Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Custom Putter Fitting - A SPY ZINGER type of question

SPY ZINGER

So I am in Minnesota in the middle of winter.  Despite the good advice of GolfspyX, I am probably going to have my tonsils out very soon.  To reward myself for being such a brave handsome boy, I am thinking about putters.

If I am honest with myself, I would tell myself that I am a poor putter.  I play once a week, and don't get the time I need to work on it either other than the time on the practice green before the peg goes in the ground.

Maybe this is the year something is different?  I mean, putting and putting drills are probably the easiest thing to work on from a practice and understanding standpoint.  Much of it can really be done at home too in the winter.

I figure the first step is to have a putter that I have been fit for.  I have not been through a putter fitting in 5-7 years, the last being at HotStix in PHX.

There is an Edel and Bettinardi studio here in Minnesota.  What is the best route to go in the custom department.  What have you had success with, and what have you been happy with subsequent to the fitting process, and playing the product for an entire season?  Is it really the putter or the guy and stroke?  Should I just forget the custom route and focus on improving the stroke with instruction?

What's your best advice for a guy my size?  Any idea on the cost of such a process from start to finish?

Posted Image

I went the Totally Driven route last winter.  Went in fully expecting to buy a new putter, but turned out one of the putter I already owned was a good fit with some tweaking.

Full write up here...  http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/12588-hckymeyer-gets-fitted-for-a-putter/

I would base it on what you are looking for.  Do you just want a putter that you can aim straight and it fits you?  Or are you looking to buy a new putter?  

Basically if you want a new Betti go to 2nd Swing.  Otherwise I'd go to Totally Driven.  It was a great experience and they won't push you in to one specific brand.  You can buy something from them (including Edel) and have them tweak it to your specs, or adjust your current putter if you already aim it straight, or even take your specs and go to somebody like Mannkrafted, Byron, Slighter etc and have a true custom built for you.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'd second hckymeyer's advice -- with this add-in: I learned more about putting, putting stroke, aim and how the brain perceives square during me Edel fitting than in 20 years of playing golf.  You gotta be able to square the putter to the line you want, so that's as good a place as any to start.  Andy at Totally Driven is a really good fitter, and if you're up for it, an excellent AimPoint teacher, as well....

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

"If I am honest with myself, I would tell myself that I am a poor putter." 

It would seem that this is a chicken or the egg thing. Are you a poor putter because, as you say, you don't have the time to commit to it? Is it form? Or do you you have a poorly fitted putter?

Putters are the hardest part of the bag to get fit. Unless you like 35" Odyssey putters, it's hard to go to Golfsmith, etc. and find a lot of sticks to work with. In my case, a few years ago, I found a fitter in L.A. who fit for putters. He put me in a 32" SeeMore because he thought my stroke was more SBST. I used that for a few years. Then, at my course, there was a pro whom I trusted who repped Titleist. He had a Titleist guy come to the course to demo all of the Scotty Camerons. The pro had me try a bunch of them. First thing he said was the SeeMore I was using was way too short. I thought you had to be a taller guy to use a 35" putter (I'm 5'10") but what it actually allowed me to do was stand up straighter (and my back is very appreciative of it). He fit me for the Select Newport. This is the blade that is a little more rounded in the back and has no sight line or aim line, as opposed to the Newport 2.0 which has more defined angles and has an aim line. The reason he liked the Newport better for me is, to his eye, I made a much more flowing stroke with it. When I had the aim line, my stroke was much more rigid and SBST. I feel like I mostly putt very well with the Cameron and I would have never known this was the one to get without an expert opinion.

To answer your question, I can't speak for Bettinardi or Edel. I've tested Edel wedges at my course but haven't gone through their putter process. (Anecdote - one guy in my men's club has. He said it took him about a year to get used to the putter. And he mentioned the eye perceptions and such. That didn't sound like a ringing endorsement. I started knocking putts right away with my Cameron.). I think the important thing is to go to a fitter or pro you trust. But if you feel you're not a good putter or that there's something not quite right with your stroke, a lesson or two wouldn't hurt.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid:
Callaway Apex 19 2H (KBS - 85)

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MC - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Odyssey Toulon - Atlanta (35")
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

I've been to both 2nd Swing (putter fitting) and Totally Driven (wedge fitting) and was very pleased with the results, at both locations.

I didn't feel like either of the fitters I saw tried to push me into a particular brand, and focused on what worked best for me.

Unless you prefer a particular brand of putter that only one of them can provide, I think you'd get great results at either one.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I'm going to think about this post over night and come back tomorrow. I just did an Edel fitting last week. I have a full review to post but the site is having issues so I can't post it just yet. We're working on it. In the mean time I'll comment with my 2-cents on putter fitting in the morning sometime.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Looking forward to it PJ. I had problems posting pics of my older equipment for you the other night but I will try again later

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've been thinking about my putter fitting and the review I've been wanting to submit. I actually wrote a long post here this morning and scrapped it.

Honestly, I may not even post my full Edel review. The more I write about it and edit it the more I think it sounds like sour grapes - so to speak. I don't want my review to convey that. I need to think about it more and come to a conclusion for my disappointment. I'll have the putter this next week so at least I can post some pictures if nothing else.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I've been thinking about my putter fitting and the review I've been wanting to submit. I actually wrote a long post here this morning and scrapped it.

Honestly, I may not even post my full Edel review. The more I write about it and edit it the more I think it sounds like sour grapes - so to speak. I don't want my review to convey that. I need to think about it more and come to a conclusion for my disappointment. I'll have the putter this next week so at least I can post some pictures if nothing else.

Are you not happy with the putter you ordered?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Theoo.... I don't have it yet. But, I think I will be happy with it once I've had time to use it a little. I'll post some pics next week after it's arrived.

I'm disappointed in the fitting and my decision to do it at the Edel headquarters. I thought that would be the best place on the planet for an Edel fitting. Let's just say at this time my expectations of Edel were not even close to reality. And... I wouldn't recommend anyone going there for a fitting for any of their irons, wedges, or putters.

(I can see where this is headed... keep asking.)

PJ I'm interested to hear more about it. I've been up in the air between an Edel putter fitting and a SAM lab putter fitting. Still haven't rescheduled mine at Club Champion yet. I know myself and others here would appreciate your thoughts on your experience.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Theoo.... I don't have it yet. But, I think I will be happy with it once I've had time to use it a little. I'll post some pics next week after it's arrived.

I'm disappointed in the fitting and my decision to do it at the Edel headquarters. I thought that would be the best place on the planet for an Edel fitting. Let's just say at this time my expectations of Edel were not even close to reality. And... I wouldn't recommend anyone going there for a fitting for any of their irons, wedges, or putters.

(I can see where this is headed... keep asking.)

id like to hear why your experience wasn't up to your standards

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I think as far as the fitting goes it isn't something Edel really does at the Headquarters. It's a machine shop really. It's where they make the putters and ship them out. I knew that going into it but....I also expected them to have a nice area for fitting. They didn't. It was pretty shabby to be honest. Even the office was a mess.

jbil.... since you're in PA you won't be coming to Edel in Texas. You'll go see a fitter that has been trained by them. I'd bet the fitter in your area has a putting studio type of space at their place of business. Keep in mind it doesn't take much to do a putter fitting either. I have no experience with a SAM lab but you may. I'd consider it. The Edel fitting consists of letting a laser beam pointer bounce off your putter face and putting to a string laid across the floor. That's really all we did. Of course we tried various heads and hosels. Some weights were added in the shaft too. My fitter didn't even bring up the subject of lie. And... I didn't think to either. So who knows what I get. Standard lie with 5* of loft I suppose.

I expected before I arrived a first class putter fitting experience. Not that I'd be treated like a king or anything.... but a nice clean place that looks like a professional studio should look. Paint your own picture. Or better yet... go by a few places and look them over. Talk to them first.

I'd be glad to try and answer any other question you have.

I'm mainly just concerned with length, loft, and lie. I don't know much about putter fitting. I know there are other factors like heel shafted vs. center shafted and offset and toe hang and whatnot. Those are things I'd inquire about at the fitting.

A friend of mine from my club that plays with our group competes in professional mini-putting and has won over 90 tournaments including some national championships. It's pretty neat. He went through some type of in depth putter fitting in Arizona and recommends it. Not sure if it was a SAM lab or not. He described it as hitting about 100 putts on a flat surface with a ton of lasers measuring everything.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Today I received my new Edel Willamette design putter. This model is a standard design per Edel. As expected it's nice. I carefully inspected it and to me it appears flawless. Starting as we do here with the un-boxing the putter was well packaged and protected. Not much more to say. It came in an Edel logo'd box that was attractive. I only went with a couple of extras. The SuperStroke grip which I currently use and the Pixel insert face. The paint fill colors I chose and a couple of stampings were included. My regret, I think; is that I didn't get the newer Torque-Balanced design. They're pretty cool looking. Oh well. If I continue making lots of putts with this one I'll be happy. And, I'm sure I will. Now on to the photos.

Box.jpg

Cover.jpg

Top.jpg

Face.jpg

Back.jpg

Nice...that's the model they fit me for as well.  I absolutely LOVE that putter!!  Also have a Tourque Balance model, which I run hot and cold with.  

Eden's attention to detail is something to see, that's for sure!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Nice PJ!  Looks great but unless they can add 50 grams to the head with a counterbalance, I would be surprised if they could fit one for me.  However, I am willing to give it shot.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nice PJ!  Looks great but unless they can add 50 grams to the head with a counterbalance, I would be surprised if they could fit one for me.  However, I am willing to give it shot.  

Im pretty sure they can

They can Kenny. Mine is counter-balanced up in the shaft. I remember saying to my fitter after he added some weight in the shaft how noticeable it was compared to no weight/counter-balance. I have no extra weighting in the head. On my spec sheet it says the head weight is 325 grams, Lie 68*, Loft 5*, Counterweight 110 grams, and Opti-vibe of 50 grams - placement 5".

nice flatstick! I really like their designs and logo. May you sink many a putt

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

They can Kenny. Mine is counter-balanced up in the shaft. I remember saying to my fitter after he added some weight in the shaft how noticeable it was compared to no weight/counter-balance. I have no extra weighting in the head. On my spec sheet it says the head weight is 325 grams, Lie 68*, Loft 5*, Counterweight 110 grams, and Opti-vibe of 50 grams - placement 5".

About a year ago, the Gentleman Mongoose from Holland was doing weighting research on putters and after a long discussion, he recommended that I get a putter that was over 400 grams head weight with a 100 gram counterbalance.  I agree with him because I have tried just about every putter there is and heavier putters work better for me.  I have always assumed that face-balanced putters were also better for my stroke, but that is something I would really like to test, but it's hard to find heavy headed putters in different configurations to try out.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

About a year ago, the Gentleman Mongoose from Holland was doing weighting research on putters and after a long discussion, he recommended that I get a putter that was over 400 grams head weight with a 100 gram counterbalance.  I agree with him because I have tried just about every putter there is and heavier putters work better for me.  I have always assumed that face-balanced putters were also better for my stroke, but that is something I would really like to test, but it's hard to find heavy headed putters in different configurations to try out.

I've got something you should try then...

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/10938-my-custom-odyssey-is-here/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

That is sweeeet!  I've never liked Odyssey putters because they were too light and I don't care for inserts.  Looking at the two balls was a turn off too.  This is nice but I would have to maintain the face balance.

This winter I have two putter projects that I will be posting when I get them done and the weather is nice for outside putting.  One is the Nike Converge putter that I tested for MGS last September.  There are cavities on the heel/toe ends where tungsten powder can be added.  If you remember, the converge was listed as face balanced but it had a very slight toe droop; about 3:30.  I think I can add the tungsten in a way to take a little of the droop out.  We'll see.  I also figured out a way to add variable weight to the butt, so I will be playing with different weights to see what feels best.

The other project is a 41" Cleveland Classic 6 belly putter that I got brand new for $42.  That came the same week that I found out I was chosen to test the Nike Converge.  It has a 400g head that I am going to cut down to 32".  I will use the same counter weight system that I am using for the Nike if it works.  I haven't started that project yet.

That 2-ball is bad ass. 490 grams with a 135 counter balance? Hmmmmmm, Iivecwanted to try a super heavy head on my putter and 've never played with counterbalancing, but might need to read up on it a little ( I know MGS did an article not too long ago, so I'll have to read it).

I've seen Spry Evo's carbon fiber and copper odyssey inserts on eBay, but had no idea about this stuff.

Today I got to play and use my new Edel Willamette putter. As I expected, it's a winner. The greens today were very firm and fast. I had 29 putts on the day. Sadly, I didn't strike the ball all that well with my irons... shooting an 84. The putter feels very solid. Two points that I thought about during my round: The putter has 5* of loft and it was noticeable to me looking down at it. Secondly, the putter makes a slightly different sound than I'm used to. I describe it as somewhat hollow sound. Not even sure if that's accurate but that's how I describe it today. Perhaps it's the pixel insert face? It's not annoying or weird... just different. I never missed a short put of 5' or less. My longer missed putts were all right around the hole. I think I'm going to really enjoy the counter balance effect and feel. I also think before long I might even get deadly with this thing. Wouldn't that be nice.

Plaid- good the hear, especially after your underwhelming fitting experience.

May your Balls continue to drop where you want them

Guys!  Thanks for the feedback and photos, I really appreciate thoughts as I progress through the winter.  And to answer the question, I probably do need to work not only on the fitting but also refining the stroke as well.  I'll keep you posted as I progress.

I am day 8 into the Tonsil removal, and it's a mental test of stamina for sure!  Like my putting, a constant pain.

Posted Image

Guys!  Thanks for the feedback and photos, I really appreciate thoughts as I progress through the winter.  And to answer the question, I probably do need to work not only on the fitting but also refining the stroke as well.  I'll keep you posted as I progress.

I am day 8 into the Tonsil removal, and it's a mental test of stamina for sure!  Like my putting, a constant pain.

Sorry about the tonsil removal.  Heal quickly.   I remember when I had mine out; I was 5.  I remember lots of ice cream and no school!!

Archived