Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

PXG Gen 7 Irons - 2024 Forum Review

Went to the range this morning to really work on set up with these irons. Being a 1/2in longer, I have noticed that I tend to set up too far away from the ball which has caused some fat and toe misses. 

I made sure to set up like I would normally and then feel like I drop my hands a touch. I will see how it translates to the course this afternoon, but practice was promising. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

2 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Went to the range this morning to really work on set up with these irons. Being a 1/2in longer, I have noticed that I tend to set up too far away from the ball which has caused some fat and toe misses. 

I made sure to set up like I would normally and then feel like I drop my hands a touch. I will see how it translates to the course this afternoon, but practice was promising. 

Wow, they really look toe up in the video. Has that been an issue or does that change at impact versus what it looks like at address?

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

2 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Wow, they really look toe up in the video. Has that been an issue or does that change at impact versus what it looks like at address?

It's a bad video really. It was below the ball level, so it looks a little off.  

So on that whole XP combo thing, here are some pics of the PXG Gen 7 XP in the 4 and 5 iron.

image.png

image.png

image.png

As you can see, the XPs certainly have some chunk to them. The soles are thick, and the toplines are thick, so much so that some of the "help" is peaking out at you when you address a shot. That can be off-putting for some purists out there. Me, I don't mind it. For starters, my gamer set has a TaylorMade Stealth DHY 4 hybrid in that spot in the bag.  If you're not familiar, the club tries to blend a hybrid and driving iron look in one package, which means you can also see some of that help at address.  I'm used to it. Second, philosophically, I want a set based on forgiveness for the days when I don't have it from a ball-striking standpoint, and I need that forgiveness in the long irons more than anywhere. My fitter was perfectly confident in my ability to game P's in the 4 and 5, and I probably could have, but also agreed that the XPs could prove beneficial for those few shots a round that I need them.  I also think they blend well enough into the P's; here's the 5 XP (on the left) next to a P 6 iron.

image.png

image.png

As a reminder, anyone looking to go this route (really with any OEM) has to pay attention to the lofts. The XPs are VERY strong.  Here are the specs from PXG's website:

image.png

A 41 degree pitching wedge!  Like I said, strong.  Here are the P specs:

image.png

So, to account for the obvious discrepancies between XP and P, these 4 and 5 irons are bent 2 degrees weak.

How are they doing on the course you ask?  I'm a big fan of the forgiveness, but I'd say that about the entire P lineup in my bag too.  I'll post more as I get on the course more (hopefully twice this weekend).  

Ask questions if ya got 'em!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Qi10 7w, 21, :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Accra TZ 95 stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :EVNROLL: EV8

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

3 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

It's interesting you had that result from your fitting too. I've been 1/4" short of standard for 3 sets now, but my PXG fitter was confident I needed to go with standard.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

It's interesting you had that result from your fitting too. I've been 1/4" short of standard for 3 sets now, but my PXG fitter was confident I needed to go with standard.

I think 2 of the BO guys are longer as well.  I was surprised coming from my Foreward Golf fitting which was the same. 

My understanding is that it helps get more height 

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

So on that whole XP combo thing, here are some pics of the PXG Gen 7 XP in the 4 and 5 iron.

image.png

image.png

image.png

As you can see, the XPs certainly have some chunk to them. The soles are thick, and the toplines are thick, so much so that some of the "help" is peaking out at you when you address a shot. That can be off-putting for some purists out there. Me, I don't mind it. For starters, my gamer set has a TaylorMade Stealth DHY 4 hybrid in that spot in the bag.  If you're not familiar, the club tries to blend a hybrid and driving iron look in one package, which means you can also see some of that help at address.  I'm used to it. Second, philosophically, I want a set based on forgiveness for the days when I don't have it from a ball-striking standpoint, and I need that forgiveness in the long irons more than anywhere. My fitter was perfectly confident in my ability to game P's in the 4 and 5, and I probably could have, but also agreed that the XPs could prove beneficial for those few shots a round that I need them.  I also think they blend well enough into the P's; here's the 5 XP (on the left) next to a P 6 iron.

image.png

image.png

As a reminder, anyone looking to go this route (really with any OEM) has to pay attention to the lofts. The XPs are VERY strong.  Here are the specs from PXG's website:

image.png

A 41 degree pitching wedge!  Like I said, strong.  Here are the P specs:

image.png

So, to account for the obvious discrepancies between XP and P, these 4 and 5 irons are bent 2 degrees weak.

How are they doing on the course you ask?  I'm a big fan of the forgiveness, but I'd say that about the entire P lineup in my bag too.  I'll post more as I get on the course more (hopefully twice this weekend).  

Ask questions if ya got 'em!

The forgiveness in the p model 4 and 5 are certainly there! Either that or I’m just hitting these remarkably well for my game. I do know that for some odd reason I have a ton of confidence when I look down at these clubs and how I’m going to hit the shot I want.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

32 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

I have a round scheduled for this afternoon and looking forward to seeing if I made the right changes this morning at the range. 

@GolfSpy AFG, do you notice a difference in feel when you strike the ball between the XP and P lines? That and does the swing feel any heavier or any noticeable difference with that bit of extra chunk in the XP? Love that you got the XP's weakened by 2 degrees as that is something I had been considering should I go with a Gen 7 set and combo those XP and P irons. 

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

11 minutes ago, Chux13 said:

@GolfSpy AFG, do you notice a difference in feel when you strike the ball between the XP and P lines? That and does the swing feel any heavier or any noticeable difference with that bit of extra chunk in the XP? Love that you got the XP's weakened by 2 degrees as that is something I had been considering should I go with a Gen 7 set and combo those XP and P irons. 

Honestly no, minimal difference at best. I think what I notice more than anything is the increased forgiveness or correction. There's tons of forgiveness in the Ps, but the XPs seem to me to be almost hyper-forgiving...all my shots with those clubs are these "straight-as-an-arrow" lasers, rather than the little baby draw I usually see.

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

Honestly no, minimal difference at best. I think what I notice more than anything is the increased forgiveness or correction. There's tons of forgiveness in the Ps, but the XPs seem to me to be almost hyper-forgiving...all my shots with those clubs are these "straight-as-an-arrow" lasers, rather than the little baby draw I usually see.

Right on! It is interesting to know just how much "forgiveness" there is with each one. For my game, I would have absolutely no problem hitting straight lasers, as long as they are going where I intend. I trend more toward that baby draw myself but would not bother me too much should it go away with the XP clubs. Still though, should the P's offer enough forgiveness as it is, this makes an intriguing case. How are you liking the graphite shafts? I have yet to make the transition from steel and have always heard the old verbiage that graphite flies higher and spinnier. I'm certain at this point graphite SHOULD be somewhat near steel. 

Chux Bag o' Magic:

9 minutes ago, Chux13 said:

Right on! It is interesting to know just how much "forgiveness" there is with each one. For my game, I would have absolutely no problem hitting straight lasers, as long as they are going where I intend. I trend more toward that baby draw myself but would not bother me too much should it go away with the XP clubs. Still though, should the P's offer enough forgiveness as it is, this makes an intriguing case. How are you liking the graphite shafts? I have yet to make the transition from steel and have always heard the old verbiage that graphite flies higher and spinnier. I'm certain at this point graphite SHOULD be somewhat near steel. 

A couple observations on the graphite shaft thing. For one, MMTs like Steelfibers are not truly graphite, they are a composite with steel still being a part of the shaft.  I'm no shaft guru so I'll stop there, but I think it's an important distinction. Second, if you spend much time on MGS HQ you'll read a consensus view from names I trust, Tony Covey in particular, that today's graphite shafts are absolutely superior to graphite shafts of old as well as steel.

For me, middle-aged guy that I am, I was plagued by golfer's elbow for quite a while. Some physical therapy helped, but I'm certain a switch to Steelfibers helped even more.  I believe @Josh Parker has a similar story...?

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

For me, middle-aged guy that I am, I was plagued by golfer's elbow for quite a while. Some physical therapy helped, but I'm certain a switch to Steelfibers helped even more.  I believe @Josh Parker has a similar story...?

@Chux13

Now a days, graphite performs as good if not better than steel.  They can produce so many changes and even someone who swings as hard as Bryson is playing graphite. For me, I play over 200 rounds a year and hit off artificial turf at our range and it plays havoc on joints with any amount of negative attack angle. I swapped to graphite on this set and my elbows thank me. Less pain.  I am getting a higher flight but less spin than I was seeing. I'm working on getting some numbers together on the Mevo+ that will be posted in the next week or so comparing these and my Srixons. 

Hope this answers a few concerns. Another person I'll ask to chime in on graphite is @chisag.  I'll have to find that thread where this was discussed in depth when I get to my computer. 

@Josh Parker @GolfSpy AFG amazing feedback on the shafts. Thank you for your insight. I have had the same issues @Josh Parker with hitting mats and pain in the arms. I did not even consider how graphite could help in this regard and am now even more convinced it needs to be an option the day I decide to go do a fitting. Great stuff folks, really appreciate it.

Chux Bag o' Magic:

2 minutes ago, Chux13 said:

@Josh Parker @GolfSpy AFG amazing feedback on the shafts. Thank you for your insight. I have had the same issues @Josh Parker with hitting mats and pain in the arms. I did not even consider how graphite could help in this regard and am now even more convinced it needs to be an option the day I decide to go do a fitting. Great stuff folks, really appreciate it.

Absolutely!  For me it has made a huge difference in just this little bit of time. 

3 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Absolutely!  For me it has made a huge difference in just this little bit of time. 

I was bummed there were no graphite shafts for me to hit with the P790s last week. Now I am even more convinced I need to try them. Not that I have any pain with my swings, but that the performance you guys are seeing makes me wonder if it could help my game even further.

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

@Chux13, the write up on MMTs referencing the steel construction:

"Designed to maximize the benefits of both composite and steel performance, our patent pending Metal Mesh technology represents the very best of the Mitsubishi end-to-end manufacturing approach. As layers of prepeg are stacked to build the shaft's core, a small section of unique Metal Mesh is integrated towards the tip. This Metal Mesh - made up of individually braided strands of 304 stainless steel - improves the density and stability of the shaft, while also allowing for thinner overall composite wall construction. Together this yields a finely tuned, highly responsive shaft that still provides the consistent launch and spin control needed for effective iron play."

I think you'll find a similar write-up on Steelfiber's and how steel, well, fibers, are interwoven in the shaft.

Just an FYI.

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

I was bummed there were no graphite shafts for me to hit with the P790s last week. Now I am even more convinced I need to try them. Not that I have any pain with my swings, but that the performance you guys are seeing makes me wonder if it could help my game even further.

We hit steel in my fitting and tried prob 5 different ones. Nothing came close to the performance. 

2 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

We hit steel in my fitting and tried prob 5 different ones. Nothing came close to the performance. 

Same here.  I have been gaming composite/graphite, but said I was willing to try steel.  Fitter gave me about 5 swings with 2 different steel shafts and said "nope" and we moved on to graphite and never looked back.

1 minute ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

I think you'll find a similar write-up on Steelfiber's and how steel, well, fibers, are interwoven in the shaft.

... The fibers in the Steelfiber shafts are the diameter of a strand of hair. 🤓  I am not sure I would call them a combination and my secret suspicion is they did that just to convert those that played steel shafts and wanted to convince them that graphite was better with the added steel fibers. But in the end it's potato potahto and performance is all that counts. Once I dialed in the correct flex I have never played a better iron shaft than the Steelfibers. I have mentioned this many times but the LPGA is filled with some of the most accurate iron players on the planet and sooooooo many of them play Steelfibers. 

... No one shaft fits all and feel is subjective but there are so many amazing graphite iron options available right now I don't see why anyone would still play steel shafts. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

28 minutes ago, Chux13 said:

I can also attest to the wonders of graphite. I switched to the Recoil 95 F4's this summer and my elbows are almost healed after years of golfers elbow and tennis elbow this last year. I don't notice any drop-off at all compared to the DG and DG120's I've been playing for the past 20+ years. I just wish I'd done it sooner.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

21 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

@Chux13, the write up on MMTs referencing the steel construction:

"Designed to maximize the benefits of both composite and steel performance, our patent pending Metal Mesh technology represents the very best of the Mitsubishi end-to-end manufacturing approach. As layers of prepeg are stacked to build the shaft's core, a small section of unique Metal Mesh is integrated towards the tip. This Metal Mesh - made up of individually braided strands of 304 stainless steel - improves the density and stability of the shaft, while also allowing for thinner overall composite wall construction. Together this yields a finely tuned, highly responsive shaft that still provides the consistent launch and spin control needed for effective iron play."

Just an FYI.

And I think this is where the innovation over time has caught up in the strengthening and reduction of shaft twist at impact. I currently have some cheapo heavy graphite shafts on my wedges and can feel those suckers twist on toe shots. Its rather unpleasant and not fun at all. Then again, my fault going for the cheap stuff just to have all black off brand wedges 😄

Chux Bag o' Magic:

All of this conversation, for me, just drives home why the fitting experience is so important. PXG and their process is very accessible at the price they charge for a fitting and, as our testers have pointed out, brought them to options they probably would have not considered before! Love the content folks!

Chux Bag o' Magic:

Had a good round with the irons this afternoon.  The changes I made at the range this morning made a world of difference and I'm striking the ball well.  

4 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I was the opposite.. I lost all control with graphite and steel fiber shafts. We tried quite a few and just couldn’t get one to work for me.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

20 minutes ago, Coulter said:

I was the opposite.. I lost all control with graphite and steel fiber shafts. We tried quite a few and just couldn’t get one to work for me.

... Interesting. What weights and flex did you try? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

44 minutes ago, Coulter said:

I got 3 whole swings with the MMT shaft before he pulled it out of my hands.. He could tell the weight I needed wasn't there.. It did feel pretty decent though.. Could see myself using them in the future, just not at this point of my life

Edited by 3Putt4Double

:PXG:Bubba Ivy 

6 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

I can also attest to the wonders of graphite. I switched to the Recoil 95 F4's this summer and my elbows are almost healed after years of golfers elbow and tennis elbow this last year. I don't notice any drop-off at all compared to the DG and DG120's I've been playing for the past 20+ years. I just wish I'd done it sooner.

After reading all the feedback on steel fiber and graphite in my new PXG Gen 7’s I ordered the MMT 105 shafts in stiff. I have always played DG steel shafts. Recently the DG Tour 120’s S400. However, after being wounded in action when I was in the military along with a multitude of other injuries my body is really starting to let me know. So, I am hoping with the MMT shafts that I can still go after it and not feel it for days after. Thank you to everyone that has provided the feedback on the steel fiber and graphite shafts!

Play like a champion today!

11 minutes ago, Javs said:

After reading all the feedback on steel fiber and graphite in my new PXG Gen 7’s I ordered the MMT 105 shafts in stiff. I have always played DG steel shafts. Recently the DG Tour 120’s S400. However, after being wounded in action when I was in the military along with a multitude of other injuries my body is really starting to let me know. So, I am hoping with the MMT shafts that I can still go after it and not feel it for days after. Thank you to everyone that has provided the feedback on the steel fiber and graphite shafts!

I'd love to hear how the MMT's work for you and how they compare to the DG's.

Putter:
Technology:

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Interesting. What weights and flex did you try? 

If I remember right we began with the kbs 120 stiff flex(my sub70 699 pro irons have the kbs 130 which are extra stiff). We started with this to get me in something familiar to my current set. I believe the lightest shaft we tried was 95 gram stiff steelfiber shaft. My fitter really didn’t like anything outside the steel stiff- extra stiff shafts. We ended up between the kbs 120 and the dg 115 x100 shafts and my fitter preferred the dg 115. I think the reason for this was mostly due to a quick transition from backswing to downswing which caused some of the graphite/steel fiber shafts to not be right for me.

Unfortunately there was a problem with getting my trackman info from the fitting so I’m not able to provide a more detailed account of my fitting as I was relying on this information to provide the exact process.