Galway Bay Rain Gear - 2023 Forum Review

GolfSpy_APH
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

5 hours ago, EugeGall said:

Would a comparable test be if my club distances and dispersion wasn’t effected?

Wouldn't that be negatively affected (possibly) by the rain and wind? Can a radar operate in the rain??

"Just hit it down the middle. It's wide open there." - Coach Haberli // A Grind BX-D 9.5° | A Grind FW DST 14° | A Grind BX-H 2H (17°) | A Grind Utility Proto 3H (19.5°) | A Grind+ Utility 4H (23°) | :KZG: Tri-Tour Forged Irons 6-9 | :vokey-small: 46°, 50°, 55°, 60° | :cameron-small: Studio Design 1 | :srixon-small: XV-Star🔹 | :wilson-small: Triad | Garmin CT10 | Garmin Approach S70 | Eenour U1000 Pro rangefinder

20 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So testers, who has a radar device that can track clubhead speed?  I’m of course interested in how well gear keeps you dry, but I’m just as concerned with how much it does or doesn’t restrict your swing?  A comparison test of clubhead speeds with and without the gear on would be pretty interesting..

Just remembered my course has recently installed Toptracer Range so can easily measure ball speed and dispersion to target with and without the Galway gear. 

Edited by EugeGall
typo

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 3HL Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym Heavenwood Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 4H Project X Hzrdus Silver
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Seven with logo-bjm2.png.b7e1077b096fed17a2870b0f63b7837f.png Kotahi grip
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, :Clicgear: 8.0+

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

6 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Screw an ice bucket, let’s get submerged in a full ice bath!

Go big or go home!!!

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

15 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

A comparison test of clubhead speeds with and without the gear on would be pretty interesting..

That would work… if my club head speed was constant on a nice warm sunny day… 😜 My neighbor already thinks I’m crazy swinging my Stack in the backyard - wait until she sees me doing it in the rain. 

Actually I do like this idea. Rain or not. Swing a few on, swing a few off. With the cooler temps I’m going to have to start wearing a jacket anyway, just thought it’d be a hoodie.  

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

10 hours ago, Paco Chan said:

Wouldn't that be negatively affected (possibly) by the rain and wind? Can a radar operate in the rain??

If you are comparing flexibility versus restriction it would not have to be in the rain. It’d be restrictive or flexible wet or dry.  Frankly I’d think having wet hands and a secure grip on the club might be more impactful. So would securing footing.  Hmmm…. things to think about.  But we can see what we can do. 

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts

4 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

If you are comparing flexibility versus restriction it would not have to be in the rain. It’d be restrictive or flexible wet or dry.  Frankly I’d think having wet hands and a secure grip on the club might be more impactful. So would securing footing.  Hmmm…. things to think about.  But we can see what we can do. 

Hahaha, too many permutations. But appreciate the effort y'all are putting into the testing! Can't wait to hear how your neighbour reacts to you swinging the Stack, in the backyard, during a downpour! (I'm sure it was the butler, with the candlestick, in the dining room. But I digress.)

"Just hit it down the middle. It's wide open there." - Coach Haberli // A Grind BX-D 9.5° | A Grind FW DST 14° | A Grind BX-H 2H (17°) | A Grind Utility Proto 3H (19.5°) | A Grind+ Utility 4H (23°) | :KZG: Tri-Tour Forged Irons 6-9 | :vokey-small: 46°, 50°, 55°, 60° | :cameron-small: Studio Design 1 | :srixon-small: XV-Star🔹 | :wilson-small: Triad | Garmin CT10 | Garmin Approach S70 | Eenour U1000 Pro rangefinder

On 9/12/2023 at 2:24 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

So testers, who has a radar device that can track clubhead speed?  I’m of course interested in how well gear keeps you dry, but I’m just as concerned with how much it does or doesn’t restrict your swing?  A comparison test of clubhead speeds with and without the gear on would be pretty interesting..

I've got a Mevo+ and can get swing speed.  

Been thinking about this today - need to pick my most consistent club - like a 7 or 8 iron and go through a series like seven swing with a golf shirt, take the average; seven swings with the GalwayBay rain jacket, take the average; the seven swings with another rain jack, average; seven swings with a hoodie or some other jacket....  so there is some comparison to something else other than just jacket/no jacket.  

53 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I've got a Mevo+ and can get swing speed.  

Been thinking about this today - need to pick my most consistent club - like a 7 or 8 iron and go through a series like seven swing with a golf shirt, take the average; seven swings with the GalwayBay rain jacket, take the average; the seven swings with another rain jack, average; seven swings with a hoodie or some other jacket....  so there is some comparison to something else other than just jacket/no jacket.  

Love that approach! Can't wait to see results!

Driver - Titleist TS2 

3 Wood - TaylorMade Rocketballz 2

Hybrids - Taylormade Rescue knockoffs

Irons - Taylormade Burner 2.0

52 Degree - Cleveland CG14

56 Degree - Titleist Vokey BV

60 Degree - Ping Glide 3.0

Ball - Depends if I find in or have to pay for it.

Hi all!

I'm looking forward to my first opportunity to test for Mygolfspy readers! Northwest weather should make for a great test of breathability and rain resistance. I've used several of the 'name brand' rain gear both foreign and domestic (US) and have been mostly unimpressed.  I'm hoping that this gear really performs because I use rain gear a lot!

-XY

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

Just my 2 cents here. I've been golfing in wet, soggy conditions most of my life. Rain does affect range of motion, especially if the garment isn't breathable.  I'll definitely be looking at that. The fact that the pants are designed to be worn as pants and not as over-wear intrigues me as this may reduce the limitations to range of motion I've found with other products.

-XY

-XY

On 9/11/2023 at 4:31 PM, Alan Scalzi said:

Placeholder

Hi all MGS members,  just wanted to introduce myself I'm Alan, love getting out and playing golf as much as possible with some luck in weather this year seems like I have been able to play ever weekend from the beginning of the new year! Not much snow this year(Yeah)! I'm a home remodeler, I own my own business so getting away to golf is a little easier for me. I usually practice every day as I have room in my basement to hit balls and putt! This year I can say is the most golf I have played  in my lifetime and find myself wanting to play more! Really looking forward to trying out the Galway Bay gear as I don't like wearing alot of layers of clothing when playing golf! The great things about this test is I can wear this when practicing ,  on the course and just wearing them in my everyday life to stay comfortable and dry! 

Edited by Alan Scalzi
Bad grammar!

Alan Scalzi 

On 9/11/2023 at 4:31 PM, jdparker said:

I want to first say thanks to MGS for the opportunity to test out the Galway Bay rain gear!  My name is Josh and I am out of Austin, Texas.  Born and raised.  A few fun facts outside of golf.  I am married and have 2 young children (2 and 7).   I work in real estate and have been for the last 3.5 years.  I got into the business in order to spend more time with my kids while they are young and I love what I do.  I’m also a licensed fishing captain and we spend a lot of time down at the coast.  There is much more but I will keep this section short and sweet so that we can get to the good stuff.golf3.jpg.ae82af5d7e0c51f5446fe51ed2bcc7bc.jpg

I started playing golf about 15 years ago at a small city owned course.  There wasn’t much to do in the small town and I was working for the city at the time and several co-workers played so I decided to pick up the game.  Little did I know that it would become quite the obsession.  I played for a few years non-stop and had gotten down to a 3 handicap before moving back to Austin.  Once I was back in Austin, I got a job in construction and moved up the ranks where work/life got busy and golfing was a treat but didn’t happen nearly as much as I would have liked and my game went away.  This past year, I finally got to a place that I was able to dedicate more time to practicing and playing again and thankfully I have a wife that allows me to get out there and play pretty much whenever I want to.  (Now that she’s starting to learn, I’m sure that some of that “quiet” time I enjoy about golfing may change some….. don’t tell her that though…HAHA)  All kidding aside, I am actually excited that I will get to spend some time on the course with her.  I decided to finally get fitted for clubs this past year and it has changed my game and currently sitting at a 12 handicap.

golf.jpg.ad0a6abfda71b4492230fd12dbc979d2.jpg

Now for the testing part…

My expectations on rain gear would love to be high, however, most rain gear seems to have limitations in performance and comfort.  Honestly, I am hoping that we get some good rain and can truly put it to the test.  If not, I have some things planned in order to put them through the wringer.  Could be very entertaining as well as informative.  I will be focusing on how it performs as far as being able to swing a club without restriction and how waterproof it actually is.  My current gear repels water to a point and then just soaks thru.  Most gear is noisy and it’s one thing I can’t stand when trying to play in any weather. 

If there are certain things that folks would like to see, please comment and I will do my best to incorporate that into my testing.

golf2.jpg.f8a512f773d54c5bbb3763e926ce08f1.jpg

Looks like the Galway Bay gear will be here Wednesday and can't wait to put it to the test.  I have seen a few request already but if anyone has specific things they would like to see, please let me know.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Hi all MGS members and a big thanks for being selected to do this test! just wanted to introduce myself I'm Alan, love getting out and playing golf as much as possible with some luck in weather this year seems like I have been able to play ever weekend from the beginning of the new year! Not much snow this year(Yeah)! I'm a home remodeler, I own my own business so getting away to golf is a little easier for me. I usually practice every day as I have room in my basement to hit balls and putt! This year I can say is the most golf I have played  in my lifetime and find myself wanting to play more! Really looking forward to trying out the Galway Bay gear as I don't like wearing alot of layers of clothing when playing golf! The great things about this test is I can wear this when practicing ,  on the course and just wearing them in my everyday life to stay comfortable and dry! 

Alan Scalzi 

My introduction is in the testing post pinned at the top.

On 9/11/2023 at 4:31 PM, jdparker said:

I want to first say thanks to MGS for the opportunity to test out the Galway Bay rain gear!  My name is Josh and I am out of Austin, Texas.  Born and raised.  A few fun facts outside of golf.  I am married and have 2 young children (2 and 7).   I work in real estate and have been for the last 3.5 years.  I got into the business in order to spend more time with my kids while they are young and I love what I do.  I’m also a licensed fishing captain and we spend a lot of time down at the coast.  There is much more but I will keep this section short and sweet so that we can get to the good stuff.golf3.jpg.ae82af5d7e0c51f5446fe51ed2bcc7bc.jpg

I started playing golf about 15 years ago at a small city owned course.  There wasn’t much to do in the small town and I was working for the city at the time and several co-workers played so I decided to pick up the game.  Little did I know that it would become quite the obsession.  I played for a few years non-stop and had gotten down to a 3 handicap before moving back to Austin.  Once I was back in Austin, I got a job in construction and moved up the ranks where work/life got busy and golfing was a treat but didn’t happen nearly as much as I would have liked and my game went away.  This past year, I finally got to a place that I was able to dedicate more time to practicing and playing again and thankfully I have a wife that allows me to get out there and play pretty much whenever I want to.  (Now that she’s starting to learn, I’m sure that some of that “quiet” time I enjoy about golfing may change some….. don’t tell her that though…HAHA)  All kidding aside, I am actually excited that I will get to spend some time on the course with her.  I decided to finally get fitted for clubs this past year and it has changed my game and currently sitting at a 12 handicap.

My expectations on rain gear would love to be high, however, most rain gear seems to have limitations in performance and comfort.  Honestly, I am hoping that we get some good rain and can truly put it to the test.  If not, I have some things planned in order to put them through the wringer.  Could be very entertaining as well as informative.  I will be focusing on how it performs as far as being able to swing a club without restriction and how waterproof it actually is.  My current gear repels water to a point and then just soaks thru.  Most gear is noisy and it’s one thing I can’t stand when trying to play in any weather. 

If there are certain things that folks would like to see, please comment and I will do my best to incorporate that into my testing.

Well, the day has arrived, and I just received my package from Galway Bay!  Opening the box and here are my initial thoughts. 

Packaging: 

Each item arrives in its own packaging.  The bags are zippered, and each has the company logo on them.  I know packaging on clothing doesn’t matter to many but at the upper end of the price range, seeing everything in its own logoed bag was a pleasant surprise.

20230918_132554.jpg.73d3e0b6c490c7aff506bb69ce805799.jpg20230918_132615.jpg.be1488566b0a08bdf31e8b301145c1b4.jpg

20230918_132720.jpg.46f2f9a199a1c3c45ef121af77f31312.jpg

20230918_133237.jpg.0a3ad98fee3286df107dd6b54b4e71f5.jpg

Gloves:  Golf Rain Grip Gloves

First impression of the gloves is that they are high quality and that the fit and finish is good.  The outside of the gloves reminds me slightly of the new style of construction or mechanics gloves and seem to have breathability.  They fit well and are snug, just like a golf glove should fit.  The palm area feels more like a suede, so I am interested to see how they feel when they are wet and to see if the claim to good grip will really be there. 

20230918_133242.jpg.2a668612726f162ba4e86576ead45a64.jpg

20230918_132940.jpg.291290a23ad7972d2affe65922c2f3d4.jpg

Jacket:  Hawthorn II Golf Rain Jacket

The quality is far better than many of the rain jackets I have owned in the past.  The sealed zippers and seams are a great feature and the slotted neckline fit nicely when zipped all the way up.  Galway Bay claims the Hydro-Flex 32 fabric not only blocks wind and rain but also has a breathability rating of 15,000.  This is something that I will definitely be testing heavily as we don’t get just a ton of cold weather in Texas, but we do get the rain showers.  I briefly threw on the jacket and the fit feels good.  I feel like there is room in the shoulders and back area that should allow for a smooth golf swing.  The jacket does have that wispy noise that every rain jacket I have owned does but I want to wear it more to see if it is the better or worse than the rest.   

20230918_133141.jpg.17846195054e3e91b024e504032c75da.jpg20230918_133011.jpg.1edb938d53a3528aed3f2e0c26c96960.jpg

20230918_132841.jpg.21c252500eae01e2545bd22a6d6aaa14.jpg

Pants:  Seagrove II Chino Rain Pant

The pants are made of the same fabric as the jacket and the quality is present in these as well.  They fit well and the sizing is spot on for my everyday clothing size.  Galway Bay says that the pants are soft and quiet.  There is some slight noise but nothing like traditional rain gear.  It will be interesting to see the durability of water resistance between those other brands and the Galway Bay pants.  They are comfortable and could easily be worn as everyday pants.  I don't necessarily see them as a throw over your current pants in a pop-up rainstorm because they do not have any zippers at the cuff of the pants and you would need to remove your shoes, but I plan on attempting that scenario to see what happens. 

My Galway Bay Rain Gear Showed up today and I have put together my first thoughts and unboxing up.  If you have specific test you would like to see with the gear, let me know and I will do my best to get those done.

2 hours ago, jdparker said:

My Galway Bay Rain Gear Showed up toda

It’s like 1,300 miles from from Rosswood OH to Austin.  It’s 800 miles to Sioux City IA. Yours arrived today??? Mine are supposed to arrive Thursday???? 😜 UPS handed it off to USPS, so who know… maybe Friday… And the weather forecast in Rome this weekend is rain rain rain… 😥

On 9/11/2023 at 10:31 PM, jdparker said:

Well, the day has arrived, and I just received my package from Galway Bay!  Opening the box and here are my initial thoughts. 

Packaging: 

Each item arrives in its own packaging.  The bags are zippered, and each has the company logo on them.  I know packaging on clothing doesn’t matter to many but at the upper end of the price range, seeing everything in its own logoed bag was a pleasant surprise.

20230918_132554.jpg.73d3e0b6c490c7aff506bb69ce805799.jpg20230918_132615.jpg.be1488566b0a08bdf31e8b301145c1b4.jpg

20230918_132720.jpg.46f2f9a199a1c3c45ef121af77f31312.jpg

20230918_133237.jpg.0a3ad98fee3286df107dd6b54b4e71f5.jpg

Gloves:  Golf Rain Grip Gloves

First impression of the gloves is that they are high quality and that the fit and finish is good.  The outside of the gloves reminds me slightly of the new style of construction or mechanics gloves and seem to have breathability.  They fit well and are snug, just like a golf glove should fit.  The palm area feels more like a suede, so I am interested to see how they feel when they are wet and to see if the claim to good grip will really be there. 

20230918_133242.jpg.2a668612726f162ba4e86576ead45a64.jpg

20230918_132940.jpg.291290a23ad7972d2affe65922c2f3d4.jpg

Jacket:  Hawthorn II Golf Rain Jacket

The quality is far better than many of the rain jackets I have owned in the past.  The sealed zippers and seams are a great feature and the slotted neckline fit nicely when zipped all the way up.  Galway Bay claims the Hydro-Flex 32 fabric not only blocks wind and rain but also has a breathability rating of 15,000.  This is something that I will definitely be testing heavily as we don’t get just a ton of cold weather in Texas, but we do get the rain showers.  I briefly threw on the jacket and the fit feels good.  I feel like there is room in the shoulders and back area that should allow for a smooth golf swing.  The jacket does have that wispy noise that every rain jacket I have owned does but I want to wear it more to see if it is the better or worse than the rest.   

20230918_133141.jpg.17846195054e3e91b024e504032c75da.jpg20230918_133011.jpg.1edb938d53a3528aed3f2e0c26c96960.jpg

20230918_132841.jpg.21c252500eae01e2545bd22a6d6aaa14.jpg

Pants:  Seagrove II Chino Rain Pant

The pants are made of the same fabric as the jacket and the quality is present in these as well.  They fit well and the sizing is spot on for my everyday clothing size.  Galway Bay says that the pants are soft and quiet.  There is some slight noise but nothing like traditional rain gear.  It will be interesting to see the durability of water resistance between those other brands and the Galway Bay pants.  They are comfortable and could easily be worn as everyday pants.  I don't necessarily see them as a throw over your current pants in a pop-up rainstorm because they do not have any zippers at the cuff of the pants and you would need to remove your shoes, but I plan on attempting that scenario to see what happens. 

They look cool and cannot wait for mine to arrive in the same colour combo. 

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Seven with logo-bjm2.png.b7e1077b096fed17a2870b0f63b7837f.png Kotahi grip
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, :Clicgear: 8.0+

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

@WaffleHouseTour ha, it wasn't supposed to show up until Wednesday.  It was a shock that they showed up early. 

Congrats testers!  Jealous of this one for sure.  I've been in the market for new rain gear .... will be following along for sure 👍

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Supposed to get mine tomorrow. I have a swing speed unit from Ryp golf I use for speed training. Should be interesting to test with.

-XY

Still anticipating my delivery, but the weather has changed and the rains have come.  My current GG rain gear is fashionable and comfortable, but has poor water repelling performance.  It also is too warm when it is a little warm, and provides no warmth when it gets a bit chilly.

So, what I’m really looking for in the Galway Bay gear is pretty simple.  I’ll break it down for easy reading:

Quality – When you pay this much for anything you should expect that the stitching is straight with good symmetry and no loose or missed threads.  When I turn the garment inside-out, I expect to see the pockets are dressed properly so they won’t sag or catch smaller items in the crease at the edge where it meets the front of the jacket.  The collar should sit comfortably whether raised Elvis like or laying flat.  Zippers or other closures should operate perfectly and consistently and of course be taped or otherwise rain-proofed.  Belt loops should be properly sewn on and strong enough to last as long as the pants.

Fit – I’m looking for a comfortable fit at the shoulders, under the arms, and at the neck and neck closure.  Galway Bay advertises that this gear is designed not just to be rain repellent, but useful for those days when rain may threaten but not show up.  In other words, breathable.  So, the jacket must remain a good fit rain or shine.  In the Pacific Northwest, “Rain or Shine” is the definition of golf.  I intend to test out both extremes and everything in between.  This is the perfect time of year for that.

Pants will be interesting as I was fitted for a full 2 inches shorter than my normal 32”.  So I may have “high water” rain gear!  That might actually be a good thing. 

Performance -  Does it keep me dry?  Well, I suppose personal opinion must flavor this.  To me, dry means dry.  If the jacket keeps the rain off for a few holes then soaks through, I won’t consider that a success.  Ideally, it will keep me dry throughout a round under steady light rain.  I’ll also be interested to see how the jacket responds to taking it off and putting it back on.  Does it get sticky?  Does the moisture on the outside bleed through into the interior if you put it into your bag between sprinkles on those days of rain showers with breaks of sunshine?

I guess I’m most curious about the performance of the pants.  As I said, they are shorter than my normal pant, and are designed to be worn as pants and not over your other pants.  Considering this, will they be able to keep me comfortably dry for an entire round and drive home from the course?  If I sit on a wet bench or a cart, what kind of soak-through will I get?  Will they be comfortable enough after a rainy round to sit and have a brew in the lounge with the guys? 

Another consideration is how the gear affects my swing.  All seasonal wear like rain and cold weather gear will restrict the swing to an extent.  This is a function of sizing, fit, material its made of, and swing style.  I’m one of those folks who is usually severely restricted by clothing…I imagine its mostly in my head…so I have high hopes that the Galway Bay gear won’t be so restrictive – especially the pants.

Style – While I’m not a slave to fashion, I do want to look like I’m there to play golf and not clean out a septic tank.  The pictures on the website show a nice looking fabric rather than the plasticky over-suits that I’ve worn in the past.  That will be a big plus.  Also, I’m no former underwear model like one of my golf buddies, but I want the clothes to look good even if I don’t do them justice.

XY

-XY

No rain in the forecast this weekend but planning on doing a few test with the pants and jacket.  

Be on the lookout for a video after this weekend similar to the one below.  As mentioned with no rain, I want to see how well the jacket and pants keep out water and what better way to give the wife and kids an excuse to throw water at me...

tenor.gif

Edited by jdparker

Did my unboxing today. 
IMG_4576.jpeg.d0fc9b997a6d25d9fb62af2dc34a69b0.jpeg

Well, at least I “unboxed” my RC uniform… I’m pretty sure the rain jacket they gave us will not meet the Galway Bay standards for water proofing, breathability or flexibility. 

in all seriousness, my gear arrived while I was somewhere over the Atlantic, so that will have to wait a week for me. 

However, as I stated in my intro, I’m very curious as to the care of this rain gear - how do you maintain the repellant nature of the clothing?  Here is what I discovered:  “we recommend washing it in warm water and using a mild detergent. Avoid using too much detergent, as this can reduce the waterproofness of the fabric. You can also use a DWR (durable water repellent) solution to refresh the waterproofness of your rain gear. DWR solutions are available at most outdoor retailers.”  

I have used Grangers DWR wash and spray before (easy to find on Amazon and elsewhere, so will plan to do so again.  
The testing will be over in a short period of time but we tester should think about long term updates - how long does it stay water proof. How do regular washing of the pants impact the water proofing…

Good call on the durability and care of the waterproofing. That "other" brand states that washing can actually improve the garments waterproofing...a claim I was suspicious of and I can tell you it did NOT. Mine was delivered today, playing tomorrow, unboxing and first review Monday.  Looking forward to this!

-XY

First test completed, and I have to say, I am quite impressed with the ability to repel water and stay dry!  I wore shorts under the pants to test those as well and everything stayed dry.  The pants are meant to be worn as the primary garment but they do have enough elasticity to fit over shorts.  I will try to see if they work over pants but have a feeling that they will be a little snug.  I think the most important thing to note is that, both the pants and jacket seemed to not soak in any water at all and felt almost dry to the touch once I had removed them. 

I plan on actually getting out to the range or course in them on the next rain to test the length that they remain dry, but for an initial test, they pass with flying colors.  

I agree with the rest of the guys, it's going to be a durability test that is important and if they will continue to remain dry over a longer period of time and use.  So, for everyone's enjoyment on a Sunday, here is a video of my son spaying me with a hose. 

10 hours ago, jdparker said:

I wore shorts under the pants to test those as well and everything stayed dry.  The pants are meant to be worn as the primary garment but they do have enough elasticity to fit over shorts. 

Did you order the same waist size as you normally would, or give yourself some room?

Update. My package is with UK customs so hopefully get this week

2 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Did you order the same waist size as you normally would, or give yourself some room?

I ordered the same size that I normally wear.  After reading that they meant for them to be worn as the main garment I wanted to follow that direction.  They do have some elasticity to them but the legs are more tapered and don't have zips at the cuffs.  

On 9/24/2023 at 3:08 PM, jdparker said:

First test completed, and I have to say, I am quite impressed with the ability to repel water and stay dry!  I wore shorts under the pants to test those as well and everything stayed dry.  The pants are meant to be worn as the primary garment but they do have enough elasticity to fit over shorts.  I will try to see if they work over pants but have a feeling that they will be a little snug.  I think the most important thing to note is that, both the pants and jacket seemed to not soak in any water at all and felt almost dry to the touch once I had removed them. 

I plan on actually getting out to the range or course in them on the next rain to test the length that they remain dry, but for an initial test, they pass with flying colors.  

I agree with the rest of the guys, it's going to be a durability test that is important and if they will continue to remain dry over a longer period of time and use.  So, for everyone's enjoyment on a Sunday, here is a video of my son spaying me with a hose. 

Ha, the wife decided to tell me after I posted this that I looked like Dr. Evil..... See if I take her golfing anytime soon.