Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver shaft weight issues

Currently I have a Tensei 1k White 60x shaft for my driver. Swing speed is between 110-115 so I know I can hit it, and hit it well when I feel it load. But there is the problem, the feeling of it loading. I went out and tried to find a driver shaft that was still x-stiff but lighter, and could not find one. I did test out a tensei blue shaft that was stiff flex and was the same weight as mine, but also didn't always feel it loading. the place I went to had an older Aldila Tour ATX 58 gram stiff shaft and I felt it load every time. I'm not trying to break the bank, but does anyone know any company that has a x-stiff shaft that is lighter than the 60x, which is probably closer to 67-68 grams? that lighter shaft I was swinging 117 on average and had one swing when I went after it hit 121, but it would not have been in the fairway on the course. Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

10 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

Currently I have a Tensei 1k White 60x shaft for my driver. Swing speed is between 110-115 so I know I can hit it, and hit it well when I feel it load. But there is the problem, the feeling of it loading. I went out and tried to find a driver shaft that was still x-stiff but lighter, and could not find one. I did test out a tensei blue shaft that was stiff flex and was the same weight as mine, but also didn't always feel it loading. the place I went to had an older Aldila Tour ATX 58 gram stiff shaft and I felt it load every time. I'm not trying to break the bank, but does anyone know any company that has a x-stiff shaft that is lighter than the 60x, which is probably closer to 67-68 grams? that lighter shaft I was swinging 117 on average and had one swing when I went after it hit 121, but it would not have been in the fairway on the course. Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.

Unfortunately flexes change across brands so x in one isn't necessarily an x in another. Then profiles make things even more crazy.

I'll going to be testing and trying the new Newton shafts. I'll update you on that. They are only 250 and in the 65 gram category. 

I also had a 60 gram x flex project x yellow. However this is a CB shaft do not for everyone.

Any chance you can demo a few others and then if you find that magic one you can either save for it or find one used?

Going to tag @GolfSpy_BEN and @GolfSpy_BNG as they are more shaft experts then me. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Unfortunately the only golf stores around me are not the greatest with having a lot of inventory to test, unless I go back and get refit at club champion or go to golf galaxy. Paying to get fit then paying for a new shaft from club champion is expensive and would not recommend unless it's the only option you have. Overly pushy to get you to buy from them as well. I've found Dallas golf online and they have a multitude of different shafts, but it's difficult to find weight on those unless you click on them to read specs. Would just love to find someone who knows and pick their brain. I don't know cause I'm clueless.

Ping Prime Tyne 4

The answer you’ll see the most in questions such as these is “go get fit” My answer to that is: Well, yeah of course. 

That being said, there is nothing wrong with crowdsourcing for info or starting points.

Not knowing your swing or budget, I’d say take a look at second hand Fujikura Ventus Black 5 (58 grams) that comes in an X or Black TR 5 (60 grams) that comes in an X. 

Good luck in your search😁

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

46 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BEN said:

The answer you’ll see the most in questions such as these is “go get fit” My answer to that is: Well, yeah of course. 

That being said, there is nothing wrong with crowdsourcing for info or starting points.

Not knowing your swing or budget, I’d say take a look at second hand Fujikura Ventus Black 5 (58 grams) that comes in an X or Black TR 5 (60 grams) that comes in an X. 

Good luck in your search😁

These are great options and you can also get a lot of the Graphite Design Tour AD shafts in 50 weights in "X"

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I don't think I have ever hit a graphite design shaft. I'm going to continue looking as well, just not wanting to spend 300+ on a new shaft but will if I have too

Ping Prime Tyne 4

1 minute ago, Wheelieb said:

I don't think I have ever hit a graphite design shaft. I'm going to continue looking as well, just not wanting to spend 300+ on a new shaft but will if I have too

What driver do you have?  

Currently I have a Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, but I will be switching to the Paradym from last year in a few days. The Paradym is the one I was hitting 117 with. but I also gained an average of 10 yards with it vs my Rogue.

Ping Prime Tyne 4

12 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

Currently I have a Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, but I will be switching to the Paradym from last year in a few days. The Paradym is the one I was hitting 117 with. but I also gained an average of 10 yards with it vs my Rogue.

Check the Callaway pre owned.  They are always having deals. I have picked up several just over $100 

I can call my sales rep and see when the next big sale is. 

8 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Check the Callaway pre owned.  They are always having deals. I have picked up several just over $100 

I can call my sales rep and see when the next big sale is. 

I'm assuming you mean shafts and not the driver head...hahaha. I know they have a pre owned site, just didn't know they sell shafts on it too

Ping Prime Tyne 4

3 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

I'm assuming you mean shafts and not the driver head...hahaha. I know they have a pre owned site, just didn't know they sell shafts on it too

Yes sir. They sell just shafts as well. 

3 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

They do in fact sell shafts on the pre-owned site. With Callaway adapters installed and they run some good deals as well

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

I am looking at them now since I just went and found them on the site. Going to see what I can find that would be lighter than what I have even if it's only 5 grams lighter. Thank you for this bit of info. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

2 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

I am looking at them now since I just went and found them on the site. Going to see what I can find that would be lighter than what I have even if it's only 5 grams lighter. Thank you for this bit of info. 

For sure!  Happy hunting. 

2 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

Unfortunately the only golf stores around me are not the greatest with having a lot of inventory to test, unless I go back and get refit at club champion or go to golf galaxy. Paying to get fit then paying for a new shaft from club champion is expensive and would not recommend unless it's the only option you have. Overly pushy to get you to buy from them as well. I've found Dallas golf online and they have a multitude of different shafts, but it's difficult to find weight on those unless you click on them to read specs. Would just love to find someone who knows and pick their brain. I don't know cause I'm clueless.

The issue is even if someone knows they can’t tell you how the feel will be for you and how that feel will translate into performance.

The linear design of the Tensei 1k might not be a fit for you.

as mentioned above you can’t compete flex across brands. You can’t even compare them across the same manufacturer in different lines sick and tensei white 1k and the black 1k.

Gold galaxy isn’t going to have a wide range of shafts. You probably aren’t going to find a light weigh x flex shaft and probably really don’t want to. The 60g class is probably the lowest you want to go.

Then it’s finding the right profile which is going to come from either testing a bunch of shafts or getting fit.

If you choose club champion tell them you aren’t buying. 

Do you remember what version of the arc shaft you hit? Iirc they came in blue and green

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The issue is even if someone knows they can’t tell you how the feel will be for you and how that feel will translate into performance.

The linear design of the Tensei 1k might not be a fit for you.

as mentioned above you can’t compete flex across brands. You can’t even compare them across the same manufacturer in different lines sick and tensei white 1k and the black 1k.

Gold galaxy isn’t going to have a wide range of shafts. You probably aren’t going to find a light weigh x flex shaft and probably really don’t want to. The 60g class is probably the lowest you want to go.

Then it’s finding the right profile which is going to come from either testing a bunch of shafts or getting fit.

If you choose club champion tell them you aren’t buying. 

Do you remember what version of the arc shaft you hit? Iirc they came in blue and green

Not gonna pull your chain and try to tell you version because I am not sure what you mean by arc shaft or lirc. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

Without seeing your swing it’s a crap shoot. It’s a load issue. You may swing 117 and most online will say you should be x-stiff and perhaps even tipped. The problem is without seeing your swing we have no clue if you are a heavy loader of the shaft or not. Many different ways to get to that swing speed and you may in fact not be a heavy loader and therefore can get by with stiff or stiff tipped slightly. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Without seeing your swing it’s a crap shoot. It’s a load issue. You may swing 117 and most online will say you should be x-stiff and perhaps even tipped. The problem is without seeing your swing we have no clue if you are a heavy loader of the shaft or not. Many different ways to get to that swing speed and you may in fact not be a heavy loader and therefore can get by with stiff or stiff tipped slightly. 

To be fair, my back swing is like Ian from TXG, well now Club Champion, youtube channel. I feel like its quick but it's actually not, if you have seen his back swing mine is probably a tad slower than his but not by much.

Ping Prime Tyne 4

57 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

Not gonna pull your chain and try to tell you version because I am not sure what you mean by arc shaft or lirc. 

That’s supposed to be ATX. Iirc is if I remember correctly.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

42 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

To be fair, my back swing is like Ian from TXG, well now Club Champion, youtube channel. I feel like its quick but it's actually not, if you have seen his back swing mine is probably a tad slower than his but not by much.

Really doesn’t mean much. Two people could have the same looking swing but how the body moves. How much force one applies in the swing could be different.

Yes a fitter is going to look at that but it’s going to come down to ball flight, what the golfer feels and how that is affecting the swing if at all.

44 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

That doesn’t help much. Actually seeing how hard you pull on the handle is what’s needed to even have a clue. You may think you swing like you do when your feels may be different than the actual swing. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s supposed to be ATX. Iirc is if I remember correctly.

Ooohhh, got ya. It was the Blue ATX

Ping Prime Tyne 4

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

That doesn’t help much. Actually seeing how hard you pull on the handle is what’s needed to even have a clue. You may think you swing like you do when your feels may be different than the actual swing. 

I have had someone tell me I had no tempo before because of my slow backswing and my transition is so quick

Ping Prime Tyne 4

2 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

Ooohhh, got ya. It was the Blue ATX

You could try to find that shaft or look for the Aldila tour blue non atx.

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You could try to find that shaft or look for the Aldila tour blue non atx.

I did like that Blue ATX shaft though. only thing I didn't like about it was it had an oversized grip on it which is really weird to swing when you use a standard size grip

Ping Prime Tyne 4

5 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Yes sir. They sell just shafts as well. 

I bought a used Tensei blue that was apparently a demo shaft from an epic flash from the Callaway used shop. If it wasn't for the sticker just under the grip you wouldn't have been able to tell it was used. I didn't even need to change the grip. And the price was great.  Highly recommend if you see the shaft you want

image.png.596eab9904a0e99486a09cdb92500ced.png AeroJet LS 10.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65g Stiff-Flex

image.png.dbc730be382654e44c7d2a48fa6eed67.pngJPX-850 5W 16* Fujikura Motore Tour Spec 6.3 Stiff-Flex

image.png.9454767fdf9faf9965f7cd6c94d1c24a.png 0317X Gen4 2-Hybrid 17* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75g Stiff-Flex or

image.png.2d0afd9b0ffa1e8a1d0b6c08ac8f37c7.png 0211 3-Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75g Stiff-Flex

image.png.e9d9c096f6e44154c947eaa8b0bd6541.pngPro 223 4-Iron Nippon Shafts Pro Modus3 Tour 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.3ec41f28452096d8fcdde969774ec768.pngMP-20 MMC 5-PW LA Golf Tour AXS Blue 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.ea5de508878d729c6e26f45fb78d76fb.pngPro 223 GW 52* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 105g Stiff-Flex

image.png.25dc4d61c6e70541d98a681e1fade611.pngMG3 56* SB12 & 60* SB10 True Temper Dynamic Gold S400W

image.png.b81b08ab505111827d8b0cdc1bb93d14.pngWorks Big T Blade 350g Super Stroke Fatso 5.0 counterbalanced grip 

image.png.8c023ed39f083a2d0f865ee72c27c8d2.pngAcross the board

Tensei Blue is the way to go I think.  I switched over to the 75g version last year and I love it.  It really changed my flight path and I feel my swing is significantly better.

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"

3 hours ago, LinksgolfFever said:

Tensei Blue is the way to go I think.  I switched over to the 75g version last year and I love it.  It really changed my flight path and I feel my swing is significantly better.

I get what you are saying, however, I already have a shaft that is 68 grams but can’t feel it load. The lighter shafts I do. 75 gram shaft wouldn’t be for me. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

The Tensei blue is available in 65 and 55g weights as well.  Good luck on your search.

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"

53 minutes ago, LinksgolfFever said:

The Tensei blue is available in 65 and 55g weights as well.  Good luck on your search.

I hear ya, if i could find one that was used and not as expensive I'll look into it. I'm just not wanting to pay another 200+ to try a new driver shaft. I also don't want to go pay to get fit again

Ping Prime Tyne 4