Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driving irons, what are your experiences good and bad

1 hour ago, chris_ said:

I cannot hit them, especially the Pings. Me and Ping irons of any sort just don't seem to get along. But I can hit a standard long iron fairly decently. I use a TMB 3 iron bent strong currently. I like it a lot. 

Yeah funny for me I couldn't hit one of those PING Crossovers to save my life  but a regular super game improvement iron is my jam!! I probably hit near 90% of fairways with that strong lofted Cobra Rad Speed 4 iron which is an insane 19° iron but the Crossovers uuum no and iam a PING fan

WITB

Driver is PING G430 MAX 10K 9° W/VENTUS BLACK 44.5"  TOUR VELVET GRIP

3 WOOD TAYLORMADE M2 15° W/ADDI BB TOUR VELVET GRIP

IRONS PING G410 4 AND 5 IRON W/X100 

IRONS 6-9 PING I200 W/X100 

WEDGES TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48° CHROME

VOKEY 52°  56° AND 60 ALL IN CHROME FINISH WITH DYNAMIC GOLD AND MCC+4 GRIPS

SCOTTY CAMERON TOUR RAT GSS 350G MATADOR GRIP

SUN MOUNTAIN C-130 CART BAG NIKON LASER 

TITLEIST PRO V 1

I’m still testing mine out. Like others have said if you have the swing speed for it can be a weapon on the course. Shaft type and profile makes a big difference as well. My driving Iron came with a steel DG S400 and I hated it. Once I upgraded it to a graphite KBS tour prototype shaft It was night and day. I don’t keep it in the bad for every round but have a few courses around me where it has its place. 

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

4 hours ago, Swood1994 said:

I’m still testing mine out. Like others have said if you have the swing speed for it can be a weapon on the course. Shaft type and profile makes a big difference as well. My driving Iron came with a steel DG S400 and I hated it. Once I upgraded it to a graphite KBS tour prototype shaft It was night and day. I don’t keep it in the bad for every round but have a few courses around me where it has its place. 

So true!! The strong 4 iron I carry had a C Taper lite in it and it was no good for me I put a Nippon Modus 120 in it and I hardly ever miss. It seems the lower the loft in these irons the more the shaft has to be ideal for the swing.

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

11 hours ago, Marlin Dave said:

So true!! The strong 4 iron I carry had a C Taper lite in it and it was no good for me I put a Nippon Modus 120 in it and I hardly ever miss. It seems the lower the loft in these irons the more the shaft has to be ideal for the swing.

Going to a graphite shaft changed everything about the TMB I'm hitting. the MMT 105TX is awesome. Better than any made for iron shaft I've hit except the TD

10 hours ago, chris_ said:

Going to a graphite shaft changed everything about the TMB I'm hitting. the MMT 105TX is awesome. Better than any made for iron shaft I've hit except the TD

The shaft market is exploding and they really have something for everyone. Have you seen these??? For a cool $484 dollar upgrade your driver can have one!! Or they can shaft your irons for like 1500 no biggie right??? 

Screenshot_20240212_155021_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240212_155108_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20240212_155056_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240212_155033_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240212_155008_Chrome.jpg

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

How much do those who use a DI (need to add that to the abbreviation thread) find the shaft is just critically important?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 2/15/2024 at 1:34 AM, Marlin Dave said:

Yeah funny for me I couldn't hit one of those PING Crossovers to save my life  but a regular super game improvement iron is my jam!! I probably hit near 90% of fairways with that strong lofted Cobra Rad Speed 4 iron which is an insane 19° iron but the Crossovers uuum no and iam a PING fan

You think it's the look at address of the Ping Crossover? I've always loved the idea of a driving iron, but I'm not sure where it would fit in my current game.

I'm in the market for new irons so I might have to have a look at the Cobra's. 4-I off the tee is my go to when the driver is misbehaving.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

I don't generate enough swing speed to use a UDI effectively. I'm a big believer in hybrids. I recently upgraded almost my entire bag. My last setup, my longest iron was a 7.  Now I'm carrying a 6. That's about as long as care to go with an iron, as my consistency seems to drop off quickly after that.  

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen6 TT Riptide CB 60 s

3 Wood: Ping G430 max Alta CB 65 s

Hybrids: Ping G430 19, 22, 26 Alta CB 70 s

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 forged 6-Gap TT DG 105 s

Wedges: Mizuno S23 54, 58 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron SS Golo 6.5

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

Electronics: Bushnell Tour V6 shift, Golf Buddy aim 11  

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

How much do those who use a DI (need to add that to the abbreviation thread) find the shaft is just critically important?

I think it's just as important as any club in the bag having the right shaft.  I ended up putting my DI to the side currently because we haven't been getting along.  I tried sub70 out and the head design/turf interaction hasn't been consistent.  I think I am going to go with the Srixon DI to match my set as I am comfortable with the clubs but I will choose the same shaft as my irons.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

When I first got my Cobra DI, it had an MMT Hybrid shaft in it that I just never got along with. Felt way too active in the butt section, and was ballooning the ball. Switched to a Project X HZRDUS Black and it was night and day. Immediately felt more stable through the swing, and the ball flight is an order of magnitude better, just sends piercing missiles down the fairways now.

Edited by Fongle

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

I have a PXG driving iron and on narrow fairways it’s the way to go.

get great distance out of it and avoid me from getting into trouble.

66 retired airline captain loves tennis and golf.

living on a golf course is living the dream

I use the U505 2 iron, it’s my first driving iron and it has a couple purposes. There’s the dirty 230-245 range from the fairway on a par 5 and there’s the rare tee shot when it’s narrow but requires some gas. 

I’m happy with it. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Used one in UK when I was there for a year. Now back in CAD and should have it back. I have 3 holes on my course I’d use it. 

2013 Scotty Cameron black blade (32 1/4) 

52,56,60 Vokey Wedges 

5-PW 2023 Taylormade MC

GAPR 4hybrid 

GAPR 3hybrid 

2023 Taylormade stealth 

I play a Callaway driving iron because it has improved my dispersion. As a result, it quickly became one of my favorite clubs. It’s largely point-and-shoot as long as I make a good swing. 

• TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S
  • TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
  • Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
  • Srixon 4-AW Nippon Modus 3 105 R
  • Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
  • Titleist Pro V1
  • Arccos Gen 3 sensors

I am vacillating between a SIM2 Rescue 19.5° and a GAPR Mid 18°. The beauty of this Is they use the same adaptor sleeve, so I can have the other head in the bag and swap on the range. The Rescue is higher and perhaps more forgiving, but the GAPR with the flat face is straighter. 

I’m finding it is course conditions and swing conditions to be the determining factor. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I can't say enough good things about my Titleist U505 3 iron, i hit it well out out a lot of lies and it goes straight.  And it is a weapon off the tee.  I will say they U505 doesn't have the lowest trajectory, but it is so easy to hit.  Even my 14 y/o son loves to hit it.  The previous model can be had for a decent price used.  

Matt

I appreciate a driving iron for this exact reason. If I miss-hit a driving iron, my ball is usually still in play. With a fairway or hybrid, my ball is more likely to be out of play. I use a driving iron on tight par fours and, at times, long par threes. I can work it from 210 to 230 yards. 

I also don't change my swing between a fairway or a driving iron. I mimic my fairway wood swing with a driving iron. I've found Ping and Srixon make excellent driving irons. Today's driving irons are technologically closer to a hybrid than the 1-irons of twenty years ago. 

Driver: Titleist TSi 2 - 10.5

Fairway: Titleist TSi 2 - 16.5

Driving Iron: Srixon ZX - 18.0

Irons: Srixon ZX5 - 4i-AW

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 - 52 & 58

Putter: Evnroll ER2B

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Currently playing a 2024 Callaway apex UT 2 iron with a Ventus HB10TX black. Absolutely in love with when driver isn't needed. I have always struggled hitting hybrids too high and left. Driving irons are something that I will at least have as an option to have in the bag all the time, might swap between it and a 5 wood depending on the course. 

Taylor Made Qi10 LS - 8* set to 6* - Ventus TR black 7x

Taylor Made Qi10 Tour 3 wood - Ventus TR black 8x

Callaway Apex UT 2024 18* - Ventus black HB10TX

Callaway Apex pro 2024 - Project X LS 6.5 4-PW

Callaway Jaws Raw - 50, 54, 58 - project X LS 6.5

Odyssey Jailbird 380 

Do any of you folks have Takomo 101U? Any recommendations or comparison to Ping Crossover / Titleist U505 / Cobra King Tec Utility etc.

The price looks very attractive and the normal irons have been getting really good feedback

image.png.a1948ef17c809b8e0e18fc69c138d4e4.png

• Ping i25 driver - Aldila NVS 65 Stiff
  • Cobra Aerojet 5w - MCA Kai'li Blue 60 Stiff
  • Cobra LTDx 4h - KBS PGI 85 Stiff
  • TaylorMade P790 5-PW - KBS Tour Lite Stiff
  • Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP 50° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
  • Wilson Staff Model 56° - Dynamic Gold 120 S300
  • JAG Blade Putter (Finnish microbrand)

I have purchased driving irons twice in the past 5 years.  They have not worked out for me as I am now a senior and these clubs require high club head speed to be effective.  They launch low so with swing speeds in the mid ranges they may not be optimal.  Every time I get "optimistic" I put one in the bag just to switch back to a hybrid within days.   I always think they will be good for tee shots on short tight par fours but the drop off in distance compared to a 5-wood or even a hybrid negates any accuracy advantage.  The same holds for long par threes.  If I can get 220 or 230 out of these clubs they may provide an advantage but at 180-200 they serve little purpose and they are not advantageous off the turf.  If you have the speed more power to you however for the mid-range speed or senior players be ready to trade or sell at a loss.

I’m sure this is echoing a lot of what’s been said already - I see my driving iron as a “condition specific” club. I built a Srixon 2i with a 6.5 project x HZRDUS shaft so it’s a tee shot only club for me. Ball flight not great for going for a par 5. If I feel like I need a low, running ball to find a fairway or it’s super windy, I’ll throw it in and pull my 5w out. It’s a good club to have in your arsenal. 

Driver: Stealth 2+ 

3w: Stealth 2+ 

5w: Titleist 917 F2

Irons: 4i P790, 5-pw New Level 902-PD

Wedges: SM9 50, 54, 58

Putter: 2020 Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

I have a few golf buddies that question why one of my 14 clubs is a Titleist 2iron.  I use it on some longer par 3's and have had more luck with that then anything else in hitting the green.  

I also use on days when my driver and I are not on speaking terms.  I can hit it anywhere from 190 to 210, so while I give up some distance it's not much and if it puts it in the fairway all the better.

BigMacQue
Titleist Driver and Hybrid
Titleist T400 Irons, 5-GW
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood and Cleveland 10.5C HB Soft Putter
Titleist Tour Soft

I love my driving iron. For anyone who has a good long iron game it's a great addition to the bag. Play mine off the tee on shorter par 4's and out of the fairway if it sets up right. Out of the fairway it's not the safest play for me. As long as you put a decent strike on I find mine decently forgiving off the tee, off the dirt not forgiving at all. I will add, I've had some buddies hit mine and hate it. I think they suit higher swing speeds and higher ball flights. 

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I don't agree with the people who say that the shaft is the most important, but I will agree that it is just as important. I have hit a bunch of strictly DI heads that I just don't get along with, even those tested by MGS and listed as cheat codes. The enormous heads on the U510 and others just feel weird and unwieldy. I got a 95X DI TD shaft that I thought was pretty cool, but I felt I hit the MMT the same or possibly even better. I hit any of them wildly better than steel, but I don't seem to get along with the HZRDS and the like in irons. I either really suck or am just super particular. Either way, I am really happy with the TMB 718 3 iron I am hitting now with the MMT 105tx. I carry it as a 15th or desert club. If I was to stop carrying a 7 wood, I would buy a 770 3 iron to match my set. 

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Absolutely in my opinion the most important part of any club

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

35 minutes ago, BigMacQue said:

I have a few golf buddies that question why one of my 14 clubs is a Titleist 2iron.  I use it on some longer par 3's and have had more luck with that then anything else in hitting the green.  

I also use on days when my driver and I are not on speaking terms.  I can hit it anywhere from 190 to 210, so while I give up some distance it's not much and if it puts it in the fairway all the better.

I carry two 4 irons so my bag only has Driver and 3 wood I get asked all the time why?? They stop asking if we play together! I play with alot of guys in their fifties and sixties and they want to play blue or white tees and so most par 4s are only in the 400yd max range. If I hit driver on most I face shots of 60 to 100 yds in and that is no good to me. I want a full swing on my approach do the strong 4 to me is the ultimate play.  I hit it roughly 240 so that leaves me with great yardage 100 to 160 range to the pin. I am very accurate with it and by adding it I get a ton of questions just like you and I hit a ton of greens with good full swings into the green. It has taken me from a 13 a year and a half ago to a 10 and I should easily see 8 by fall. I will gladly answer all their questions but would prefer to just show them!!

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

On 2/5/2024 at 1:16 PM, higherplane said:

Recently played golf in Arizona.  Courses had high tee shots off hills to fairways below, with seemingly thin landing areas.  Being the traveler and playing with good golfing locals, was only one without a driving iron.   I tried hitting 3 wood and driver but shots were towering and lucky to his fairway, also tried hybrid but again towering although slightly better controlled.   Driving iron looked to limit dispersion and had lower trajectory.  Thoughts?            

Over the last two-plus decades, I have played a variety of "driving irons", from the Mizuno FliHi models to several different DIs from New Level, Sub 70 Golf and a number of Tour Edge Exotics DIs.  My current favorite is the Tour Edge Exotics C722 Ti Utility with a 19* loft -- https://www.touredge.com/c722tiutility

I got my C722 Ti Utility with the Ventus Blue 8S (86 gram) shaft, but have since pulled that shaft and installed a Ventus VeloCore Blue 7R, tipped 3/4" (the stock Tour Edge Ventus Blue shaft was a "made for" non-VeloCore model).  I don't always have this club in my bag, but I often put it in the bag in place of a 3 or 4 hybrid or a 7-wood when I am playing short, tight courses, or on my winter golf tour when we are playing on frozen or semi-frozen turf.  I hit nice medium to medium-low "bullets" about 200-205 yards with it, and on frozen turf, I have had my tee shots run-out to 250 yards or more when hitting this club.

At age 74 (75 next month), it is nice to be able to hit low "stingers" with very nice carry distance and plenty of run-out on fast and hard or frozen fairways, and this Tour Edge Exotics Ti Utility gives me just that. Plus, I almost never miss the fairway when hitting it.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!