Callaway Opus Wedges - 2024 Forum Review

Just now, GolfSpy_SHARK said:

That picture is literally next to our camper, if you aren’t crocking it camping the. I don’t want to know ya 😂

flip flops are things for your toes, I don’t need floss between my toes 😂

Haha. You just don't know until you throw a pair on...

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Had the good fortune today of getting out. Was able to get this video out of it thanks to @GolfSpy BOS

this video shows exactly what I’m looking to get out of the OPUS line. I would like to get some check out of this on the second hop and stop closer to the pin.  Currently I’m getting a lot of run out

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Hey everyone, its been a minute! Super excited to hear that the wedges are on the way. I've been swamped this week between being sick and having company wide meetings, but I'm getting out to the course tomorrow to try and get some good baseline data on my current wedges. It's forecast to be hot and sunny, so hopefully I don't get too worn down, but we'll see how it goes

Titleist TSR2 9degree

Callaway Paradym X 3W

Callaway Epic Max 5W

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 4-PW

Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50-degree, Cleveland Tour Action 588 56-degree

Nike Putter

I got a chance to see these beauties in person today at DSG and they look better in person than the photos I've seen. They're definitely an upgrade over the Jaws line, I love the simplicity of the Opus over how busy the back of the Jaws were. 

@GolfSpy_SHARK, great shot!

I keep seeing grinds being mentioned and saw that one grind gained one of you 20 yards over another grind but are different grinds really that important and if so what happens when you are in a situation when you don’t have the grind you need? I realize you would probably just be out of luck but it’s a bit confusing to me.. can all grinds do all the things you need?

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

7 minutes ago, Coulter said:

I keep seeing grinds being mentioned and saw that one grind gained one of you 20 yards over another grind but are different grinds really that important and if so what happens when you are in a situation when you don’t have the grind you need? I realize you would probably just be out of luck but it’s a bit confusing to me.. can all grinds do all the things you need?

Lots of different grinds out there. The OPuS platinum was limited to S and Z which the S is an all around grind seems like, mostly used for full wedge shots but I find that it’s great for a lot. The Z grind is a low bounce option which I’m excited for because it’s the total opposite of my current 60* which is high bounce. Designed for steeper swings so you don’t dig as much in theory.

are there specific grinds you’re wondering about?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

Lots of different grinds out there. The OPuS platinum was limited to S and Z which the S is an all around grind seems like, mostly used for full wedge shots but I find that it’s great for a lot. The Z grind is a low bounce option which I’m excited for because it’s the total opposite of my current 60* which is high bounce. Designed for steeper swings so you don’t dig as much in theory.

are there specific grinds you’re wondering about?

I guess I was just wondering in general. The more I learn about golf equipment the more there is to it. It’s kind of amazing really. I had no clue that shafts were as important as they are for particular swings until late last year when I got fit for the 1st time.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

1 hour ago, Coulter said:

I guess I was just wondering in general. The more I learn about golf equipment the more there is to it. It’s kind of amazing really. I had no clue that shafts were as important as they are for particular swings until late last year when I got fit for the 1st time.

Much like you I had no clue in grinds in the past. Never gave it much attention until recently realize I prefer a lower bounce 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Much like you I had no clue in grinds in the past. Never gave it much attention until recently realize I prefer a lower bounce 

Is this something that would be determined in a fitting or just reading up on grinds, how they work, and preference?

7 minutes ago, Coulter said:

Is this something that would be determined in a fitting or just reading up on grinds, how they work, and preference?

Definitly a combination. I would always say and I know many others would agree a fitting is a great place to start. 

at this point I Definitly have a general understanding of grinds and what I prefer. I can’t even say I prefer the low bounce option I went with I just know I don’t love the high bounce currently in play.

i do like the simplified options in grinds callway had offered, makes me question my decisions less 😂

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

6 hours ago, Coulter said:

Right there with you brotha man. I second @GolfSpy_SHARK in that combining some research, knowing your tendencies with the wedges, and giving them a run on some grass or at a studio will help greatly when trying to figure out what bounce works best for you. I for one have never experienced different grinds in wedges as I have always just had generic wedges. Super fired up to see how versatile that Z grind will be around the tight lies we get out here on dry Arizona courses and hard compacted bunkers.

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

12 hours ago, GolfSpy_SHARK said:

Had the good fortune today of getting out. Was able to get this video out of it thanks to @GolfSpy BOS

this video shows exactly what I’m looking to get out of the OPUS line. I would like to get some check out of this on the second hop and stop closer to the pin.  Currently I’m getting a lot of run out

looks like you were in the rough for that shot, i would expect run out.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

37 minutes ago, bama no 1 said:

looks like you were in the rough for that shot, i would expect run out.

It was sitting up and I clipped it well, I personally would have expected atleast a little check not.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

So in lieu of arrival of these awesome Opus wedges, I've been combing through my shot scope data. My current 50° is my 100yd club on a normal smooth swing. I can muscle it to 115-120 if need be, but I like my Freddy Couples tempo. My 56° usually flies around 70-75yds. Obviously both are versatile and depending on how much/little gas I put on em determines the trajectory, spin, etc.

I use the 56 for all kinds of shots around the green, but also use an 8 or 9 iron for bump and runs if conditions are right for it. Higher shots, lower shots, the 56 is right at home so I'm really curious to see what I can manufacture with the incoming 54 and 58. I know Callaway has our orders, now we wait.

Scott J

PXG Driver, AP2 irons, Cleveland wedges and Odyssey white ice 2.0

Had a ROUGH day yesterday, wedge testing did not go quite how I planned, however I felt good about my decision to go with the Opus 50° and 56° wedges with the S (regular) grind. There are only a few spots on most of my normal courses where you're going to be using the wedge from a tight lie, mostly I'm hitting from the rough, and quite often the ball is propped up on the rough which makes it really tough to get a solid strike with my 60° iron since it cuts through so easily and I often wind up just sliding under the ball and pop it straight up. Had a few good shots from about 100 yards out with my 50°, but my current 56° sand wedge just doesn't work for me for some reason. Going to be doing some travelling this week and playing some new courses so hopefully I can get some better play time from different lies with my current wedges.

Other than that, I'm super excited to try out these wedges, and like it has already been said, these things look AWESOME when you see them in person. I think they need to fire whoever did the photos on the Callaway website, they do not do these wedges justice at ALL.

Titleist TSR2 9degree

Callaway Paradym X 3W

Callaway Epic Max 5W

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 4-PW

Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50-degree, Cleveland Tour Action 588 56-degree

Nike Putter

28 minutes ago, Chas c said:

these things look AWESOME when you see them in person. I think they need to fire whoever did the photos on the Callaway website, they do not do these wedges justice at ALL.

I totally agree, I love how they looked in the marketing material but in person it's amazing how much better they look. I've never been a Callaway wedge fan but all I do now is think about these. 

14 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I totally agree, I love how they looked in the marketing material but in person it's amazing how much better they look. I've never been a Callaway wedge fan but all I do now is think about these. 

My wedge life up until this test 🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20240901-125919.png.5b85e375abac4fe55d8f5f7e6167a934.png

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

Yay! Excited for you!

Driver:  image.png.ac16a10c2b861fff646dd08647f76d1f.png 849D
     Fuji ‘24 Ventus Blue 5R
3-5Hy:  Pinemeadow Command BK
6-PW:  image.png.e76c3a80e959f4571ac9d38b658506a0.png 699 v2
     Mitsu MMT 80g
Wedges:  image.png.bddbadf2cd48c1b40cf591e520848ebb.png MAX milled 50° (bent to 48°), 54°, 58°
     Mitsu Kuro Kage black 2G S/R
Putter:  image.jpeg.4a8b0ee0fbff31934a2e15fc68a7bfe7.jpeg King Supernova 20
     ArmLock AL2 grip
Ball:  image.png.10667a299706a9d7d3afd32e78f27847.png Pro Soft
Bag: image.png.1645cda6e679afe5a2659ddb2ecb59d1.png  C130

Wine is sunlight held together by water - Galileo 

On 8/30/2024 at 11:38 AM, GolfSpy_SHARK said:

World class pitch from there sir.

2 hours ago, injectedcutty said:

Shewwwwww buddy!!!!!.....20240903_135706.jpg.09b78f230af3756183d05306a31406a4.jpg

It looks great.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

17 hours ago, Shankster said:

Thanks buddy. Was a great round overall after a long time off. Wedges definitely feel like they are on the hot seat because they behaved.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

3 hours ago, injectedcutty said:

Shewwwwww buddy!!!!!.....20240903_135706.jpg.09b78f230af3756183d05306a31406a4.jpg

Boyyyyyyy howdy, looks clean from my window buddy!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

21 hours ago, Shankster said:

Settle down now... it was OK. Don't go inflating his ego.  There's not enough room in Massachusetts for his and mine.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 - Terra Forza White | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :ping-small: G430 3-Hybrid - Kai'li White 80s

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:L.A.B.: Mezz Max | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | Vortex Blade | Ghost Maverick Black Ops - Forum Edition | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Beauty!

Driver:  image.png.ac16a10c2b861fff646dd08647f76d1f.png 849D
     Fuji ‘24 Ventus Blue 5R
3-5Hy:  Pinemeadow Command BK
6-PW:  image.png.e76c3a80e959f4571ac9d38b658506a0.png 699 v2
     Mitsu MMT 80g
Wedges:  image.png.bddbadf2cd48c1b40cf591e520848ebb.png MAX milled 50° (bent to 48°), 54°, 58°
     Mitsu Kuro Kage black 2G S/R
Putter:  image.jpeg.4a8b0ee0fbff31934a2e15fc68a7bfe7.jpeg King Supernova 20
     ArmLock AL2 grip
Ball:  image.png.10667a299706a9d7d3afd32e78f27847.png Pro Soft
Bag: image.png.1645cda6e679afe5a2659ddb2ecb59d1.png  C130

Wine is sunlight held together by water - Galileo 

Love when you get this email:IMG_4546.jpeg

but hate when it gets updated to a delay to 9/5…..

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

On 9/3/2024 at 12:57 PM, injectedcutty said:

chris-farley-shades.gif

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)