Tournaments: Do you play better or worse?

PokeForeLyfe

When do you play your best golf and why? Is it during a scramble? Maybe a casual round with friends? Is it during a stroke play tournament?

I'm a 3 handicap but I've struggle to play well both days of a stroke play tournament. I play well on league nights, in casual rounds, in match play and scrambles (though I dislike them) but I always have a bad round in stroke play that takes me out of contention. This last weekend for instance I had a company Scramble on Friday and always feel like I'm swinging differently as the guy trying to bomb tee shots for the group. I had a stroke play event on Saturday and my swing felt foreign all day as I struggled to an 85 on a par 71 course. Came back the next day with half the pre round warm up and fired a 73.

Is it stress? When you're out of contention does one relax more? How do you prepare to battle jitters or emotion or whatever gets you off track. Like to hear others experiences and thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I love two day stroke play tournaments because they test you. I've never won one but have done reasonably well in them. I have won one round tournaments.

The key is you never know. You may think that you are shooting a poor score but chances are if you are playing poorly others are too so just hang in there. 36 holes is a long time. Even when we have low handicaps we make mistakes and it's not like we play in a lot of these things so hang around, making pars, not doing anything crazy often jets great results.

In regards to prep and warm up I try to do the same things every time that I play regardless of whether it's league, casual, a tournament or something in between. I have the same pre-round routine for all of them.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have come to hate scrambles; specifically the adverse effect they have on my tempo. I'm certain your scramble partners appreciate the selfless bomber tee ball approach but your stroke play performance will subsequently suffer. Because consistent golf is a fantasy without consistent tempo.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I detest scrambles because I tend to try and play the "hero" shot instead of playing my game and I hit a lot of ugly shots because of it.

As far as stroke play events, at my handicap I struggle to post a consistent 18 hole score whether its a tournament or a casual round...seems like there is always a blow up hole or 3 involved.

Heck I played 9 holes on Sunday and posted a 42...pretty solid for me right?? now consider I had 1 triple, 1 double, 1 bogey and 6 pars.... :blink:

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

When do you play your best golf and why? Is it during a scramble? Maybe a casual round with friends? Is it during a stroke play tournament?

I'm a 3 handicap but I've struggle to play well both days of a stroke play tournament. I play well on league nights, in casual rounds, in match play and scrambles (though I dislike them) but I always have a bad round in stroke play that takes me out of contention. This last weekend for instance I had a company Scramble on Friday and always feel like I'm swinging differently as the guy trying to bomb tee shots for the group. I had a stroke play event on Saturday and my swing felt foreign all day as I struggled to an 85 on a par 71 course. Came back the next day with half the pre round warm up and fired a 73.

Is it stress? When you're out of contention does one relax more? How do you prepare to battle jitters or emotion or whatever gets you off track. Like to hear others experiences and thoughts.

The best rounds I've played were local/provincial tournaments that were both stroke and handicapped. I think I like having a little pressure. Keeps my head in the game every shot

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

for me it tends to happen most when i'm having a good time.. If I'm relaxed and enjoying who i'm playing with then good things happen. I have won two league championships, and both times i was having fun and relaxed.. both were 2 day stroke and handicap tournaments. 

I shot my best round ever in a weekly league play. again having fun.. I think that is the key, have fun relax and enjoy yourself.

that's why we play.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I've rarely done well in stroke play tournaments, lots of distractions and people asked you on every holes what you just shot. I can tune out a lot of things and I hardly let anything bother me.

I have not been in any tournament lately but the last few, I shot about 3-4 strokes above my handicap per round. It's something I'll be working on when I start getting in to more tourney.

Lately it has been both. Won the 4th of July partners event low gross and made it to the round of 8 from a 64 man start in our season long match play event giving 14 shots in round 1, 8 in round 2 and 10 in round 3. Still seems I have one blow up hole in the round that I need to get rid of but better than the two or three I had a month ago.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Scrambles are fun as long as the company you keep allows you to have fun. I would bet most people play better in scrambles as pressure is off. I played in one on Monday and had a fantastic time due to the group. We drank a lot and tried to make the best out of our time. I don't take them seriously. My focus on every shot is not there.

I honestly play the best when I have some blood on the game. Money helps me focus so much more. My handicap dropped 3 strokes when I started playing nassau's, skins or Wolf with my buddies which was not a great thing! Lol. I like my strokes when I can get them.

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

I probably play better when in a tournament. If I'm out just having fun I don't focus as hard.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The key to tournament golf is to have fun, and just play golf like you would with the guys, unfortunately for some of us, me, we (I) get to thinking, and then I might as well go home because I've got no shot, and can barely hit the ball sometimes.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Don't play them (much) anymore. I'll play the city championship in a few weeks and shortly after that the club championship. But to answer the question.... I play like I always do I suppose. Some days better than others. just like everyone else in the field. I don't do any special prep and stuff. I just go out and play and let the chips fall.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I normally play terrible in a scramble, but also have played several match play tournaments where I played way over my abilities.  If it's individual, I tend to play a little better, but I tend to try stupid stuff in team events.  Individual match play is by far my favorite type of tournament to play in. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I love them. Me against the course. No one to blame but myself. But I just can't seem to relax or find my game until about half way through a first round. First nine is usually rough and will have a double or triple bogey in it. My swing feels tense and out of sync. When I play more casual rounds I rarely even have a double. Guess I need to figure out how to relax more during that opening round and remember my basic swing thought each shot. Maybe this is the mental part that pros are so much better with. It's just frustrating because I have the ability to compete in every tournament I play in but only seem to be competitive once a year.

Personally I think I stress myself out with it comes to tournaments.  I definitely think that when you are just out playing or playing in a scramble you definitely relax more and you know you are out for the fun of it.

During tournaments you don't want to basically embarrass yourself so you are putting the pressure on yourself to shoot a good score and then it just sits in the back of your head.  It makes those 3 foot puts that are normally no problem seem like an issue and then you start missing those and it stays with you the whole round. 

I know any time I play golf I am way to hard on myself and I get myself all worked up and that's the one thing I know I need to start doing is just dropping the last shot and moving on to the next.  Can't dwell on anything just have to move forward.

Archived