Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Wedge Stamping, Let's Talk About It

I am wanting to add another skill to my resume, and I'm looking for some insight from those who have done this themselves. I already have a cheaper set of steel stamps and a bench vise, but I am considering upgrading some things so I can really dive in. The stamps I have aren't S-tier, I bought them on a whim a few years back to see if it was something I'd be interested in doing. I stamped an old wedge I had lying around and as it turns out, I need some practice... lots of it. So, here are some questions I have:

• Are there any stamp brands you recommend (CH Hanson, Young Bros, other?)
  • Thoughts on the magnetic steel block versus a vice and double sided tape?
  • Aside from old wedges, did you practice on anything else beforehand?

Feel free to share any tips, recommendations, or general knowledge you have on the matter. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

• 4 weeks later...

I bought some wedge stamps so I could add wedge stamping to my offerings as well for my small club building business and i gotta say.........i don't really like it.  Maybe it's just that i need to practice it more, but i can't seem to really consistently make it work.  And there's really no margin for error when it comes to stamping, so it just doesn't seem like the risk is worth the reward.  I use a 4 pound mini sledge hammer (maybe i need a heavier hammer) and have 3mm and 4mm stamps......and i just use double sided tape and the anvil on my vice which isn't very big.  I don't know, i'm just not really into it as a business offering 

Owner of Sickstix in Spokane, WA 

Driver = TaylorMade Stealth 9 degree with Ventus Velocore TR Red 6S

3W = TaylorMade Sim2 Max w/HZRDUS black smoke 6.0 

Irons = 2021 TaylorMade P790s 4-PW w/KBS Tour V 110 shafts 

Wedges = 50 and 56 degree TaylorMade MG3, 60 degree Mizuno T20 satin 

Harbor freight makes a small press that will hold the club and control the way you press into the club

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=press 

there is a one ton option or a floor model at 12 ton.  for $100 buck more the floor model would be my choice. 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I tried it a few times with not much success. I'm sure it's a technique issue, but I just can't seem to get the punch deep enough into the club. I sort of get a portion of the punch shape, but rarely the entire outline. Anthony Taranto's job marked safe today!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

So I've done this a fair bit and I like it. It's not easy and when you screw up, there isn't much you can do about it. I've seen the big magnets, but for how often I do it, it's just not worth the money. I would suggest laying out some tape as a straight edge and that seemed to help a bit. I've thought about doing a sticker or something that I could use to make a pattern, but I haven't gone too far down that road as of yet. 

I got my block and a set of stamps from here https://www.clubstamping.com/ I read a lot places don't make stamps hard enough to get into the wedge and I've never had an issue with these. I don't love the text style, but I could purchase some more from somewhere else. 

It's a lot of fun and rewarding, but man it's stressful. Seeing what guys like Taranto and Dill do, just amazes me. 

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Weston Maughan is a boutique putter maker and has some really helpful tips and videos on his Instagram. I recently stamped a putter and definitely would have made some mistakes had I not watched a bunch of his stuff!

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

58 minutes ago, Nick_D said:

Weston Maughan is a boutique putter maker and has some really helpful tips and videos on his Instagram. I recently stamped a putter and definitely would have made some mistakes had I not watched a bunch of his stuff!

Right on! I'll give him a watch. The customization/restoration side of golf is something that I'd love to get into more.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

An area of the game and golf club building I am not too familiar with, but would love to learn more. Now that I have a workshop I think I am going to get a kit and get started!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I think wedge stamping is such a cool part of the "new era" of golf. I really wanted to get stamps on my new wedges, but couldn't justify spending nearly the price of another wedge on it. 

Potentially will do some after-market stamping if I can find a good deal. Similar to @GolfSpy_APH, I'm not overly familiar with it, but would love to learn more.

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425  Max 9.0º, Graphite Design Tour AD VR-6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º, Ventus Red 7S, image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR1 5 wood 18º, Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW Blue 65S

Driving Iron: image.png G425 Crossover 2-iron 18º, Aldila Rogue 95TS Graphite 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball: image.png.52cb58764bddc9c00ba3060db6a87cc7.png Tour B XS

I think it looks cool, and have to say it looks extremely tedious to accomplish. 

I will never dive into this, as combined precision and patience is not my forte.( It's one or the other for me)

The part I would be afraid of the most is damaging ANY other part of the club head.

Would dremel etching using a template be a more suitable alternative?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Personally I really like it.  Handstamping is not an exact science so as long as you can get it deep enough I wouldn't worry too much about spacing or alignment.  

I haven't stamped yet, but I have used acrylic paints to change the color of the numbers and it worked well and lasted a long time.  Tarantino has been pretty forthcoming with info on the process on his Instagram.   

It's the equipment,not the player....totally convinced.