Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Walking vs Riding

I prefer walking but some courses are not conducive due to huge distances between holes. I will also ride if it is really hot and humid. I live near Cincinnati and the summers can get nasty.

• Driver - Callaway Paradym X 10.5 - Project X HZRDS Gen 4 50
  • 3 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 16.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • 5 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 18.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite
  • Wedges - Srixon ZX7 51-8 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite; Titleist Vokey 56-12 & 60-08 - Project X 6.0
  • Putter - Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
  • Golf Ball - 2023 Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash

I'm definitely a walker, health permitting of course.  As a former caddy, I think walking is part of the game and the walk between shots allows me to mentally calm myself and prepare for the next shot.  Nothing frustrates me more than taking a few clubs to hit a shot where you can't take the cart only to find out I don't have what I need.  Now that I'm in my 60's I have taken to using a pushcart to take stress off my back.  When I'm at a resort course or a mountain course where everyone is riding then I do take a cart.

I have a push cart with an Alphard V2 electric motor in it. I walk but only play on the morning. When the temp gets over 90, I have problems. (I have experienced two major heat episodes, so north Texas heat is very tough on me.). I play better when I walk and enjoy the game more. 

49 year old with arthritic knees ( surgeon has told me to last out until I'm 55 for the replacement knee).  Used to carry my bag and prefer it but now have bought my own petrol cart.  Have bought an ultralight bag to walk a quick 9 when the knees feel ok on advise from the physio and surgeon.  So here's to doing a bit of walking every now and again

Taylormade 2016 M2 HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5

Callaway X Forged UI 18deg Xstiff

Titleist 718 AP1 4-PW, 48 deg D200 Stiff 2 Deg Upright

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2017

Walk if you can, drive if you must (and sometimes you must) - but either way, please play ready golf!

Driver -  Titleist TSR3, 8 degrees

5 Wood - Titleist TSR2, 18 degrees

Hybrid -    Titleist 910H, 18 degrees

Irons 3-5  :wilson_staff_small:  C300 forged 

Irons 6-PW  :wilson_staff_small:  FG Tour V6

52, 58 degree Mizuno T22 Denim Copper finish

Putter - Evenroll ER5 35"

Preferred ball:  Maxfli Tour

I would prefer to walk but my feet are so destroyed that I have to ride to play 18. Otherwise I’m Tiger by the 9th hole limping around. 

Hdcp: a lot (25ish according to 18Birdies)

WITB

Dr: TSi3

5w: Sim2 Max

Irons (5-48 degree): Maltby KE4 Max

Wedges: CBX Zipcore

Putter: EVNRoll ER1

Ball: Kirkland V3 

Often conflicted on this issue - as a walker, I am often incredibly frustrated by the damage carts do to the course. However - I appreciate that some are unable to walk, and I don't for a moment want to take the wonderful game away from anyone.

Echo the sentiments about ready golf - I'm amazed by the slowness of some cartners'.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Driver 9, Oban Devotion 45-03 | Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3 + 5 Wood, Oban Revenge 65-03 | Mizuno HiFli 16.5 2 Iron | Titleist T200 4-GW Irons, KBS Tour 110 R | Titleist Vokey Design SM9 Chrome SW & LW (54/12D, 60/12D) | Odyssey Versa Seven Putter  Titleist Pro V1x | Srixon Tour Staff Bag The Open Staff Bag 2022 | Clicgear Model 4.0 Buggy | Bushnell Tour V6 Shift Rangefinder | Golf Pride MCC ALIGN (Standard) Grips |

This past weekend tested my resolve to walk. I played with 2 other golfers who were good and played quickly (we all do) and it was about 95 degrees here in Middle TN. So I did feel a tad rushed and by hole 15 I was zapped. I was even going into 16 and finished 2 over for the last 3 holes. The good news was we played 18 in a hair under 3 hours but the bad news was I fell asleep immediately upon getting home.

I think walking in a foursome on a packed golf course is fine but in this weekend's round I was basically jogging at many points during the round since there was no one ahead of us. I still don't LOVE playing out of a cart and I always feel a little disconnected from the golf round but I think I would have shot better out of a cart. I'll never know. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 11:46 AM, Dibb said:

I'd like to get people's opinions on walking vs riding. This is obviously a broad topic, considering there are a lot of factors like weather, walking ability, etc. Just wanted to see everyone's take on it. I play with a Saturday group where i would say 80% of the people walk with a push cart, and I think most of them do it for exercise given their age and life style outside the course. But being a younger member of the group and living in South Texas, I don't find it enjoyable to walk in 100* weather especially if I'm carrying my bag. All thoughts are much appreciated!

Really depending on the course for me. Playing alot of par 3s cause ive been working on my iron game cause my driver is almost a hopeless cause. I have a few friends that will walk with a little convincing, but i have a guy or 2 that if you mention anymore than walking to the tee box they arent coming(including days of cart path only). A few courses i really enjoy walking the 18. A long par 5 i prefer to use carts, just to keep course play faster especially with playing with people that are not even decent golfers, but usually those are just about the group being fun and having fun. More competitive matches i like to walk cause the group stays tighter and we can take it easy with the stress of the competition eased up on cause not everyone is scattered around the course. So its basically all about the atmosphere.

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse.