Wood or plastic tees?

I use plastic castle tees as they last longer, and means I get a more reliable tee height. I am terrible at trying to gauge the correct height for setting my tee.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

I have been playing wood for the last couple years.  I prefer the look and the western birch tees have stripes so you can get them at the same height every time. 

My other issue with plastic tees is that they will start to 'plasticly deform' at some point and will lose rigidity. If you play somewhere with hard ground good luck getting those in the tee box.

Though I will say, if you break a plastic tee it doesn't turn into a potential shiv for a thin soled shoe. 

LGLG

I like using plastic tees. They last longer, and easier to find. I use the Callaway tees. 

image.png.61934dbae1c9d6f697f415659b99c3ac.png

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

I have so many tees I prefer to use the wood ones in the hopes they break and my collection dwindles.  I have a hard time leaving a good tee on the ground though so I usually end up with more than I teed-off with 

image.png.596eab9904a0e99486a09cdb92500ced.png AeroJet LS 10.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65g Stiff-Flex

image.png.dbc730be382654e44c7d2a48fa6eed67.pngJPX-850 5W 16* Fujikura Motore Tour Spec 6.3 Stiff-Flex

image.png.9454767fdf9faf9965f7cd6c94d1c24a.png 0317X Gen4 2-Hybrid 17* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75g Stiff-Flex or

image.png.2d0afd9b0ffa1e8a1d0b6c08ac8f37c7.png 0211 3-Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75g Stiff-Flex

image.png.e9d9c096f6e44154c947eaa8b0bd6541.pngPro 223 4-Iron Nippon Shafts Pro Modus3 Tour 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.3ec41f28452096d8fcdde969774ec768.pngMP-20 MMC 5-PW LA Golf Tour AXS Blue 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.ea5de508878d729c6e26f45fb78d76fb.pngPro 223 GW 52* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.25dc4d61c6e70541d98a681e1fade611.pngMG3 56* SB12 & 60* SB10 True Temper Dynamic Gold S400W

image.png.b81b08ab505111827d8b0cdc1bb93d14.pngWorks Big T Blade 350g Super Stroke Fatso 5.0 counterbalanced grip 

image.png.8c023ed39f083a2d0f865ee72c27c8d2.pngAcross the board

Plastic tees 99% of the time. Reason being longevity. I will use broken wood tees for par 3s though.

My bag consists of

Odyssey Backstryke D.A.R.T. Putter

Calloway Diablo Habanero Driver 9.5

PING eye 2 Irons (4-PW)

Nicklaus ATW 3 HYBRID

King Cobra 3 wood

King Cobra 5 wood

Sand wedge

Lob wedge

Either.

I haven't bought a tee in years.  Playing in outings or at country clubs there are always handfuls of tees around.  

My favorites right now were sent to me by Amazon as part of a recent purchase.  They are recycled plastic with a rubber tip that seem to last forever.  I think I've broken one the entire season.  

And yes, I am the guy who is picking up and using everyone else's discards on a par 3

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Plastic, I like the three contact points. I feel the ball pops of the tee with less drag. Also, after being struck, they are easy to find, I think I get more life out of plastic!

It is never raining too hard to play golf!

Bamboo...which I would guess more resembles wood. I use unfinished. A lot of talk about environmental concerns but consider the fact that MOST wood tees are painted. A broken painted wood tee will be around a long time. Unfinished bamboo  tees snap easily but the do decompose and the plant grows quickly. 

I like the plastic ones. But I played with an older guy that would pick up the broken ones at the tee box , would pull out a small pencil sharpener and would sharpen them and leave them behind for people to use.  He said it kept his mind off of the slow pace of play on those long days.

Driver - Callaway Paradym 9*  w/Fuji Ventus Blue stiff 

Fairway - Callaway Epic Speed Heavenwood

Utility Wood - Callaway Apex UW 19*

Hybrids - 3 , 4, 5 Ping G425

Irons - 5 - PW Ping G425

Wedges -50, 54 Mizuno S23 , 58 Maltby Max Milled

Putter - L.A.B. Mezz 1 Max

Bag - Mizuno

Cart - Alphard powered Caddy Tek 3 wheeler

Silence is Golden, Duct tape is Silver.

43 minutes ago, Mr_BogeyPro said:

I like using plastic tees. They last longer, and easier to find. I use the Callaway tees. 

image.png.61934dbae1c9d6f697f415659b99c3ac.png

I have seen those, but have never used them.  I am curious, does the thinner profile make them easier to get in the ground on a firm teebox?

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I use Zero Friction plastic tees.  Wooden tees break easily when playing a course with hard ground.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver

:callaway-small: Mavrik Three wood

:taylormade-small: M2 Hybrids 3, 4 & 5

:taylormade-small: R7 irons 5 - AW

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

Retired educator who loves this game.  It is challenging and a game of integrity.

49 minutes ago, NoRebound said:

Either.

I haven't bought a tee in years.  Playing in outings or at country clubs there are always handfuls of tees around.  

My favorites right now were sent to me by Amazon as part of a recent purchase.  They are recycled plastic with a rubber tip that seem to last forever.  I think I've broken one the entire season.  

And yes, I am the guy who is picking up and using everyone else's discards on a par 3

Very true.  I pock up 4 to 5 every time I walk when playing.

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

Retired educator who loves this game.  It is challenging and a game of integrity.

2 hours ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

We spent 5 min looking for a guy’s $15 plastic golf tee. I’ve searched diligently for thousands of balls, but never a tee. I empathized with his plight … but $15 😵‍💫 for a tee? The tee box was elevated, and his tee flew off the front. And I won’t let him forget about it. Whenever I play with him, or even when he’s paired with others, I ALWAYS warn them to watch his tee, not his ball. 😝

One tee for $15?  WOW

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

5 hours ago, Bobvon24 said:

I use American Flag plastic tees. I get numerous rounds out of the tee and I like the way they look. The only problem is sometimes the tee makes my ball duck hook and other times a big banana slice. It’s got to be the tee right.

My tees must be from the same place you get your tees.

Volkey sand wedge

David Musty putter

Martini tees are goofy but I have only broken 2 in over 100 rounds. Lost 1 and given away several.  I only use them on driver shots and use whatever for everything else. I would normally go through hundreds of wood tees in the same span. The regular plastic tees will break fairly easily and are easily lost as well. 

Matt Reed

WITB- gaming my TM M4 and still blasting it by my buddies. tsi 3w and 7w. Won a bet that paid for my ZX5 irons. Vokey wedges.  Looking to make a switch on my putter but can’t justify it, maybe I’ll make another bet.  

I’m definitely a plastic tee guy. I like the pride performance combo box that gives you driver tees and short tees for par threes. One of those will last a long time. 

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD

Fairway: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha

Irons: Callaway Apex 

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 notchback

Ball: Vice Pro

No particular preference. Wood tees break more often, but are bio-degradable. Need to cut down trees to supply the wood. Plastic is more durable, but get bent and can be difficult to keep the ball on the tee. Add plastic to the envronment.  Need a third alternative for the "perfect" tee.

Ted Tedeschi

I found on par3s. If I break a tee, I know the shot was solid. I love to see the club collect the divot after the tee.  As for 3w and driver you can see your misses by looking at the bottom of club with the white scuff marks. Adapt and work on flaw next hole. 

Taylormade M5 Custom Aldila Rouge Black 130MCI SST Pure Shaft

Taylormade M6 3W Hazardus Yellow

Taylormade M6 3H Hazardus Black 

Callaway Apex Pro Forged SST Pure Irons KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Shaft 1degree upright with each 1/2 Shorter than Std.

Taylormade 50, 54 58 Wedges Custom s200 Shaft Stiff

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter 34'' Custom Fit Via Golftec.

Ball Srixon Z Star xv.

I am a strong advocate of plastic tees, because they seem to last forever (otherwise I am finding broken or half tees all over the tee box).  But I really like the sugar cane biodegradable tees I find in Hawaii.

I'm a TaylorMade convert on the Driver, but still a Callaway Apex iron guy

3 minutes ago, hapx said:

I am a strong advocate of plastic tees, because they seem to last forever (otherwise I am finding broken or half tees all over the tee box).  But I really like the sugar cane biodegradable tees I find in Hawaii.

I’ve never heard of the sugar cane biodegradable tees… interesting. 
I don’t like how I can feel the tee when I use plastic tees and I had a superintendent tell me to use wood tees. So, I prefer wood tees with no paint. However, I am playing red vice wood tees right now because they came free with an order. For whatever reason, I’ve had the same tee for the equivalent of three 18 hole rounds. I usually go through the plain wood tees at a rate of about three per round. 

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

I primarily use plastic because they last longer and typically have a less resistant head design. For par 3's I will use a broken wooden tee, there  are usually a few hanging around the tee box.

:taylormade-small:Taylormade R1 driver (set to 9 degrees)
:taylormade-small: Taylormade SLDR driver 10.5 degrees
:callaway-small: Callaway big bertha 3 wood
:wilson-small: Wilson 5 wood
:taylormade-small:Taylormade Aeoburner irons (5-pw)
:taylormade-small:Taylormade 52 degree wedge
Ping knock-off sand Wedge
Warrior 60 degree wedge
Trutech putter