loss of distance with colder weather

On 11/1/2023 at 6:13 AM, BLD7 said:

@Blaine Dyenothing you can do about the yardage loss. The USGA says for every 10 degrees you'll lose 2 yards. Furthermore MGS did a study that showed when playing in temps below 32 degrees you can expect to lose 21 yards. All of this is due to a variety of factors including a lack of ability to compress the ball due to temps, colder air is usually more dense and imparts more drag on the ball than warm air does. Include factors such as additional clothing layers, a firmer ground, and a host of other previously mentioned environmental factors and the fact is the ball flies less and there isn't anything you can do about it outside of clubbing up. As you gain more experience playing in a variety of conditions, you'll adapt more easily to the changes needed for the round. Enjoy the game in all conditions and as much as score is important, have fun playing the game!

Brian

This was the rule I have gone by, but I have noticed this month it doesn’t seem to be a linear relationship. For me, it’s been about 2-3 yards from 70 down to 60, and then 3-4 more from 50 to 60, then about 5-6 more in the 40s. I have a launch monitor I can warm up with and see what my distances are for that day, and I have also seen that the loss is less pronounced on shorter clubs, since they compress the ball less. When I played last week in the low to mid 40s, I was losing 12-15 yards in the irons and around 20 with the driver. Keep in mind, that’s carry. You may get some offset with the harder ground, but the grass is sometimes shaggier as well.

After reading everybody’s tips, though, I need to start carrying a hand warmer for my ball. That’s clever.

Edited by MuniGolfer

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

12 minutes ago, MuniGolfer said:

This was the rule I have gone by, but I have noticed this month it doesn’t seem to be a linear relationship. For me, it’s been about 2-3 yards from 70 down to 60, and then 3-4 more from 50 to 60, then about 5-6 more in the 40s. I have a launch monitor I can warm up with and see what my distances are for that day, and I have also seen that the loss is less pronounced on shorter clubs, since they compress the ball less. When I played last week in the low to mid 40s, I was losing 12-15 yards in the irons and around 20 with the driver. Keep in mind, that’s carry. You may get some offset with the harder ground, but the grass is sometimes shaggier as well.

After reading everybody’s tips, though, I need to start carrying a hand warmer for my ball. That’s clever.

I’m glad to hear you like my cheat code with the hand warmers. Certainly helps on the drives. I usually rotate 3 balls. That way every third hole is a toasty ball that out drives your friends. They will never know.😉

Love & Live 4 Golf

On 11/1/2023 at 9:39 AM, PJVicary said:

The other alternative my better half suggested is “don’t play stupid”, but then again, she’s not a golfer.

At the beginning of every round I say to myself, “Don’t play stupid.”

When I whine about going out in cold weather my wife will say, “Don’t play, Stupid!”

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

When the temps drop below 45 I usually soak 3 balls in large mug of hot water about an hour before I head out. Then as others have mentioned I rotate then each hole. 1 out and 2 in a pocket. Not sure about the loss of distance but I do notice when I warm them before my round they feel softer when I hit and not  like a rock.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

• 1 month later...

I tried the keeping some extra balls warm in my pocket trick you guys mentioned, switching on each tee. It was 48 degrees, around the same temp I played last time when I noticed around 12-15 yards distance loss. Well, I noticed a difference. Definitely in feel, the balls felt like they compressed easier and felt softer, and I tracked the distance difference. I noticed similar distance to my average driver distance, maybe a few yards but within my normal averages, and only about 5-7 yards loss on approach with more spin. Saw almost no loss on par 3 tee shots. Sort of like the driver, maybe a few yards, but in a normal average range. Made a huge difference in my play.

It’s always so cool the things you learn and discover on this forum. It’s probably the best thing about being a member here. Thanks all!

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5