Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Putter Advice

Bogey in The Woods

So I got the Rife putter a while back. After 6 rounds with it in my bag I have come to a very significant understanding: that type of blade putter is simply not for me. I am not even remotely consistent with it. When i think i know how far it will roll with a specific stroke, I am wrong. I simply don't have the skills to work it. 

Re-enter my old war-torn and custom painted Rossa. last two rounds with it and my putts per round have dropped an average of 8 strokes. So I THINK that I need to remain in the realm of the mallet putters. 

I am not in a place to spend Scotty type of money on a putter. Yes, I will be buying used more than likely. I have only hit with two other mallets: Nike Drone 2.0, and Daddy Longlegs.

So I am looking for suggestions on a mallet that I could pick up used in the Under a c-note range.

suggestions??

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

There are tons of choices depending on the style you want. Hell I've got a lightly used Tmag white smoke you can have for 30$ plus shipping ;)

Seriously though. Give us an example of what you want or what toe hang and weight you want and we might can narrow it down a bit.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

If the Rossa is working, why not stick with it?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Prolly a good idea. Don't fix what isn't broken

Pot. Kettle. Black. 😄

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Pot. Kettle. Black. 😄

Hey, he said funds were limited. If it's working and he wants something else, put it toward that instead.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Really, if youre willing to go the used route, thers a multitude of mallet putters that can be had on Ebay.  You certainly couldnt go wrong with an Odyssey mallet, especially a 2-Ball.  Ping makes some great mallets, as does TMAG and Nike.  Theres lots of options out there.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Just a thought Bogey, I was trolling on Rock Bottom Golf's site the other day and they have some bargain putters for sale - well worth the look.  I'm going to buy the Spider SI with the voucher I won for review of the month and I think it will cost me under $100 AU so I reckon they would have some new putters you might be able to afford.  Good luck!

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Hey, he said funds were limited. If it's working and he wants something else, put it toward that instead.

It isnt that the Rossa is or isnt working. It was had from eBay for something like 30 bucks. It was my firstmallet. When I hqve gone into Golfsmith or Dicks or even Academy, I hqve tried different putters that just "feel" right. So I am looking to up my game in putting on the cheap.

I hit the Drone 2.0 yesterday and it felt nice. It was wierd for me because it was a center shafted putter.

So my real aim is to get ideas from those guys not playing Scotty. I like the Tmag Longlegs type of putter. I like the Drone 2.0. I am wanting to hear what you guys who play these styke of putters think.

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

My favorite mallet ever was the Itsy Bitsy Spider CS'd. Another was the Mini Manta. The B head. I've got a standard manta somewhere at the house. I'm at the beach right now but remind me in a week and I'll see if I can find it and if I can you can have it free

In The Bag

I have a mini-mallet. Odyssey Rossie. I love it. It's honestly the only putter I've ever owned and feel no need to get a new one.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

I have a mini-mallet. Odyssey Rossie. I love it. It's honestly the only putter I've ever owned and feel no need to get a new one.

Oh just you wait... I used to think the same thing lol

Go to your local big box and try em all out. Narrow it down to a top three and then on your way home grab a twelve pack. Once you get home start drinking the beers. After about six of them continue drinking and pull up fleabay. Search for the top three putters you came up with and change the settings to "ending soonest." Continue to drink beers and monitor ads. When it "feels right" go ahead and make some BIN's or bids.

Who cares if you spend a couple hundred on a putter, if it doesn't work just put it back up there and sell it ASAP. That's kind of the fun of golf equipment. It's very easy to turn and burn equipment. You can demo/own stuff at minimal loss if you do your research.

Go to your local big box and try em all out. Narrow it down to a top three and then on your way home grab a twelve pack. Once you get home start drinking the beers. After about six of them continue drinking and pull up fleabay. Search for the top three putters you came up with and change the settings to "ending soonest." Continue to drink beers and monitor ads. When it "feels right" go ahead and make some BIN's or bids.

Who cares if you spend a couple hundred on a putter, if it doesn't work just put it back up there and sell it ASAP. That's kind of the fun of golf equipment. It's very easy to turn and burn equipment. You can demo/own stuff at minimal loss if you do your research.

THATS IT!!!! I was just leaving out the beers!!!!

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

I have used that approach and missed out on the putters and bought a Hammer driver.....there are some bad side affects to that approach.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

I have used that approach and missed out on the putters and bought a Hammer driver.....there are some bad side affects to that approach.

OK. If anything deserves to have a detailed story told, it is THAT!

What was your thought process?

Was it the cool infomercial?

We gotta know! 

If anything deserves its own thread, YOU DO SIR, FOR THIS STORY!

:D

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

Not sure it needs its own thread, but let's just say that things tend to go downhill when I start getting deep into a bottle of Grey Goose.  We had some friends over the house for a BBQ and was doing well having some beers and relaxing when my wife asked if one of our friends had seen the pro shop that is my golf room in the basement.  Showed the guys around a bit and they asked how I ended up with so many putters and told them an iPad and eBay are my downfalls....and that I was actually stalking a few auctions that ended later that evening.  Had it not been for them I would have forgot about the auctions and just finished my night with a few hour snooze in the hammock in the yard....all would have been fine.

Fast forward a few hours and the beer was replaced by Goose and soda; which by that point was more than likely Goose on the rocks if I follow my normal path.  I had my iPad out with me looking at the auctions and one of my wife's female friends asked if I ever bought anything golf related off of the infomercials on TV since she got her Dad and brother the Hammer driver a year or so earlier.  As I was on eBay I looked it up and for a princely sum of $14 shipped I had a new Hammer on the way.  My wife says that she tried to talk me out of it so that I did not have to yell POOOOOWWWW!!!! after every tee ball and look like an idiot.  We all know that without the yelling the Hammer is just inferior to anything else on the market.

Worst part was that my wife had to explain most of this to me when it arrived in the mail since I had no idea what I had done.  I had some rough nights in college but normally got over them by middle of the next day, but never have I had a poor decision due to booze come back and get me five days later.  I still have the damn thing in the basement as a reminder of what happens when you have eBay, PayPal, peer pressure and poor judgement.  

As a side note it came in handy at a tournament that I was playing with some client's at work.  They had gotten wind that I was a decent player and invited me to be the ringer in one of the outings.  I showed up on the range with it in my bag and as I was hitting balls told them that I got this new driver and was just killing it....out comes the Hammer.  They actually thought I was serious and after a few swings they wanted to try it out and see if it would work for them as well as it worked for me.  It was then that I understood how Jack Hamm sold so many of these things.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Not sure it needs its own thread, but let's just say that things tend to go downhill when I start getting deep into a bottle of Grey Goose.  We had some friends over the house for a BBQ and was doing well having some beers and relaxing when my wife asked if one of our friends had seen the pro shop that is my golf room in the basement.  Showed the guys around a bit and they asked how I ended up with so many putters and told them an iPad and eBay are my downfalls....and that I was actually stalking a few auctions that ended later that evening.  Had it not been for them I would have forgot about the auctions and just finished my night with a few hour snooze in the hammock in the yard....all would have been fine.

Fast forward a few hours and the beer was replaced by Goose and soda; which by that point was more than likely Goose on the rocks if I follow my normal path.  I had my iPad out with me looking at the auctions and one of my wife's female friends asked if I ever bought anything golf related off of the infomercials on TV since she got her Dad and brother the Hammer driver a year or so earlier.  As I was on eBay I looked it up and for a princely sum of $14 shipped I had a new Hammer on the way.  My wife says that she tried to talk me out of it so that I did not have to yell POOOOOWWWW!!!! after every tee ball and look like an idiot.  We all know that without the yelling the Hammer is just inferior to anything else on the market.

Worst part was that my wife had to explain most of this to me when it arrived in the mail since I had no idea what I had done.  I had some rough nights in college but normally got over them by middle of the next day, but never have I had a poor decision due to booze come back and get me five days later.  I still have the damn thing in the basement as a reminder of what happens when you have eBay, PayPal, peer pressure and poor judgement.  

As a side note it came in handy at a tournament that I was playing with some client's at work.  They had gotten wind that I was a decent player and invited me to be the ringer in one of the outings.  I showed up on the range with it in my bag and as I was hitting balls told them that I got this new driver and was just killing it....out comes the Hammer.  They actually thought I was serious and after a few swings they wanted to try it out and see if it would work for them as well as it worked for me.  It was then that I understood how Jack Hamm sold so many of these things.

This deserves to be an actual blog post on the front page.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

I have never felt so good about myself as I do right now. 

I can not thank you enough for sharing!

B)  B)

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

Not sure it needs its own thread, but let's just say that things tend to go downhill when I start getting deep into a bottle of Grey Goose. We had some friends over the house for a BBQ and was doing well having some beers and relaxing when my wife asked if one of our friends had seen the pro shop that is my golf room in the basement. Showed the guys around a bit and they asked how I ended up with so many putters and told them an iPad and eBay are my downfalls....and that I was actually stalking a few auctions that ended later that evening. Had it not been for them I would have forgot about the auctions and just finished my night with a few hour snooze in the hammock in the yard....all would have been fine.

Fast forward a few hours and the beer was replaced by Goose and soda; which by that point was more than likely Goose on the rocks if I follow my normal path. I had my iPad out with me looking at the auctions and one of my wife's female friends asked if I ever bought anything golf related off of the infomercials on TV since she got her Dad and brother the Hammer driver a year or so earlier. As I was on eBay I looked it up and for a princely sum of $14 shipped I had a new Hammer on the way. My wife says that she tried to talk me out of it so that I did not have to yell POOOOOWWWW!!!! after every tee ball and look like an idiot. We all know that without the yelling the Hammer is just inferior to anything else on the market.

Worst part was that my wife had to explain most of this to me when it arrived in the mail since I had no idea what I had done. I had some rough nights in college but normally got over them by middle of the next day, but never have I had a poor decision due to booze come back and get me five days later. I still have the damn thing in the basement as a reminder of what happens when you have eBay, PayPal, peer pressure and poor judgement.

As a side note it came in handy at a tournament that I was playing with some client's at work. They had gotten wind that I was a decent player and invited me to be the ringer in one of the outings. I showed up on the range with it in my bag and as I was hitting balls told them that I got this new driver and was just killing it....out comes the Hammer. They actually thought I was serious and after a few swings they wanted to try it out and see if it would work for them as well as it worked for me. It was then that I understood how Jack Hamm sold so many of these things.

Well they can't all be tour issue Scotty's now can they? ;) haha I bought a left handed fishing reel last week. Oops bourbon...

• 2 weeks later...

So i wanted to thank everyone who gave suggestions and asked questions that I needed to consider and hadn't. 

To that end I would like to share the turn of events starting last Friday:

FRIDAY: I had taken what I had been thinking about since talking to guys on here about putters. I went to Golfsmith and test hit several. The ones I liked were both around the $130 price point. Wife said no...... so I went home and hopped on eBay. My first choice was an itsy bitsy spider. Watched several auctions and most ended at or above $100. No go. Found a nike Drone 2.0 that i liked (go figure). Bid on it for auction that ended on Saturday. 

SATURDAY: While doing chores and "Honey-dos" Won the Nike for 38 bucks. Went to tell wife, and she said"Oh yeah? I just bid on another putter for you." It was an itsy bitsy spider. 

SUNDAY (Father's Day): Wife sends me to play a country club I had never been to before. On the 8th hole my phone goes off telling me I got the Itsy Bitsy for $40. Happiness ensues.

SUNDAY NIGHT: Am at home with wife watching Spieth do his thing and DJ not do his. Am frantically posting on the Open thread. "what a shot" "OMG" "Please kill Joe Buck" etc...... Watch the finish. Explain to the wife what all the fuss about the course was about, explain about Jason Day, explain that, "yes, that was Wayne Gretzky". At end of roller coaster night go to sleep.

MONDAY MORNING (at work :mad: ): mid morning in the shop and in the middle of a gear box teardown when cell phone goes off with a text message.

Jdiddyesquire: Dude. You just won the putter on MGS.  

Bogey: What!!!!

Where??? What Thread????

Diddy: Announced on Twitter. Hasnt posted to the forums yet, 

Bogey: (Expletive better not repeated here)

Diddy: But you know, being a Nike guy, I'm sure you'd rather have the Nike hat I won. Haha. 

in a 36 Hour period i go from 2 to 5 putters.  I now have the Nike and Ping in hand. Still waiting on the Tmag. 

Let me just say this Ping is SICK!!!!! The smoothest looking piece of equipment I have even had. The labworx really did a hell of a job on this thing. Cant wait to put it in play on Tuesday afternoon when I play hookie from work. 

Thanks again to everyone who had input, all the people who shot out comments on Sunday Night and especially X and the MGS Staff who have created a community here unrivaled anywhere. Ive learned more from you guys here than anywhere else. 

Thanks. 

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

Archived