How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

1 hour ago, alii1959 said:

Well...Well..Well, I have played both yesterday and today.  Yesterday, my game fell completely apart.  I even got to the point that I quit keeping score....it was ridiculous!  I couldn't get off the tee.  Couldn't hit an approach.  Couldn't do much at all.  I went home and attempted reevaluate my efforts/methods.  I can't use the language here that I directed at myself.

I have a good friend who has always used a baseball grip to play golf.  I have never tried it.  Thought he was stupid.  Thought he just couldn't bring himself to "conform" to norms.  But, in desperation I gave it a shot today.  So, here we go....

Started off par, birdie, par, bogey, then 5 more pars to finish the front at 36.  7 of 7 fairways on the front.  Only 3 GIRs, but I am learning my distances with this grip.  Only 12 putts.  Shocked myself.  I could easily have been under par.

Back nine:  bogey, 4 pars, bogey, 3 more pars.  6/7 fairways and 4 GIRs.  15 putts.  74 total for a new personal best on my home course.  I was gobsmacked!  

Using this baseball grip most of my shots seemed rather effortless.  With my arthritic/broken up hands I had much less pain than usual. (I didn't even flood my golf gloves with aspercreme, yes I do use two gloves.) It was just the first round with this grip...maybe a solution, maybe not.  We will see.  I am encouraged by my results.  I think that once I get my distances down I will be really pleased.  I have been experimenting for a couple of years to find a grip that reduced the pain and still provided predictability.  

Congratulations on the PB !  I use the baseball grip quite a bit, except for finesse shots around the green. I did have to make a few small compensation though too.  Nothing drastic

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, alii1959 said:

Well...Well..Well, I have played both yesterday and today.  Yesterday, my game fell completely apart.  I even got to the point that I quit keeping score....it was ridiculous!  I couldn't get off the tee.  Couldn't hit an approach.  Couldn't do much at all.  I went home and attempted reevaluate my efforts/methods.  I can't use the language here that I directed at myself.

I have a good friend who has always used a baseball grip to play golf.  I have never tried it.  Thought he was stupid.  Thought he just couldn't bring himself to "conform" to norms.  But, in desperation I gave it a shot today.  So, here we go....

Started off par, birdie, par, bogey, then 5 more pars to finish the front at 36.  7 of 7 fairways on the front.  Only 3 GIRs, but I am learning my distances with this grip.  Only 12 putts.  Shocked myself.  I could easily have been under par.

Back nine:  bogey, 4 pars, bogey, 3 more pars.  6/7 fairways and 4 GIRs.  15 putts.  74 total for a new personal best on my home course.  I was gobsmacked!  

Using this baseball grip most of my shots seemed rather effortless.  With my arthritic/broken up hands I had much less pain than usual. (I didn't even flood my golf gloves with aspercreme, yes I do use two gloves.) It was just the first round with this grip...maybe a solution, maybe not.  We will see.  I am encouraged by my results.  I think that once I get my distances down I will be really pleased.  I have been experimenting for a couple of years to find a grip that reduced the pain and still provided predictability.  

Congrats on the PB! Heck of a round!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

Played in a scramble yesterday with 2 friends who have played a combined 5 times this year. We finished 6 under which I thought was pretty good considering the lack of play by 2 players,6 birds no bogeys. 2 teams shot 59 and 1 team shot 61for third place. Have a great day all.

Frank musolino 

Based on today's 9-holes and yesterday's range session, this Ai Smoke driver is staying in the bag! 4/4 fairways hit with it this morning. One toe mishit still went straight with a slight draw. One low heel was short but middle of the fairway with the amount of fade I was aiming for.

Local muni. Course rating for blue tees 116/67.6, so not a tough course, but you still have to hit the fairways and greens to score.

0EF983F8-93FD-4853-BA23-A8B1C8A9FC71_1_105_c.jpeg.6980af1e20619758cdf6f807042262ee.jpeg

This was on 9, from an elevated tee. I had time, so hit a second ball off the tee. Both ended up within this red circle. Neither were center strikes!

72FD7BF9-492C-4868-9716-E1E3D483B796_1_201_a.jpeg.faa8a514d80ce4b2ffc3c55ca93eef00.jpeg

The only missed GIR were a slightly pulled 9-iron from 155 out. The other I didn't quite connect with a full 56* and landed 5yds short of the green, 10yds short of target distance. I managed to get up and down on both occasions, one with a 60* semi-flop shot as I was short sided.

It was a colder start (48*) but sunny and the course was quiet (definitely a few no shows due to the temp). The grass was wet with dew, but firm. Nice way to start the day.

Kids' soccer on the schedule for this afternoon and a charity scramble tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how the Ai Smoke performs tomorrow!

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

1 hour ago, Indy_Oz said:

Based on today's 9-holes and yesterday's range session, this Ai Smoke driver is staying in the bag! 4/4 fairways hit with it this morning. One toe mishit still went straight with a slight draw. One low heel was short but middle of the fairway with the amount of fade I was aiming for.

Local muni. Course rating for blue tees 116/67.6, so not a tough course, but you still have to hit the fairways and greens to score.

0EF983F8-93FD-4853-BA23-A8B1C8A9FC71_1_105_c.jpeg.6980af1e20619758cdf6f807042262ee.jpeg

This was on 9, from an elevated tee. I had time, so hit a second ball off the tee. Both ended up within this red circle. Neither were center strikes!

72FD7BF9-492C-4868-9716-E1E3D483B796_1_201_a.jpeg.faa8a514d80ce4b2ffc3c55ca93eef00.jpeg

The only missed GIR were a slightly pulled 9-iron from 155 out. The other I didn't quite connect with a full 56* and landed 5yds short of the green, 10yds short of target distance. I managed to get up and down on both occasions, one with a 60* semi-flop shot as I was short sided.

It was a colder start (48*) but sunny and the course was quiet (definitely a few no shows due to the temp). The grass was wet with dew, but firm. Nice way to start the day.

Kids' soccer on the schedule for this afternoon and a charity scramble tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how the Ai Smoke performs tomorrow!

Great round!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

On 9/7/2024 at 11:58 AM, Rob Person said:

@Off Map Oscar great round!!

@JB2334. Looks like an epic time! 

There is something about that NC fairway turf that is so hard to hit out of for me. You almost have to have a clean pick to get the ball to do what you want. Any bit of extra shallow and you tear out a divot that rivals digging for a well!  😆 

After playing the majority of my golf since I was a teenager in South Florida with soft, sandy turf and extremely receptive Bermuda greens, there was definitely a learning curve when I moved to East Tennessee and started playing on bluegrass fairways with real dirt/clay and firm/fast bent greens. I generally leave fairly shallow divots and am usually far more likely to miss thin than fat...but I was hitting some short iron/wedge shots where I thought I might strike oil.

I've cleaned it up and know what kind of approach shots to hit when - but reading bent greens remains a mystery to me.

Edited by JB2334
Correct typo

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 loft, dialed down to 9.5

Callaway Mavrik 3 Wood 15 loft

Tommy Armour 845 2 iron 

Callaway Mavrik 3 Hybrid

Callaway Mavrik irons (5-AW)

Vokey SM9 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5+

47/44 for a 91. One par one birdie and the rest were bogies or doubles. Walked all 18 on a pretty hilly course but I was really happy with how things went overall. Lost some balls but found some too. Not a single 3 putt which makes me happy. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Awful day today. Played18 holes, and got skunked by my brother. I think he took 70 dollars off of me. We were playing $5 a hole, with carryovers, and side bets for strokeplay. Hole 17 was worth like 35 dollars just in skins, not even including the strokeplay bets. He stuck his tee off shot to like a foot. Mine landed a few feet behind the hole and spun back until it was about 10 feet away. After he tapped in, my must-make birdie putt broke right across the hole and horseshoed out. I ended up with +3 at my home course. He got +2, but won the holes that mattered. On the bright side, I'm teeing off at 6:00 AM tomorrow, so I can finish golf before school. I've been playing really well in early morning rounds, so hopefully I'll win some money back.

WITB
Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST D 

3 Wood: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue St D

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max

5-PW: :taylormade-small: P7MC

52*, 56*, and 60*: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 Nickel w/Custom USA 🇺🇸 Paint Fills

Putter: Sacks Parente Custom Series 54 Mid-Sized White 1 Stripe - Center

Shouldn't have played the day after a driver fitting, but gotta play whenever I get a chance.

3-over on the front with a few near misses on a couple of birdie putts.

9-over on the back when everything went to s-word.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: :L.A.B.: DF3 x Accra

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Got out with @DiscipleofPenick and @MaxEntropy yesterday morning at Ridge Top in Medina. 62XX playing the tips but the greens made up for the shorter distance. They were very quick and the breaks were large but subtle. If you saw the correct break it was usually a lot more than it looked and there some that broke opposite to what they looked. Putting was quite an effort.

I could not hit a ball on the front and finally worked out it was my ball position on the back.

47/40 87

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

38 minutes ago, JAYER38 said:

Well the day finally arrived.... The blow up game! 💥 I knew it was coming sooner or later as Tee shots have been such a struggle to keep in bounds lately. I cant seem to throw together a full round with the driver just somehow losing the feels in-between rounds which leads to dumb mistakes with other clubs trying to make up strokes which mentally I know is not the right play when I struggle to get my mind off the driver shots during each hole into the next. Having 4 Triple+ holes really racks up the scorecard but we live and learn to play another day. This game of golf we all love is a challenge forsure but that's why we play it. 

Score: 103 (46/57) Honestly as a 23HCP I shouldn't be upset with this as a blow up round but I am!! 🥴

Fairways: 2 (2/0) *This was a big stat change as the misses were not small like usual. I was playing from the trees alot and couldn't tell where the miss would go*

GIR: 2 (2/0) Not something I'm fantastic at anyway but overly bad this round

Putts: 35 (18/17) Little higher than usual but believe that's because mentally I just could not focus

Penalties: 7 (3/4) This is what got me. All but 1of these was off the Tee to an OB shot.

CYPRESSCREEKSTATS.jpg.ebd8286f8426c3982b9653d13ee13ad8.jpg CYPRESSCREEKSTATS2.jpg.2fac75d1a57c6d46aadb24bb2b6f0378.jpg

Grip down on the driver...and 80% effort on the stroke. This works for me to build confidence in the darn club again.

• Callaway Mavrik Driver 10.5* (280yd)
  • Callaway GBB 3 wood (256yd)
  • Ping G25 17* Hybrid  (230yd)
  • Callaway AI Smoke 4Hybrid (set at 22* & replacement for the 4 iron) (208yd)
  • Callaway Apex Pro 19 (5 to A) Irons
  • Wilson Staff Dynapower SW (1975)
  • Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 60 Mid 10
  • Odyssey DXF Rossie Putter
  • Srixon Q-Star balls
  • Garmin Approach S60

2 hours ago, MattF said:

Got out with @DiscipleofPenick and @MaxEntropy yesterday morning at Ridge Top in Medina. 62XX playing the tips but the greens made up for the shorter distance. They were very quick and the breaks were large but subtle. If you saw the correct break it was usually a lot more than it looked and there some that broke opposite to what they looked. Putting was quite an effort.

I could not hit a ball on the front and finally worked out it was my ball position on the back.

47/40 87

I ended up 45/40. I feel like driver is starting to come around - it wasn't great and I had three penalties with it, but the miss was not big, distance robbing flares to the right - they were pulls that weren't terrible, just a bad time to pull (1 really shaky pull-hook that I'm going to ignore). Most importantly, I won the match play against @DiscipleofPenick. I was up three quickly, then he worked it back to E, then see-sawed back and forth the rest of the round. We stepped onto the 18 tee with me 1 up. Very short, downhill par 3 that was into the wind. I feel like the way the trees are on the hole it created a wind tunnel. Everything we had told us it was playing ~100, but in reality it was playing ~120. Tom found out the hard way and I learned from it.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
7W: :callaway-small:Epic Flash 19* TourAD (can't remember the exact model)
4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 23* Recoil 780ES
5-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
54*, 58*: :Sub70: TAIII Black
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Most Recent TestFit For Golf 2.0

Just now, MaxEntropy said:

I ended up 45/40. I feel like driver is starting to come around - it wasn't great and I had three penalties with it, but the miss was not big, distance robbing flares to the right - they were pulls that weren't terrible, just a bad time to pull (1 really shaky pull-hook that I'm going to ignore). Most importantly, I won the match play against @DiscipleofPenick. I was up three quickly, then he worked it back to E, then see-sawed back and forth the rest of the round. We stepped onto the 18 tee with me 1 up. Very short, downhill par 3 that was into the wind. I feel like the way the trees are on the hole it created a wind tunnel. Everything we had told us it was playing ~100, but in reality it was playing ~120. Tom found out the hard way and I learned from it.

2 hours ago, MattF said:

47/40 87

I was a weird day for me as I shot 44/38. I had 3 birdies, but was +9 on 4 holes and only +2 the rest of the day. And it was all lack of focus on the short game, which just makes me frustrated with myself. Only lost ball was the misjudged wedge on the par-3 18th, but I still got up and down from the drop zone.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

2 hours ago, JAYER38 said:

Well the day finally arrived.... The blow up game! 💥 I knew it was coming sooner or later as Tee shots have been such a struggle to keep in bounds lately. I cant seem to throw together a full round with the driver just somehow losing the feels in-between rounds which leads to dumb mistakes with other clubs trying to make up strokes which mentally I know is not the right play when I struggle to get my mind off the driver shots during each hole into the next. Having 4 Triple+ holes really racks up the scorecard but we live and learn to play another day. This game of golf we all love is a challenge forsure but that's why we play it. 

Score: 103 (46/57) Honestly as a 23HCP I shouldn't be upset with this as a blow up round but I am!! 🥴

Fairways: 2 (2/0) *This was a big stat change as the misses were not small like usual. I was playing from the trees alot and couldn't tell where the miss would go*

GIR: 2 (2/0) Not something I'm fantastic at anyway but overly bad this round

Putts: 35 (18/17) Little higher than usual but believe that's because mentally I just could not focus

Penalties: 7 (3/4) This is what got me. All but 1of these was off the Tee to an OB shot.

CYPRESSCREEKSTATS.jpg.ebd8286f8426c3982b9653d13ee13ad8.jpg CYPRESSCREEKSTATS2.jpg.2fac75d1a57c6d46aadb24bb2b6f0378.jpg

I am right there with you!  I've been playing golf for a loooong time and have similar rounds just about every outing.  Then something will click and I'll hit fairways and greens and score a low 90s or maybe even a high 80s and think I've fixed it (whatever "it" was from the last time) then my next round I'll be back playing from the woods and losing 5 or 6 balls again!  Frustrating...

PXG Gen6 0311 driver 9 degree with Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g stiff shaft

Tour Edge Exotics C722 2 hybrid (17 degree)

Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 3 hybrid (20 degree)

Callaway Mavrik 5 hybrid (23 degree)

PXG 0311XP Gen3 irons 6-PW

Wedges: Edel 48 degree;  Cleveland RTX Fullface 52 degree; Cleveland Smartsole 58 degree

Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 putter

9 minutes ago, TheBirdieMasterLOL said:

Good morning! Just finished up my match with my brother. We teed off at 5:55 AM. On a very easy golf course, I managed -1. 2 birdies, 1 bogey, and a bunch of pars. Unfortunately, my brother also managed -1. On the last 5 holes, he went birdie, birdie, missed 5-footer for birdie, missed 5-footer for par, AND A HOLE-OUT FOR EAGLE ON THE LAST! The good news is that I won $20 in the skins game. 

Hehehehe we sneaky good :)

Driver: Cobra Aerojet

Woods: Cleveland Launcher Turbo

Hybrid: Ping G425

Irons: Ping I59 (5-PW)

Wedges: Takomo skyforger (52, 56, 60)

Putter: Hudson Made Custom Wesley

1 hour ago, 3Putt4Double said:

On hole 8 gentleman.. Playing the worst golf of my life.. Nothing is working.. Shot an 11 on a par 5 and an 8 on a par 4😓

There's always the back 9!!  👍

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Shot +8 at Rec Par 9 which is par 31. 17 putts really floored me today. The greens were just soooo slow. Also, the sprinklers turned on and hit me twice while playing which was nice. Could've been a better day but I wanted to beat the 100° humidity so, it is what it is. 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :vice: Pro Air

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+

Today is not a how did I play, but I am sure both today and tomorrow will effect how I play Wednesday. Spent all morning at the course shoveling the plugs off the greens, then shoveling sand from the truck into the spreader. Did front today back tomorrow.

Cobra LTDX 10.5driver

Cobra LTDX 3 wood

Cobra Aerojet 3 hybrid

Cobra King Tour irons 4 thru p UST Recoil 680 shafts

Cobra Snakebite 48, 54, 60

Cobra Vintage Stingray 40

Snell Prime 3.0

I’m lucky enough to have a buddy with the same handicap as me. We both shot upper 90s last Saturday at our local public course. The positive is a hit more fairways this week after working on my drives. Averaged 230 yards off the tee box. 

Im a work in progress. I hit the range Sunday and I’ll be hitting the net this afternoon. 

IMG_3273.jpeg

High handicap golfer looking to have fun with my friends and improve my handicap

Current Clubs

Callaway Epic Flash Sub zero Driver

Strata 3 wood, 5 hybrid

Mizuno 923 Hot Metal HL 5-PW, AW

Bombtech 52, 56, 60 wedges

Odyssey tri hot 5k 22 three putter

Tracking with Arccos sensors

Linktr.ee/Baums2Bogeys for high handicap golf content