Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Shoot Your Age Thread-Tell Us All About It

Golfspy_CG2

Buddy of mine needed a birdie on #18, a par 5, to shoot his age for the first time this past Wednesday. He didn’t get it, but he will one day. OTOH I don’t think I’ll ever shoot my age (came within 3 once last Summer), or get a second hole in one…

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

Is there a Guinness record for shooting your age?

Not me, but we have a member at our course that has done it over 2,000 times.

He's now 93 and plays off a 17. 

Callaway Epic D/3W

Callaway Epic Hybrid (3,4)

Callaway Rogue Hybrid (5)

Callaway AI Smoke Irons (7,8,9,P,A)

Callaway Opus Wedges (Chrome,S Grind,10d 50,54,58)

I've done it so many times it seems odd when I don't. The first time was 14 years ago when I was 64 and then it was a big deal. Now that I'm 78 I don't even think about it. I play often with good players that hit the ball much further than I do but I enjoy just trying to keep up. Golf certainly can teach you humility especially when you realize how old age affects your play. The guys here don't let you play the senior tees until your 80 but then they better watch out. HA

• 2 weeks later...

Well im 45 and can easily shoot tha on 9 holes but sorry to say theres probably not a person alive gonna shoot 45 on 18. I was happy with the 44 on the fron and 39 on the back at Legendary run yesterday. One of my hardeat courses i play. I generally struggle to break 90 here but 83 is awesome for me. So the closest to my age would be my lowest score ive ever shot which is 77.

Love my apex irons and my brnr mini. Still fighting for par. Hitem straight...

On 8/29/2024 at 7:42 AM, golfjunky79 said:

Well im 45 and can easily shoot tha on 9 holes but sorry to say theres probably not a person alive gonna shoot 45 on 18. I was happy with the 44 on the fron and 39 on the back at Legendary run yesterday. One of my hardeat courses i play. I generally struggle to break 90 here but 83 is awesome for me. So the closest to my age would be my lowest score ive ever shot which is 77.

Keep after it , I did it last year at 72 , haven’t played that well since , I shot 70 at age 69 - 71 at age 70 then finally hit the right age and number 😂

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

So I have to ask, does a two man scramble count? We really ham and egged it, I hit bad, my partner hit it well. If he hit poorly then I hit it well. Together we shot a one over 73. Close enough for me! 
I have had great 9 hole scores but can’t seem to hold it together for the back nine. But I’m happy with shooting 37-39 on the front, just have to stay focused on the back and not get 43-48. One day I will make it happen.

Callaway guy all the way!

I finally did it last weekend. A feat that I thought I would have to be older to achieve. It was a day I’ll never forget. Everything was working in harmony. Drives were long and right where I needed them. Approaches were all over the pins and the putts were falling. I’m 65 and shot a 63. 
Probably never do it again but it sure was fun. Best part I didn’t realize until going to the 17th tee when somebody said something. Great, just let me finish the last two holes with pars.

17 was a par three and I missed the green by 2 feet. Chipped within a foot and tapped in for par.

Then came the approach shot on 18. A par 5. Waiting for you to attempt getting on in two. No not today, play safe. I layed up to 80 yards. Don’t think about the river in front of you with an island green waiting for you on the other side. With heart pounding, hands shaking a bit,  a beautiful practice swing.  Now just do that again. Not so. A slight chunk but the ball was up and landed safely on the green. Okay just two putt. First putt was a 35 footer. The ball was under way and finished up 2 feet from the hole. A shaky final putt but it found its way to the bottom of the cup for nine under par.

Made the clubs news letter.

IMG_1037.jpeg.c510124da23da59bae2cffe37bb72bc3.jpeg

Edited by Tom the Golf Nut
Added photo

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I’m 65 and shot a 63. 

Wow!! Congrats on that!!! 👏👏👏

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

First time I shot my age, I was 74. I needed a bogey on the par 5 16th. I missed green with 3rd 😞 However, I then chipped in for a birdie and a 72 🙂

Since then I think I may have shot my age or better every year. Now at 84 more often. With 11 hcp, I have to shoot my age! 

My goal in recent years was to break 80. Did that at least once up until last year. Not this season so far. Shooting age is now a more realistic goal! Alternate between 6300yd and 6000yd tees. (Doesn't make much diference because extra length is on par 5s.)

Many of the guys I play with are about 15 years younger. Some of them say they are trying to shoot MY age 🙂

44 minutes ago, FreeAgent said:

First time I shot my age, I was 74. I needed a bogey on the par 5 16th. I missed green with 3rd 😞 However, I then chipped in for a birdie and a 72 🙂

Since then I think I may have shot my age or better every year. Now at 84 more often. With 11 hcp, I have to shoot my age! 

My goal in recent years was to break 80. Did that at least once up until last year. Not this season so far. Shooting age is now a more realistic goal! Alternate between 6300yd and 6000yd tees. (Doesn't make much diference because extra length is on par 5s.)

Many of the guys I play with are about 15 years younger. Some of them say they are trying to shoot MY age 🙂

Congratulations!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter