Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Rules Question

3puttpaul

I'm a new member to this site sorry if this isn't the place to ask these type questions.  I was playing this past week and we had a ton of rain. I hit my ball into a sand trap that was flooded with water. There was no place to drop inside the trap without the ball being in water or closer to the hole......What should I have done....the guy I was playing said I couldn't drop outside the trap so I ended up hitting it out of the water......not only did I mess up the shot, I got muddy in the process..... 

You could always drop outside the bunker under penalty of one stroke, not nearer the hole - Rule 25-1b (ii)(B).

or

Declare the ball unplayable and play from the original position from where your last shot was played - Rule 28a, again under penalty of one stroke.

There no penalty for taking relief from the water in the bunker and dropping inside the bunker where the water is the least depth, provided it is not nearer the hole. 

Or of course you can just play it as it lies.

In such circumstances, it always best to weigh up the situation and give yourself the best chance of scoring with the least possible strokes - sometimes that means taking a penalty, especially when attempting a shot out of water. And it's always best to know the rules better than your playing partner.

Go to barryrhodes.com and do a search.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The USGA has very searchable website. jaskanski has already provided you the details but here's the rule on their website if you want to read it yourself: http://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=102&Rule=25

Unfortunately it looks like you going to have to either get a little wet or take your penalty. Probably not a shot your practice a lot, right? :) I would probably just take the penalty myself unless the water was really shallow.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

At my old course in addition to Ground Under Repair, the guys would play a local rule... Ground NEEDING Repair.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My club has a local rule for just that reason.  Our bunkers drain fairly well but early in the year when you are getting inches of rain a day the Super can only do so much.  

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

There are only 4 options;

1. Play it as it lies.

2. If you take relief;

a. drop within 1 club length from nearest point of relief in bunker, even if this means the water is not as deep etc. no penalty.

b. take an unplayable 1 stroke penalty, rule 28

c. drop behind bunker keeping the bunker inline with pin, take a 1 stroke penalty. rule 25-1b.

FOUR! (tr99)

Yep, in this instance you can take the maximum available relief within the bunker and incur no penalty (1 inch of water vs 5 inches of water).  Or under penalty of 1 stroke, drop outside the bunker.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

We had a guy in the course tournament lose a ball in the water in a bunker. I swear. Standing water in a bunker and lost the ball. We all were visually certain it was there. USGA rule app on my phone, plus knowing the guys at the course had our group with a 3 minute conversation with the rules official. Ended up being a "Yeah let me look that up just to make sure, yup played it right" conversation.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Thanks for this, I thought with the casual water it was a free drop within bunker. We're starting to play exactly like the rules state. Frustrating and great at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Archived