Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The studies all say that the lower the handicap the less the distance exagerations which is telling in and of itself. When I see a guy with a single digit handicap and especially with a handicap under 5 I'm going to assume that he's pretty close in his yardage estimates - he wouldn't shoot the scores he did if he were off by 40 yards.

I'm sure this is going to cause some to think, "Well what if the guy is lying about his handicap?" To which I would say, "I hope he is so that when we play the chances of me winning are increased." It's really crazy to understate one's handicap although I know it happens like the distance thing - unintentionally, if all the rounds recorded are casual with gimmee's slapped away and mulligans and not playing the ball down, etc., etc. That's a topic for another thread somewhere else on this sight.

I loved the comment about hitting the 3 wood 265 when you had 225 in RR - I hit a 9 iron 165 a couple of weeks ago - unfortunately I had 118 - I wanted that back pin so bad and I was into the wind, flighted it down beautifully, the wind died, I carried over the green, one hop, over the hill, dead. But I caught a good lie, on grass instead of sand and hit the flop shot of the season and a 12 foot slider for par. :D :D :D

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved the comment about hitting the 3 wood 265 when you had 225 in RR - I hit a 9 iron 165 a couple of weeks ago - unfortunately I had 118 - I wanted that back pin so bad and I was into the wind, flighted it down beautifully, the wind died, I carried over the green, one hop, over the hill, dead. But I caught a good lie, on grass instead of sand and hit the flop shot of the season and a 12 foot slider for par. :D :D :D

I can do better than that......I hit a 60* 200yds a while back, when I only had 85 into the green. I carried it (and I use carry loosely, since it was the worst blade ever seen by man) about 120, it hit the cart path behind the green, then dirt that was as hard as the cart path. Oh the things we will do to say we hit a 60* 200yds, LOL. Luckily long right was open and I was able to scrape together a bogey.

Actually, I was thinking about two things. The first is that my 3 wood is so undependable it is pathetic. So much so, that I only use it on one hole and that is a tee shot. My driver is too long, and my 2 iron is just a little short.

The second thing is that one of the high cappers that I play with all the time was once behind me. We had both hit poor tee shots and had trees between us and the green. I had a pitching wedge and was going to put it back in the fairway. I was getting in my stance and noticed him behind me. So I appologized and moved my cart and moved. There were some guys still on the green. I asked what he was waiting on and he said he was waiting for the green to clear. I said I was 180 out, and he had to be at least 240. He said, "Yeah, but I hit my 3 wood 250." I thought that if he did than he should hit it instead of his driver. I have paid attention since he said that three or four weeks ago. He has yet to break 200 yards with the three wood off the dirt. But has an uncanny ability to find OB and water with it.

I was not thinking about you at all. I know this is heartbreaking to you and maybe you can find some tissue around there to soak up the tears. I do not really care about your distance claims because we know that distance does not matter, except that "Chicks dig the long ball."

I was joking around... I happen to hit a 4metal 260 - 265 off the deck so it sort of fell in my lap. My biggest 60* was a 150 carry, straight thinned and rocket :)

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I said I was 180 out, and he had to be at least 240. He said, "Yeah, but I hit my 3 wood 250."

I got paired up with a couple real nice guys last week. After watching them walk off yardages from fairway markers I offered to give them GPS readings, just to speed it up a little. After they hit a few shots short (and gave me quizzical looks) I started adding 10-15 yards to the "real" number. All of a sudden my GPS was "spot-on" :) They were fun to play with though.....but I never did fess up after the round ;)

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I got paired up with a couple real nice guys last week. After watching them walk off yardages from fairway markers I offered to give them GPS readings, just to speed it up a little. After they hit a few shots short (and gave me quizzical looks) I started adding 10-15 yards to the "real" number. All of a sudden my GPS was "spot-on" :) They were fun to play with though.....but I never did fess up after the round ;)

So common, it is unreal. I have had my Soviet designed for three or four years and other than it pissing me off everytime I have to charge it up, it is awesome. Do not tell anyone but the reason I am now so good with irons is that I know how far I hit them and I know how far it is to the green. Just point it in the right direction and it is pretty simple.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Archived