Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Jim Furyk DQ'd from The Barclays

Nasty Canasta

Jim Furyk DQ'd from The Barclays

Associated Press

PARAMUS, N.J. -- Jim Furyk picked a bad time to sleep in.

Furyk overslept Wednesday after his cell phone alarm clock lost power overnight, causing him to be late for his pro-am tee time in The Barclays. That left PGA Tour officials no choice but to disqualify him from the first of four FedEx Cup playoff events.

A two-time winner on tour this year, Furyk is No. 3 in the standings as the race for the $10 million prize gets under way at Ridgewood Country Club without him.

It is unlikely he will fall too far down the standings, although he eliminated any chance of improving.

"I'm kicking myself," Furyk said. "I have a way of climbing into situations that are all my fault."

Furyk sets his alarm on his cell phone, and he awoke at 7:23 a.m. ET to find out that his phone had lost power. He threw on some clothes and shoes, bolted out of his hotel room and rushed to Ridgewood, arriving at 7:35 a.m.

The pro-am was a shotgun start that began at 7:30 a.m. Furyk was to start on the 11th hole, and he realized when he arrived that he had no chance of getting there on time.

Furyk was in such a rush that he did not put on a belt or socks, and he still had not tied his shoes.

The PGA Tour adopted its policy on pro-ams in 2004 after some players began skipping the Wednesday events for suspect reasons. Now, players automatically are disqualified from the tournament if they miss the pro-am except for injury or family emergency.

Retief Goosen was disqualified from the Nissan Open in 2005 when he overslept and missed his pro-am.

Furyk said it was the second time in his career that he had overslept and missed a pro-am time. The other occasion was years ago at Bay Hill, when an alternate filled in for two holes until he arrived. That possibility no longer exists under the new policy.

Although he said he was upset about not playing Ridgewood or the tournament, Furyk said the worst of his disqualification was "to possibly, severely hurt a good year."

"I played my heart out all year," Furyk said. "I've got no one to blame but myself."

It might not be all that bad. A year ago, Zach Johnson was No. 3 in the standings. If he had not played the Barclays, he would have fallen only two spots to No. 5. Furyk will have to see how many players behind him in the rankings play well this week.

He was headed home to Florida before going up to the Deutsche Bank Championship, the second round of the playoffs, next week outside Boston. Furyk's children started school this week.

"And I wound up missing that, too," he said.

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

be sure to adjust your Fantasy Golf Team... that would suck...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I think it was a little stiff too. But he made it to the course 5 minutes late. He was not at the hole (that would have made him even later)and his playing partners probably already teed off. He would put the other guys behind if they were to wait on him.

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

Although I think the punishment is severe, just like DJ's gaff in the bunker and Inkster's screw up with the donut weight, rules is rules. Yanno... I bet the hotel had a wake up call service...

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I wrote this on another forum, but it sums up my feelings on the matter rather well:

The thing is, the rule has done what it was supposed to. Players don't just skip pro-ams on a whim because they feel like it. Furyk made an honest mistake and missed his tee time by 5 minutes. I mean, if he had joined his group in the first fairway do you think the corporate big-wig he was supposed to play with would have called foul and demanded his money back? I doubt it. At least he would have gotten to play 17.5 holes with Furyk, instead of the 0 he gets to play with Jim now.

I think it's a good rule, but they should take it on a case-by-case basis. From what I've heard Furyk has done this one other time in his long career, not exactly skipping epidemic.

If they give Furyk a break they PGA TOUR is worried about one thing: setting a precedent for other players to skip when ever they want to. Unless someone else honestly accidentally sleeps in, rushes to get to the course, and misses by 5 minutes I doubt an all-encompassing precedent would be created.

Archived