online as well.  Unfortunately it's a bit of a hike for me to get somewhere to test a bunch of irons out in a simulator.

I should have been more specific when mentioning why I thought I needed irons with forgiveness.  Since I'm getting back into the game after a hiatus, my ball striking isn't as it used to be.  I still have plenty of speed and don't require any further distance, I'm just looking for something that will be less off-line when it's not struck right in the center of the clubface.  (Not concerned with trying to save shots massively out on the heel or toe, I know that's a lost cause and I don't deal with too many of those.)

If that's not what the game improvement irons really help, perhaps I'm looking at the wrong type of clubs.

As an example, I played a round last week with a friend and tried out the Taylormade M4 irons that he uses.  Although my shots with his clubs were decent, every single shot was producing a draw. (Not a full hook, but more of a draw then I would like to play all of the time.)  So I'm guessing that irons like that have too much offset for my swing?

I think I'll see the most improvement to my swing once I get some consistent practice back in and can keep my swing path straighter every time.

Again,  as people we respond to what we see and feel when a club is in our hands.   Ball direction is a factor of both club path and face angle not necessarily the type of,club.   I can still hit a 50 yard slice with an SGI iron.  When I test clubs, I feel like I hit players/players distance clubs better and straighter than GI models.   If you’re not going to hit the clubs, what you randomly pick will be just as good as what someone else hits and gets forgiveness from…..basically It may or may not work for you. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Here you go…

IMG_2791.jpeg

IMG_2792.jpeg

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

On 7/10/2023 at 5:17 PM, Urrrshurrr said:

Hi Everyone,

I played a couple times per season in those years away, but it was a far cry from the ~110 rounds I played in the year prior to getting too busy to play regularly.

I currently have ~12 year old equipment and am looking to upgrade but am having a hard time deciding on which model to go for.
I'd like to try to the JPX 923 series, but am not sure on how each model compares to the others in terms of forgiveness.

I used to shoot high 80's to mid-90's regularly, but since starting back up I'm having a hard time breaking 100. 
I plan to put in the effort and practice to get my game back (currently installing a net with a launch monitor in my back yard), but I'm not sure if I should be looking at the 923 HM, 923 HM Pro's or the 923 Forged.

I’m an 11 hdcp and was playing 14 yo Ping G15s.  I tried many many different clubs then recently went through a fitting process.  I was thinking P-D clubs but the only one I hit consistently well was the Titliest T200.  In the end after hitting everything under the sun over multiple days with my fitter, it came down to the Callaway ST Rogue Max and JPX923 HM. Both had the same carry but the 923s hands down had better spin.  I just didn’t perform as well with the pros, and it wasnt even debatable. 

I can’t answer how much less forgiving the pros would be, but I don’t really see the top line being that much thinner.  But to get a better gauge, the shaft you choose will make all the diff in the world.  I’ve got recoil ESX 460 F3.  I received my HMs a couple weeks ago and am amazed at the spin and high trajectory I’m getting, and the higher trajectory contributes to longer carry.  

I don’t mean any disrespect, but if you are having trouble breaking 100, your issues are way more than the visual of the top line.   You might be better served first by taking a couple lessons and getting some swing issues fixed.  You might get some immediate and significant improvement which would then get you in a better position to do the club search. Maybe find a fitter that also gives lessons.  That’s what I ended up doing and I think it gave the fitter a better understanding of my swing and tendencies.  

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

I have a set of the JPX Hot Metal HL irons.  They work well for me because I need help launching the ball.  A high speed player or someone who already hits the ball high might find that they launch too high and balloon.  My club head speed with a 7 iron on a launch monitor averages 78 mph.  Not having access to a shop with a launch monitor and the irons you want to test can be a real conundrum.  You might consider a DTC iron from a company that offers demo irons, such as Sub 70.  By the way, I am currently testing the new MacGregor MT86 OS irons for My Golf Spy and find them and the Mizunos to be very forgiving on off center hits.  The Mizunos perform better on thin strikes but that may not be true of the other Hot Metal models.  Also, both Sub 70 and MacGregor offer hollow body irons with less offset that should be pretty forgiving.

Edited by Hook DeLoft
correction

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Thanks for the suggestions!  As far as lessons go,  I would definitely be up for that.  (I did take some lessons years ago, but perhaps the refresher would help.)  

I definitely don't need any help getting the ball in the air, so I likely wouldn't want the HL model.  And I did just look into some of the DTC companies.  Takomo irons look pretty decent for the price and some of the reviews have been excellent.

Being that I used to be a mid-80s scoring player, I think I'll spend a bit of time working on getting my old swing back before making any decisions.  Although that swing was many years and many pounds ago when I was in much better shape! Haha

• Ping G430 Max Driver

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a set of Hot Metals with the Hi Fli hybrids to replace the 4&5 irons. The irons are good, but I don’t like the hybrids. The ball flight is much lower than my old 4&5 irons.  I will be trading them soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 4:17 PM, Urrrshurrr said:

Hi Everyone,

I know it is Obvious to go hit them to compare but please do! I got fitted for the hmp and was shocked.  They dropped my spin down which made my bag gapping yardages more ideal. And I was coming from a players type iron and the topline gets ignored the more you play them.  If anything it gives me more confidence that I can hit a great shot with a mishit.  

WITB