Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Forum Cliques

ole gray

Have you ever joined a forum where you felt totally left out? The best thing about MGS is everybody is a member of the "in" crowd. Nobody should ever feel like a red headed step child on this forum. It's for high posters or low posters, readers or reviewers, shy or loud, it doesn't matter.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Of course. I know many of us can name a few forums like that. I would also bet there are people that say that exact thing about MGS. Maybe it is perception maybe it is reality; hard to prove either way and there are always two sides to any story.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Of course. I know many of us can name a few forums like that. I would also bet there are people that say that exact thing about MGS. Maybe it is perception maybe it is reality; hard to prove either way and there are always two sides to any story.

Why do you think some forums feel  more like home than others?

Cleveland

Why do you think some forums feel more like home than others?

Interesting question. I think every forum has a niche and while you may not feel included in the forum as a whole you could probably find a spot where you could feel included.

Some thoughts:

- larger forums have a tendency to have a lot of junk related information that I will skip which will cause me to lose interest in many of the discussions but if you participate in those discussion in creates that clique that bonds certain forum members.

- I think it is also dependent on how the moderAtors operate. Often the forum leaders are so dominate in their opinions or their vast knowledge you feel attacked when posing a differing view even though you have knowledge on the topic.

- Large forums have many responses to topics that may cause you input to fall through the cracks because it is 10 pages back 5 minutes after the post.

-Depends on how often you can access the forums and read/post information.

- people just have differing interests and they don't come together on the forum.

- It is just how the world works. Some people do whatever they can to fit in others don't have the time to put in the necessary effort.

- small forums suffer from the lack of immediate responses so people feel neglected. Case in point on this forum there was a member who asked a question on here after being told this was a good forum. No on responded for a while and he followed up saying he was turned off because on other forums he would have had dozens of responses within the hour.

Ultimately, there can be lots of reasons and not all are forum related. I think the problem is more obvious on the larger forums. But even looking here, people would probably see those with high post counts as a cliquish. Outside of the internet why do some places feel like home more than others? Same reasons apply there.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Why do you think some forums feel more like home than others?

When the cliques gang up and bash people for what they perceive to be "bad posts" it'll definitely deter folks from wanting to post. In situations like this, they get more out of getting a rise out of people than actually having decent discussions.

Internet trolls play golf too.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Interesting question. I think every forum has a niche and while you may not feel included in the forum as a whole you could probably find a spot where you could feel included.

Some thoughts:

- larger forums have a tendency to have a lot of junk related information that I will skip which will cause me to lose interest in many of the discussions but if you participate in those discussion in creates that clique that bonds certain forum members.

- I think it is also dependent on how the moderAtors operate. Often the forum leaders are so dominate in their opinions or their vast knowledge you feel attacked when posing a differing view even though you have knowledge on the topic.

- Large forums have many responses to topics that may cause you input to fall through the cracks because it is 10 pages back 5 minutes after the post.

-Depends on how often you can access the forums and read/post information.

- people just have differing interests and they don't come together on the forum.

- It is just how the world works. Some people do whatever they can to fit in others don't have the time to put in the necessary effort.

- small forums suffer from the lack of immediate responses so people feel neglected. Case in point on this forum there was a member who asked a question on here after being told this was a good forum. No on responded for a while and he followed up saying he was turned off because on other forums he would have had dozens of responses within the hour.

Ultimately, there can be lots of reasons and not all are forum related. I think the problem is more obvious on the larger forums. But even looking here, people would probably see those with high post counts as a cliquish. Outside of the internet why do some places feel like home more than others? Same reasons apply there.

Dude this is soooooo true and especially about thread riders.  Thread riders are those who find a certain topic of interest and set camp.  It's like the cigar thread here where you will find all sorts of information about how to smoke, cut, and buy cigars.  I don't smoke cigars so I have not interest there.  I hate it when people don't have their questions answered and can see how this would turn them off.

Cleveland

When the cliques gang up and bash people for what they perceive to be "bad posts" it'll definitely deter folks from wanting to post. In situations like this, they get more out of getting a rise out of people than actually having decent discussions.

Internet trolls play golf too.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

I've seen people called trolls just because their opinion may not suit the rulers.

Cleveland

Of course I have....I was on one where I was part of the in crowd for awhile but got pushed aside over time for new blood.

It I found a new home here...hope I don't wear out my Welcome here

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Dude this is soooooo true and especially about thread riders. Thread riders are those who find a certain topic of interest and set camp. It's like the cigar thread here where you will find all sorts of information about how to smoke, cut, and buy cigars. I don't smoke cigars so I have not interest there. I hate it when people don't have their questions answered and can see how this would turn them off.

Thread riders.

I have learned a new term lol.

I've never heard this before

Do they have a club? Do they wear pullover vest with their club colors hahaha.

Tweak out their pull carts I bet.

Sorry I've got a mental image of these guys going down the fairway and it tickled me.

BigTazz

Grip in Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball!

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I think Consil some really great points.

One of which is the Mods. On MGS the MODS do such a great job of staying in the background and not steering the direction of a thread.

They all offer such great thoughts. I wish they would post a bit more. Just a personal opinion.

John and Tony and Chris and Dave all out out some of the best golf pieces I read all year.

Nobody equals them in that regard. Nobody comes close. And I'm not being a Homer by saying thar.

I know several THP members who will never poet here for some strange reason. But they rave about the writing of those pieces.

Also the welcoming environment. I hate to hear a new member may have left for thst reason. I try and participate in threads by new members as much as I can. Guess I need to do better in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Thread riders.

I have learned a new term lol.

I've never heard this before

Do they have a club? Do they wear pullover vest with their club colors hahaha.

Tweak out their pull carts I bet.

Sorry I've got a mental image of these guys going down the fairway and it tickled me.

BigTazz

Grip in Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball!

Some thread riders camp in the equipment sales thread, some camp in the instructional threads, and some camp in the equipment reviews.  Where ever they may be they are a happy bunch of riders. :D 

Cleveland

Why do you think some forums feel  more like home than others?

I truly believe it has a lot to do with where the members are in this thing we call life. The membership here seems to be a very mature, well balanced, confident and cordial group of people who have more interests than just golf.

This forum, at least for me, moves at about just the right pace to keep up with everything that going on here. 

There doesn't  appear to be a ton of "know it all" trolls, that really don't, who want to share their opinion and attack anyone who has a contrary opinion. 

There's a good mix of skill and not so skilled golfers here so there is a lot to teach and lot for people to learn. Other golf forums I've been on miraculously are made up of 95% of the worlds best golfers who all drive the ball well over 300 yards and look down on anyone that can't hit a 7-iron 185 yards. 

Civility goes a long way to making a place feel like home. This is something 90% of internet forums lack. If you have a different opinion, that's cool I may make another post clarifying my point, but I am not going to go into attack mode and tell you in 3 subsequent posts why you are an idiot. So far, I have not seen any of those behaviors exhibited here, which is why I set-up camp here.

PEACE

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I truly believe it has a lot to do with where the members are in this thing we call life. The membership here seems to be a very mature, well balanced, confident and cordial group of people who have more interests than just golf.

This forum, at least for me, moves at about just the right pace to keep up with everything that going on here. 

There doesn't  appear to be a ton of "know it all" trolls, that really don't, who want to share their opinion and attack anyone who has a contrary opinion. 

There's a good mix of skill and not so skilled golfers here so there is a lot to teach and lot for people to learn. Other golf forums I've been on miraculously are made up of 95% of the worlds best golfers who all drive the ball well over 300 yards and look down on anyone that can't hit a 7-iron 185 yards. 

Civility goes a long way to making a place feel like home. This is something 90% of internet forums lack. If you have a different opinion, that's cool I may make another post clarifying my point, but I am not going to go into attack mode and tell you in 3 subsequent posts why you are an idiot. So far, I have not seen any of those behaviors exhibited here, which is why I set-up camp here.

PEACE

Well said Hammer, well said.....

Cleveland

I would add that I think MGS is impressive based on the quality and quantity of comments that the blog post articles receive as well.

I'm not suggesting there aren't trolls and poor quality posts. But the shear number of posts is impressive relative to other golf sites and there are often some really thoughtful and informative comments posted. Have you ever checked out the comments on the that other popular golf news blog. Don't bother.

But here I go establishing a snobby MGS clique in opposition to all other golf websites. It was inevitable ole grey. Your post marked the beginning of the end.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I've always lived in my clicque of one. It's the coolest.

So you think lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived