GolfSpy_X

Is the USGA Runing the game?

Our Sponsors

I think the changes in grooves is going to be a big fault of theirs. Obviously, amateurs still have time before the rule affects them, but when it does come into effect for amateurs it will be interesting to see how it affects the game.

Think of it this way...how many people do you know that can get the ball to stick on the green or get the ball to spin back. I only know of a few people I play that can and they don't do it every time. When amateurs are affected by this change we will see some interesting shots. I also think it will increase the time it takes to play a round of golf.

I don't think they are ruining the game, but they do need to accept the fact that technology is going to move forward (and thats not always a bad thing) and they need to not jump to rulings without proper research.

I think the changes in grooves is going to be a big fault of theirs. Obviously, amateurs still have time before the rule affects them, but when it does come into effect for amateurs it will be interesting to see how it affects the game.

Think of it this way...how many people do you know that can get the ball to stick on the green or get the ball to spin back. I only know of a few people I play that can and they don't do it every time. When amateurs are affected by this change we will see some interesting shots. I also think it will increase the time it takes to play a round of golf.

If the shot is not hit thin, or more appropriately, *bladed*, everyone who hits the ballon the face creates spin. How well someone does it obvioulsy has certain factors and variables attached, but with a sand wedge hit high from the fairway, the ball will spin back on the green with a softer ball made to spin. It's a harder ball that most high hadicappers use for durability and distance that does not allow the player to spin the ball.

This is all said with the premise any golfer actually practices to try and spin the ball with a learned technique.

Playing devils advocate here....if you were the head of the USGA how would you govern it when it came to new technoligies?

Where do you draw the line?

I don't think they are ruining the game, but they do need to accept the fact that technology is going to move forward (and thats not always a bad thing) and they need to not jump to rulings without proper research.

#TruthDigest

Follow @MyGolfSpy

The USGA rules majorly impact many parts of the game. Do you think they are starting to ruin the game?

That depends on your definition of ruining the game. If you mean making the game less fun and creating rules that inhibit the growth of the game than yes I think the USGA is ruining the game they swear to protect. Im sure they have their reasons but in my opinion they are stuck in the past and unwilling to move forward as the game evolves. The time has come for 2 sets of rules, one for professionals and elite amateurs and another for weekend recreational players.

I am one that agrees with you on this.

That depends on your definition of ruining the game. If you mean making the game less fun and creating rules that inhibit the growth of the game than yes I think the USGA is ruining the game they swear to protect. Im sure they have their reasons but in my opinion they are stuck in the past and unwilling to move forward as the game evolves. The time has come for 2 sets of rules, one for professionals and elite amateurs and another for weekend recreational players.

#TruthDigest

Follow @MyGolfSpy

The USGA rules majorly impact many parts of the game. Do you think they are starting to ruin the game?

Here is an example of one rule, in amatuer play, that I would say is broken about 99.9% of the time by every golfer -

27-1. Stroke and Distance; Ball Out of Bounds; Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes

Who in their right mind is going to walk/drive back up to the tee box and re-load.

Now I can hear it - should have hit a provisional. Well they didn't - now what ?

Take two club lengths from where you and group thought it went out, take your penalty and move on. Thats what the majority of us do, yeah I know we have some purists but...

Thats really a rule that should be re-thought but it opens the door to that dreaded "B" word...bifuraction. :o

rob

I Can't Help It If I'm Lucky...

I'm also a big fan of the idea of having 2 sets of rules. The game the pros play has little relation to the game that recreational players play, in terms of skill & talent, so rules intended to reign them in should not be applied to people who are just out having a good time with friends.

That said, I will add another question/thought: my dad maintains that if they had two sets of rules, and all the ball manufacturers (just as an example) made 2 balls, "Tour Ball" and "Weekend Ball," "Tour Ball" would outsell "Weekend Ball" by a vast margin. What say you, MGS nation? Would you play by the weekend rules or would you want to play with the same equipment the tour players use?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I'm also a big fan of the idea of having 2 sets of rules. The game the pros play has little relation to the game that recreational players play, in terms of skill & talent, so rules intended to reign them in should not be applied to people who are just out having a good time with friends.

That said, I will add another question/thought: my dad maintains that if they had two sets of rules, and all the ball manufacturers (just as an example) made 2 balls, "Tour Ball" and "Weekend Ball," "Tour Ball" would outsell "Weekend Ball" by a vast margin. What say you, MGS nation? Would you play by the weekend rules or would you want to play with the same equipment the tour players use?

to the detriment of most players the tour ball would outsell the weekend ball, unless the weekend ball was advertised to be longer than the tour ball, distance outsells everything

Yes because they have failed to attack what is hurting the game and then going after things that have a smaller impact on the game, but will cost the average golfer more money to fix.

Grooves are not an issue. The PGA Tour is not having an issue with these new grooves. But if you're an amateur you may have to possibly get new irons to abide by the rules if you are playing certain tournaments.

The ball and the drivers have greatly impacted the game. It's made good courses obsolete and has given the long ball hitter who is wild off the tee a bigger advantage over the short, but straight hitter. Yet, they ignore it and continue to do so. They need to say 'you can't go any further than you are going now' and stick with it and not be afraid to make the newest ball or driver non-conforming.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

Yes because they have failed to attack what is hurting the game and then going after things that have a smaller impact on the game, but will cost the average golfer more money to fix.

Grooves are not an issue. The PGA Tour is not having an issue with these new grooves. But if you're an amateur you may have to possibly get new irons to abide by the rules if you are playing certain tournaments.

The ball and the drivers have greatly impacted the game. It's made good courses obsolete and has given the long ball hitter who is wild off the tee a bigger advantage over the short, but straight hitter. Yet, they ignore it and continue to do so. They need to say 'you can't go any further than you are going now' and stick with it and not be afraid to make the newest ball or driver non-conforming.

3JACK

Is there someone who needs a certain number that the winner posts for a round to be successful? Would the game stop if someone was -40 for the weekend? It seems like the rules come down to scoring. In addition to equipment, there must be course design rules. How can the courses be adapted to the game? Lower par for a hole? 500 yard par 4. 280 par 3 (Par threes over 200 can kiss my butt, btw).

If USGA and the owners of the venues want the numbers down, increase the difficulty of the course. Look at Augusta Nat. New tee boxes, new trees, putting surface that is like green glass. Reminds me of Phil at Torrey when he spun like 17 wedge shots off the front of the green on one hole. Casual golfers and good amateur players would not complain a bit. If I played Bethpage Black at carded a 140 I would feel totally satisfied. Hard course is hard. Install new fairway bunkers, Scotland style, at 315 from the tee.

As a biology professor, this reminds me of natural selection. The predator has adapted to be a more effective predator, causing a severe selective pressure on the prey. Either the prey species adapts, or goes extinct. Status quo is not an option in nature. If the classic courses can't adapt to the pro golfer predator, they go extinct from tour. groove smoove.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Is there someone who needs a certain number that the winner posts for a round to be successful? Would the game stop if someone was -40 for the weekend? It seems like the rules come down to scoring. In addition to equipment, there must be course design rules. How can the courses be adapted to the game? Lower par for a hole? 500 yard par 4. 280 par 3 (Par threes over 200 can kiss my butt, btw).

If USGA and the owners of the venues want the numbers down, increase the difficulty of the course. Look at Augusta Nat. New tee boxes, new trees, putting surface that is like green glass. Reminds me of Phil at Torrey when he spun like 17 wedge shots off the front of the green on one hole. Casual golfers and good amateur players would not complain a bit. If I played Bethpage Black at carded a 140 I would feel totally satisfied. Hard course is hard. Install new fairway bunkers, Scotland style, at 315 from the tee.

As a biology professor, this reminds me of natural selection. The predator has adapted to be a more effective predator, causing a severe selective pressure on the prey. Either the prey species adapts, or goes extinct. Status quo is not an option in nature. If the classic courses can't adapt to the pro golfer predator, they go extinct from tour. groove smoove.

Adaptively, there is another option... the species that fails to adapt can relocate, or in the case of golf, the private courses can be forced to become public, and new predators are introduced...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Adaptively, there is another option... the species that fails to adapt can relocate, or in the case of golf, the private courses can be forced to become public, and new predators are introduced...

I think that 51 weekends a year they are there. It is likely strong marketing mojo though if a course can say that Phil won there at -3 for the weekend. Extra $5K for the reputation.

Volvo Intorqueo

I don't mind the new rules. It's just another challenge. I'm just sort of apathetic on the whole subject, I really wouldn't care either way.

Someone feels very passionate about it though. That is the person that I want to identify. Course owners? USGA? Manufactures? Who has decided that the style of play is wrong and why is it wrong?

Volvo Intorqueo

Someone feels very passionate about it though. That is the person that I want to identify. Course owners? USGA? Manufactures? Who has decided that the style of play is wrong and why is it wrong?

EXACTLY, what was wrong with the game the way it was? The USGA might say that they wanted to put an emphasis back on driving accuracy, guys are bombing it 320 and hitting wedges out of the rough effectively not caring that much about driving accuracy. I dont really support this argument, but its the one they make. It's my opinion that the USGA isnt evolving with the game, they continue to want to hold the game to the standards of an outdated era, and whats worse to me is that they are proud of it, if they are the last guys standing on the hill at the end of it all they will be happy that they held up their rules, the game will be dead, but they would be happy.

The USGA decided that the current style of play is wrong, but rather than really address the problem, and there are some very simple ways to do it, they have decided on the course of confusing the average player and not really addressing the problem.

• Like 1

EXACTLY, what was wrong with the game the way it was? The USGA might say that they wanted to put an emphasis back on driving accuracy, guys are bombing it 320 and hitting wedges out of the rough effectively not caring that much about driving accuracy. I dont really support this argument, but its the one they make. It's my opinion that the USGA isnt evolving with the game, they continue to want to hold the game to the standards of an outdated era, and whats worse to me is that they are proud of it, if they are the last guys standing on the hill at the end of it all they will be happy that they held up their rules, the game will be dead, but they would be happy.

The USGA decided that the current style of play is wrong, but rather than really address the problem, and there are some very simple ways to do it, they have decided on the course of confusing the average player and not really addressing the problem.

Well stated. What would you do to fix it? I am reading do nothing and let them play from your posting.

Volvo Intorqueo

Well stated. What would you do to fix it? I am reading do nothing and let them play from your posting.

Option 1

2 sets of rules, 1 for professionals and elite amateur tournaments. 1 for everyone else.

Option 2

2 types of golf balls, 1 for professionals and elite amateur tournaments, 1 for everyone else.

Option 3

scale back the golf ball and scale back the driver head to levels of 1998-2000 performance, pre 460cc drivers and Pro V1 golf balls.

Now I agree that in either case, the average player will choose the professional equipment to his detriment, but at least he will have had a choice of one or the other without being told he was breaking the rules.

In the end none of these will happen, the USGA way is one size has to fit all, I guess my biggest axe to grind is that they are saying they have a problem, and then completely failing to address it when they have some very simple solutions.

Scale back the golf ball, scale back the driver, thats it, problem solved, can they do it, sure, will they, nope.