Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

More rain through the night in NE. Worked on my putting setup indoors using a mirror and gates. Went through my setup procedure then stroked short putts. In order to really ingrain the setup so that I can repeat it every time, I'm going to have to do this a lot this winter, LOL. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

27 minutes ago, BobBC78 said:

M Worked on my putting setup indoors using a mirror and gates. Went through my setup procedure then stroked short putts. In order to really ingrain the setup so that I can repeat it every time, I'm going to have to do this a lot this winter, LOL. 

You also need to make strokes for long putts.  I know your response is that you don't have that much space.  You only need a couple of feet to ensure your ball is going through gates; put a pillow or something in front to stop the ball. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

49 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You also need to make strokes for long putts.  I know your response is that you don't have that much space.  You only need a couple of feet to ensure your ball is going through gates; put a pillow or something in front to stop the ball. 

Yup, thanks for the reminder. I focused on 3-5 foot putts today; next time will do the longer stroke which, as you note, is important for lag putts. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

Woke up early this morning and it was 55 so wow I thought I might be able to go out when the range opened at 9 to get some swings in. Wrong as daylight broke noticed the trees bending in the wind and spitting rain. Nicer weather can't come soon enough.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

I have to remember to post here as regularly as I do over at the TST page.  Worked on solo trail arm work - focusing on face angle position at P2 and P6, keeping it a slow rehearsed swing through.   

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Went to the range yesterday on an almost Spring-like here; hit balls .. mostly wedges, as usual .. for an hour. Been swinging the orange whips in the garage somewhat regularly but last time at the range was about a month ago.

.. Driver - decent; better than last year and looking forward to continuing to improve this year.
.. 7i - this was the most problematic for me...
.. .. Been working on a fuller turn back (drills from Monte) and I felt a little awkward getting back to the ball.
.. .. Tagline = Work In Progress!
.. Wedges - ok and def showing improvement here in contact, flight and distance control.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Went to the range yesterday on an almost Spring-like here; hit balls .. mostly wedges, as usual .. for an hour. Been swinging the orange whips in the garage somewhat regularly but last time at the range was about a month ago.

.. Driver - decent; better than last year and looking forward to continuing to improve this year.
.. 7i - this was the most problematic for me...
.. .. Been working on a fuller turn back (drills from Monte) and I felt a little awkward getting back to the ball.
.. .. Tagline = Work In Progress!
.. Wedges - ok and def showing improvement here in contact, flight and distance control.

The bigger the turn, the more important it is to feel like you start the downswing with arms instead of body.  The feeling is like trying to keep your back to the target longer.  See Monte's post of Justin Rose drill.

I wish I could swing a club!!  Maybe after my next procedure on Wednesday.  Went out to my hitting bay this morning; no heat on since I'm not out there, and it was 41º.  The garage is colder because it's not insulated above.  Outside it never made it above 10º with wind 10-20mph.  🥶

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Too much snow shoveling to find time. That and I'm just too worn out and sore. The snow covered an inch and a half of slush and ice which the snow blower does not handle. Had to grab a shovel. 

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

The bigger the turn, the more important it is to feel like you start the downswing with arms instead of body.

Thx - that's definitely a big part of the problem.. and a part that I'm trying to work on..!

When I'm in the garage swinging an orange whip I feel like I'm starting to get the new movement a little .. then get me out on the range and put a ball in front of me, and ... POOF! .. it all magically disappears 😆

Work In Progress!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Who let the AI in? Mods?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Just now, Rob Person said:

Who let the AI in? Mods?

Got ya

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BNG said:

Got ya

I had to read it twice...lol 

Some members actually do post in a very analytical manner.   

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Going to the range around 10am here in California. While I was in San Diego, I bought a set of Ram 4-PW, GW (very much GI irons) for $50 flat and they were barely touched. There is obviously a sizeable difference between them and my Daiwas blade irons so I am taking them out today just to knock around and compare (bringing the Daiwas too of course). This all to test where my game is now, and what's next.  Excited to see!

Edit: a look at the bag this morning. Let's go!

IMG20240114092402.jpg

Edited by Michael.Sandoval33

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I had to read it twice...lol 

Some members actually do post in a very analytical manner.   

Just look for embedded links (within the context and not clearly separated out as links; on a PC give the mouse over the link or on a phone press and hold to see the underlying URL) .. that take you to either a total spam site or are just clickbait to someone trying to generate more views/more ad revenue.

Ok.. back to golf practice! Gonna roll a few on the basement putting mat.

Edited by cksurfdude

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

4 hours ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Going to the range around 10am here in California. While I was in San Diego, I bought a set of Ram 4-PW, GW (very much GI irons) for $50 flat and they were barely touched. There is obviously a sizeable difference between them and my Daiwas blade irons so I am taking them out today just to knock around and compare (bringing the Daiwas too of course). This all to test where my game is now, and what's next.  Excited to see!

Edit: a look at the bag this morning. Let's go!

IMG20240114092402.jpg

At the range, I am noticing a tremendous difference on my missed shots, which is probably 99% of my shots. The forgiveness is making a huge difference in still carrying my shot equal to the distance of the ones that feel like strikes. Same goes for improvement on hooking/slicing, which I think is consistent with what I am feeling when striking the ball. My main issues immediately come from adjusting to the set. Heavier, wider top line, length is actually my correct length, the issues I expected to have. 

As I mentioned this is a test between the irons and whether I have improved. I am able to strike the Daiwas better than before, but noticably better with the Rams. In that sense, I think my swing is improving some but I am still going to seek help with it. Neither set was able to help me with loft height and that I believe is a user error. I cannot blame the tools for this. Any tips on it would be great.

All in all however, I am having fun, noticing slight improvements, and trying to process all of the information.

Final word: I think blade irons are out of my skill range but not impossible to use one day. For now, I need help with my swing before anything and will continue to use both in the [insert time until I cannot wait anymore].

Thanks if you stuck around!I am going to get another bucket now lol. 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

19 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

When I'm in the garage swinging an orange whip I feel like I'm starting to get the new movement a little .. then get me out on the range and put a ball in front of me, and ... POOF! .. it all magically disappears 😆

Get a Lag Shot. Exact same concept as the whip only you get to actually hit golf balls with it! Made a huge difference in my game in just a week or so of hitting balls on the range with it. I am straighter and more consistent with all of my clubs now and I attribute the improvement to swinging the lag shot

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

My drives on the par 4s at Coyote normally leave me between 80 and 105 yards from the pin. So today I put out some traffic cones out in the practice area measured at 80 and 90 yards. My goal was to land the ball between the cones from a high draw 3/4 swing pitch with my 58 degree.  I spent an hour working on this and feel tomorrow it will be a shot I can use. 

You can see the Bermuda grass has gone completely dormant 

20240114_111330.jpg

20240114_111110.jpg

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

Played 9 holes today;  it was bad so I stopped keeping score and just considered it a practice round.    Was snap hooking tee shots and couldn't hit my irons (been a struggle for a few weeks).  Short game and putting wasn't too bad.   I've been working on implementing the short game shots as taught by Dan Grieve.  Doing pretty well with the release 1 shot (bump and run) but hit and miss with release 2.  

Could probably only play a couple more times so I am thinking about just shutting it down until I am cleared to swing a club again.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Driving range today, D, 7i, pw. Put up some consistent distances among them all. Had a few personal bests too. Also spent an hour at the practice green working on some new to me techniques. 

I’m on a streak - two days in a row:

Continued sold trail arm work using the 50*.  Again focused on  club face position at P2 and P6.  Wrapped up with easy pitches varied distances from 10 to 40yds. 

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Went to do a basic Driver fitting over at  my local golf shop DallasGolf.  Just to look at my numbers on both of my shaft that am using with my TM Stealth2 because I felt over the past 2 months I was loosing distance and it felt like I was putting good swings and the ball was going no where..

So, we took base numbers using both my Fujikura Speeder NX Red 60 Stiff and my HDZR Smoke 6.0 Stiff shaft.
Both it appear i was spinning the ball more than I should.
Tried a few other shaft to see if any newer shaft would improve the numbers.

One thing we established was that i was maximizing the Driver head, my smash factor was at a steady 1.50, no matter what shaft.
What we did work on was trying to get the spin rate down since it was between 3100-3300 and improve the launch angle.

The final setting, keeping the Fujikura Speeder NX Red, as i was getting better spin, carry/total distance numbers.
The other shafts had better balls speed, (like 1-2mph difference)

Turn down the loft from 9.0 to 8.5 and this drop the spin rate to 2900-3000.

And here is a comparison before the fitting and after. just after 3 rounds. (shame, won't be able to play until maybe March with this weather, snow everywhere)
image.png.3269c8961f70f7409af9b05ba4e72373.png

image.png.6b6086f1228d673938fe586382a52acd.png

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing 2024)
3 -Wood Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag
TESTING: Terra Forza Shaft  - 

Got out to the schoolyard this afternoon and hit about 40 balls, all pitching wedges. I also took my two-level mat, one at "fairway" height, and one with one-inch "rough". I hit 20 balls on each level. Distance was pretty similar on the good hits, with the center of my dispersion paced off at ~95 yards. But the shots off the "rough" were more likely to fade to the right and the contact was less consistent. Just a little extra information to consider for shot selection.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

2 hours ago, MrBandit said:

Went to do a basic Driver fitting over at  my local golf shop DallasGolf.  Just to look at my numbers on both of my shaft that am using with my TM Stealth2 because I felt over the past 2 months I was loosing distance and it felt like I was putting good swings and the ball was going no where..

So, we took base numbers using both my Fujikura Speeder NX Red 60 Stiff and my HDZR Smoke 6.0 Stiff shaft.
Both it appear i was spinning the ball more than I should.
Tried a few other shaft to see if any newer shaft would improve the numbers.

One thing we established was that i was maximizing the Driver head, my smash factor was at a steady 1.50, no matter what shaft.
What we did work on was trying to get the spin rate down since it was between 3100-3300 and improve the launch angle.

The final setting, keeping the Fujikura Speeder NX Red, as i was getting better spin, carry/total distance numbers.
The other shafts had better balls speed, (like 1-2mph difference)

Turn down the loft from 9.0 to 8.5 and this drop the spin rate to 2900-3000.

And here is a comparison before the fitting and after. just after 3 rounds. (shame, won't be able to play until maybe March with this weather, snow everywhere)
image.png.3269c8961f70f7409af9b05ba4e72373.png

image.png.6b6086f1228d673938fe586382a52acd.png

That's a pretty good sized gap in distance 

Well, with around 20” of snow and temps around -30°F with the wind, I stuck with indoor putting after work. Ladder drills with my PuttOut to keep the tempo in check. Things are feeling consistent considering that everything is on an indoor mat nowadays. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

Got a lesson and tried the Pro Snder hand setting trainer this weekend.  It was fun doing these drills. 

The drill clearly showed that my hand and wrist position at the top of the swing and at impact was not ideal.  

It’s a great way to feel the correct hand position. Will see if these drills will help me on the course this year. 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

Day 3 (15 Jan 24) - Same drills as past few days - solo work with trail arm focused on club face at P2 and P6 using the PW, followed by full swings, today included Birdie Balls at saucer (on swing set).   Grandson (his pic at 4yrs old is my avatar) impressed when he lined up on his own without input from me 3 Birdie Balls in a line about two yards apart and then proceeded to make easy pitches to the saucer.  Watching him think outside the box really did my heart good.  

Edited by Willie T

2 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

But the shots off the "rough" were more likely to fade to the right and the contact was less consistent. Just a little extra information to consider for shot selection.

In my completely unscientific opinion - I'd suggest being careful with that conclusion...

Again in my opinion and what I've observed in my ball striking the opposite occurred - while hitting off fake rough in practice tended to open the face as you saw .. hitting out of real rough tends to grab the hosel and close the face and send shots more left (RHed player).

Could be different for different golfers .. anyone else have anything more definitive..?

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg