Sundogs Eyewear: 2024 Forum Member Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below!

@Wicki - Main Post 

@ShimmyCocoBop - Main Post 

@Jeff in the Mitten - Main Post

@Alan Scalzi - Main Post 

@Coulter - Main Post 

@injectedcuttyMain Post

25 minutes ago, Jeff in the Mitten said:

What's up to all the Spies out there!  Just a little bit about me as it relates to this particular test:

I'm 35, married to my amazing wife Ali (non-golfer), and live in Michigan (the mitten state) with our two dogs where the weather can be...unpredictable.  This means that lighting conditions can change a ton in a single round, which is why I'm so excited to be a tester of Sundog sunglasses!  

I've had corrected vision since I was a kid, so glasses and contact lenses have been a part of my daily life for as long as I can really remember.  I now have a corrective prescription of -5.5 in each eye...for those that don't have bad eyesight, first all of us that do are extremely jealous, but second, to put that in context, there is no way I could drive a car without my contacts/glasses...I'd be a hazard to us all!!!

On top of that, I have terrible seasonal allergies, which I do treat with OTC meds like zyrtec with pretty good results.  And to just add to my own misery, I have two very hairy doggos (Moose and Marley...see pics 🙂) that I absolutely adore, but their shedding isn't friendly to my eyes...but dog owners out there know that we simply can't live without 'em no matter what their hair does to us. 

The combination of those three things though has made for some pretty frustrating on-course experiences in my past.  I know, without a shadow of doubt, that some rounds (even some competitive ones) have been drastically influenced by my inability to manage my eyes.  For those of you out there like me...let's hope Sundogs can be a friend for our eyes out there grinding for pars!

I've been fortunate enough to get a few new sunglasses over the past couple years, so that's really what I'll be comparing to.  They'll include Oakleys with Prizm Polarized lenses (shown in the pictures...I was just gifted a sunglass hut gift card and scooped those), Arnettes with polarized and non-polarized lenses, and WMP with polarized and non-polarized lenses.  I've never been one to like wearing sunglasses while golfing.  I just think the tint is always too heavy where I actually loose some detail that I like when taking shots.  Sundogs...please prove me wrong!  I've even gone as far as wearing transition contact lenses for a bit while golfing to get the full-vision benefits of contacts with some tint.  I did like those, but they're mad expensive so I'm not sure I'd want to do it in the long run.

Here's what I hope to focus on during this test:

1. Tracking and finding the ball on the course...can these help with contrast making those things easier?

2. Visibility at address...I like to focus on single dimples when striking the ball and I hope I don't lose this with the tint. 

3. Everyday use...can these seamlessly go from the course to the clubhouse and beyond?

4. Long term comfort...Golf is a sport that takes a while so these need to be comfortable to make the cut.

5. Durability...I try to take care of stuff like this, but I'll be watching for cleanability and scratching closely. 

Anything else you want to learn about Sundogs???  Let me know and I'll get some feedback for ya!

IMG_9285.jpg

IMG_9282.jpg

73068242836__E191B65E-AEE2-4F9D-872D-9ED519C216DA.jpg

Thanks for the intro, but it should go in your placeholder spot at the top of the first page. Just fyi. 🙂

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

2 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Thanks for the intro, but it should go in your placeholder spot at the top of the first page. Just fyi. 🙂

@Shrek74 good lookin' out!  Added there 🙂 

Jeff D.

WITB:

Stealth Plus 10.5 w/ X-Stiff Evenflow Riptide MX 70 TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3-wood w/ Steelfiber 85g X-Stiff (F5)

Taylormade P770 (2021) w/ Dynamic Gold 120 x100

Vokey SM7 wedges 54 and 58

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

On 3/18/2024 at 7:55 PM, Jeff in the Mitten said:

What's up to all the Spies out there!  Just a little bit about me as it relates to this particular test:

I'm 35, married to my amazing wife Ali (non-golfer), and live in Michigan (the mitten state) with our two dogs where the weather can be...unpredictable.  This means that lighting conditions can change a ton in a single round, which is why I'm so excited to be a tester of Sundog sunglasses!  

I've had corrected vision since I was a kid, so glasses and contact lenses have been a part of my daily life for as long as I can really remember.  I now have a corrective prescription of -5.5 in each eye...for those that don't have bad eyesight, first all of us that do are extremely jealous, but second, to put that in context, there is no way I could drive a car without my contacts/glasses...I'd be a hazard to us all!!!

On top of that, I have terrible seasonal allergies, which I do treat with OTC meds like zyrtec with pretty good results.  And to just add to my own misery, I have two very hairy doggos (Moose and Marley...see pics ) that I absolutely adore, but their shedding isn't friendly to my eyes...but dog owners out there know that we simply can't live without 'em no matter what their hair does to us. 

The combination of those three things though has made for some pretty frustrating on-course experiences in my past.  I know, without a shadow of doubt, that some rounds (even some competitive ones) have been drastically influenced by my inability to manage my eyes.  For those of you out there like me...let's hope Sundogs can be a friend for our eyes out there grinding for pars!

I've been fortunate enough to get a few new sunglasses over the past couple years, so that's really what I'll be comparing to.  They'll include Oakleys with Prizm Polarized lenses (shown in the pictures...I was just gifted a sunglass hut gift card and scooped those), Arnettes with polarized and non-polarized lenses, and WMP with polarized and non-polarized lenses.  I've never been one to like wearing sunglasses while golfing.  I just think the tint is always too heavy where I actually loose some detail that I like when taking shots.  Sundogs...please prove me wrong!  I've even gone as far as wearing transition contact lenses for a bit while golfing to get the full-vision benefits of contacts with some tint.  I did like those, but they're mad expensive so I'm not sure I'd want to do it in the long run.

Here's what I hope to focus on during this test:

1. Tracking and finding the ball on the course...can these help with contrast making those things easier?

2. Visibility at address...I like to focus on single dimples when striking the ball and I hope I don't lose this with the tint. 

3. Everyday use...can these seamlessly go from the course to the clubhouse and beyond?

4. Long term comfort...Golf is a sport that takes a while so these need to be comfortable to make the cut.

5. Durability...I try to take care of stuff like this, but I'll be watching for cleanability and scratching closely. 

Anything else you want to learn about Sundogs???  Let me know and I'll get some feedback for ya!

IMG_9285.jpg

IMG_9282.jpg

73068242836__E191B65E-AEE2-4F9D-872D-9ED519C216DA.jpg

I also wear prescription frames. Unfortunately I couldn't get contacts to work. 

One question - do the arms taper in so that the glasses don't slide down your nose when you look down? Is it possible to have them adjusted at all?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

20 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

I also wear prescription frames. Unfortunately I couldn't get contacts to work. 

One question - do the arms taper in so that the glasses don't slide down your nose when you look down? Is it possible to have them adjusted at all?

Looks like the Sundogs I asked for do (Genius and Propel).  The Genius has nose pads that can be moved, while the Propel is just the frame pads.  

My Oakleys have a slight curve to the arm to keep them in place, but also have a rubberized finish on the nose pads for more grip.  

I'll let you know how stability goes out there when I get the shades in to test. 

Jeff D.

WITB:

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to Sundogs Eyewear: 2024 Forum Member Review
On 3/19/2024 at 8:08 AM, Rob Person said:

Congratulations testers!  Looking forward to all the features and benefits, and differences these pairs of sunglasses provide on the course (and off)

Will anybody being doing full time reviews, or golf course only?

I plan on doing full time reviews as I wear sunglasses all the time. I want to compare how the @Sundog Eyewearpolarized are compared to what I currently wear. Really excited to see what the TrueBlue tech is about. I have a dedicated pair of golf sunglasses to put Propel model up against so it should be fun. Just waiting on arrival of the goods pumped to get testing.

Scott J

PXG Driver, AP2 irons, Cleveland wedges and Odyssey white ice 2.0

1 hour ago, injectedcutty said:

I plan on doing full time reviews as I wear sunglasses all the time. I want to compare how the @Sundog Eyewearpolarized are compared to what I currently wear. Really excited to see what the TrueBlue tech is about. I have a dedicated pair of golf sunglasses to put Propel model up against so it should be fun. Just waiting on arrival of the goods pumped to get testing.

Same here! I can’t wait to get these things in! What do you normally wear? I have a pair of Raze j frame that I bought at some golf course a couple of years ago. 

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

21 minutes ago, Coulter said:

Same here! I can’t wait to get these things in! What do you normally wear? I have a pair of Raze j frame that I bought at some golf course a couple of years ago. 

I have some polarized Ray Ban Wayfarer that I love, but won't wear to work for fear of messing them up. I usually wear cheap shaded safety glasses, or tifosi Seek 2.0 which are so so. I also have Tifosi Rivet with their "enliven golf" tech and those truly make a difference on course. I tried my Ray Bans golfing and the polarized lens messed with my depth perception causing me to mishit some shots. 

Scott J

Got something in the mail this afternoon! First impressions coming soon!

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

18 minutes ago, injectedcutty said:

20240330_143128.jpg.d58ac3fabb80b9c9085983a4489b4b45.jpg

How cool are those! I see you went with two different style of glasses as well

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

How nice are these?!

IMG_3325.jpeg

Edited by Coulter

Is that a sunglasses case that looks like a headcover or an actual headcover

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Just now, GolfSpy_BNG said:

A sunglasses case that looks like a head over and has a magnetic ball marker 😂 I love it!

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

What @Coultersaid, a case that looks like a headcover. The magnet is strong as crap too! Needs to be broken in some, but cool!

Scott J

22 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

How cool are those! I see you went with two different style of glasses as well

Yeah, I usually wear a style like the Billy83, the Propel (orange lens) are a tad larger than I'm used to, but real comfortable so far.

Scott J

Just now, injectedcutty said:

What @Coultersaid, a case that looks like a headcover. The magnet is strong as crap too! Needs to be broken in some, but cool!

Yeah it seemed a bit tight for the Propel sunglasses. The Genius fit really nicely though.

Love the case! He mentioned they were waiting on those and I am pumped to see them. They look amazing!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Awesome intros. by this group of testers, and really cool to see the glasses arriving and the fantastic looking case "headcover."

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to "Unboxing & Set-Up" post

23 minutes ago, Coulter said:

A sunglasses case that looks like a head over and has a magnetic ball marker 😂 I love it!

19 minutes ago, injectedcutty said:

Excuse my language but that is bada$$

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

UNBOXING DAYYYYY!  Thanks @Sundog Eyewear and the MGS Mods for the opportunity on this one.  Tons of pics to come soon, but here's the important stuff...

First Impressions:  10/10 (can I give 11?!)
They Look awesome.  Right out of the box they fit perfect (sometimes that's not the case and I have to "bend" sunglasses to fit squarely on my face). And the tint seems to be just about right, where they are a little on the lighter tint side of the scale...I hate when sunglasses are so dark you become nocturnal putting them on. 

I can see a difference between the Trueblue and the Trueblue Polarized, so I'm pumped to see how much better the Polarized is out in the wild!

CHEF'S KISS...the hybrid headcover (magnetic ball marker and all) was just a perfect "cherry on top" of an already great product start...strong move @Sundog Eyewear I see you!

Check out my video below where you can see the products and a first (indoor) impression.  Pics and outdoor performance to come soon!

Jeff D.

WITB:

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Excuse my language but that is bada$$

Which style do we order to get in on the headcover case? I can always use another pair but got to have that cover!

TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT HYBRID 17/Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022)

Nice job, Jeff ITM.  

I lived in Columbus, OH for sixteen years and watched OSU do battle with UM and MSU in The Mitten many times.  Great rivalries!

Good luck with the Dogs 😃

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

Great work so far so! Glad to hear it's got off to a solid start! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

IMG_3327.jpeg.d287530f939f7c428eea6629b9ab2660.jpegBask in the glow of the Genius selfie! 

These things are crystal clear!

3 hours ago, ShimmyCocoBop said:

Nice job, Jeff ITM.  

I lived in Columbus, OH for sixteen years and watched OSU do battle with UM and MSU in The Mitten many times.  Great rivalries!

Good luck with the Dogs 😃

That’s ironic…my fam is from bowling green so I grew up a buckeye fan until I went to MSU. I guess we can agree we both don’t like blue and yellow color combos LOL!  

I actually (and this is 100% serious) will not put any blue and yellow clothing together (worn or put away) or have things around the house that are blue and yellow touch.  

Call me crazy…or just a fan. I dunno. 

All kidding aside, I’ve “matured” enough to be a respectful rival and I appreciate the same to you @ShimmyCocoBop

Jeff D.

WITB:

So anxious... waiting for my test order to arrive in Florida! 😎

SunDog Polarized Preference: Billy 83

SunDog Non-Polarized Preference: Zenith

Over the years, I have tried Ray-Ban, Maui Jim, Oakley, Tifosi, Costa Del Mar, HDVision and most recently Radians Clay Pro Shooting Glasses. 

I'm also trying to avoid developing Pterygium, an eye condition prevalent in golfers, surfers or anyone who has spent a lot of time in the sun without UV eye protection.  I remember that PGA Tour Member Andy Bean (11 PGA Tour wins) was plagued with Pterygium.   

https://pontevedrarecorder.com/stories/golfers-eyes,6633?

UV protection is pretty standard in sunglasses these days, but you have to wear them to get the benefit - sort of like having to put batteries in hearing aids. 🤣

Edited by ShimmyCocoBop

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.