Do you tell yourself the big lie?

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

A couple of them did not pay off and both cost me a stroke.

In situations like this, one is not lying to themselves saying their score would likely have been better not taking on the risky shots.  As with so many things, the article is not a universal truth.

I don’t think the article is about to taking risky shots; it is about thinking you should have played better than you did and thinking those risky shots should always pay off and that you should make every 3 footer..  

as for your round, You simply chose to take shots that would more likely result in higher scores   iF you think the score would have been better not taking the risky shot it should even be a consideration to try the risky shot.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don’t think the article is about to taking risky shots; it is about thinking you should have played better than you did and thinking those risky shots should always pay off and that you should make every 3 footer..  

as for your round, You simply chose to take shots that would more likely result in higher scores   iF you think the score would have been better not taking the risky shot it should even be a consideration to try the risky shot.  

You are still missing my point.  We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I think a couple of different applications of expectations come to mind.   First would be the harsh realization that statistically you should only shoot your handicap once every four or five rounds.  Your handicap is intended to represent what you could score, not what you will score.  Expecting you'll always shoot your handicap starts you down a path of golf disappointment!  And what fun is that?

I totally agree with comments about knowing your game, playing to your strengths and minimizing your weaknesses.  If you look at my current 11.7 index, you can tell I'm not the best golfer out here.  I'm realistic with what I can and cannot effectively do.  However, when faced with a situation that's consistent with one of my strengths, I expect I'm going to execute the shot and reap the rewards.  History says I hit over 70% of my fairways so when I step up to the tee, I expect I'll be in the short grass.  When I'm short of the green (as I usually am) and I'm chipping the ball, history says I get up and down for par 4.5 times per round.  So, I expect I'll get up and down on a regular basis.  Yes, there's disappointment when I don't execute, but having confidence when I step up to the shot is often half the battle.

Finally, I think there's a lot to be said about never giving up.   I play with too many people when they make a mistake (a ball out of play, miss a short putt, etc.) they let it affect them for the next three or four holes.  That's especially true with some of them who have the skill and capability of easily recovering from their miscues.  Rather than wallowing in self-pity or doubt, my focus is how do I put myself in the best position to try and recover.  Though I'm ecstatic over my up and down for pars, I equally embrace the up and downs for bogeys.  Those bogeys could have been much worse.  Rather than feeling down about a physical or mental mistake, you have to learn to let it go, do what you can do and rely on the capabilities you have.   

I was partnered with a single digit handicap friend who is his own worst enemy if he hits one bad shot.  As we approached a tough driving hole with water all the way down on the left and OB on the right.  I could see the growing tension as he walked to the tee and knew if he missed the shot, he'd be done for the rest of the match.  So, I reached into my bag, pulled out a ball and told him to throw it into the pond.  His expression was classic, but he did what he was told.  As he turned back I said "now that you put one in the water, don't worry about it and drive the ball in the fairway!"   He laughed and proceeded to stripe one down the middle!   

Titleist GT3 10 degree driver with a Mitsubishi MMT SpeedMesh 40 gram R2 shaft
Titleist GT2 four wood with a Mitsubishi MMT SpeedMesh 40 gram R2 shaft
Titleist GT2 seven wood with a Mitsubishi MMT SpeedMesh 40 gram R2 shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G30 irons, 6-PW, gold dot with Fujikura EXS 60i R2-Flex shaft
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

34 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

I think a couple of different applications of expectations come to mind.   First would be the harsh realization that statistically you should only shoot your handicap once every four or five rounds.  Your handicap is intended to represent what you could score, not what you will score.  Expecting you'll always shoot your handicap starts you down a path of golf disappointment!  And what fun is that?

I totally agree with comments about knowing your game, playing to your strengths and minimizing your weaknesses.  If you look at my current 11.7 index, you can tell I'm not the best golfer out here.  I'm realistic with what I can and cannot effectively do.  However, when faced with a situation that's consistent with one of my strengths, I expect I'm going to execute the shot and reap the rewards.  History says I hit over 70% of my fairways so when I step up to the tee, I expect I'll be in the short grass.  When I'm short of the green (as I usually am) and I'm chipping the ball, history says I get up and down for par 4.5 times per round.  So, I expect I'll get up and down on a regular basis.  Yes, there's disappointment when I don't execute, but having confidence when I step up to the shot is often half the battle.

Finally, I think there's a lot to be said about never giving up.   I play with too many people when they make a mistake (a ball out of play, miss a short putt, etc.) they let it affect them for the next three or four holes.  That's especially true with some of them who have the skill and capability of easily recovering from their miscues.  Rather than wallowing in self-pity or doubt, my focus is how do I put myself in the best position to try and recover.  Though I'm ecstatic over my up and down for pars, I equally embrace the up and downs for bogeys.  Those bogeys could have been much worse.  Rather than feeling down about a physical or mental mistake, you have to learn to let it go, do what you can do and rely on the capabilities you have.   

I was partnered with a single digit handicap friend who is his own worst enemy if he hits one bad shot.  As we approached a tough driving hole with water all the way down on the left and OB on the right.  I could see the growing tension as he walked to the tee and knew if he missed the shot, he'd be done for the rest of the match.  So, I reached into my bag, pulled out a ball and told him to throw it into the pond.  His expression was classic, but he did what he was told.  As he turned back I said "now that you put one in the water, don't worry about it and drive the ball in the fairway!"   He laughed and proceeded to stripe one down the middle!   

Love that answer and having your buddy sacrifice one to the golf Gods! Ha ha 

Play like a champion today!

My biggest enemy is.... wait for it..... ME!

I NEVER go into a round with any expectations.  Simple, right?  Wrong!

I've learned to mostly abolish my negative shots and it's impact on the next shot.  Could I have hit it better? different? Sure, but you can't get it back.

One of my issues used to be thinking I could pull off that hero shot... every time!

Sure, I want to do better, and yes I want that amazing shot that gives me a chance at having a great score for that hole. 

One thing about being part of MGS is that I read and absorb alot of different things that have improved my game. It's as much mental as it is physical,  if not, more!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to get my two cents in on this one.

I believe the first example  if someone is regularly shooting 94, and for no reason at all believe they should make better contact, and not hit bad shots, and somehow shoot 85 nine strokes better, this is deluding ones self, and living in a fantasy world, not just lying.  To just BLINDLY state, and believe that "ONE SHOULD BE BETTER", with no factual  basis for how often one does anything in the game of golf, is lying to oneself.

I however disagree with notion that the evaluation by a 10-12 handicap after their round, and looking over their stats, and seeing that they only got up and down 20% of the time, when their average is 40% of the time, and concluding that this could have been a couple strokes better, had I just met my average up/down percentage is "telling oneself a lie".  Sure the score is what it is, and I accept that.   I don't believe that believing I could have been better, knowing where I gave up a couple strokes compared to average performance, and utilizing this as a basis for what to continue to practice on, to hopefully improve the average performance percentage overall for all statistical categories one keeps. I don't believe this is an impediment to improvement. I think its the opposite.  Its evaluating ones round based on(ONES OWN) average up/downs, GIR, one putt %(especially at less than 8 feet), based on 250 rounds of entered data.  I think this is the essence of how one goes about improvement.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

When I was younger and playing competively or money games with the guys, sure I always told myself I could have shot 4-5 shots better than what my score was. Now I can always look back after a round and see where I might have played a hole differently, especially when on vacation or golf trip, but I know that I can shoot anywhere from the mid-70's to high 80's on any given course and any given time with my age and body.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons     Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

All shafts are Ping's CB Alta, Regular in Woods and Hybrids, Stiff in the irons ( I just like these shafts and never saw a reason to look for 

others)

On 8/2/2024 at 9:00 PM, cnosil said:

Dispersion depths can be deep:  https://hackmotion.com/shot-dispersion-in-golf/    Best to pick the middle and know that some will be short and some will be long.  

I agree with this. The first time I broke 80 was a strange course that didn't have flags color-coded for F/M/B and you could not see the surface of the green on a lot of shots, so I picked the middle number with good success. I believe course management also comes into play. For example, many of the holes on our league course are death (or close to it) if you are long. Short is a much better option. I feel like I have to consider "if I hit it very solid" in my math, otherwise I can be (and have been) in loads of trouble.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
7W: :callaway-small:Epic Flash 19* TourAD (can't remember the exact model)
4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 23* Recoil 780ES
5-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
54*, 58*: :Sub70: TAIII Black
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Most Recent TestFit For Golf 2.0

Great points, @Golf2Much. I like the idea of the anti-cap. Knowing the upper limits of one's game might help manage self-assessment.

I don't think I'm better than my bad scores (or at least I hope I don't). I know my potential is better, but a bad day drives me to keep working at the things that kept me from making the kinds of shots I know I can make.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Edel Array B-1

I enjoyed reading the article. I will say that anyone can look back at their round and see where they left some meat on the table. Its not going to change the result. It's not the big lie. But sometimes it helps you on the next round. I'll say to myself "last time I was here I did this I should club up or down whichever the case. It's more about learning from your mistakes. 

I can honestly say I USED to get lazy. I would look at the course markers and say I'm between the 150 and 100 and pull a 125 club. I didn't always take into consideration pin location. We have small greens. Just a "yup thats good enough". I'd hit the green and I could be 5 feet or 35 feet from the pin. My scores were still good enough. Nobody would complain about even par right. Good enough.

Well my course decided to remove all the yardage poles without telling anyone. I'm out there , hit a decent drive and ? No markers. Pulled out my laser range finder, got the exact distance and stuck the pin. I continued to play very well. I know my distances and now I knew the actual distance to the pin. That turned out to be my low round of 63. I learned my lesson and what I am capable of. My rounds since have still been in the 60's. Lets see how tomorrow goes. No pressure it's not going to change my life any. Just do the best I can on that day with the conditions Mother Nature gave me.

I used to use the range finder all the time when the course was new to me but over time just got lazy and the irons I was using at the time were not helping me any. So I was just going through the motions. 

I also learned years ago to not take hero shots. Play smart golf. That lowered my scores. We are all going to hit bad shots. It's how we handle it and recover from it. If you see me hit a bad shot its usually followed by a chuckle. I laugh it off and focus on the next shot. I've hit a great drive and chunked a pitch. Then still chipped in for birdie. If I let that chunk get to me it could have been a bogey.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag