Does hitting an Ace in Golf is a luck or a skill?

Posted (edited)

... For many MUCH more luck than skill. I play to a + index and don't have one. My cousin has never broken 100 and he has 3 of them. I watched him top a 5 wood from 160yds, bounce off the end of the tee box, roll down a steep hill, bounce over a small creek then roll up on the green and in the hole. On another day into a strong wind he sliced his drive from 175 into a tree, hit hard off a limb and bounce sideways on the green and in the hole. 🤪

... Granted those are extreme examples but I like Ben Hogans description “If you hit it within two feet of the hole, it is a great shot. If it goes in, it’s luck.” 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r
                  :cobra-small:    King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

Posted (edited)

A combination of both I think.  The skill side is knowing how to read the course, the greens, wind, knowing what your clib can do in distance and spin. Knowing where to land a ball, and what the balls tendencies are.

The rest is dumb luck!

Of course there are those out there that may have played for the first time or are very new that are just swinging at the ball and land it in!

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut!

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Granted those are extreme examples but I like Ben Hogans description “If you hit it within two feet of the hole, it is a great shot. If it goes in, it’s luck.” 

I still remember many years ago I was playing a par 3 and the ball stopped an inch from going in.   I was walking to the next tee box and an older gentleman asked me how close it was and then he basically told me the same thing and quoted Hogan.   The player was former PGA player Chandler Harper.   He invited me to join him for the rest of the round which was a great experience.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Had a buddy basically skull a pw on a par 3 at local 9 hole course and it bounced and rolled all the way to to hole and went in for an ace. Zero skill involved in that ace

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I got mine playing executive length courses so to some they don't count.

But I have a double eagle on a regulation course. 
That's like making a hole in one from the deck.

The par fives at our club were obviously designed as the course's four first aid stations to stop the bleeding.  The par threes will not only get you, but then they'll go after your family.

in flux

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... For many MUCH more luck than skill. I play to a + index and don't have one. My cousin has never broken 100 and he has 3 of them. I watched him top a 5 wood from 160yds, bounce off the end of the tee box, roll down a steep hill, bounce over a small creek then roll up on the green and in the hole. On another day into a strong wind he sliced his drive from 175 into a tree, hit hard off a limb and bounce sideways on the green and in the hole. 🤪

The skill to hit it close often

does give one more chances

to get lucky with an ace.

That's the skill part of the equation.

Modestly skilled players still get them from time to time, however.

in flux

Just now, RetiredBoomer said:

The skill to hit it close often

does give one more chances

to get lucky with an ace.

That's the skill part of the equation.

Modestly skilled players still get them from time to time, however.

... Good point and one would think so right? I have been ever so close far too many times to count. I have slam dunked my tee shot twice on a par 3 doing damage to the cup and both times the ball bounced out of the hole. 🙄  I do have two albatross so maybe I just used up all my luck. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r
                  :cobra-small:    King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

100% luck IMHO. My ace came when I was a 20 hdcp and I was convinced the ball had bounced away from the pin. If I could get one at that stage in my career, heck even now, it's luck as far as I'm concerned 🤣

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

At a course I used to play, a guy made a hole in one after his ball bounced off a tree.  Now, that is extraordinary skill.

I've had two of them over the years.  The first was a bad shot that got lucky.  I was trying to hit a draw to a hole set behind a bunker fronting the left of the green.  I came over the top and hit a low fade that barely cleared the bunker and ran into the hole.  My other hole in one was actually a good shot but the fact it went in was still pure luck.  Hitting it close is skill (usually), having it go in is pure luck.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I agree with both being true. It’s lucky skill…

On Thursday I made a 2 from 152 on a decent swing. I had wind in my face and a pretty level lie. It wasn’t solid contact however the ball was on a great line, never left the pin. Ball mark landed 3 feet short and rolled in. 

Now that was a near perfect lie in some wetter weather and that ball should have landed and checked up. 

Instrad it chased and I was able to negate the double, bogey start on 1&2. 

I’ve made 3 HIO in my life and 2 eagles from 125+ in the fairway. All of those shots were decently struck but I’ve hit better, more solid shots that “should” have been aces. 

Can I change my answer to luck?

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I’d say luck and mainly basing that on observation…

Most recent observation, par three over water with a bunker short…guy blades one, skipped on the water, rode the left edge of the sand trap (played the break perfectly I must say!), rolled onto the green and dropped into the cup.

He never saw it, was pissed at the shot!  And, didn’t believe me when I told him it was in the hole.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

Giving yourself lots of chances to get lucky is definitely skill.

Exactly. One of my buddies had a HIO on #10 at our regular course last June. A couple weeks ago in May, he aced the same hole again, brings his lifetime HIO count to 3 (he’s better now than he used to be). He hits mo’ better approach shots than most people I know, so he’s going to have more chances. He dunked an approach on a par 4 from about 130 yards a few months ago as well…

While any player can have a HIO, and some less skilled players have had them - the odds are much better for skilled players as a group vs less skilled. Those who claim it’s more luck are engaged in proof by exception.

You can call it luck, I consider it more a matter of probability.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Luck - pure luck. I've had 2 in the past 3 years and would much prefer to have eagles on par 5's. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Posted (edited)

My ultimate goal when I play is to score an eagle, I’ve had 2-3 in the past 4 years (none HIOs), most gratifying. If I ever have an albatross, closest I’ve been is about 6-8 feet - I’ll probably pass out…

My second goal is to break 80, my third is to break 40 on either nine.

2 minutes ago, Middler said:

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Many-many years ago, I remember watching a TV segment with Freddie Couples talking about this exact same thing. He had just made a hole-in-one that day during a tournament so they asked him his opinion. He responded by going back to the hole & hitting a bunch of shots to see what it took to do it again. He couldn't. He felt that while you improve your chances the better you are at hitting the green, it's still luck that it goes in the hole.

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54.12D & 58.08M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

My 2024 Titleist SM10 Wedge Review:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64494-vokey-sm10-wedges-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1065367

I'm going with luck! 
Irrespective of one's handicap, you have the skill to hit a golf ball, therefore anyone would have the luck to Ace a hole.
I've played golf with a guy who was also a scratch golfer & never had a hole-in-one. The guy could hit the ball. We had a mutual friend who was a 21 handicap, and had two hole-in-ones in 3 years, during the time we all played together.

It's a great feeling to Ace a hole. I'm not kicking the luck factor at all! ⛳

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Skill to get the ball to the green, luck that it goes in. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I think the answer is "yes". I think of it as a sliding scale with skill on one side and luck on the other.

You have to have enough skill to get the ball in the right direction and distance and enough luck for it to go in.   If you don't have skill, then you need to rely on luck.  If you're not a lucky person, you best have a lot of skill.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
On 6/8/2024 at 12:56 PM, chisag said:

I like Ben Hogans description “If you hit it within two feet of the hole, it is a great shot. If it goes in, it’s luck.” 

This.....

I am going to say hitting a hole is typically luck!  I have seen 30+ hdcp players hit them and skull it from the tee box.  The skill to constantly be close is a whole different topic.  

I have hit the cup, have rolled all the way around and just the other day hit the flagstick but have yet to make one.  9.9 times out of 10, I would prefer to have the skill to stick it close and make my birdie and move on.  However, just once, one stinkin time, I would like to have the luck for the dang ball to drop in the hole!  🤣

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Luck, but there's an old saying that luck is often found at the crossroads of preparation and execution. So I'd say developing skill helps give you better chances to put yourself in a position to get lucky.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

It's luck unless you're a Pro who plays 5-6 round/week and at that point, you're very good plus you have volume and opportunities. There aren't many pro's so it's luck for all of us. I've tried to estimate how many Par 3's I've played since I started playing 30 yrs ago, and it's likely around 5,000. I've never had an ace. Many of the people I've met who have had one were not great players. Sure you have to be able to hit the green but I think it's luck and like the Hogan quote above, a great shot is within a couple of feet...the rest is just luck. It's not like we're picking a spot to land the ball 6' left, or 10' long, and trying to spin it in the hole...this isn't a video game!! 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus, 9* turned 9.75*, Stiff, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60g, Cut 1" Short

Hybrid: :adams-small: Pro 2 Hybrid 18* Aldila Tour 75g Stiff 

Driving Iron: Akira Mi118 Prototype Utility 2 Iron

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790, 4-GW Dynamic Gold, Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore MID 56* & 60*, Bent 2* upright

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: GM2 Exchange 2 Mallet, Center Shaft, Super Stroke 2.0

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: Blue Tees Golf Series 3 Max Rangefinder

Bag: :sunmountain: Boom 14-Way Cart Bag

If you see a pro do it on tv they are as excited as we would be. In the hole is luck. Consistently hitting the green is skill.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Well, the first one I ever had I bladed a 7 iron, it rolled under a tree, skirted the bunker and ended up in the hole.

I'd say that was all on luck 🤣

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:callaway-small: Apex Pro 16

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo