Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Best “cheap” wedge sets

Coulter

Hey guys I need your thoughts and recommendations. I play the taylormade M1 irons and have 5-pw. My problem I’ve had is the pw is 45 degrees loft and I hit it around 140-145 yards. My next club is a 52 degree wedge that I hit 115-120 yards. It never fails every time I play I have a shot in the 125-135 yard range and I can never seem to hit it just right. I’m needing some recommendations on wedge sets that include a 48/52/56 degree clubs. I also can’t afford to spend $100 per club. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

10 hours ago, Coulter said:

Hey guys I need your thoughts and recommendations. I play the taylormade M1 irons and have 5-pw. My problem I’ve had is the pw is 45 degrees loft and I hit it around 140-145 yards. My next club is a 52 degree wedge that I hit 115-120 yards. It never fails every time I play I have a shot in the 125-135 yard range and I can never seem to hit it just right. I’m needing some recommendations on wedge sets that include a 48/52/56 degree clubs. I also can’t afford to spend $100 per club. Any help would be appreciated.

I know @GolfSpy SAM has the kirkland set. Not sure what their available lofts are, but if they were 50,54,58 that could be an option for you. 

I am always hesitant to go with anything used as grooves are just shot most of the time so buying new is quite often necessary. Maybe try some DTC brands like Sub70? Not sure what options New Level, Takomo, Caley and others may have in the DTC space which may be closer to your price range. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

12 hours ago, Coulter said:

Can you have those clubs bent to your desired lofts? I really don't know the answer, the club builders here would know, but that seems like the cheapest option,

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

13 hours ago, Coulter said:

Maybe the Callaway pre-owned site might be worth a look. Also if you are military or a veteran you could look on PXG and get deals under the hero’s program. 

Play like a champion today!

This is one of my favorite topics as I go through wedges like their is no tomorrow. I see you are in Arkansas. One thing that you have is used golf club shops. Sometimes even a driving range that carries used clubs. You could probably get yourself a set of Vokeys for under 100 per club. FB marketplace can be helpful to looking by searching for the specific degree clubs. The 48 is going to be the most difficult to find. They do not make alot of those. You can always have a 50 degree bent strong by a degree sometimes two. I also enjoy using rockbottomgolf.com for items I cannot find locally. Outside of that the Facebook page golf clubs and traders allows you to post a wtb add and there's always plenty of people willing to sell clubs just verify they are a known good seller.

Titleist TSR2 10 

Ping G410 3 14.5 and 3 hybrid 19

Titleist 718 AP2 4-pw

Mizuno T22 50 D grind and 58 S grind

Taylormade Copper Spider X

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the feedback.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

I’m pretty sure Tour Edge and Wilson have some cheaper options. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

My first option would be to learn to hit a choked down 3/4 PW and that would probably put you in that 120 range.

2nd - Would you primarily be looking at a full swing club?  Or is it something you would like to use around the greens and partial shots?  Trying to find the GW for your M1 set would be a great option if it's primarily a full swing club.

Last, if you've already got a 52 you like don't replace all your wedges, just pick up a 48 degree and see if it fits your gap.  Then you can take out the 60 if you like it.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

10 hours ago, Bossfan said:

I’m pretty sure Tour Edge and Wilson have some cheaper options. 

That's a good shout-out !

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

https://www.golfworks.com/clubs/maltby-paks/?_bc_fsnf=1&Club+Type=Wedge

Lots of good reviews around on these.  Good luck!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

I really like my Lazrus set from Amazon. There are a couple threads on here talking about them too, to give you a better idea. 

LAZRUS Premium Forged Golf Wedge Set for Men - 52 56 60 Degree Golf Wedges + Milled Face for More Spin - Great Golf Gift https://a.co/d/8dTYF1r

Driver: TaylorMade M6, stiff, 9°, 45.75"

3W: Lazrus 3 Wood, regular, 15°, 43.5"

3H: Lazrus 3 Hybrid, regular, 18°, 40.75"

5i-PW,AW: TaylorMade M6, steel (PW-43.5°, AW-49° [both 36.00"-D1/C9])

52°W: Lazrus, 52°, 8°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

56°W: Lazrus, 56°, 12°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

60°W: Lazrus, 60°, 10°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydroblast, 35", Flow Neck #9 (21° toe hang), KBS Chrome C-Taper Stepless Stability, Superstroke Gtr 1.0 grip

Ball: TaylorMade TP5x, Titleist Pro V1x, experimenting with Snell & Vice

Bag: testing - Stitch Golf SL2 Fadeaway walking bag (active review post link)

I've been gaming the 60 degree Jean Carlo because I'm cheap. 🙂  I have a 56 degree Vokey SM9 and I love it but my game doesn't know the difference in wedges so when I needed a 60 degree to fill a full swing gap in the 80-yard range I got this. Yeah, the back looks cheezy but the face looks nice. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BXP3FSJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jean Carlo Golf Wedge 48/50/52/54/56/58/60/62 Degree Sand Wedge,Gap Wedge,Lob Wedge for Men & Women Milled Face for More Spin Right Hand Golf Clubs

$50 each off Amazon. 

-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     GX-7 14°
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER      L.A.B Link1 33"
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice. 

I’ve been playing these custom clones from GigaGolf and like them very much:

https://www.gigagolf.com/club_detailsHTML.jhtml?manufacturer=GigaGolf&groupnum=WG-GGCV08

Starting price is $40 each but after I optioned them the way I wanted they were closer to $70. The swing weight is absolutely perfect, a tad heavier feel than my 770 irons which is exactly how I want them especially around the greens. I do wish they would spin a bit more. I’m not convinced yet that it’s not user error…

That being said, I found this guy on Instagram and he is making some absolutely stunning raw wedges and I’m about to pull out my wallet:

https://www.coreypaulfunctionalart.com/?fbclid=PAAaYUuQ38uCodB0KM57hMjjBsxe2eGVb7JFmtpRGtXE6ayAgxfAbacpeHIXU_aem_AU2ZqpMfUX-GZSQIRlpCGjL7UQdNcQWyy77_wr0VfeZ7CpSvfEIXtxQLH8rGvClYm5U

Golf is expensive, and if you're looking to redo you wedges. You should check out D2C manufacturers. I've been playing with GigaGolf wedges. They have a couple of choices in styles. I'm actually coming up on time to replace my wedges and they have a few choices where you can piece together what you want for less than $50 per club.

I currently play, since 2015, SGS 60* they run about $40 to start. And an S2 52* at $50.  I upgraded in the shafts so I had to add $12 to my config. Their wedges have been solid and play the way I expect. I'll be going back them soon.

Here's an option:  https://www.amazon.com/Taylormade-Approach-Wedge-Steel-Stiff/dp/B09BTX32VV

I would definitely try to find a matching gap wedge for your set (that Amazon one looks new,but check 2nd swing, global golf etc), and would then take a SERIOUS look at the Kirkland v2 wedges (52, 56 and 60).  They are spectacular, I've had both generations and gen 2 has a much better sole grind (which was my beef about gen 1).  I was replacing my SM7s with these and honestly haven't looked back.

Now to answer the question about lofts ... I have the Wilson D9 forged through gap wedge (50), and the Kirkies start at 52.  The Wilson has a different shaft and a totally different flight (flatter and spins less).  So I find I can cover 115-125 with the Wilson, where the Kirkie 52 with the wedge shaft tops out at 110 for me, so pretty decent gapping.  Also be careful about bending wedges strong ... you will lose bounce and some of the leading edge relief, so if you're a steeper swinger that won't be ideal.

Kirkland V2 Wedges, Wilson D9 (DG 105) 5-GW, Callaway Epic Flash 3+ and 5w (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0), Ping G425 3 and 4 hybrids (Alta cb 70), Titleist Tsi 2 (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)

22 minutes ago, TheFlyingJohn said:

I’ve been playing these custom clones from GigaGolf and like them very much:

https://www.gigagolf.com/club_detailsHTML.jhtml?manufacturer=GigaGolf&groupnum=WG-GGCV08

Starting price is $40 each but after I optioned them the way I wanted they were closer to $70. The swing weight is absolutely perfect, a tad heavier feel than my 770 irons which is exactly how I want them especially around the greens. I do wish they would spin a bit more. I’m not convinced yet that it’s not user error…

That being said, I found this guy on Instagram and he is making some absolutely stunning raw wedges and I’m about to pull out my wallet:

https://www.coreypaulfunctionalart.com/?fbclid=PAAaYUuQ38uCodB0KM57hMjjBsxe2eGVb7JFmtpRGtXE6ayAgxfAbacpeHIXU_aem_AU2ZqpMfUX-GZSQIRlpCGjL7UQdNcQWyy77_wr0VfeZ7CpSvfEIXtxQLH8rGvClYm5U

These look really nice. as someone who doesn't like to pay a lot for clubs, these are a great option

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

1 hour ago, Q22Golf said:

I really like my Lazrus set from Amazon. There are a couple threads on here talking about them too, to give you a better idea. 

LAZRUS Premium Forged Golf Wedge Set for Men - 52 56 60 Degree Golf Wedges + Milled Face for More Spin - Great Golf Gift https://a.co/d/8dTYF1r

I second the Lazrus wedges. They've become my favorite clubs by far since getting them. Previously I had some used Vokey wedges, and from that experience I would say new "cheap" wedges is better than used premium wedges.

WITB:

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.8* Turned to 9.5* with Alta CB Red Stiff Flex

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade R15 Rescue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: Lazarus 52, 56, and 60

Putter: Putter Designed and Built by me!

Definitely would look at Callaway golf pre-owned.  Owned by Callaway, their like new condition clubs are truly like new, for about 50-60% of the original price.  Buy used in definitely a buyer beware situation, but you can quickly find info on most of the larger resellers. DTC seems to be a pretty good option for many people, and I know a couple of players who have Sub70's and love them.  Finding a 48* may be hard, but gapping at 50, 55 and 60 (if you carry three wedges) should get you close, depending on the clubs. The other thing to consider is the gapping between your 9 and PW, , maybe you could weaken your PW slightly and get more consistent gapping in all your short irons.

WITB

Driver:    :titelist-small: Titleist TSi3 w/ HZRDUS RDX Black6.0, A1 setting

Fairway:  :titelist-small:  Titleist TSi3 15* with HZRDUS RDX Black 6.0, 1/2 short, A4 setting

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW, 19* with HZRDUS RDX Black

Irons:.   :taylormade-small: Taylor Made P790 4-9 with KBS Tour Flt 120 Stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM9, 50, 56 with KBS Tour stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7, 60* with Tour Flt stiff shaft

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Odyssey Ten mallet

Ball:.  :titelist-small:  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Grips:. Golf Pride MCC+4, 3 wraps

Not sure if it has been mentioned here but I have really liked my Harry Taylor golf wedges.  The dimpled soles are cool lol.  I have a set of the 405s and then bought the 305s.  They have a nice milled face and I found the weight felt lighter than a vokey, transitioning from my gi iron set a bit better.

https://harrytaylorgolf.com/

1 hour ago, JeremyD said:

These look really nice. as someone who doesn't like to pay a lot for clubs, these are a great option

They are eye catching for sure! I admit I clean them often, but I've been playing a LOT and one of the first things people say when they walk up to my bag is "Did you get new wedges?" before immediately proceeding to pull one and start swinging it around 🙃

1 hour ago, Mike13 said:

Not sure if the available lofts, but Wilson Harmonized wedges are the most popular on Amazon. I love my 52 and 56. I did put the CPX grips on these, btw.

Broke my 56 the day of a golf trip into the country where my only replacement option would have been the lost clubs in the pro shop. Grabbed a $40 Wilson Harmonized just to make it through the weekend and I honestly love it. The grip was noticeably thin so I had it replaced and it made me even more deadly. My only complaint is that I can't hit it full swing like I used to - tends to go right under the ball, especially in the rough. But I'm holing out from the sand maybe 1 out of 10 times. No joke.

Also don't like paying a huge amount for clubs so I'll never go Vokey unless I don't pay for them. Giving serious consideration to the Kirkland v2 and having them bent to match the stronger lofts on my irons.

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

A few weeks ago, my son - 13, got new Taylor Made irons.   He needed some wedges, purchased him a Vokey Wedge at PGA Superstore $197.95 after taxes.  Later saw on here the post about Sub 70 wedges.   I went on their site, bought him an Excellent condition wedge from them.   I think it was $80.  After receiving that from them, I went and got 2 Excellent conditioned wedges from them.   I think the 3 wedges I bought from them total were $270.  We both have been hitting them great.  If we are suppose to change out wedges every year, I can justify replacing at $80-$100 instead of replacing at $197.95 each.   After hitting the wedges and liking them, got some demo irons from them to test out.  I talked to them about shafts, great people.  Ended up getting a set of irons from them and so did my dad.   Those irons are awesome and just about half the price of what I spent on the Taylor Made irons for son.  

Golf purists are not gonna like this. But a couple of my friends have got the Kirkland wedges and are actually more than happy with them. I think it’s 135 for three wedges. I’m not sure if they can be bent to the loft you’re looking at. You could do some searches on YouTube and they’ve actually rated pretty darn high from some respectable golf club testers. Just a thought. 

Callaway Mavrik irons, Ping woods

2 minutes ago, mrmatt2you said:

A few weeks ago, my son - 13, got new Taylor Made irons.   He needed some wedges, purchased him a Vokey Wedge at PGA Superstore $197.95 after taxes.  Later saw on here the post about Sub 70 wedges.   I went on their site, bought him an Excellent condition wedge from them.   I think it was $80.  After receiving that from them, I went and got 2 Excellent conditioned wedges from them.   I think the 3 wedges I bought from them total were $270.  We both have been hitting them great.  If we are suppose to change out wedges every year, I can justify replacing at $80-$100 instead of replacing at $197.95 each.   After hitting the wedges and liking them, got some demo irons from them to test out.  I talked to them about shafts, great people.  Ended up getting a set of irons from them and so did my dad.   Those irons are awesome and just about half the price of what I spent on the Taylor Made irons for son.  

I second taking a look at Sub70 pre-owned wedges. They have their 286 wedge line (which is what is currently in my bag) for as low as $65 per club right now. You’ll probably have to do some waiting and searching for a 48*, but the other lofts they almost always have available pre-owned. Plus, Sub70 customer service is phenomenal, even on their pre-owned clubs.

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

You could just get a 48/50 wedge now and mix/match the other clubs in your bag depending on the course turf/bunker conditions. Fresh groves are a better option than used wedges if you are looking for those Maxfli’s to check up. Then over time add a 54/56 and a 58/60. 
Not sure why Kirkland offers 52/56/60. Players with 48 PW are playing quality blades and won’t be looking for single grind wedges. The rest of us are using 43-45 degree PW. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH