Golf Channel Programming

CdngolfFan

When GC was born I thought we were going to get content we've never had before.  Insight into how players practice, televised practice rounds with featured groups, televised practice range sessions and short game areas.  I feel like they're struggling for new content and missing the boat on some of the things I've been dying to see.  That might be because (as a Snow Mexican) we don't get ESPN stuff without paying a premium for the channel but I don't know.

Anything else you'd like to see in terms of new content? 

Snow Mexican

Well, as far as I am concerned, GC has gone downhill since they were purchased.  I cant stand Chamblee.  As a once mediocre touring pro, somehow he is now the authority on everything.  Now, they limit how much we see of tournaments.  I watch most of tour events on Sky Sports out of GB, which is the GC feed but, with better commentating. It was much better when Arnie was still alive.

A former plus handicapper who must settle for mid 70s to mid 80 scores today.  After taking 10 years off due to back issues, my driver length has decreased by 40 yards on average.  I look forward to any training aids, shaft improvements, club enhancements to get back part of what was lost.

... The one thing I truly dislike about the GC is how they treat LPGA events. I don't watch the Champions and rarely watch the PGA other than Majors and big field events at a familiar course like the Memorial. Say it's a start time of 3pm for the LPGA but they have the studio covering a PGA or Champions event. If it's a weekday they sometimes stay on the champions/pga for 30 minutes or more, then the talking heads talk about it for another 15 and the LPGA loses 45 minutes of covering actual golf. So instead of the measly 2 hours allowed, we get 1:15 hours of coverage. I don't like it when it happens on Sunday but I at least understand it because it determines a winner, but not Thur-Sat. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
                  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 20* 7 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

On 10/19/2023 at 12:05 PM, RwsGolf1 said:

Well, as far as I am concerned, GC has gone downhill since they were purchased.  I cant stand Chamblee.  As a once mediocre touring pro, somehow he is now the authority on everything.  Now, they limit how much we see of tournaments.  I watch most of tour events on Sky Sports out of GB, which is the GC feed but, with better commentating. It was much better when Arnie was still alive.

Agreed.  They’re following the ESPN model of featuring one loudmouth click-bait performer and the ancillary coverage is just filler. 

Chamblee is controversial and controversy in today’s world means engagement.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Agreed.  They’re following the ESPN model of featuring one loudmouth click-bait performer and the ancillary coverage is just filler. 

In general, I have found sports announcers to be tiresome more than anything. Too much blather. I watch less sports than I used to and when I do watch now, I watch events now with the sound off. Golf with all the commercials has gotten worse. The No Laying Up folks are really vocal about the state of TV golf coverage these days. I see their point. 

image.png.ec65754993cb81a3d0a7d15c70ab8fd1.png  Anyday Maverick Black Ops 7-way

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Fujikura Motore X F3

:PXG:0211 Hybrid 3 19° w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

image.png.0f5b009ff3d83fdae5e2e361f9676226.png DF3 w/BGT Stability ONE Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:titleist-small: Pro V1 

:Clicgear: 3.5+

Tests No Longer in the Bag

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

7 hours ago, bens197 said:

Chamblee and Richie (Wonder) Lerner are terrible.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.0 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
5 Wood: :taylormade-small: Qi10 - Ventus TR Reg
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 9 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

I dropped cable a couple years back and only catch things that come on normal stations these days or will pick it up on a few apps.  Most of the cable channels became cluttered with junk. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

10 minutes ago, jdparker said:

I dropped cable a couple years back and only catch things that come on normal stations these days or will pick it up on a few apps.  Most of the cable channels became cluttered with junk. 

11 minutes ago, jdparker said:

Agreed, 120 channels, I will never watch at about $1/channel a month.  I stream everything at 1/10th the cost.

A former plus handicapper who must settle for mid 70s to mid 80 scores today.  After taking 10 years off due to back issues, my driver length has decreased by 40 yards on average.  I look forward to any training aids, shaft improvements, club enhancements to get back part of what was lost.

• 3 weeks later...

The simple answer is that if you like the content and scheduling promoted by Comcast/NBC then you will like the present GC format. Outside of watching live golf on the GC, I do not watch any of its other scheduled events. For a time Chamblee, along with Duval, McGinnley, and some of the others were great to listen to at the big events as there was some great back and forth between them. Now, whether by choice or being instructed by the producers, discussions tend to be preachy and leaning toward one perspective, which is a complete turn off for me.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons;    Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

35 minutes ago, jolter1 said:

The simple answer is that if you like the content and scheduling promoted by Comcast/NBC then you will like the present GC format. Outside of watching live golf on the GC, I do not watch any of its other scheduled events. For a time Chamblee, along with Duval, McGinnley, and some of the others were great to listen to at the big events as there was some great back and forth between them. Now, whether by choice or being instructed by the producers, discussions tend to be preachy and leaning toward one perspective, which is a complete turn off for me.

Good comment.  You would think that the “Golf Channel” would promote golf and not cut it down.  I do not think any of the current content is positive and I agree that the narrative is not something I want to hear from these individuals.  I want to watch events but, could care less about a players personal life.  Just give me the golf.

4 minutes ago, RwsGolf1 said:

Good comment.  You would think that the “Golf Channel” would promote golf and not cut it down.  I do not think any of the current content is positive and I agree that the narrative is not something I want to hear from these individuals.  I want to watch events but, could care less about a players personal life.  Just give me the golf.

That seems to be the state of TV in general today. There aren’t any news stations that just give you the unbiased news. It’s always their version or take on the events being covered. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym @ 10.5º (Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore TR Stiff)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr 2 @ 14.5º

Driving Iron: Ping iCrossover 17º (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 80 Stiff)

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-P (Fujikura Ventus Blue Graphite 7 Stiff)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 48º, 52º, 56º (TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue)

Putter: Odyssey AI One Jailbird Mini

Ball: Titleist ProV1X, MaxFli Tour X 2023, MaxFli Tour 2023, Titleist AVX

Tested: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 (LINK)

Tested: Titleist Prototype Balls (LINK)

Tested: Stitch Golf SL2 Golf Bag (LINK)

Unofficially Tested: Odyssey One Black (LINK)

Shot Tracking App: Golf Pad GPS

13 minutes ago, PeterHenric said:

That seems to be the state of TV in general today. There aren’t any news stations that just give you the unbiased news. It’s always their version or take on the events being covered. 

Agreed.

• 5 weeks later...

Watching the PNC Championship, which is fun to watch. However, every interview the GC has conducted, no matter who it is, eventually leads the interview back to Tiger and Charlie Woods. I may be out of date but comparing the interviews of the kids you see a remakable difference between them and Charlie. For the most part the young kids of the pros are very respectful of others, while Charlie Woods has that attitude of his fathers where he thinks trash talking with the adults and others is fine. Maybe I grew up during a different time as I raised my child to be respectful to other adults even when it was in jest. I can just imagine what Charlie Nicklaus and Deacon Palmer would have done to their sons if they acted in an inapropriate manner.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons;    Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist