DIRECTV NOW or Not

Shankster

How much do you pay per month to get the package with Golf Channel? Ever since I got rid of DTV, I've been searching for a replacement. Considering DTV Now, Hulu Live, and SlingTV

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

It's $60 for it now. But if you have ATT for cell service you get 25% off and a bunch of other s deals.

I got a free Apple TV when I signed up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I do in fact have AT&T. I will have to look into this for sure!

Try PlayStation Vue instead. They have a lot of compatible devices. For the $35 a month package you get Golf Channel! Did I mention no contracts?

I have it and love it. Tried SlingTv before, but PlayStation Vue is so much better.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :cobra-small: F9, Project X Evenflow White T1100, 6.0 

3 wood:  :cobra-small:  F9, Fujikura Atmos blue,

3 hybrid:   :cobra-small:   F7 19.5 degree stiff flex

Irons: 4-pw   :mizuno-small:  JPX 919 KBS C-Taper  Lite shafts

Wedges:   :cobra-small:   King Black 50, 54, 60 degree KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putters:  Odyssey O-Works  1w 34" w/ Superstroke counterbalanced Pistol GT 2.0 grip

Try PlayStation Vue instead. They have a lot of compatible devices. For the $35 a month package you get Golf Channel! Did I mention no contracts?

I have it and love it. Tried SlingTv before, but PlayStation Vue is so much better.

I forgot about PSVue. Why do you prefer that to Sling?

I forgot about PSVue. Why do you prefer that to Sling?

PSVue has a better interface I feel, and I have had far less issue with signal/service. With Sling I had trouble with it cutting out and "buffering". I rarely, rarely have those problems with PSVue.

Putters:  Odyssey O-Works  1w 34" w/ Superstroke counterbalanced Pistol GT 2.0 grip

PSVue also has a 28 day dvr, which is nice. I haven't used or even looked at DTNow, so I can't speak to that.

I was so excited about Hulu Live. Live network channels they claim. Well in my area it's live CBS while ABC, Fox, and NBC are all on demand. When will they get this right so live sports can be watched on these services?

Unfortunately we live in a valley where there is no OTA signal for local channels, so it's either cable or a dish or do without. I'm actually just doing without right now. My kids watch Netflix and I watch the Roku PBS App.

I did watch the Masters online streamed to my TV which worked out great. It's still a lot of work to watch sports as a cord-cutter.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

It's been about 16 months since we cut Comcast and went PSVue with 4 FireTV sticks. I'll tell ya, there is no looking back. Comcast Triple Play "discount" with 4 TVs and whole home DVR was over $250/mo for us. Told them to hit the road, invested in my own modem and 4 FireTV sticks and we are saving about $100/mo. Right now we have the $45 PS Vue package with Showtime and we subscribe to HBO Now separately and we are basically at $60/mo for television. Unfortunately we still have to pay Comcast for 75Mbps internet at $80/mo but we are still saving tons. I bought a $50 antenna on Amazon and ran it into our old Comcast powered splitter and all of our TV's have another 15-20 OTA channels but we really just watch the main networks. Flipping between sources is no longer an inconvenience. PSVue is also recognized as a service provider on all the mobile apps so I can watch everything mobile as well.

Few negatives to consider tho:

- PSVue guide loads slow at times on the FireTV stick. (should not be an issue if you used a wired device).

- The 4 main networks have onDemand but there is no fast forward and shows are not available to watch until sometimes 48 hours after they air.

- Our main TV has a pretty weak built in tuner. CBS is often unwatchable in the living room but works fine in our newer tv's. However our local CBS affiliate just signed onto PSVue so I can stream it now.

- Speaking of streaming, 75Mbps is plenty to power all this but any live sports (not OTA) are delayed up to 2 minutes. Really just have to stay off social media to avoid spoilers.

- Nature of the beast with this is that channels can be removed at anytime. They recently lost MTV, CMT, Comedy Central and all the channels affiliated with that company. They also moved Esquire from my package to the next higher up package. Just know that since you are not in contract they are really not obligated to keep your channels the same from month to month (day to day really). So far no loses have affected our family enough to matter.

In the end it hasnt been perfect but the month over month savings from being on Comcast has made it more than worth it.

With 4 televisions going at once most nights PSVue has been our best option. If you don't need 4 simultaneous streams then some of the other options may work better for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

PSVue also has a 28 day dvr, which is nice. I haven't used or even looked at DTNow, so I can't speak to that.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know they had one- always wondered how streaming would handle this.

I've looked in to sling and they had the most attractive packages, less Fox channels,

more ESPN and other sports channels including fox sports 1. I watch a lot of Soccer and log on on other devices but they don't have a sign on credential for NBC sports live.

Looked into PSvue since but like Direct tv Now the channels I want are only available in the higher priced packages, and I don't want 70% of the channels. Some day true a la carte will come!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I'll second this. They have a lot of sports channels and are reasonably priced and work with Amazon sticks which are also reasonably priced.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I don't have any gaming consoles. But DTnow let's you stream on multiple devices, and a single sign on for most of the network apps. Anything is better than paying $160 a month for 3 channels that you actually watch.

I don't have any gaming consoles. But DTnow let's you stream on multiple devices, and a single sign on for most of the network apps. Anything is better than paying $160 a month for 3 channels that you actually watch.

PSVue is a very deceptive title, and I think I saw that Sony was working on a possible name change. But you don't have to have a PlayStation gaming console to use PSVue. I works on Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, Appletv, Androidtv, Google Chromecast, and on web browsers (pc). Oh and it also works through most Android and iOS devices for mobile viewing.

Never mind. It is the best thing since cable.

Storm must have passed ya lol

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

What gives? I thought this was the best thing since cable. But now I can't watch my Golf Channel app with my DTV Sign in! What the heck! Time to cancel!

- Alan

We have PlayStation Vue and SlingTV - daughters wanted MTV and PlayStation Vue does not currently offer this with their channel line up. We also have both Roku and Amazon Fire TV (not the Fire tv stick,multiple TV's). We prefer PlayStation Vue, for the dvr feature and you get more channels for the $. The fire tv is our preferred streaming media player, the menu look and function for PSVue are a lot better than on the Roku. We won't go back to cable or direct tv. Hope this helps!

I had Directv for 10 years but dropped them 2 years ago because they did not support Mac OS.  It was 2015 and the latest OS that they supported was 2012.  I spent 6 months trying to get them to figure out why I couldn't view channels on my laptop; I finally read the fine print.  I was an ATT customer too, but my internet was through Charter Cable at 60mb.  Switched to Charter TV and saved $80 month, and I can now watch anything on laptop or iPad.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm with Comcast right now with their triple play. Been them on and off for years. I'm thinking it's time to let them go. Too many options out there.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I don't think cutting the cord is there yet. Yet I said.

Last year I finally decided to try and lower my cable bill. (from about $130/mo. for TV only!) Actually it's satellite. See, I was a Dish Network customer for 10 years. Worked beautifully for me. About that time I was getting weekly mail from ATT to switch to Direct TV. So I looked around at ATT, Dish, and two other cable providers. Nobody at the time could come close to DTV so I switched. I even gave Dish Network at chance to match them but they couldn't. I subscribed for 2 years to DTV and my locked-in monthly bill is about $65/mo. for everything they offer except all the movie channel garbage and perhaps a seasonal sport package or two. In fact, my entire bill from ATT is $180/mo. That's for TV, internet, and cell phone. Yeah sure, I still pay for more TV channels than I ever watch but for $65/mo. it's almost a non-factor.

I think maybe the cord cutting craze might actually work out over the next couple of years. But it's not there yet. It's just not. That is without making some compromises that I'm not willing to make.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I "cut the cord" five-and-a-half years ago and haven't looked back.  My family and I don't watch a ton of television anyway so, we haven't really missed anything. We watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and MLB.TV with subscriptions on a Fire TV and Roku device.  As for Golf Channel, it streams free on the XTV and ChannelPEAR apps for Roku and ChannelPEAR on Fire TV.  

Archived