Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What is your greatest golf memory?

TSauer

Fondest Memories? I have two.

First, I was stationed in Kansas during my first tour in the Army. We were playing in a Kansas State sponsored event with two college students whom I knew. I took with me one of my NCOs, who was a former Al-Army golfer. Needless to say, he and I were the team! On the 18th hole I had the best tee shot, but it was just in the rough. We were some 275 yards from the green. I was playing Wilson Staff persimmon woods at the time (circa 1985). I went first. I hit my 3-wood, and went it left the club, my NCO said to the others, "Leave 'em in the bag boys. That's a golf shot!" It finished 3 feet from the pin. I made the putt for a natural eagle!

Second, my second duty assignment in the Army was at Scholfield Barracks, HI. Each month we had a "Commanding General's Payday Scramble." The team assignments were according to handicap. I was always an 'A' player, and it was a crapshoot as to who you played with. The only local rule we had was that each team member had to have 3 tee shots. I was of the opinion that everyone has at least 3 decent tee shots in them, all except this one time. I usually made it a rule to get those 3 tee shots out of the way early on in the round.  However, this one guy I was assigned admittedly had not played in over 25 years. It showed! We got down to the last hole and needed his last tee shot. At least the hole was a par 5. The hole ran along a pineapple field on the right which was OB. The fairway wound around a huge Banyan tree in on the right edge of the fairway. We watched and I hoped and prayed he would just put it in play! He did, 100 yards straight ahead into the right rough (whew!). Then, I watched in horror as each of my teammates pumped their second shots into the pineapple field! I looked at them and said, "you all don't make this game any easier, do you?!" I figured, however, no guts, no glory. I did have room to carve out a draw around that Banyan tree, if I could hit it long enough. I carried a 2-iron at the time and used that to hit one of the prettiest shots I have ever made (second only to that 3-wood mentioned above). I sent it 265 yards to 50 yards from the pin! I stuck a sand wedge to 2 feet and a putt for birdie! The most well-earned birdie ever!

I guess you could call me a 'Mudder'. That's what you call a horse who runs better in the rain on a muddy track. I seem to rise to the occasion whenever there is a challenging situation! I also seem to play well in the rain. Go figure! 

TaylorMade Rocket Balz Tour 1,3

Ping Hybrid 4

Ping Irons 4-W

Cleveland Wedges 50, 54, 58

TaylorMade Ghost Blade Putter

I have a best memory, and a fun story:

The best memory is puring a 7 wood for a second on a par 5. I knew it was good, but the green is above the fairway, and I couldn't see the finish. (I should add I was alone.) As I got close I couldn't see the ball, and I assumed it had gone over. As I walked toward the back of the green two course workers yelled at me, "Stop, back up!", and pointed at the hole. This was my third albatross (still no hole in one, though 😥), but the first two were both on an absurdly short par 5 (Neumann Red #6, for anyone from Cincinnati), and I still can feel how pure that ball strike was.

The fun story was quite some time ago. On a Saturday my wife and I had a tee time, but when we got there the course told us they screwed up, and had an outing, but we could play 9 if we were quick. The par 5 ninth finishes right in front of the parking lot, and this huge outing was all in their carts ready to go shotgun. I had a good drive and a better second, and had about 12' for eagle. Someone in the outing apparently spread the word that this was an eagle putt. When it went in the whole place exploded, and damn near scared me into a heart attack.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Dang this is tough. I have many memories, hard to post one.  I'll give several.

• First hole in one, I was a freshmen in college and a buddy of mine invited me to play in a huge scramble.  There was a calcutta and skins and all.  Second hole was the #1 handicap hole, 203 yard par three.  Pin tucked over a bunker on the left side of the green.  Buddy tells me to aim for the center of the green and he'd go flag hunting.  Well I pulled it right at the flag.  It landed over the bunker, one hopped and rolled around and into the cup for my 1st ever hole in one!  One of our foursome almost tackled me!  It was definitely a skin and was the only one until the last group skulled their approach into the 17th hole flag and it fell in for an eagle.  It was also the only par three on the course with no hole in one prize that day, go figure.  
  • My junior year in college I shot a 64 in the final round of a tournament.  Both my parents were there.  Best round I ever shot.  Only to find out after the round I was assessed a two stroke penalty for talking to one of my teammates on a par three about what I hit.  Bummer
  • Played with several older guys in pick up matches.  They would play with their handicap.  One guy I'd have to give 9 strokes a side to, another 7, one guy 3.  Anyway, stepped on the 9th tee at 6 under for the nine.  But I was 1 behind the guy that I had to give 9 strokes to and it was a par 5.  One of the guys commented I was -6 for the nine, and my response was well I'm trying to keep up with that other guy.  I birdied the last to break 30 for the first and only time of my golfing career and also to win that 9 by a stroke.  The guy made a bogey.  Then I think I shot 42 on the next 9 or something like that.  What a day.
  • My most recent hole in one.  I flew home as a surprise to my dad for his 70th birthday.  He and mom were at the mall eating and I "bumped" into him.  Great reaction that I videoed.  Anyway, we played golf the day before his birthday and on the signature hole I made a hole in one, went in on the fly!  It was during Covid so they had those pool noodles in the cup.  We heard it hit the flag but wasnt sure it was in as it was getting dusk.  My parents watched me play tons of golf over the years but that was the first hole in one they had seen and it was the only hole in one I have made in my home state, where I played most of my golf.  Crazy how that works.  Told my dad Happy Birthday!

There are many more but these are the ones that come to mind the quickest.  If I can think of more, I will share them.

Matt Dura

Francis Marion University Hall of Fame 2018

default_titelist-small.jpg.035c687f1ee4f222f65826e0f2ccf716.jpg TS4 9.5*, HZRDUS Smoke 60g Low spin driver; PRO V1X

default_taylormade-small.jpg.e5271abefda63fc90c515812858df654.jpg M3 17*HL turned down to 15*, Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Series 65 Stiff

Ben Hogan 17* & 21* EDGE CFT Hybrids

default_ping-small.jpg.4f6644e7b181538ad4356fa5baa9ab06.jpg i200 blue dot, KBS Tour 120 S 4i-PW; Glide 58*/10

default_cleveland-small.jpg.c369c88345deb6bf5d6da562e36c46e9.jpg 50* RTX 588; 54* CG10

LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg.c85827f16c4e90eabef5b35daa9e8b47.jpg APA Model 1

ODIN.jpg.36f5f3d3738de8051e6e80e0aec7b2d2.jpg X1

My parents were members of PGA National in Palm Beach Gardens for many years.  Each March I would take the family to FL to see them during my children's spring break.  The club always had its Member/Guest tournament that week, and Dad always signed us up to play in it.  Both of us being high handicappers, we always had a great deal of fun but never did well in the tournament. In 1997, we played in the tournament again, and that year it was on the Championship course. It turns out we both played very well and we came in 2nd place.  My Dad was so excited to place that high in the tournament - I had never seen him that excited before! It was the last round of golf I played with my Dad before he succumbed to cancer a few months thereafter.  That is truly my the most memorable round of golf ever.

3 minutes ago, Girldad18 said:

Dang this is tough. I have many memories, hard to post one.  I'll give several.

• First hole in one, I was a freshmen in college and a buddy of mine invited me to play in a huge scramble.  There was a calcutta and skins and all.  Second hole was the #1 handicap hole, 203 yard par three.  Pin tucked over a bunker on the left side of the green.  Buddy tells me to aim for the center of the green and he'd go flag hunting.  Well I pulled it right at the flag.  It landed over the bunker, one hopped and rolled around and into the cup for my 1st ever hole in one!  One of our foursome almost tackled me!  It was definitely a skin and was the only one until the last group skulled their approach into the 17th hole flag and it fell in for an eagle.  It was also the only par three on the course with no hole in one prize that day, go figure.  
  • My junior year in college I shot a 64 in the final round of a tournament.  Both my parents were there.  Best round I ever shot.  Only to find out after the round I was assessed a two stroke penalty for talking to one of my teammates on a par three about what I hit.  Bummer
  • Played with several older guys in pick up matches.  They would play with their handicap.  One guy I'd have to give 9 strokes a side to, another 7, one guy 3.  Anyway, stepped on the 9th tee at 6 under for the nine.  But I was 1 behind the guy that I had to give 9 strokes to and it was a par 5.  One of the guys commented I was -6 for the nine, and my response was well I'm trying to keep up with that other guy.  I birdied the last to break 30 for the first and only time of my golfing career and also to win that 9 by a stroke.  The guy made a bogey.  Then I think I shot 42 on the next 9 or something like that.  What a day.
  • My most recent hole in one.  I flew home as a surprise to my dad for his 70th birthday.  He and mom were at the mall eating and I "bumped" into him.  Great reaction that I videoed.  Anyway, we played golf the day before his birthday and on the signature hole I made a hole in one, went in on the fly!  It was during Covid so they had those pool noodles in the cup.  We heard it hit the flag but wasnt sure it was in as it was getting dusk.  My parents watched me play tons of golf over the years but that was the first hole in one they had seen and it was the only hole in one I have made in my home state, where I played most of my golf.  Crazy how that works.  Told my dad Happy Birthday!

There are many more but these are the ones that come to mind the quickest.  If I can think of more, I will share them.

Probably should add the D2 National Championship we won at Crosswater in 2003.  And being in the Hall of Fame in 2018....can't forget those.

Matt Dura

Francis Marion University Hall of Fame 2018

default_titelist-small.jpg.035c687f1ee4f222f65826e0f2ccf716.jpg TS4 9.5*, HZRDUS Smoke 60g Low spin driver; PRO V1X

default_taylormade-small.jpg.e5271abefda63fc90c515812858df654.jpg M3 17*HL turned down to 15*, Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Series 65 Stiff

Ben Hogan 17* & 21* EDGE CFT Hybrids

default_ping-small.jpg.4f6644e7b181538ad4356fa5baa9ab06.jpg i200 blue dot, KBS Tour 120 S 4i-PW; Glide 58*/10

default_cleveland-small.jpg.c369c88345deb6bf5d6da562e36c46e9.jpg 50* RTX 588; 54* CG10

LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg.c85827f16c4e90eabef5b35daa9e8b47.jpg APA Model 1

ODIN.jpg.36f5f3d3738de8051e6e80e0aec7b2d2.jpg X1

So many great memories, where to start.

Lowest round: 69.  Three days after my 68th Birthday.  Great score, but on the downside double bogied the last hole.  Could have shot my age.   The ying and yang of a great day.  

Bucket List Trip: Five wonderful days in Ireland.  Played; Ballybunion, Dooks, Waterville, Killarney Fish and Golf, Dingle Bay.  

Best Round on a Championship Course:  From Championship Tees, 77.  The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island. (PGA CHAMPIONSHIP (2), SR PGA CHAMPIONSHIP, RYDER CUP, WORLD CUP.) 

Holes in One: 4 (2001, 2012, 2015, 2021) Started playing golf in 1984 at age 38.  Late bloomer.  

Favorite Resort Played:  Pinehurst.  Played 2,4,8. numerous times.  Also attended US Open. 

Noteworthy Memorable Courses Played: Torrey Pines, Spyglass Hill, Pacific Grove Golf Course, PGA West, TPC of Scottsdale (Stadium/Champions), TPC @ Sawgrass (Players/Dye), TPC Southwind, Colonial CC, Windyke CC, Ridgeway CC, Tunica National, TPC Myrtle Beach, The Dunes, Surf Club, , Bulls Bay Golf Club, Country Club of Charleston, Yeamans Hall, Daniel Island GC, Kiawah Resort Courses, Sea Pines CC, Oyster Reef, Cabot Cliff/Links, Pinehurst Resort (2,4,8, Cradle).

Majors Attended:  US Open, PGA Championships, Masters (many times before they went to the lottery in 1995). *** Not a major - 1991 Ryder Cup. 

Edited by ChuckZ
add

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Lots of good things for me personally, but my best golf moment was watching Nicklaus win the 86 Masters. 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Enjoying reading the memories posted, great topic @TSauer

Two golf memories:         
 2015 LPGA ProAm Rolex Scramble. Teams were 4 Amateurs & 1 Pro.  Our Pro was Charlotta Sorenstam.  What a day! We amateurs would miss putts, no problem cause Charlotta would drain the putts for either birdies or par savers. 
Some of the shots we hit, we get to one par 4, about 395yds, we had 95 yds to the hole after our tee shot. We Can't see the green, only the top of flag for the approach shot.  All four of us Amateurs hit really good shots on the green & surround pin.  Sorenstam (she's the anchor) hits her shot, right over the pin and says if that ball spun, it's in the cup.  We drove up to the green and only 4 balls were on the green.  She says, check the cup, sure enough, it was in the cup for a 2!!  Eagle!! 
The very next hole is a Par 5, we have two good drives to choose from, 181 yds to the pin, uphill into a little wind.  I hit a 6 iron, which never leaves the flag. Two of my golf buddies jump in their cart and race up to the green.  As they approach the green one of them jumps out of the cart, running to the green (LOL) holding his putter, we're talking about 50 something guys LOL.  My ball is a foot from the hole.  We tap it in for back-to-back eagles. We won the ProAm by 1 shot, shooting 17 under as a team.   First place, we each received a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter & a dozen Pro v1's.  Really nice!! What a memory! 

The second golf memory, was at the Disney Palm Course, on July 4, 1987. 8am tee time. I get done at the range, pull up to the 1st tee & Starter says I'm pairing you with this gentleman, a towering man, who extends his hand to shake and says, "Hi, I'm Julius".  I think I said whoa first LOL. It was Julius Erving, Dr. J. The other twosome who were to be paired with us, did not show. Awesome! Julius & I played 27 holes together.  Shared stories about growing up on Long Island, NY.  He paid for the extra 9 we played & I paid for lunch.  It was GREAT! I was not a very good golfer in 1987.  I was so nervous on the first tee, with Julius Erving & now a bunch of golfers congregating around the tee box watching Dr. J.  But I hit a beautiful drive, down the middle of the fairway and so relieved. I did double the hole though 🤣..  I still have the signed scorecard, framed in my home office.  
Golf, what a great game! ⛳

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I have several...can't pick just one!

• Playing at Bedford Springs on the hottest day I've ever played golf and witnessing my Dad's hole-in-one.
  • Playing with my future father-in-law and brothers-in-law at their home club for the first time and shooting my all-time low score.
  • Playing Laurel Valley with an executive from my company and getting home in two on the par 5 18th with the best 4 iron I've ever hit (two-putt for birdie).
  • Playing Oakmont CC for the first time a few weeks before they hosted the Women's US Open.
  • Every time I played my home course with my Dad and every golf trip with his friends...I cherish those memories even more now that he's no longer with us.

"In victory, you deserve champagne.  In defeat, you need it."

• Driver - Callaway Paradym 10.5, Diamana TB 60 S
  • 5-Wood - TaylorMade RBZ Tour 18, Matix Ozik XCON-7 S
  • 4i - PW - Ping i230, KBS Tour V stiff
  • Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9, 50.08 F, 54.12 D, 60.04 T, KBS Tour V stiff
  • Putter - Titleist Cameron Newport, oilcan finish, 34", baby-T grip
  • All Grips - Golf Pride Z Grip Cord
  • Ball - Titleist Pro V1

A few here…

My first par…was out with my dad around 8 years old.  Was just starting to learn and was riding around the course with him.  Played a couple shots here and there, but number 16 was a 98 yard par 3 from the ladies tees.  Hit my 3 wood (only club I had) into the sand trap short of the green, 3 wood out of the sand to 6” for a tap in par with the 3 wood of course!

Next was my dad’s first hole in one…I was in the woods off the tee, he tees off and shortly after states “I think it went in.”  I of course didn’t believe him so he sat in the cart while I retrieved his ball from the hole.

Next was my dad’s second hole in one.  We were back at the same course as his first, after nine he decided to place an order for the plaque from the course.  Promptly goes out on hole 11 and gets another…imagine the surprise of the pro when he walked back in to order a second plaque!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

1. Birdie on the first hole at the Old Course
  2. 82 at Bethpage Black on the last Sunday before it closed for the US Open
  3. Breaking 80 at the National Golf Links of America
  4. Finishing 7th at the Pyongyang Open in North Korea
  5. Every minute of every hole at Pebble Beach

Steven "Marty" Grant

Meeting Arnold Palmer at the opening of his course in Alton, IL along with his playing partner that day Stan Musial..  Great time!

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather