Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golfing Holiday 2013 – Advice!

hbaker

Hey Guys,

This year (2012) I have missed out on a lot of golf due to work and other commitments and I have decided to plan an annual (if my finances let me) "Golfing Holiday" starting in 2013. Obviously I would like to do a little more than golf but would love to ensure I see the best courses and meet some cool people/golfers on my trip.

That said, I am from the Gold Coast in Australia where it is golfing season all year round which I know is not the case around the world (sorry to rub it in haha)

I was initially thinking UK and Ireland for 2013 which as far as google tells me the best time is July/August...

Has anyone been on a "Golfing Holiday" or could recommend somewhere different? The other scenario I was thinking was it would be cool if I organised it to coincide with a Major Tournament or Event that I could go to or something...

Anyways, let me know your thoughts so I can make the most of it!

Thanks

It would be nice just to say that you were at "a major," however the crowds at the majors are, well, major. I used to go to the Byron Nelson every year, and the Colonial also occasionally. When Byron was alive all the big names came to them but I am not so sure now. On Thursday and Friday, the crowds were pretty light. You could get a very nice view and had the option following particular players or staying in one spot. I even followed Tiger for a few holes and did not have to look over a crowd 10 people deep. However, when I see the majors on TV even Duffy Waldorf has a crowd 5 deep.

Also, the Colonial is near downtown, while the Byron was in the suburbs. Traffic in and out of the Byron is a breeze, however, the Colonial was always a pain in the butt. Depending on where the major is, this needs to be taken into account. Any hotel close to the event will be priced accordingly.

I do not mean to dissuade you on your trip, and I highly recommend going to a big league pro event somewhere in the world. If for no other reason to study their course management, however, going to a major, to me, seems to be not as fun. Other than being there at the moment when history is made. But realistically that would be when the final ball drops in the hole on 18. I would love to be in the front row then.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Have you planned to stay in Australia? Sydney and Melbourne offer awesome Golf experiences and you might get a little more bang for the buck ot paying for the overseas trip`(although with the OZ prices for everything these days we get better deals going somewhere else hehe)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

This year (2012) I have missed out on a lot of golf due to work and other commitments and I have decided to plan an annual (if my finances let me) "Golfing Holiday" starting in 2013. Obviously I would like to do a little more than golf but would love to ensure I see the best courses and meet some cool people/golfers on my trip.

That said, I am from the Gold Coast in Australia where it is golfing season all year round which I know is not the case around the world (sorry to rub it in haha)

I was initially thinking UK and Ireland for 2013 which as far as google tells me the best time is July/August...

Has anyone been on a "Golfing Holiday" or could recommend somewhere different? The other scenario I was thinking was it would be cool if I organised it to coincide with a Major Tournament or Event that I could go to or something...

Anyways, let me know your thoughts so I can make the most of it!

Thanks

Why not Fly into Los Angeles as it is probably the easiest place to fly to in the U.S. from Austrailia. There are a bunch of great course from Los Angeles to San Diego. If you booked your trip in February you could watch the PGA tourney at Riviera (Northern Trust Open - Feb 14-17). Or you could get to Arizona and watch the WCG Accenture Match Play the following weekend. Great golf in Arizona as well. That's what i would do.

LEFTY CANUCK

Irons: Nike VR / Dynamic Golf (S-Flex)

Wedges: Nike 52, 56, 60 / Cobra 64

Hybrid: Nike 3/20^ / Mitsubishi Rayon

Fairway: Adams 4/17^ Speedline Fast 12 / G ProLaunch

Driver: Callaway 10^ FTI / Fujikura Speeder (S-Flex)

Putter: Nike OZ-2 Modified

Ball: Prov V1

Shoes: Adidas

Bag: Nike (Stand)

Range Finder: Bushnell Laser

Handicap:6

Archived